GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
The Secret of Monkey Island #87771
10/31/01 10:36 PM
10/31/01 10:36 PM
Herndon, VA
Skinter Offline OP
Shy Boomer
Skinter  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

Herndon, VA
The Secret of Monkey Island

First things first, you are Guybrush Threepwood. A pirate wannabe in this game. You have come to Melee Island to train yourself as a pirate. Unfortunately, you run into misfortune as soon as you land on the island. Upon arrival at the island, you learn about a ghost named LeChuck who is haunting the waters surrounding this island. Nobody is willing to do business with you because of this ghost. You also learn that the ghost has a crush on the governor of the island. When Guybrush meets her later in the game he falls in love with her, too. See the problem here? LeChuck is in love with Marley and wants to marry her. Even though he’s dead. Now, Guybrush has come in to save the day and rescue Marley from the evil LeChuck. What Guybrush doesn’t know is that Marley can take care of herself and he doesn’t need to go through all this trouble of rescuing her. This is a hilarious game that everyone and I mean everyone should play. This game is mouse-driven and in told in third-person.

Graphics

The graphics are standard for the time this game was programmed and designed. Though, it is an excellent job with appearance. Nothing like the remake of the first King’s Quest Game in 1990 or was it 1991? Who knows? I enjoyed the graphics immensely. I give the graphics an A.

Music

I had trouble getting the music to run throughout the whole game on my computer. But, it did work in some areas of the game. From what I heard the music was definitely fitting for the type of game it was used for. Especially on LeChuck’s ship when the ghosts were dancing around to the music that was being played. Oh geez, I don’t want to spoil anything else on this. So, I won’t say anything else. There! I give the music an A-.

Puzzles

The puzzles are all inventory-based and logical-style based puzzles. I had trouble figuring out some of the puzzles. But, other than that, it wasn’t that hard to think about what to do next or who to talk to next. All you needed was a brain and some caffeine for these kinds of puzzles. I give the puzzles an A.

Overall, I enjoyed this game immensely. It has so much humor in the game. It may be the first in the series. But, it’s just as fun as the other games in the series. Well, I leave you for now. Time to go to Monkey Island II!

Overall Grade: A

Lvl 55 Hunter in WOW
Re: The Secret of Monkey Island #87772
10/31/01 11:17 PM
10/31/01 11:17 PM
Body in California/Heart in Ha...
syd Offline
Adept Boomer
syd  Offline
Adept Boomer

Body in California/Heart in Ha...
Great review of one of my all time favorite games. I've played every Monkey Island out and loved each and every one of them. The story is so good in this one you forget the graphics are old.

Dark Side : Risen
Light Side:

I can only please one person a day. Today isn't your day. Tomorrow's not looking good either.
Re: The Secret of Monkey Island #87773
11/01/01 11:07 PM
11/01/01 11:07 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi.

Enjoyed the review very much :-)

Monkeys 1 and 2 were the first computer games I ever played and were what got me addicted to adventure games.
I thought it was SO clever that you could make these little figures do what you commanded :-)
I had never seen anything like it before !!
[Even though I nearly went insane trying to solve some of the puzzles ;-D]

I wasn't as keen on Monkey 3 - didn't think it was quite the same calibre as the first two :-(

I still frequently re play nos 1 and 2 though and am looking forward to getting round to Monkey 4 :-D

Cheers.

Mad.

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (oldbroad), 355 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users