GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Help Asylum get on Steam! [Re: Carla] #835943
09/16/12 08:04 PM
09/16/12 08:04 PM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Quote:
Of course, there are other choices for your online shopping (ie: GOG). However, Steam accounts for roughly 70% sales of ALL PC games. Just to put things into perspective...

I've been searching for the 70% of PC sales stat, and the closest I could get was a 2009 report by Stardock, which said that Steam counted for 70% of digital distribution (not all PC games). Interestingly, I can't find the original .pdf doc that gave specifics (all the links I can find for the 2009 doc are inactive).

I remember reading the Stardock report when it came out, and as far as I recall, it did not include the casual game portals like Big Fish. Apparently they don't count? lol

If anyone can find a copy of the Stardock report, I'd love to read it again to see if memory is playing tricks on me. wink

In terms of the PC games sections shrinking in stores --sadly, yes, it's happening. I was in Best Buy today and the PC game section was about one fifth of the size it was a few years ago. frown

Last edited by Becky; 09/16/12 08:06 PM.
Re: Help Asylum get on Steam! [Re: Carla] #835950
09/16/12 08:35 PM
09/16/12 08:35 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Becky, it states your statistics here.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Help Asylum get on Steam! [Re: Carla] #835978
09/17/12 12:19 AM
09/17/12 12:19 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
http://www.stardock.com/press/CustomerReports/Stardock2009.pdf

On p. 7 of the pdf
Quote:
Our estimation is that Steam - as the current market leader - enjoys approximately 70% of the overall digital distribution market with Impulse at 10% and all others combined at 20% in terms of actual dollars generated per month. Steam and Impulse both have the advantage of exclusive content (Left 4 Dead, Half-Life, Sins of a Solar Empire, Demigod, etc.).

Re: Help Asylum get on Steam! [Re: Carla] #836029
09/17/12 07:34 AM
09/17/12 07:34 AM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

The breakdown of which online sites they included must have been in something else I was reading. Thanks for your help! wave

Re: Help Asylum get on Steam! [Re: Carla] #836110
09/17/12 12:48 PM
09/17/12 12:48 PM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Agustin Cordes Offline
Settled Boomer
Agustin Cordes  Offline
Settled Boomer

Buenos Aires, Argentina
To clarify something: when it comes to Asylum, the game will be available in as many channels as possible. I can tell you that we're talking to GOG and I will definitely upload to Desura. Personally, I really dislike DRM.

However, I'm afraid that we don't have a choice with Steam. It's true that perhaps adventure gamers tend to do their shopping elsewhere, but developers are missing a huge cut of sales if they don't make it to Steam. I can't confirm the 70% figure myself but I was told this is the case by many publishers. Not just digital sales, but ALL of PC gaming. It's that huge.

(keep in mind that Stardock report is ages old in "industry years")

So I think we have to work towards guaranteeing that adventures have a strong presence on Steam, even if you don't like the service. When the largest distribution channel for PC believes that "adventures don't sell", it just doesn't bode well for the future of the genre frown

Senscape // Founder // Designer
Twitter: @AgustinCordes
Working on: Asylum
Re: Help Asylum get on Steam! [Re: Agustin Cordes] #836138
09/17/12 03:19 PM
09/17/12 03:19 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Well I'm very happy to hear that you are talking to GOG thumbsup
A DRM free version that I can burn to disk is the next best thing to a boxed disk - for me, anyway grin

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Help Asylum get on Steam! [Re: traveler] #836377
09/18/12 01:19 PM
09/18/12 01:19 PM
Tel Aviv, Israel.
T
Tomer Offline
Settled Boomer
Tomer  Offline
Settled Boomer
T

Tel Aviv, Israel.
Originally Posted By: traveler
Originally Posted By: Tomer

There are also many adventure gamers who oppose steam and the whole on-line thingy which might be holding it back (adventure gamers tend to fear progress smile )

I find that just a teeny, weeny, infinitesimal bit elitist. What, exactly, is the progress that adventure gamers oppose fear, aside from the obvious aversion to Steam and its restrictions that I, for one, have?
The inclusion of action elements? Retro (otherwise known as old pixel) graphics? Cheap, slideshow cutscenes? Games that are not games but "emotional experiences"?

Gil.

Agustin's example is a very good one that I had in mind. You might not care for boxed games, but it seems very typical of adventure gamers to want to own boxed versions of their games.
Further examples are, yes, inclusion of new elements such as keyboard controls, timing, action, etc..., Another example is tending to not want to part with the PC (whereas most genres have expended to Xbox or other video games consoles)

The reason this isn't elitist at all is that I never claimed to not belong to this group of people - I myself for example dislike action scenes in my adventure games and also like to collect boxed versions. I do not own any game console other than my computer. However, at the same time I own quite a few games on Steam and try to keep an open mind for new "twists" in the adventure genre (just like Myst wasn't considered as an adventure by many at the time, but is today a prototype for a whole class of adventure games - criteria change, and the answer to "what is an adventure game?" changes with time)

I did not mean to insult anyone here, I was just stating what in my eyes is a rather obvious fact: the adventure genre is progressing(call it altering, if you want) both technically and conceptually much slower than other genres, and its fans (me included) tend to be more conservative in this respect. That's what I meant with progress, which I generally consider positive.

And Agustin, good luck with Asylum, I hope it makes it! kissy

There's definitely definitely definitely no logic to human behaviour.
Re: Help Asylum get on Steam! [Re: Carla] #836591
09/19/12 11:53 AM
09/19/12 11:53 AM
frazap Offline
Settled Boomer
frazap  Offline
Settled Boomer

I consider the real progress to be the current move AWAY from DRM-infested on-line stores. Boxed or not boxed, physical or download copy, I couldn't care less. But I have an issue with DRM. And because of this I simply can't bring myself to even register to a service like Steam, even if it's only to vote for a game I would want to see released.

Really wish Agustin and his projects the best though. I will definitely buy Asylum if it finds its way to GOG or to other sites in DRM-free form.

Last edited by frazap; 09/19/12 11:54 AM.
Re: Help Asylum get on Steam! [Re: Carla] #836661
09/19/12 04:32 PM
09/19/12 04:32 PM
metamorphium Offline
Settled Boomer
metamorphium  Offline
Settled Boomer

Asylum is by far the most atmospheric adventure game I've seen/played in a long long time. So I think that to support this game on Steam is the least we can do. My vote was decided right when this game hit Greenlight. smile

Remember that by voting for the game you help a developer. It has nothing in common with you buying the game from steam or other sources. We are in times when publishers tell us that adventure games are too risky and don't generate enough revenues. frown

Let's help those who still have enough energy to keep this fight.

Best of luck Agustín!

Developing: ...

www.cbe-software.com

Created J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars, Serena, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet
Re: Help Asylum get on Steam! [Re: Carla] #836667
09/19/12 04:46 PM
09/19/12 04:46 PM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Agustin Cordes Offline
Settled Boomer
Agustin Cordes  Offline
Settled Boomer

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Thank you so much, metamorphium! While we are at this, remember to support the non-adventure but funny as Hell Vampires! You won't regret it laugh

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=97055339&searchtext=vampires

With your help, Asylum has been steadily climbing to the top and it's one of the Top 100 games. In fact, it's currently #75. To put things in perspective: yesterday it was #85! So we have skipped 10 positions in less than one day!!

Like I said before, keep in mind there are many other adventures that need help. My collection "Adventures In The Green" is currently among the five most popular this week (in part due to the success of Asylum but also thanks to dozens of shares) and lists 20 adventures that deserve your attention: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=96152495

Bottom line: this is a "snowball" effect. The popularity of one game can spread like wildfire to similar ones. The Greenlight system has its faults but I've come to understand what Steam is pretending with this and it's not that bad. Even if you don't have a Steam account, consider sharing links and collections.

Again, I can't stress the importance of guaranteeing a strong presence of adventures on Steam!

Last edited by Agustin Cordes; 09/19/12 04:48 PM.

Re: Help Asylum get on Steam! [Re: Carla] #836671
09/19/12 04:52 PM
09/19/12 04:52 PM
metamorphium Offline
Settled Boomer
metamorphium  Offline
Settled Boomer

Agustín, vampires are already getting amazing support from Gameboomers, but I did compile a slowly growing list of "Games that have you use your brain!".

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=97491051

Apart from known games, there was a huge discovery - an adventure game called "Cradle". Not knowing much, I'm already intrigued.

Developing: ...

www.cbe-software.com

Created J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars, Serena, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet
Re: Help Asylum get on Steam! [Re: Carla] #836673
09/19/12 05:00 PM
09/19/12 05:00 PM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Agustin Cordes Offline
Settled Boomer
Agustin Cordes  Offline
Settled Boomer

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Both Cradle and Contrast are doing remarkably well. Contrast in particular could be among the next Greenlighted!

Re: Help Asylum get on Steam! [Re: Carla] #836676
09/19/12 05:05 PM
09/19/12 05:05 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
There are threads on Cradle here on GameBoomers.

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Help Asylum get on Steam! [Re: Carla] #836697
09/19/12 06:26 PM
09/19/12 06:26 PM
Virginia's wetland dimension
Salar of Myst Offline
Addicted Boomer
Salar of Myst  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Virginia's wetland dimension
I voted for Asylum, Vampires, Al Emmo, Gray Matter, and more today laugh

Yes, I too would love to see Steam become a reliable place to find good adventures happydance

Re: Help Asylum get on Steam! [Re: Carla] #836722
09/19/12 08:26 PM
09/19/12 08:26 PM
Texas
T
Terri824 Offline
Addicted Boomer
Terri824  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

Texas
I Voted. Oooh, that looks scary! scared
Terri

When you live in the past, it costs you the present.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 172 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users