Hi all, Good news--i am typing this from my laptop
1. ran full system virus scan and found 3 trojans named Artemis!--quarantined them
2. restarted pressing F8 to get into system repair/Safe Mode
3. tried System Restore--the last point was a Java update at the time my laptop shut down so I went back 2 weeks on the restore
4. restarted the laptop in Safe Mode and the restore point was accepted
5. ran full system scan and all is clear
My next thought is: for some reason I tried McAfee this year as my antivirus program which was a mistake as it allowed this Trojan into my laptop.
In the past I have used AVG and Avast free editions and had no complaint. Which is the better program?