GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#810633 - 05/22/12 08:40 PM Re: DTP files for bankruptcy in Germany [Re: Carla]
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Rivellon
Personally, I don't think KickStarter would work for the type of games big publishers put out. They are very polished and they cost a lot. They won't be made quickly enough to suit the KickStarter crowd, at least I don't think so. Their games are more likely to sell already made since you see one and you immediately want it and Bingo! there goes your money. Expecting people to cough up millions for an adventure game sight unseen from most developers...I seriously doubt it's going to happen. The younger generation(s) are much more likely to plough their ready cash into an FPS anyway, IMO. sad

Gil.

#810637 - 05/22/12 09:01 PM Re: DTP files for bankruptcy in Germany [Re: traveler]
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
"I'm a bit split about Kickstarter; on one hand I absolutely love the idea that developers can be free of the typical restrictions and make just the kind of game they want (like Wasteland 2), but on the other hand I don't want everything to become a kickstarter-project either."

That's exactly how I feel, too, Drizzt rolleyes

#810675 - 05/23/12 05:10 AM Re: DTP files for bankruptcy in Germany [Re: Carla]
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Loc: Stony Brook, New York, USA
It's funny how impressions differ! I thought it was the younger crowd who were supporting the Kickstarter projects, and it was taking us older gamers (who are more cautious) longer to get used to the idea.

#810694 - 05/23/12 06:52 AM Re: DTP files for bankruptcy in Germany [Re: Carla]
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Global Moderator PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

Loc: In the Naughty Corner
I think the same as you do Becky! lol

#810704 - 05/23/12 07:27 AM Re: DTP files for bankruptcy in Germany [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
rmt Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: London, UK
One quick look at the Pinkerton Road forum, the section about introduce yourself, shows that most of them were even playing text adventure games in the early 80s. I must assume it represents most of the backers? Rare are the young ones. Which is to be expected, it is a revival of Sierra and Lucas Arts games, most of these Kickstarter projects...

#810714 - 05/23/12 08:50 AM Re: DTP files for bankruptcy in Germany [Re: Carla]
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Interesting topic on the Pinkerton Road forum. I've glanced through, and most of the gamers posting their ages seem to be in their 20s and early 30s.

RMT -- perhaps that strikes you as old?

Cough. Cough. grin

#810735 - 05/23/12 10:30 AM Re: DTP files for bankruptcy in Germany [Re: Carla]
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer

Taking my teeth out of the water glass to ask, does anyone know if DTP games that were finished or almost finished can or will be released while this bankruptcy business is going on? I'm thinking specifically of Zerzura.

Gil.

#810740 - 05/23/12 10:42 AM Re: DTP files for bankruptcy in Germany [Re: Carla]
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Traveler -- I don't think anyone knows for sure. We're all waiting for more information, and hoping it'll be good news.

Becky picks up a cane and limps across the room, having just realized how truly old she is.

Edited by Becky (05/23/12 10:44 AM)

#810753 - 05/23/12 11:34 AM Re: DTP files for bankruptcy in Germany [Re: Carla]
8dognight Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: deep south
Is DTP going out of business bankrupt or in the German equivalent of what, I think, in this country is called Chapter 11 which exists for restructuring?

#810754 - 05/23/12 11:35 AM Re: DTP files for bankruptcy in Germany [Re: Carla]
rmt Offline
Settled Boomer

Becky, perhaps you are right, still many of them certainly did say they played text adventure games and listed the old computers they used to have, computers I've never heard of, some with screens that were only green and black with 4 KB of memory. I wonder today what these computers were good for... and yet they must have been considered the Quantum Computers of their days.

And for the record, I am 39 and I consider myself young... (ish)...

Cough cough... atchoum! (loud sneeze in French) (not sure how to simulate choking in English or French)

#810755 - 05/23/12 11:39 AM Re: DTP files for bankruptcy in Germany [Re: rmt]
rmt Offline
Settled Boomer

Thank God they only filed for bankruptcy after Gray Matter came out. And thank God Jane Jensen has the intellectual property to do Gray Matter 2. Can you imagine?

#810757 - 05/23/12 11:46 AM Re: DTP files for bankruptcy in Germany [Re: rmt]
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer

Originally Posted By: rmt

Cough cough... atchoum! (loud sneeze in French) (not sure how to simulate choking in English or French)

"Gack" is a good one in English. I've always liked it. It sounds as if you're trying to get something out of your throat. The dictionary doesn't agree with me. I found one that says it's the sound of a cat coughing up a hairball. grin

Becky, slow down. I can't keep up with you. Somebody take that cane away from her.

Gil.

#810759 - 05/23/12 11:48 AM Re: DTP files for bankruptcy in Germany [Re: traveler]
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
........ and pass it to me, please !! rotfl

#810778 - 05/23/12 12:25 PM Re: DTP files for bankruptcy in Germany [Re: Carla]
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

"Gack" is the sound my ancient lungs make as I lean over to to turn on the computer. razz

Rmt -- enjoy your youth while you still can!

Hyuck! Huck! (Old-fasioned laughter by geezer/hick)

8dognight -- I don't know if it's a liquidation or a restructuring. Maybe one of our German members who can read all the details (and perhaps has a law degree) can tell us?

Hoping it's a restructuring, of course.

Edited by Becky (05/23/12 12:28 PM)

#810824 - 05/23/12 04:32 PM Re: DTP files for bankruptcy in Germany [Re: Carla]
Karsten Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Denmark, Europe
I don't know what bankruptcy involves re: german laws, but there's a thread here from about a month ago at rpgwatvh. com where they discuss the news that dtp is 'insolvent'.

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16968

Zyklop's post on page 2 says this:

Quote:
German IT portal "heise" has more informations about it:
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldu…t-1564414.html

According to this news it is a "planned insolvency", the goal is to restructure the company and release all announced titles (e.g. Game of Thrones and Memento Mori 2) in time.

I hope, like all, here, that the plan is to restructure.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BrownEyedTigre, Marian, Rushes 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
11 registered (family, Pokey, Marian, Pandora, LadyKestrel, Rowan, Upsydaisy, Sassy, manxman, Redz), 125 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Jerrnej, greacia, Jason_Encore, DeanandKate, RisinGoat
8505 Registered Users