GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Torins Passage #810100
05/20/12 05:59 PM
05/20/12 05:59 PM
oldmariner Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Gog released this old Sierra classic updated for newer systems. This is not my typical in depth review as Syd's review here says it all. Review

The Gog version played well on Windows 7 and followed the old walk throughs found on the net faithfully. Presently at $5.95 you can hardly go wrong.

I found one glitch, well I will call it a glitch. Just before you enter the final scene a critical action would not complete.
Click to reveal..
Dreeb the witch's side kick is suppose to step off a ledge allowing you entry into her chamber.
No matter what I did the game refused to cooperate. Ultimately I replayed the prior chapter doing nothing differently and this time it worked. I suspect it must have been a glitch.

There are only twenty save slots and windows 7 makes you work to find saved games. Here is the path to locate them.
(C:\Documents and settings\user name\Local Settings\Virtual Store\ProgramFilesX-86\Gog. com\Torins Passage

Once you find the Torins Passage folder the saves are listed in numerical order in the following format. Torinsg.000

It was quite a hunt to find them as these files were buried deeper than normal for Win7.
I mean the Gog version of TLJ only had four layers to sift through before reaching the save folder. Happy hunting.

It is a great game and now that you can get it cheaply and ready to play on modern machines it becomes a can't miss.

I resisted going over the basics for this game as others have already done so. About all that needs being said is the gog version works well and be prepared in case you run into the glitch that bit me. Save often even if you only have twenty slots. If you manage to kill Torin at least he comes back at the beginning of the tricky spot. There are no quick reflex action scenes to cause frustration.It is all point and click with plenty of humorous one liners.

EDIT
Something that came up in a Hints Forum thread I forgot to mention.

The game renders automatically in dosbox which is included in the game download. The opening scenes appear very small. About post card sized. It remains that way until the game gives you player control. Once that happens the game renders full size in the Dosbox window. Dosbox opens in a window. For those of you unfamiliar with Dosbox, don't panic. Pressing both the ALT and ENTER keys at the same time will toggle the program to full screen. Repeating the action will return it to windowed format.

Yes you have to put up with the post card but only until the game starts.

Last edited by oldmariner; 05/20/12 10:07 PM.
Re: Torins Passage [Re: oldmariner] #810204
05/21/12 07:24 AM
05/21/12 07:24 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Stony Brook, New York, USA
Hi oldmariner -- thanks for a very helpful review! I played this game years ago -- it came preinstalled on my (then) new computer with (as I recall) Windows 3.1.

I didn't manage to finish the game, but have since dumped the old computer. Maybe I should now consider getting it from GOG and seeing if I can get all the way through. grin

I agree -- the game has a good sense of humor and is an amusing play.

Re: Torins Passage [Re: Becky] #810523
05/22/12 12:39 PM
05/22/12 12:39 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Thanks oldmariner thumbsup

I won't admit to just how many times I've replayed this game.
It's a real favourite and my old Win98SE machine still runs it perfectly.

[But, I've bought the GOG version as well .... for back up lol]

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 334 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users