GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Classic Adventure Game Shadowgate Re-imagined for a New Audience #844888
10/26/12 11:15 AM
10/26/12 11:15 AM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline OP
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Zojoi, the creators of Shadowgate are developing a new, epic version of the first-person fantasy adventure smash hit. Help make it happen!

You can access the Kickstarter here.

Check out the Official website here.

Quote:
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - October 26, 2012 — Shadowgate is making a comeback, thanks to Virginia-based Zojoi, LLC. The genre-defining, first-person adventure game,once a Game Boy and Nintendo Entertainment System fan favorite, is being re-imagined for a new generation of gamers. Today, Zojoi launched a campaign on Kickstarter.com to help complete the vision of the original Shadowgate creators.
“We reacquired all of the titles we initially developed back in the day, including Shadowgate,” said David Marsh, Zojoi founder. “We love this fantasy title and decided to create an epic new version of the game for both existing fans and new gamers across multiple platforms.”

“We’re not approaching the Kickstarter campaign lightly,” Marsh continued. “We’ve invested a lot in Shadowgate and are currently knee-deep in pre-production. But we’re a small company and to make it happen, we need to reach out to the gaming community via Kickstarter.”

Shadowgate was originally released in 1987 on the “upstart” Apple Macintosh and was an instant hit. The game was subsequently ported to more than ten different platforms,including the PC, Commodore Amiga, Nintendo Entertainment System and Game Boy Color. The title won a prestigious Nintendo award and was nominated for its graphics at the Smithsonian American Art Museum exhibit, “Art of Video Games.”

“Shadowgate isn’t a port,” said Co-Creator Karl Roelofs. “The entire game has undergone a huge transformation including compelling gameplay, captivating art and amazing audio. We’ve redesigned and created a lot of new rooms and puzzles which offers a whole new play experience, while still retaining the iconic environments and plot elements Shadowgate fans remember.”

Zojoi’s launch on Kickstarter.com is an opportunity for Shadowgate and adventure game
enthusiasts to pledge funds to the project. In return, Zojoi will give backers a variety of
rewards, including copies of the games on multiple devices, the soundtrack, and even a
unique card game created for the Shadowgate universe by Middle Earth collectable card game designer, Coleman Charlton. The project will only be funded if the target goal is met.

This new version of Shadowgate features:

 Rooms - 60+ beautifully illustrated rooms featuring both new and familiar locations

 Puzzles - New and updated puzzles that seamlessly expand on the original game

 First Person Adventuring - Inventory, spell book, mapping system and on-screen help

 Commands - Intuitive command-based UI allowing extensive interaction

 Cinematic Score - A full, digitally-orchestrated soundtrack by composer Rich Douglas

 8-bit Score - A second retro soundtrack featuring Hiroyuki Masuno's original NES
composition

 Soundscape s- A complete atmospheric and puzzle-based sound design

 Animations - Environmental and object-specific animation bring each location to life

 Initial Platforms - Supports Windows, Mac, iOS and Android tablets

Happy Gaming!

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Classic Adventure Game Shadowgate Re-imagined for a New Audience [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #844895
10/26/12 12:16 PM
10/26/12 12:16 PM
M
mj2c Offline
Addicted Boomer
mj2c  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

Reimagined?!?!?! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

That's a word that Microsoft have latched onto over the last 18 months whilst trying to justify the bizzare Windows 8 move, and have done it to death. It's getting as bad as americans use of the word Awesome for the most trivial and unawesome of things.

Rant over, and breathe......;-)

Re: Classic Adventure Game Shadowgate Re-imagined for a New Audience [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #844898
10/26/12 12:17 PM
10/26/12 12:17 PM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Thanks Ana. A re-imagined fantasy adventure sounds great! thumbsup

Re: Classic Adventure Game Shadowgate Re-imagined for a New Audience [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #844900
10/26/12 12:19 PM
10/26/12 12:19 PM
M
mj2c Offline
Addicted Boomer
mj2c  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

Grrrrrr:-)

Re: Classic Adventure Game Shadowgate Re-imagined for a New Audience [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #844903
10/26/12 12:24 PM
10/26/12 12:24 PM
In the Naughty Corner
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
I think it sounds great personally! I have some "awesome" screens coming shortly as well. grin

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Classic Adventure Game Shadowgate Re-imagined for a New Audience [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #844906
10/26/12 12:26 PM
10/26/12 12:26 PM
M
mj2c Offline
Addicted Boomer
mj2c  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

I think I'll leave this thread with my dignity intact:-)

Re: Classic Adventure Game Shadowgate Re-imagined for a New Audience [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #844912
10/26/12 12:43 PM
10/26/12 12:43 PM
In the Naughty Corner
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
rotfl Just teasing!

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Classic Adventure Game Shadowgate Re-imagined for a New Audience [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #844917
10/26/12 12:50 PM
10/26/12 12:50 PM
M
mj2c Offline
Addicted Boomer
mj2c  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

I know:-)...oh, Im not supposed to be here am I...

Re: Classic Adventure Game Shadowgate Re-imagined for a New Audience [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #844925
10/26/12 01:17 PM
10/26/12 01:17 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
The description at ***Mobygames*** says:
Originally Posted By: Mobygames
...Shadowgate has become infested with the Warlock Lord's demonic minions, not to mention the castle's still functional booby-traps.

Unlike Deja Vu, death comes at you suddenly, unexpectedly, and most of all OFTEN. Such simple acts as pulling the wrong switch or opening the wrong door can cause you to be skewered by a booby-trap or disemboweled by a monster. It's also worth mentioning the fact that if your torch burns out (this happens quite regularly) and you forget to light a new one, you'll trip in the dark and break your neck.

Unless this type of gameplay has been changed, I wouldn't be interested in playing it. Unfortunately there's nothing in the Kickstarter description that indicates that they've dispensed with this annoying stuff, or even reduced it. So despite the attractive artwork, I wouldn't be interested without some assurance they've gotten rid of the frequent unexpected death and annoying torch-based timed aspect.

Re: Classic Adventure Game Shadowgate Re-imagined for a New Audience [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #844933
10/26/12 01:23 PM
10/26/12 01:23 PM
In the Naughty Corner
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
I will find out for you Jenny.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Classic Adventure Game Shadowgate Re-imagined for a New Audience [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #845070
10/26/12 11:08 PM
10/26/12 11:08 PM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Hi mj2c -- I didn't mean to provoke you -- I didn't see your first post, actually. lol

I've just bought a new computer with Win 7 in order to avoid Windows 8 -- does that make up for not minding the re-imagined concept? burger

I avoid "awesome" by using "awe-inspiring" instead. How about "re-inspired"?

Last edited by Becky; 10/26/12 11:10 PM.
Re: Classic Adventure Game Shadowgate Re-imagined for a New Audience [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #845080
10/27/12 02:33 AM
10/27/12 02:33 AM
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

At least no one said "for sure"

Re: Classic Adventure Game Shadowgate Re-imagined for a New Audience [Re: oldmariner] #845112
10/27/12 07:36 AM
10/27/12 07:36 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
rotfl rotfl

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Classic Adventure Game Shadowgate Re-imagined for a New Audience [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #845281
10/27/12 07:41 PM
10/27/12 07:41 PM
Central Islip NY
thracia Offline
Addicted Boomer
thracia  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Central Islip NY
I loved this game, I remember playing it on the original super nintendo system. I must have played it 5-6 times. I also played the other two as well, Deja Vu, and The Uninvited. I remember being dissapointed at the time, that there were other games like this to play.

thracia

Last edited by thracia; 10/27/12 07:50 PM.

~Didi~
There will come a point in your life, when you realize what really matters, what never did, and what always will.
Unknown
Re: Classic Adventure Game Shadowgate Re-imagined for a New Audience [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #845420
10/28/12 12:54 PM
10/28/12 12:54 PM
Sweden
Drizzt Offline
Addicted Boomer
Drizzt  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sweden
Awesome. I loved this game when I was a kid.

Are they dead? Yes. Unlike you they have but one life...and they wasted it for your sake!
Re: Classic Adventure Game Shadowgate Re-imagined for a New Audience [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #845421
10/28/12 01:09 PM
10/28/12 01:09 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
I will find out for you Jenny.

Ana wave

Thanks, Ana.

Re: Classic Adventure Game Shadowgate Re-imagined for a New Audience [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #845422
10/28/12 01:12 PM
10/28/12 01:12 PM
In the Naughty Corner
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Still waiting for an answer. smile

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Classic Adventure Game Shadowgate Re-imagined for a New Audience [Re: Jenny100] #846353
11/01/12 03:49 PM
11/01/12 03:49 PM
Cleveland Heights, OH, USA
O
OtakuMan Offline
Junior Boomer
OtakuMan  Offline
Junior Boomer
O

Originally Posted By: Jenny100

Unless this type of gameplay has been changed, I wouldn't be interested in playing it. Unfortunately there's nothing in the Kickstarter description that indicates that they've dispensed with this annoying stuff, or even reduced it. So despite the attractive artwork, I wouldn't be interested without some assurance they've gotten rid of the frequent unexpected death and annoying torch-based timed aspect.

Sorry Jenny, but as Official Unofficial Community Manager with Zojoi, I'm afraid I have to say that the unexpected deaths and torch-based time keeping are going to remain intact.

Both of those features are part of Shadowgate's charm and help it stand out among other adventure games. Many fans have said they enjoy playing through the original versions just so they can find out the different ways to die and the often amusing descriptions of the horrible, horrible deaths.

You will die... a lot! But many of the people who love Shadowgate wouldn't have it any other way. smile

Of course, if you're stuck, there will be a hint system in place in the form of a talking skull, and you can even scale the difficulty level on the skull from "Very helpful" to "Wouldn't give you the time of day" (maybe not those exact words, but you get the idea).

So, with that cleared up and what with me here and all, I'm more than happy to talk Shadowgate, answer any questions, and get to know folks around here!

What's up? laugh

Re: Classic Adventure Game Shadowgate Re-imagined for a New Audience [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #846354
11/01/12 03:53 PM
11/01/12 03:53 PM
In the Naughty Corner
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
welcome to GameBoomers OtakuMan

Thanks for answering!

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Classic Adventure Game Shadowgate Re-imagined for a New Audience [Re: thracia] #846355
11/01/12 03:57 PM
11/01/12 03:57 PM
O
OtakuMan Offline
Junior Boomer
OtakuMan  Offline
Junior Boomer
O

Originally Posted By: thracia
I loved this game, I remember playing it on the original super nintendo system. I must have played it 5-6 times. I also played the other two as well, Deja Vu, and The Uninvited. I remember being dissapointed at the time, that there were other games like this to play.

thracia

I think you meant the "Nintendo Entertainment System" as opposed to "Super Nintendo Entertainment System". Shadowgate, Deja Vu, and Uninvited were never made for the SNES. They did originally appear on the black and white Apple Macintosh 128K (their original platform and why these games are called the "MacVenture" series), Atari ST, Commodore 64, Amiga, DOS, Windows 3.1, and probably some other PCs that I forgot to mention off the top of my head.

The last few systems that Shadowgate appeared on were the Game Boy Color, Pocket PC, and Palm OS about 10 years ago.

smile

Edit: No problem! I would have answered sooner but had to wait for my registration to get processed. Now that it is, here I am, open for questions smile

Last edited by BrownEyedTigre; 11/01/12 04:01 PM. Reason: combined stacked posts
Re: Classic Adventure Game Shadowgate Re-imagined for a New Audience [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #847014
11/04/12 04:22 PM
11/04/12 04:22 PM
Sweden
Drizzt Offline
Addicted Boomer
Drizzt  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sweden
Glad to see the "WhathappenedIdied??!!!" gameplay remains intact. And I hope the reaper will still make an appearance...

I couldn't keep myself from pledging to this. I just wish they would make the physical soundtrack CD available at lower tiers.

Last edited by Drizzt; 11/04/12 04:23 PM.

Are they dead? Yes. Unlike you they have but one life...and they wasted it for your sake!
Re: Classic Adventure Game Shadowgate Re-imagined for a New Audience [Re: Drizzt] #847271
11/05/12 06:37 PM
11/05/12 06:37 PM
O
OtakuMan Offline
Junior Boomer
OtakuMan  Offline
Junior Boomer
O

Originally Posted By: Drizzt
Glad to see the "WhathappenedIdied??!!!" gameplay remains intact. And I hope the reaper will still make an appearance...

I couldn't keep myself from pledging to this. I just wish they would make the physical soundtrack CD available at lower tiers.

Oh you'll be seeing PLENTY of Death. Just check out the makeover lead artist Chris Cold gave him here, via his DeviantArt account:

http://chriscold.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d5dzqrj

As for the physical soundtrack, I have talked with Dave about trying to make a tier in between the $200-$500 levels, but he's got to talk to our composer Rich Douglas and check out the budget to see if we can afford to buy more CDs at the end of the campaign. (CDs have to be ordered in bulk, so even if only 100 people pledged at a tier that included a physical soundtrack, we'd still have to order 200 because the manufacturer requires that many be ordered for them to make the discs.)

It's a pain in the butt, but we are trying, so stay tuned and keep your eyes peeled for a tier like that to, hopefully, open up before too long. smile

Also, check it out! Shadowgate is now #3 on the GOG.com Community Wishlist for Most Votes Earned in the Past Week!

http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games

It went from being "Two-Hundred Something" to #3 in about 2 days! That's pretty dang impressive! laugh Here's hoping it goes farther and convinces GOG.com to carry the original MacVenture games (which Zojoi wants just as much as the players do!)

Re: Classic Adventure Game Shadowgate Re-imagined for a New Audience [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #847273
11/05/12 06:42 PM
11/05/12 06:42 PM
In the Naughty Corner
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
That's great that it's moving up at GoG! yay Congrats.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Classic Adventure Game Shadowgate Re-imagined for a New Audience [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #848056
11/08/12 11:20 PM
11/08/12 11:20 PM
O
OtakuMan Offline
Junior Boomer
OtakuMan  Offline
Junior Boomer
O

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
That's great that it's moving up at GoG! yay Congrats.

Ana wave

It didn't just move up GOG, it actually took the #1 Spot! laugh

But we don't have time to celebrate that accomplishment yet as we still haven't crossed the goal line yet.

To help centralize information and ensure that data is delivered properly, we have an Official Forum now! Check it out! laugh

http://zojoi.freeforums.net/

Re: Classic Adventure Game Shadowgate Re-imagined for a New Audience [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #848068
11/09/12 12:00 AM
11/09/12 12:00 AM
In the Naughty Corner
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
woot I hope you have continued success!

Don't feed the Trolls
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Pandora), 175 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users