GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage    
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#866184 - 02/04/13 10:41 AM wifi for Gateway 552ge
SharonB Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Delaware, USA
I currently have internet connections from my ethernet port and wired router. These work fine and I don't necessarily want to change them.

However I have a Kindle and would like to have wifi for it. What do I need to do? I'm thinking a usb wifi adapter would work. Then what? Do I need another router? How does it get setup? Can I do it only for the Kindle and maybe my cell phone?

I'm pretty clueless on this. Advice appreciated.

#866188 - 02/04/13 10:49 AM Re: wifi for Gateway 552ge [Re: SharonB]
Winfrey Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: The Country
Is it a Kindle Fire?

#866190 - 02/04/13 10:54 AM Re: wifi for Gateway 552ge [Re: SharonB]
Draclvr Online   content
Adept Boomer

Loc: In Missouri near St. Louis
In order to have WiFi, you will need to have a WiFi router. Some routers are both wired ethernet and WiFi. You don't need a USB adapter for your computer if your going to leave it wired. The adapter is for the device; the router is to provide the WiFi signal which the adapter can pick up.

The Kindle doesn't need an adapter - it has built-in WiFi.

Once you have a WiFi signal in your house, any device with WiFi capabilities will be able to pick it up.

So, it depends on what kind of router you have now or if you need to get a new one.

#866193 - 02/04/13 10:59 AM Re: wifi for Gateway 552ge [Re: SharonB]
Winfrey Offline
Addicted Boomer

You might want to watch this also..
Touch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcnTX4_GAOA

Good point Drac... here is one for the Fire

Fire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0V27FBcXhY

Edited by Winfrey (02/04/13 11:07 AM)

#866194 - 02/04/13 11:03 AM Re: wifi for Gateway 552ge [Re: SharonB]
Draclvr Online   content
Adept Boomer

Good video, Winfrey. If you have a Kindle Fire, the process is different, Sharon.

#866214 - 02/04/13 01:18 PM Re: wifi for Gateway 552ge [Re: Draclvr]
SharonB Offline
Settled Boomer

I have a D-Link 4100 DGL. My Kindle currently works off 3G but I may replace it and I would rather simplify with wifi. I may go Fire, I'm not sure yet.

Will my router which is wired also handle wireless?

This whole wireless business is like a snakepit to me. I'm afraid I'm going to get stuck trying to work it out. But First Things First. I need to know what equipment is needed and then what the next step would be.

I have roku, blueray, my pc, Xbox currently hooked up. I don't have a network that I know of.

Thanks for your quick responses.

#866216 - 02/04/13 01:36 PM Re: wifi for Gateway 552ge [Re: SharonB]
Winfrey Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sharon, soon I am sure a techie will be along.. but til then.. I do not believe your router is wireless... look at this link.. it is a wireless router.

DGL-4300

#866217 - 02/04/13 01:51 PM Re: wifi for Gateway 552ge [Re: SharonB]
Draclvr Online   content
Adept Boomer

The DGL 4100 is not a WiFi Router. If you want to go WiFi, you will have to get a WiFi router. The link Winfrey provided is a good comparison to your router. They are very old technology from 2005. The new ones are MUCH more secure and faster to boot.

If you want to stay with D-Link, this is an example of a wireless router that also has 4 ethernet ports for wired connections. So, if that's what you want, you could continue to have all 4 of your devices plugged in to an ethernet port. But if any of them are wireless (WiFi), you might be able to get rid of some ethernet cables.

D-Link Wireless Router

#866224 - 02/04/13 02:29 PM Re: wifi for Gateway 552ge [Re: Winfrey]
SharonB Offline
Settled Boomer

Thanks Winfrey. I agree. It doesn't look like my router is capable of Wifi. I looked at this model but wasn't completely happy with it.

If I have to get a new router can someone recommend one that is N-band capable and more up to date that will work with my system?

#866228 - 02/04/13 02:38 PM Re: wifi for Gateway 552ge [Re: Draclvr]
SharonB Offline
Settled Boomer

Thanks Draclvr. I was looking at this model.

Is my router limited to 4 connections be they wired or not? I was thinking I could have 4 wired connections and maybe a couple wireless.

I realize now my phone is on the internet too.

edit: I really don't understand how this works.

Edited by SharonB (02/04/13 02:39 PM)

#866229 - 02/04/13 02:46 PM Re: wifi for Gateway 552ge [Re: SharonB]
Winfrey Offline
Addicted Boomer

until Drac comes back... you only need one wireless.. all your wireless connections connect to the wireless feature

#866234 - 02/04/13 03:05 PM Re: wifi for Gateway 552ge [Re: SharonB]
Draclvr Online   content
Adept Boomer

You can have 4 wired connections on this particular router and as many wireless connections as you have wireless devices. Of course, if you have too many using the internet "pipeline" at the same time, it can bog down the speed depending on what kind of internet service you have.

#866265 - 02/04/13 06:53 PM Re: wifi for Gateway 552ge [Re: Draclvr]
SharonB Offline
Settled Boomer

So if I buy a wired & wireless capable router it connects to my computer via ethernet? or do I need an adapter?

And once I have the router, I can setup a home network and I'm good to go???

#866271 - 02/04/13 07:16 PM Re: wifi for Gateway 552ge [Re: SharonB]
Draclvr Online   content
Adept Boomer

I assume you have cable or DSL or something like that for your internet service. You plug the cable for the internet service into the port that says Internet (on this router model). That brings the internet to the router. Then you just plug your computer into one of the four ethernet ports. It will pretty much work exactly like the one you have now, except it will also be putting out a WiFi signal. If someone comes to your house with a smart phone, give them your password and they can connect to your WiFi. Get a Kindle Fire and you can connect it to your WiFi. And on like that.

To be honest, you really don't even need to set up a home network unless you have multiple computers that you want to share data between. Just plug in your wired components and set up your wireless components. D-Link or whatever brand you get will pretty much walk you through getting it all set up. Just make sure you set up security preferably using the WPA2 standard. Again, this will all be specified for the wireless router you buy.

#866274 - 02/04/13 07:26 PM Re: wifi for Gateway 552ge [Re: Draclvr]
SharonB Offline
Settled Boomer

Thanks so much Draclvr and Winfrey. I feel much better now.

Yes I have cable internet. I was questioning the port needed on my computer for that connection.

Is there any particular router you would recommend? I would like to get something up to date, but simple.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  InlandAZ, Jenny100 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
10 registered (soot, Marian, Draclvr, Pandora, Sorta Blonde, Gimme, ergggo, BrownEyedTigre, stardeenow, 1 invisible), 75 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Polikolp, efmouse, arlenewilson32, ponycakes, veteran
8538 Registered Users