GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage    
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#823976 - 07/19/12 05:31 PM My take on gray matter so far...
cruise02 Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: On the computer
Having played thru all of chapters 1 and 2 of gray matter, i think these experiments that david styles is doing is, he's practicing on people what he wants to accomplish - he wants to use what he learns from using these college students as practice material to artificially re-create present-day sensations of having his wife back with him, living and well. Styles is really another one of these mad scientists, just like dr. Frankenstein who wanted to re-create life in the form of a man (yes, I have both the Frankenstein DVD movie and the game, thru the eyes of Frankenstein).

Also, I think styles doesn't want to have to face the truth that his wife is gone, by using artificial memories, this is how he wants to live in a fantasy world.

Having said this, I'm even more interested in playing gray matter and seeing this mad doctor and learning what happens to him as a result of these artificial memories of having his wife with him in the (his day, really) present-day.

#823978 - 07/19/12 05:39 PM Re: My take on gray matter so far... [Re: cruise02]
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Global Moderator PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

Loc: In the Naughty Corner
Are these spoilers by chance for those that haven't played? I have not played so if they are can you please put in spoiler tags.

#823983 - 07/19/12 06:32 PM Re: My take on gray matter so far... [Re: cruise02]
MaG Offline
Administrator
Sonic Boomer

Not really. wink

#823985 - 07/19/12 06:41 PM Re: My take on gray matter so far... [Re: cruise02]
The Haze Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: SE Michigan
For the first time in a long time, I found Gray Matter to be a new game that my computer would play. Except..I hated it! mad Why must a female lead character in a story walk and speak like a floozie? There seem to be more and more unlikable, overly-curvaceous, females taking charge of Adventure Games. Kate Walker was an educated adult and those two games were pretty well received. Could we have a few more grownup, educated, and personable women please! (FYI, I'm a 65 year man with no political axe to grind.)

Edited by The Haze (07/19/12 06:43 PM)
Edit Reason: I spell badly!

#823986 - 07/19/12 06:46 PM Re: My take on gray matter so far... [Re: cruise02]
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Global Moderator PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

Loc: In the Naughty Corner
Thank you!

#823991 - 07/19/12 07:34 PM Re: My take on gray matter so far... [Re: The Haze]
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: london uk
I know Sam wasn't particularly likeable to start with but I wouldn't have described her as a floozy! There were a few hints in the game as to her background & she came across as a young women leaving her past behind to pursue an opportunity who became embroiled in events in the present. IMO the story was brilliant but I suspect not realised to the extent JJ envisaged. A very good reason why I would dearly have loved Gray Matter 2 to have been the 1st game to be made after her kickstarter campaign. GM2 would have been a great opportunity to give more substance to the characters & build on the story in her own way rather than from the interpretations of it from an independant development/publisher company which is what seemed to have happened with GM1!

#824011 - 07/19/12 09:20 PM Re: My take on gray matter so far... [Re: The Haze]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
Originally Posted By: The Haze
Why must a female lead character in a story walk and speak like a floozie?

But that's the only way she 'can' walk in those tight pants.

#824030 - 07/19/12 11:31 PM Re: My take on gray matter so far... [Re: Jenny100]
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
rotfl rotfl rotfl

#824187 - 07/20/12 05:18 PM Re: My take on gray matter so far... [Re: Jenny100]
cruise02 Offline
Addicted Boomer

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
Originally Posted By: The Haze
Why must a female lead character in a story walk and speak like a floozie?

But that's the only way she 'can' walk in those tight pants.

Why do some players think Sam acts like a Floozie?

I looked floozie up on Google's free dictionary and it says "young woman with loose morals," "a disreputable young woman," but I'm not sure if Sam has any loose morals or not, or if she is disreputable, but I do know that, if Sam were a real person and if she were one of my local friends I sure wouldn't trust her around my computer stuff or around our house.

she acts sort of "slick", or Street-wise, IMO, b/c she fools people by sleight-of hand tricks - the Magic Entertainer's trademark.

I recall from my late teenage years at Trashnoma, I was going with a girl who acted a bit like Sam (although she never did any magic tricks) who I thought was a true friend, but this girl turned out to be a false friend who was slick, street-wise, and she'd often give me the slip by directing my attention elsewhere and then hurrying away while my back was turned, this so-called "friend" was actually a mean, verbally abusive person of my Trashnoma (private day school for emotionally disturbed teenagers) school days, but anyway this girl from my old teenage school days would take things from me sort of the same way that Sam does in GM when she "does her tricks" - both Sam and this girl from Trashnoma are real pretenders rather than honest folks, IMMHO.

#824195 - 07/20/12 06:31 PM Re: My take on gray matter so far... [Re: cruise02]
oldman Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Lost in the Arizona Desert
Well I actually liked the game. I liked everything about it (with the exception of that horrendous maze).

I liked Sam and thought she was a good character. So she was somewhat of a con artist or huxter or whatever you want to consider her. That's the way she was able to solve the mystery and get on with the game. Had she been a Pollyanna type the story wouldn't have been half as interesting.

Funny I don't remember being absent minded.

John

#824196 - 07/20/12 06:34 PM Re: My take on gray matter so far... [Re: cruise02]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
Originally Posted By: cruise02
if Sam were a real person and if she were one of my local friends I sure wouldn't trust her around my computer stuff or around our house.

Isn't that true of almost any protagonist in an adventure game? They're always picking up stuff that doesn't belong to them and absconding with it.

#824203 - 07/20/12 07:19 PM Re: My take on gray matter so far... [Re: Jenny100]
cruise02 Offline
Addicted Boomer

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
Originally Posted By: cruise02
if Sam were a real person and if she were one of my local friends I sure wouldn't trust her around my computer stuff or around our house.

Isn't that true of almost any protagonist in an adventure game? They're always picking up stuff that doesn't belong to them and absconding with it.

Gee, I never really noticed this, actually - since I was so deeply involved in the gameplay during my AG playing sessions. But I guess this is what makes these games sell so well.

Also, I gather (as of this very moment) that the AG-world is a totally different world (with different rules) than is the Real Life - world that we gamers live in during our "off of the computer" life - I reckon that this is what is meant by the video game term, "virtual reality"?

#824204 - 07/20/12 07:22 PM Re: My take on gray matter so far... [Re: cruise02]
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Loc: Stony Brook, New York, USA
Games are not reality. Yes, they are a different world entirely, which is one of their attractions.

#824205 - 07/20/12 07:28 PM Re: My take on gray matter so far... [Re: Becky]
cruise02 Offline
Addicted Boomer

Originally Posted By: Becky
Games are not reality. Yes, they are a different world entirely, which is one of their attractions.

Yep, Becky, I feel myself *maturing* regarding the way I was even 6 months - a year (or more) ago when it comes to wanting to pretend my off the computer Real Life operated much in the same way as the AG world does - now I realize that AG's are meant for relaxation following a honest day's worth of working at whatever job the game's owner(s) happen to have - OK with me. wink

#824208 - 07/20/12 08:03 PM Re: My take on gray matter so far... [Re: cruise02]
The Haze Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: SE Michigan
blush I don't want to beat this for too long, but I think my biggest complaint about the character is, oddly, that she isn't a floozie. If that's the case, and I agree that it probably is, why does she have to be scripted and drawn as if she is one. If she is a fairly decent person in context of an adventure game, do we need the super-tight jeans; the undulating walk; and the rather crass voice patterns?

I can fully understand when characters are evil or vile or whatever bad type they need to be. That's a reasonable part of any story line. I guess I am simply really weary of nastiness and crassness for its own sake. If nobody else sees her that way, I suppose I'll have to face the fact that I simply lack perception. I'll also have to recognize that is really is "Only a game."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BrownEyedTigre, Marian, Rushes 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
6 registered (Kaki's Sister, Moondancer, Cathy1, jboliver, Urban Worrier, 1 invisible), 53 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Mr_Underhill, Lani, Rachissa, marmarmargar, deadbringer
8579 Registered Users