GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage    
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#843678 - 10/20/12 08:10 PM Re: replaying older games [Re: hamer]
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Rivellon
Interesting. Why would an 'extra' space play havoc with margins?

Unfortunately, I can't show you the difference between one space and two at the end of a sentence. -I belong to the crowd that says one space between words, two between sentences = more readable. -And phooey on typographers who think differently. -Do we have an emoticon (or whatever) for phooey? grin

As for that older game, I thought for a brief moment that it might be one from the Cthulhu mythos. -That weird town, murder (ellipses here) but maybe not.

Gil.

#843683 - 10/20/12 08:30 PM Re: replaying older games [Re: hamer]
hamer Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
lol...

Thanx Traveler I will taake a look

#843745 - 10/21/12 05:38 AM Re: replaying older games [Re: traveler]
mj2c Offline
Settled Boomer

Originally Posted By: traveler
Interesting.
-I belong to the crowd that says one space between words, two between sentences = more readable.
Gil.

I've never even heard of this notion. Is it an American thing?

#843749 - 10/21/12 06:02 AM Re: replaying older games [Re: hamer]
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Loc: Stony Brook, New York, USA
Traveler -- from what I understand, the way the text wraps around, if a sentence happens to end at the right margin and there are two spaces, the next sentence begins with a space at the left margin, making the margin for that paragraph look uneven.

Possible whatever for phooey: thumbsdown razz shame sick

Mj2c -- two spaces after the period is the way (cough, cough) older Americans were taught to type.

#843763 - 10/21/12 09:24 AM Re: replaying older games [Re: hamer]
Rushes Offline
The Three Pipe Moderator
True Blue Boomer

Loc: UK
It's how us older Brits were taught as well. If I'm asked to use just one space, then it's insanely difficult to remember to do. My thumb just wants to hit a double-whammy. lol

#843794 - 10/21/12 11:32 AM Re: replaying older games [Re: hamer]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
When I took typing class, it's how I was taught as well -- two spaces after periods and colons. They told us it made the text easier to read -- easier to spot new sentences.

Here's an eBay auction for a typewriter like the one I learned on
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140868967905
They had a whole classroom full of them -- not anything close to new, but functional.

#843810 - 10/21/12 01:18 PM Re: replaying older games [Re: hamer]
hamer Offline
Settled Boomer

what did you say that thing was Jenny? I have never seen one before....lol

#843825 - 10/21/12 02:25 PM Re: replaying older games [Re: hamer]
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer

Ha. Jenny is a mere egg. Here's one that's maybe a little older than the Underwood I learned to type on, but not much.

Our typing teacher, who was about 5'3", could carry one in either hand. No feat, you may think, except that (for you other egglets) it was about like carrying two desktop computers at once. She never had a moment's trouble with us. grin

Gil.

#843827 - 10/21/12 02:36 PM Re: replaying older games [Re: hamer]
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Loc: Stony Brook, New York, USA
Who knew at the time that it would turn out to be such an important skill? (The typing, not the troublemaking. razz )

#843833 - 10/21/12 03:15 PM Re: replaying older games
ssgamer Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Colorado
Hi all,
As per Hamer it was an Underwood. To make an exclamation mark it took three keystrokes, an apostrophe and then back space and then a period. One was a small "l". It been a few years, since 1948. Times has changed. Yes double space!

Charllotte

Edited by ssgamer (10/21/12 03:17 PM)

#843855 - 10/21/12 04:49 PM Re: replaying older games [Re: hamer]
oldbroad Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Chicago
I think the first one I had was a manual Royal. I still have my electric Smith corona. We also have one that looks like the Underwood that traveler linked to. It is a Woodstock and weighs a ton.

#843856 - 10/21/12 04:58 PM Re: replaying older games [Re: Jenny100]
SharonB Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Delaware, USA
I was taught the same thing in high school. Several years ago I was taking a refresher course in college and was told to that the rule now is for single space after a sentence. I couldn't do it. I got points off my projects for punctuation errors. It was just so ingrained in me that I couldn't remember. shame (And I didn't really believe I was wrong... angel )

I remember a roller-ball...

#843868 - 10/21/12 06:37 PM Re: replaying older games [Re: SharonB]
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer

Originally Posted By: SharonB
(And I didn't really believe I was wrong... angel )

You aren't. -grin -Here's to clarity in text!

The only thing wrong with us is that we can't figure out what game hamer is looking for. -I can see an image of a guy in a suit trying to get into this ramshackle old house (that Cthulhu thing) but I cannot for the life of me remember what game that was. -And it's probably not the right one anyway.

hamer, do you suppose it was a free game? From AGS maybe? Maybe you could look there.

Gil.
I won't do that forever, just having fun with -. I do type it in correctly, it just comes out wrong when it shows up on the forum. (big grin, lotsa teeth)

#843909 - 10/22/12 02:02 AM Re: replaying older games [Re: hamer]
hamer Offline
Settled Boomer

Thanx for all the help...Traveler I dont think it was.....I think I also maybe remember going to a cabin and there were wolves there...or following me....Maybe that is a different game...oh well maybe I will find it again one day

#843942 - 10/22/12 08:19 AM Re: replaying older games [Re: hamer]
SharonB Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Delaware, USA
The only game that springs to mind for me with a cabin, wolves, wolf following and magic is Gabriel Knight 2 - The Beast Within. Was it a FMV game Hamer?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BrownEyedTigre, Marian, Rushes 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
6 registered (Marian, BobH, kjos, gaily, Lex, 1 invisible), 58 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Elentgirl, tiathyme, Mr_Underhill, Lani, Rachissa
8581 Registered Users