GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage    
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#844850 - 10/26/12 09:11 AM Re: Game Saves in Win7 [Re: Mad]
Upsydaisy Online   content
Settled Boomer

Loc: Sunny Devon, United Kingdom
I am following this with bated breath! a real mystery even for Sherlock.
BTW I did read somewhere that saved games only work on the OS that they were played on? so this may be in vain....

#844851 - 10/26/12 09:14 AM Re: Game Saves in Win7 [Re: Mad]
mj2c Offline
Settled Boomer

I blame Moriarty. The fiend:-)

#844852 - 10/26/12 09:16 AM Re: Game Saves in Win7 [Re: Mad]
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Loc: Stony Brook, New York, USA
snicker Makes perfect sense to me. (Blaming Moriarty, that is.)

#844860 - 10/26/12 10:02 AM Re: Game Saves in Win7 [Re: Becky]
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
OK. I've found it, mj2c, and thank you SO MUCH for your fantastic patience !! praise

However, after all this messing, I think I'm going to have to delete it anyway, and, in fact, uninstall the game, because the save is on my C Drive mad

[I'll just carry on and finish the game with the install I already have on my XP computer.]

My new machine has only a small solid state "C" drive - specifically for booting up at speed - and as it is purposely only a small drive, I don't want to clog it up with games stuff.

My BIG drive - for games and everything else - is "D" and that's where I installed Sherlock and where I've been doing all this fruitless (curses) searching !! duh

But a huge thanks to all who have been trying to help me.
I have appreciated your efforts VERY much and am most grateful.

Cheers.

Mad grin

PS.
What a shame for poor Moriarty, though. Getting blamed for something he hasn't done .... for once rotfl

Edited by Mad (10/26/12 10:04 AM)

#844928 - 10/26/12 01:21 PM Re: Game Saves in Win7 [Re: Mad]
Upsydaisy Online   content
Settled Boomer

Loc: Sunny Devon, United Kingdom
The game is superb!! I really enjoyed it, only had to refer to the walkthrough once. ENJOY!! sherlock

#844953 - 10/26/12 02:11 PM Re: Game Saves in Win7 [Re: Mad]
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Rivellon
Oo! A new thingie! sherlock

I'm sorry, Mad. My reading comprehension skills need overhaul. I thought you couldn't find My Docs. Btw, you can also look in AppData\Local when you're searching.

Gil.

#845114 - 10/27/12 07:55 AM Re: Game Saves in Win7 [Re: traveler]
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
"Btw, you can also look in AppData\Local when you're searching."

I inadvertently discovered that this morning traveler lol

I am sorry I won't be playing Sherlock on my new computer but to me it seems ludicrous to allow a player to choose where to install a game but then not only hide their saves from it in a "hidden" folder, but in a hidden folder on a completely different drive !! shame

Anyway. I'm just very grateful for all the help I am treated to here at Gameboomers.
Just don't know how I'd manage without it.

So a big bravo from me !!

#845136 - 10/27/12 09:29 AM Re: Game Saves in Win7 [Re: Mad]
mj2c Offline
Settled Boomer

You can actually change the location of your User folder (and all of it's subfolders) if you want.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/87555-user-profile-change-default-location.html

#845162 - 10/27/12 11:15 AM Re: Game Saves in Win7 [Re: Mad]
BrownEyedTigre Online   happy
The Sassy Global Moderator PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

Loc: In the Naughty Corner
Since this is more technical than related to a game, I am moving this to Glitches.

Ana wave

#845184 - 10/27/12 11:49 AM Re: Game Saves in Win7 [Re: Mad]
Karsten Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Denmark, Europe
As for the save thing, my saves for a different games (stalker, I think) are in the my documents folder and some of the saves for other games are in the application data folder.

I agree, though, that it really is annoying that the game seems to hide the save files from us, and it must be even more annoying to have the game hide the save game files on a totally different drive than the game installed in.

#845196 - 10/27/12 12:05 PM Re: Game Saves in Win7 [Re: Karsten]
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer

Originally Posted By: Karsten
As for the save thing, my saves for a different games (stalker, I think) are in the my documents folder and some of the saves for other games are in the application data folder.

Which brings up the question, why aren't all saved games in the game folder and plainly labeled saved games? Is there some arcane technical reason for putting them somewhere else?

Gil.

#845215 - 10/27/12 01:48 PM Re: Game Saves in Win7 [Re: Mad]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
Originally Posted By: traveler
Which brings up the question, why aren't all saved games in the game folder and plainly labeled saved games? Is there some arcane technical reason for putting them somewhere else?

The reason saves aren't placed in the game folder anymore is that games often (stupidly) install into the Program Files folder by default. Anything inside the Program Files folder (or Program Files(x86) folder) is considered "protected" by Windows so changes (like creating new saves or updating existing saves) are blocked. This "blocking changes in C:\Program Files" thing all started back with XP SP2, but the problem has not gone away.

Why saves aren't always put in the same place (like in a subfolder in the User's Documents folder) is another matter. Why should they be put in a subfolder of the hidden AppData folder? Or in a subfolder of the Roaming folder? I think this is more the fault of the creator of the game installer than of Windows though. Windows has been like this long enough for game installers to choose some non-protected default location for the game install.

Someone actually created a website for finding game save locations:
http://www.gamesavelocation.com/

Unfortunately not so many games there yet.

#845236 - 10/27/12 04:03 PM Re: Game Saves in Win7 [Re: Mad]
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer

Thanks for the explanation, Jenny. Makes sense. smile

Since you're explaining, is there a way to put all the saves that normally go to My Docs by default as sub-folders in a Game Saves folder in My Docs and still have a game locate the saves?

Well, that was long winded. In other words, is there a way to direct the game to look for saves somewhere other than it expects to find them?

Gil.

#845272 - 10/27/12 07:02 PM Re: Game Saves in Win7 [Re: traveler]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
Originally Posted By: traveler
Since you're explaining, is there a way to put all the saves that normally go to My Docs by default as sub-folders in a Game Saves folder in My Docs and still have a game locate the saves?

Well, that was long winded. In other words, is there a way to direct the game to look for saves somewhere other than it expects to find them?

Gil.

I don't know of one. There might be a way to manipulate the game's registry entries so it would look for saves in a different place, but every game would probably need a different procedure.

#845276 - 10/27/12 07:26 PM Re: Game Saves in Win7 [Re: Mad]
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer

Ah. Phooey. sad

Then I'll just do what I should have done in the first place and stuff all those saved game folders in one, to get rid of that mess in My Docs, and haul one out when I'm actually playing the game. Why didn't I think of that before?

You don't have to answer that. grin

Gil.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  InlandAZ, Jenny100 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
14 registered (kjos, curly, frazap, Draclvr, BrownEyedTigre, Gimme, Barb, Kootsie, CCbomber, 1 invisible), 67 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Newest Members
ryan_khatam, BabyBloomer, denton9, TheProphet, Innervision
8566 Registered Users