GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#676467 - 12/02/10 04:56 PM Re: Games and widescreen monitors question? [Re: Demosthenes]
Upsydaisy Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Sunny Devon, United Kingdom
Ran a chkdsk and checked the system logs-this reported back that there were no problems.
While I was looking at the logs I checked back on past events and it looks that the '13th Skulls' were causing some problems.
I have played a couple of other Big Fish games today and these have not resulted in freeze-ups, I can only assume that some software is always going to have problems running.
Thanks to all for all the help I will get back to you if these problems re-occur. wave

#676473 - 12/02/10 05:36 PM Re: Games and widescreen monitors question? [Re: Upsydaisy]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
If you have further problems, let us know which games are having problems and which are not. There may be certain games that are buggy and don't work well on all computer configurations.

Also if you have problems with certain webpages, let us know which webpages are causing the problem. It may be the problem is not on your end.

#1142375 - 02/20/18 03:28 PM Re: Games and widescreen monitors question? [Re: Upsydaisy]
RichAlexis Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: The Netherlands
I felt like tagging on to this old thread, because it's about precisely this issue, though not in the sense of the initial poster.

As my old 17-inch 4:3-size LCD monitor is literally on the blink now after 13 years (flashing screen), I have to get a new one, and it's very likely that the only ones (readily) available are widescreen monitors. That is 16:9-format screens of 21.5", perhaps 24".

Now, I was wondering about playing older games designed for 4:3 (i.e. full-screen) on widescreen monitors, an issue which may extend to 4:3-based applications like multimedia CD-ROMs and DVD-ROMs.

What will happen if I try to play these games in full-screen mode? Will they get stretched horizontally? What if no windowed mode is available? And do widescreen monitors have a way to not only adjust the resolution, but also the screen size to 4:3 to overcome potential mismatches?

Which also makes me wonder about current screen resolutions. If they are at least 1920 x 1080 pixels, while my current 4:3 one has 1280 x 1024 at most, will I be saddled with an ultra-tiny screen if the game was designed for let's say 800 x 600 pixels?

I have an Intel HD 4600 graphics card by the way.

I do have a 12Noon Display Changer application which I use quite often, but I don't know how it will deal with widescreen displays.

Any ideas or experiences?

Best,

Rich

#1142392 - 02/20/18 07:32 PM Re: Games and widescreen monitors question? [Re: RichAlexis]
Jenny100 Offline
Sonic Boomer

Originally Posted By: RichAlexis
As my old 17-inch 4:3-size LCD monitor is literally on the blink now after 13 years (flashing screen), I have to get a new one, and it's very likely that the only ones (readily) available are widescreen monitors. That is 16:9-format screens of 21.5", perhaps 24".

A 21.5" 16:9 monitor is actually about half an inch shorter in height than a 17" 1280x1024 monitor.
So you may want to go with a 24" monitor if you're stuck with 16:9. You might not think half an inch is much, but it always makes me feel claustrophobic to have monitors so much shorter than they are wide. "Short screen" monitors bother me more than I would have thought.

What will happen if I try to play these games in full-screen mode? Will they get stretched horizontally? What if no windowed mode is available? And do widescreen monitors have a way to not only adjust the resolution, but also the screen size to 4:3 to overcome potential mismatches?

You should be able to find a monitor that has controls for "aspect" or "scaling" which will scale the image to fit on the screen. If you have to, download pdf manuals for different monitors and do a search for the words "aspect" or "scaling" (with an English pdf) to see if the monitors have scaling controls. There's always the option to stretch the image to fill the screen, but there should also be the option to scale the image on most monitors. Just make sure you get a monitor with the scaling option or you'll be stuck with a stretched screen or a postage stamp.

Which also makes me wonder about current screen resolutions. If they are at least 1920 x 1080 pixels, while my current 4:3 one has 1280 x 1024 at most

1280 x 1024 is 5:4, not 4:3.
Divide pixel width by height to get the ratio.
1280/1024 = 1.25 (or 5/4 or 5:4)
1600 x 1200 is 4:3 (1600/1200 = 4/3)
The difference between 5:4 and 4:3 is not as obvious as between 4:3 and widescreen so a lot of people don't notice the difference.

will I be saddled with an ultra-tiny screen if the game was designed for let's say 800 x 600 pixels?

It should be possible to get a monitor that will do scaling properly and maintain aspect ratio while increasing the size of the image from 800 by 600 pixels on a 1920 by 1080 screen (postage stamp) to 1440 by 1080 (full height with black bars on the sides).

Is it not possible to find another 1280x1024 monitor?
If you enjoy older "full screen" games, a full screen monitor is better.

If that's not possible, see if you can find 1920x1200 (16:10).
It's less "squinty" than 1920x1080 and less wasted screen space with older "full screen" games.

#1142495 - 02/21/18 01:04 PM Re: Games and widescreen monitors question? [Re: Jenny100]
RichAlexis Offline
Settled Boomer

Bravo, Jenny! praise What excellent and detailed suggestions!

I can again report immediate success here!

Today, I bought a 24" BenQ GW2470H widescreen monitor at a local store, from an owner who thankfully knows what he's talking about. The screen height is indeed 1 inch taller than the one I had (I never realized it was 5:4, thanks for pointing it out!), to avoid the ill-proportioned 'letterbox' effect you described. The store owner went through the PDF manual with me and the monitor menu, to ensure the screen size could indeed be adjusted.

Though its native, maximum screen resolution is indeed 1920 x 1080, by bringing it down once, just temporarily, to my old 1280 x 1024, by right-clicking my mouse on my desktop for screen resolution, I was able to get the old 5:4 screen display back again, with black bars at the left and right.

This enabled me to press the physical button at the bottom of my monitor to access the on-screen menu and choose Picture Advanced -> Display Mode, and change it from 'Full' (which in this case is native 16:9) to 'Aspect'. I could then change my screen resolution back to 1920 x 1080 on my desktop.

This 'Aspect' setting made the screen sensitive to the original aspect ratios of old games, in such a way that I could start games like Cryo's Jerusalem, Rome - Caesar's Will (from disks), and Kheops' Cleopatra and ECHO: Secrets of the Lost Cavern (both downloads), and each of them would automatically start in their appropriate 4:3 formats. After I had closed the games, the screen would automatically return to wide 1920 x 1080 again.

I really hadn't expected such plain sailing! Actually, I was quite apprehensive at first.

Again thanks a lot, and I hope other gamers will benefit from the description as well.

Best,

Rich

#1142506 - 02/21/18 04:34 PM Re: Games and widescreen monitors question? [Re: Upsydaisy]
Jenny100 Offline
Sonic Boomer

I'm glad you were able to find a monitor you're happy with.

#1142548 - 02/22/18 05:54 AM Re: Games and widescreen monitors question? [Re: Upsydaisy]
RichAlexis Offline
Settled Boomer

I can add that the shop owner advised me to keep using my D-Sub (VGA) cable to hook my monitor to the PC, because an analog cable like this would handle these scaling operations better than the digital alternatives HDMI and DVI.

Which is what I did!

Best,

Rich

#1142579 - 02/22/18 11:40 AM Re: Games and widescreen monitors question? [Re: Upsydaisy]
Draclvr Offline
Hints & Glitches forum Moderator
Adept Boomer

Loc: In Missouri near St. Louis
Interesting about the VGA... this shop owner sounds like a really great person to know!

#1142595 - 02/22/18 02:37 PM Re: Games and widescreen monitors question? [Re: Draclvr]
RichAlexis Offline
Settled Boomer

Originally Posted By: Draclvr
Interesting about the VGA... this shop owner sounds like a really great person to know!
I think so too, he's a very nice and helpful man ... if he is indeed right about the cables! I don't know why this would be, but so far my set-up has proved him right, and I haven't bothered to switch the cables.

Preserve the Mom and Pop Store! (intentional Seinfeld reference wink )

Rich

#1142613 - 02/22/18 04:40 PM Re: Games and widescreen monitors question? [Re: Upsydaisy]
Jenny100 Offline
Sonic Boomer

Neither of my two widescreen monitors is attached by VGA, but both are able to do scaling when using DVI or HDMI cables.

Maybe some model monitors don't scale (or don't scale well) unless you use VGA cables, but that's not true for all of them.

Many current generation video cards don't even have a VGA connection.

I think how well a monitor scales will depend on the model of the individual monitor. So even if your video card doesn't have a VGA connection, you can still find a monitor that will give good scaling options.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Draclvr, Jenny100 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
2 registered (Koala, Lex), 145 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Newest Members
GreatDetective, conrad32, Divyansh_Verma, jesblood, Meems
9014 Registered Users