GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
NANCY DREW HAUNTED MANSION #87618
09/03/01 08:46 AM
09/03/01 08:46 AM
McClure P.A. USA.
ron.etti Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
ron.etti  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

McClure P.A. USA.
I just finished Nancy Drew Message in a haunted Mansion. I was not impressed. I know alot of Boomers like her games and i enjoyed playing it,but the name leads you to believe its a spooky game with nail biteing ghosts.My mother inlaws house is spookyer.
Also someone in another review said all the more rooms you can explore.This is my first Nancy game maybe they are all like this.I didn't think it was going to be like DRACULA
i just was a little let down by the game.
I may not have been so picky because it is directed at a young age group'but then i got GOOSEBUMPS HORRORLAND in the mail.WOOOOWWW
This is one good old game that has monsters,spookystuff all over the place.
This game talks to kids on there level,as Nancy's game is so suger coated the mansion must be on SESAME STREET.Well anyway its a fun game to play.I don't think i would buy another .Got to go ,can't wait to get back to GOOSEBUMPS......ron.etti

Re: NANCY DREW HAUNTED MANSION #87619
09/03/01 08:02 PM
09/03/01 08:02 PM
gatorlaw Offline
Adept Boomer
gatorlaw  Offline
Adept Boomer

Ron,

Thanks for your opinion on this ND game. I agree that ND may not be every one's favorite game. In fact - the books are really the best place to start with this series. If the ND books are not something you enjoy - then you probaly won't rate the games that high either.

As for really scary - I would definitely rate Nocturne, Blair Witch, Dracula and Gosebumps as far creepier. I have played all of them and the goosebumps game definitely has it's nail biting moments and has very creepy atmosphere to it.

Still BR is not just about glowing thoughts - but all reactions to a game - so thanks for posting this and I look forward to more of your comments on other games.

Laura

Re: NANCY DREW HAUNTED MANSION #87620
01/18/02 09:18 AM
01/18/02 09:18 AM
Ontario Canada
S
Skippy Offline
Settled Boomer
Skippy  Offline
Settled Boomer
S

Ontario Canada
I enjoyed the game but it was too short and there were too many closed doors that couldn't be opened. The graphics were pretty nice, especially the parlour. I guess I should have expected it to be short, since it's geared towards children. All in all I liked it. I'm just not sure that I would replay it often.

Re: NANCY DREW HAUNTED MANSION #87621
01/30/02 09:30 PM
01/30/02 09:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My Daughter and I really enjoyed playing this game. My daughter is 12 and thought the game was very spooky.I believe the game is geared toward girls, but adults love it too, and I am one who loved it.

Re: NANCY DREW HAUNTED MANSION #87622
02/22/02 09:37 PM
02/22/02 09:37 PM
Indiana
Bryansmom Offline
Addicted Boomer
Bryansmom  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Indiana
I love mysteries, and so I really enjoyed most of the Nancy Drew games. Haunted Mansion was my favorite out of the four I've played (I have played The Final Scene, Haunted Mansion, Secrets can Kill, and The Tower Treasure).
I didn't find the game spooky at all, although I might have if I had been lucky enough to play the game (or have personal computers for that matter--uh, oh, I'm showing my age) when I started reading mysteries like Nancy Drew. There are two levels of play, and I played on the more difficult level. I really found the puzzles to be somewhat challenging at times, and at other times they were easy and the reward was just moving on in the game. Sometimes you just want something fun and comforting in a game, and the Nancy Drew games are like that. It's like doing an easy crossword puzzle even though you know you could do difficult, but you just want the experience and the relaxation it brings.
The game was definitely a mystery, and Nancy does a lot of snooping around and searching of rooms that don't belong to her. I felt that the voice work was well done and the character's mouths move with the speech. It is necessary to complete some of the tasks during different times of the day or night, but this is easy to do because Nancy has an alarm clock by the bed that you can set and it will immediately take you to that time frame. The game worked great for me on Windows XP. I haven't played it on any other Windows format.
As for negative things about the game, I do agree that there are rooms that are never entered by Nancy, even though you can see the doors. I eventually had to tell myself they were never there in first place, or I would have been constantly checking them. This would be extremely irritating, because to move Nancy around you have to walk up and down hallways, etc. The only way I would check a door again in this game is if I obtained an inventory item that could be used on a door (like a key), or if I made one more round just because I was stuck and couldn't figure out what to do next. To me, it is nicer to know that you will probably never get into a closed door rather than thinking that you might and going back to it again and again. Right now, I am playing the Cameron Files (Loch Ness) and I have to check each door constantly because their status changes.
The game is fairly short, but if I had played it as a novice gamer or as an adolescent, it would have lasted a lot longer.
I really enjoy games that have books around to read and learn, but then I actually research things for fun (my friends feel that I am ill). There are books that have to be looked at in this mystery and in the Tower Treasure that tell about historical symbols, etc. However, you can just jot down the basics that are needed for the puzzle and not concentrate on the rest.
It is necessary to take notes in the Nancy Drew mysteries, and I know that is icky to some game players. I don't mind it, though, so it didn't bother me.
All in all, I really liked this game because the character was familiar and comfortable and the puzzles really were pretty good. The graphics are very nice, too.

What lies behind you and what lies before you are tiny matters compared to what lies within you.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Re: NANCY DREW HAUNTED MANSION #87623
02/24/02 08:24 PM
02/24/02 08:24 PM
Ohio,USA
Gamer Offline
Addicted Boomer
Gamer  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Ohio,USA
I agree with you Bryansmom, its just a fun game
all around,not to simple and not to hard, just
enjoyable. laugh

Helen
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 252 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users