You are trying to look at the wrong door.
Think of the door next to where you got the statue as the "entrance" door. You need to look at the "exit" door. The problem is, when you actually get to the exit door, you are facing into the room, and don't realize the door is at your back.
I found some step-by-step instructions for getting there:
- - - Take the statuette.
You are back where you started.
1. Go toward the center.
2. Turn slightly right and go toward the statues
3. Turn right and go toward the center of the room.
4. Turn right and click between the first two statues.
5. Turn right and click toward the wall with the Chain.
6. Finally, turn left and click between the first two statues again.
This takes you to the desired spot, though you are facing the wrong way.
Turn around and examine the plaque on the door. It is a riddle. - - -
Maybe this will help!