GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Dear Esther [Re: Mary] #861796
01/12/13 07:41 AM
01/12/13 07:41 AM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
Oh yes, that's right, Start. I couldn't recall exactly. smile Perhaps your version is slightly different in that you have to play the whole game through first before all four chapters unlock fully? think I have the original Steam version. Push forward and see what happens.

(There'll be a fade-out to black at the end of chapter four, and that isn't a glitch, it's how it's meant to be. You then have to exit out back to main menu and that's the finish. The ending has caused confusion for some folks where they think the game has crashed.)

"Bleat, Watson -- unmitigated bleat!" ~ Sherlock Holmes
Re: Dear Esther [Re: Mary] #861884
01/12/13 03:55 PM
01/12/13 03:55 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Uncle Reg Offline
Settled Boomer
Uncle Reg  Offline
Settled Boomer

Virginia Beach, VA

You may be right about having to play all the way through first before all chapters are unlocked. I did a lot of reading on the Steam Dear Esther forum last night, and found several references that hinted at that, but they were from players like us, not the developers, so they may be somewhat less than accurate. I did find a workaround where you can unlock all chapters manually. It involves enabling the developer console from the Options > Keyboard/Mouse section, activating the console with the tilde (~) key, and typing in "ui_lastmap_played 4" (without the quotes). I tried this and it worked. This did come from the developer, you can read about it by going to that link that MaG posted for the Steam-free version, selecting Info from the menu across the top, and going to the FAQ section from there. There's also a Forums link on that top menu that will take you to the Steam Dear Esther forum. There's lots of discussions on the game there.

Re: Dear Esther [Re: Mary] #861908
01/12/13 05:50 PM
01/12/13 05:50 PM
nyc
R
robedits Online content
Settled Boomer
robedits  Online Content
Settled Boomer
R

nyc
As short as it is, it's one of the most beautiful games I've ever played. Haunting and stunning.

Re: Dear Esther [Re: Mary] #862001
01/13/13 11:04 AM
01/13/13 11:04 AM
Virginia Beach, VA
Uncle Reg Offline
Settled Boomer
Uncle Reg  Offline
Settled Boomer

Virginia Beach, VA

There were several things that I read about during my ramblings on the Dear Esther forum last night that I didn't mention in my previous post, and that I feel are worthy of mentioning.

1. There were numerous reports that there is some degree of randomness with which the narrations are played, both as to which ones are played, and possibly the location that triggers some of them. In other words, If you play through the game a second time, you are likely to hear some narrations that you didn't hear the first time.

2. In addition to the narrations, there are some visuals that may vary with different playings. One such scene is a dream-like sequence where you see two cars on the highway. Sometimes during this scene it was reported that you don't see the two cars, but you see a hospital bed instead.

3. There were numerous reports that during their exploring players had encountered sighting people or other creatures. Some were merely silhouettes far off on a distant horizon that disappeared if you tried to get closer, or even just turned in their direction, but some of them could be approached closely enough to make out some detail. Some of these showed some obvious other-worldly characteristics, such as hooded figures, some with glowing eyes. A lot of these reported sightings were documented with screenshots. There appears to be some degree of randomness in these sightings also.

All in all, these reports were part of a general consensus of a lot of players, that if you only play this game through one time, you're going to miss a bunch of stuff.

Re: Dear Esther [Re: Uncle Reg] #862072
01/13/13 04:03 PM
01/13/13 04:03 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Very interesting info, Uncle Reg. Thank you! wave

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Urban Worrier, Orion, robedits, oldbroad), 254 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users