GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Double Fine Adventure -- Woa! [Re: Tomer] #788799
02/17/12 10:41 AM
02/17/12 10:41 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
if it's been explained to you, Tomer, but you still don't see the relevance I doubt I can add anything that would change your mind lol

But I personally absolutely welcome a "DRM free" availability thumbsup

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Double Fine Adventure -- Woa! [Re: Becky] #788807
02/17/12 11:24 AM
02/17/12 11:24 AM
Tel Aviv, Israel.
T
Tomer Offline
Settled Boomer
Tomer  Offline
Settled Boomer
T

Tel Aviv, Israel.
Mad, it's not about changing my mind. I had no idea what it means, and he told me "well, for games like Heroes of might and magic for examples - they keep making sure you didn't rip the game", which sounded fair enough to me, and he said it is to prevent people from using online options when they didn't buy the game.

I don't understand how this is relevant for an adventure, that's all. That's why I asked it here.

There's definitely definitely definitely no logic to human behaviour.
Re: Double Fine Adventure -- Woa! [Re: Becky] #788817
02/17/12 12:04 PM
02/17/12 12:04 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
Just out of curiosity, Tomer, why do you say you don't see the relevance of objecting to DRM for adventure games? Is there another type of game that you would object to buying if it came with strings attached?

Gil.

"Best not to think about it. I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought."
Re: Double Fine Adventure -- Woa! [Re: Tomer] #788832
02/17/12 01:15 PM
02/17/12 01:15 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Tomer
I don't understand how this is relevant for an adventure, that's all. That's why I asked it here.

OK let's assume you are one of those people who NEVER replays an adventure game a few years later -- either because you have an incredible memory and can remember everything in a game you played 5+ years ago, or because you refuse to play games with graphics that look 5+ years old, or because for whatever reason you refuse to play "older" games or games you have played before. So you have no use for backing up a game to reinstall and replay a few years down the road without needing to "phone home" to some server that no longer exists to activate it.

Let's assume you've never had a virus -- nor had a hard drive fail while playing a game, or other computer problems that necessitated a new install on a different computer or a freshly formatted hard drive.

Let's assume you have a lightning fast internet connection that never stalls out during a download or produces a corrupt download, so you never use up your 3 allotted downloads.

Let's assume you've always received the emails that contain activation codes promptly and without having to email to request them several times.

Let's assume you've never had problems activating, or if you did, you heard back from support immediately and the problem was cleared up in less than a day.

Let's assume you never had a conflict between your game and something else on your system -- like an antivirus or anti-malware program that deleted your game exe or firewall that blocked your activation.

If all these are the case, and you've never had to deal with this sort of aggravation, then maybe "DRM-free" is nothing for you personally to be excited about. But for those who've had difficulties with DRM, or who object to it on principle, or who have the foresight to see the problems it could cause down the road, "DRM-free" is great news.

It's not just a matter of "owning" the games you buy and being able to replay them whenever you want on any system you want, even if it's a few years after you bought them. It's often a matter of being able to play them at all -- even once:

Check the problems with DRM and support that people have had with "Corrosion -- Cold Winter" in ***this thread*** and ***here***.

Someone from the company sent in some tech support suggestions -- but because of the restrictive DRM and limits on downloads and activations, the suggestions won't work.

Hopefully now you can see why some adventure gamers are excited when a game like this from a famous developer is released with no DRM.

Re: Double Fine Adventure -- Woa! [Re: Becky] #788917
02/17/12 07:04 PM
02/17/12 07:04 PM
Tel Aviv, Israel.
T
Tomer Offline
Settled Boomer
Tomer  Offline
Settled Boomer
T

Tel Aviv, Israel.
I don't understand at all why everyone are so upset - what I meant to say is that I didn't understand the *meaning* of this - like I didn't understand what DRM implies for adventures - I do now! I never had such problems or had read of these problems before. I appreciate the explanation although I found all your comments rather aggressive - I simply had no idea what DRM stands for and didn't know its implications! That's why I wrote: "dumb question". I couldn't really get this information in Google so I asked the forum members.

I wasn't arguing anything or claiming anything, I don't know how one can understand it from either of my posts...

Oh well, I hope you're all calm now... I have nothing against it.

Last edited by Tomer; 02/17/12 07:06 PM.

Re: Double Fine Adventure -- Woa! [Re: Becky] #788930
02/17/12 07:34 PM
02/17/12 07:34 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Tomer, not upset here. I don't get the big to do over DRM either. I do not like invasive software but most of these are just checking you purchased it legitimately and aren't sharing. I do not have a problem with that at all.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Double Fine Adventure -- Woa! [Re: Becky] #788931
02/17/12 07:35 PM
02/17/12 07:35 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
I am sorry, Tomer. I thought you knew that DRM stood for Digital Rights Management and all that implies. I do apologize.

Gil.

"Best not to think about it. I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought."
Re: Double Fine Adventure -- Woa! [Re: Becky] #788936
02/17/12 07:45 PM
02/17/12 07:45 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I'm sorry if you read my post as being "aggressive" because it was intended to be thorough, not aggressive. I'm not sure why you saw it as aggressive, but at least it seems to have answered your question.

Re: Double Fine Adventure -- Woa! [Re: Becky] #789023
02/18/12 06:05 AM
02/18/12 06:05 AM
Tel Aviv, Israel.
T
Tomer Offline
Settled Boomer
Tomer  Offline
Settled Boomer
T

Tel Aviv, Israel.
Alrighty all :-)

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 206 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users