Here we go for 2011
For regulars to the annual List, review the rules and have at it. Remember to list alphabetically - it makes it so much easier to count.
For newbies or those like me who forget things, this thread is about answering the question "I want to play adventure games, what would you recommend".
Playability is the key. For that reason, you might not include something that is notoriously difficult to get to run, or which has clunky graphics by today's standard, or has no sound apart from a tinny midi soundtrack. You might not recommend a game that rocked your world but nobody elses. You might not recommend every episode of Nancy Drew because really, they are all the same and one is plenty
Or you might. Many old games can be got to run and sites like GOG make them newly accessible, who said you need flashy graphics to tell a good story, and perhaps too many Nancy games is actually never enough.
The point is its up to you - if you think a game you have played is worth recommending to someone else to play, you can put it on your list.
So long of course as its an adventure game. And we all know what they are. Dead Space isn't one, however beautifully scripted you think it might be, but Myst is.
There are some rules though:
1. Games in our Hall of Fame are ineligible and votes for them will not be counted. Those games are:
Dark Fall: The Journal
Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within
Zork Grand Inqusitor
(Hall of Fame games have been “retired” on the basis that they always did well, and we no longer needed to list them to know they were worth playing. It means you can spread your choices more widely, and we will list the Hall of Fame games alongside this years results when finished).
2. You can recommend a maximum of 20 games. You can choose to recommend less.
3. You cannot recommend a series. If you want to recommend all the Tex Murphy games, that will take 5 seperate recommendations, one for each game.
4. The following episodic adventures will be counted as one game - Sam & Max Season 1, Sam & Max Season 2, Sam and Max - The Devils Playground, Wallace & Grommit, Strong Bad, Casebook, AGON, Tales of Monkey Island, Enter the Story, Back to the Future, City of Secrets, Adams Venture and Dream Machine (and any others I missed!!)
5. Uru and its add ons will be counted as one game.
6. BadMojo and the Redux version are one game.
7. Directors cuts and Special Releases will be counted as the same game.
8. Adventure games only please (Dark Side games and Casual games get their own lists).
If at all possible, please list in alphabetical order - it makes counting so much easier. In doing so, ignore "the" (so The Lost Crown would be under "L" for Lost)
The thread stays open for about 3 weeks, and I will post updates as we go. Also, avoid editiing your lists after posting because Chief and I count as we go, and may miss a change.
So who wants to go first?