GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Ypur Expert Opinion ... Power Supply Upgrade [Re: Draclvr] #878857
04/06/13 05:10 PM
04/06/13 05:10 PM
Alaska
lanlynk Offline
Settled Boomer
lanlynk  Offline
Settled Boomer

Alaska
Originally Posted By: Draclvr
I keep finding more and more reasons to build my own computers...

I must say I've had much better luck with replacing components in HP computers. I was even able to find a perfect replacement for a PSU in an old HP Windows ME computer.

I've had the same experience with HP vs. Dell, but it could have just been me. I replaced a power supply in an HP a few years back with no problem. Did my research. All went well.

But then I tried the same thing with a Dell, being just as careful to find the specs recommended. Messed up anyway. The back outlet didn't fit properly. After all the uninstalling and installing, that poor computer never did function the way it should. But maybe the issue was with another component I replaced along the way. I upgraded memory and graphics card too, replaced a clock battery. Tweaked some other things. Maybe I just Frankensteined the thing too much!

I suppose there's a lesson here somewhere ... something about letting the past just die? headscratch

Last edited by lanlynk; 04/06/13 05:12 PM. Reason: added quote

"Dragons were never gone. They were just invisible and very, very quiet." ~ M'aiq the Liar (Skyrim)
Re: Ypur Expert Opinion ... Power Supply Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss] #878864
04/06/13 05:41 PM
04/06/13 05:41 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: GreyFuss
What could possibly happen?

You could have your identity stolen by being infected with spyware while browsing the Internet. This is more serious than just catching a nuisance virus because the repercussions can follow you around for the rest of your life.

Quote:
What would happen if I still used XP past the support date next April.

Depends on your browsing habits and whether you disabled scripting in your browser. Disabling javascript is not enough -- you'd need something like NoScript to block other types of scripting. Your antivirus may catch some things, but it won't catch infections that change their signature with each infection (like polymorphic viruses). Cutting off scripting disables the main avenue of infection by malware that attacks through the web browser.

Quote:
If the issue is as serious as you say then I may as well not do any fun things like upgrade this XP.

You can still play games offline. Or you could add a second hard drive to your computer and set up a dual boot of XP with Windows 7.

Quote:
and wait for hopefully a better OS (Win 9 or Win Whine) is released and invest that money in a great Ecollege or Cyberpower system then.

Well, judging by Win8, you're probably better with Win7 than hoping Win9 will be better.

Re: Ypur Expert Opinion ... Power Supply Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss] #878871
04/06/13 06:01 PM
04/06/13 06:01 PM
Michigan
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
Get a computer from Cyberpower and put an end to all this proprietory stuff.

Re: Ypur Expert Opinion ... Power Supply Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss] #878872
04/06/13 06:12 PM
04/06/13 06:12 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I can't say it any better than Jenny did. I didn't understand all the acronyms either, but the bottom line is that XP is long past being a secure operating system. It's going to be 13 years old and they are no longer going to be patching security holes and bugs in the operating system leaving you wide open to any number of vulnerabilities. It's not a chance I care to take with my information. Like I said, I've already taken my XP computer off line just to be safe. Just take yours off line and use it for gaming! That's what I do. Lanlynk, I also have a hard time letting my old XP go, but I have no problem moving forward with new technology. I work on computers for a lot of people, so I need to keep up with all the new stuff. I've already been able to help 3 people with their new Windows 8 laptops... they love it.

GreyFuss, why don't you take a look at what Windows 8 is all about and see what you think... And rest assured, Microsoft is not going back to the old way of doing things with any future operating systems. I use it on my 4 year old computer with a mouse and keyboard.

Meet Windows 8

EDIT: Just saw your post, Geo. Couldn't agree more! That's why I build my own.

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Ypur Expert Opinion ... Power Supply Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss] #878873
04/06/13 06:21 PM
04/06/13 06:21 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
It's going to be 13 years old and they are no longer going to be patching security holes and bugs in the operating system

It's not just that -- it's that they can't patch it properly because the underpinnings for doing so aren't there.

Re: Ypur Expert Opinion ... Power Supply Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss] #878874
04/06/13 06:36 PM
04/06/13 06:36 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Just read this posted today Windows 8 Has Failed so that looks to be out.

Jenny I like the idea of building a big rig with a dual boot and Win 7 with Win XP but if XP is on the same computer wouldn't it make the whole computer a security risk if XP is on board?

I have been drooling over the cases I see at ecollegepc and Cyberpower. Huge cases with airport size fans. I could do without all the neon lights but a supersized PSU is getting me turned on. Once again I had better go lay down and cool off to get rid of this "I want a new computer" virus I just caught.

Question about the Win 7, what is the real difference between 32 bit and 64 bit. Is it one of those things that the human eye really can't see. Like super duper expensive speakers vs very good speakers? And when will the support stop for that? Like XP will Win 7 Pro support last longer than Home?

I love this as I am learning so much.

"Don't Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful...There Are Many Other Reasons!"
Re: Ypur Expert Opinion ... Power Supply Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss] #878876
04/06/13 06:37 PM
04/06/13 06:37 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
And that's the bottom line for sure. They aren't going to be keeping it patched because they can't. Good point.

Greyfuss, you can find any number of articles out there that say Windows 8 has failed. You can also find any number of articles that say it's the wave of the future or that the verdict isn't in yet. I'm in the camp with the verdict isn't in yet, because I really like it.

Did you watch the video I linked you to?

Jenny can explain the reason about 32 bit and 64 bit, but essentially 32 bit can only "see" and use a bit less that 4 GB of RAM. 64 bit can see and use 8, 16, 32 and on up GB of RAM.

I had my XP and my Windows 7 on the same motherboard and it didn't work out well at all. If you get a new computer, you will be getting a snazzy updated motherboard too. They just don't have the drivers needed to run XP well. I finally built a low end system just to house my old XP drive.

Oh, and Microsoft will support Windows 7 until 2020, so you will be good to go for a long time.

Just to whet your appetite, why don't you go to eCollegePC and just play around with putting something together just to see what's out there - it's sort of fun!

Re: Ypur Expert Opinion ... Power Supply Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss] #878877
04/06/13 06:49 PM
04/06/13 06:49 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Sorry Drac, what video was that? The one about installing a PSU?

Last edited by GreyFuss; 04/06/13 06:53 PM.

Re: Ypur Expert Opinion ... Power Supply Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss] #878879
04/06/13 07:04 PM
04/06/13 07:04 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
No, the one on page 2 of the thread... Meet Windows 8.

Re: Ypur Expert Opinion ... Power Supply Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss] #878880
04/06/13 07:20 PM
04/06/13 07:20 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Just read this posted today Windows 8 Has Failed so that looks to be out.

That guy seems to think people would rather keep spending money on an Office subscription (or have Office quit working) than possibly spend money as necessary on computer upgrades. All this "in the cloud" stuff you read about is marketing. They want to push people into spending and spending and spending on the same software every year instead of just buying it and using it as long as it works.

Quote:
Jenny I like the idea of building a big rig with a dual boot and Win 7 with Win XP but if XP is on the same computer wouldn't it make the whole computer a security risk if XP is on board?

Just disable the network card in XP and it won't pick up any viruses from the Internet while XP is running. When you want to browse the Internet, you boot into Win7.

I was actually thinking more of a 2nd hard drive for your current computer, but I don't know how old it is, how much memory it has, or if it has space for a 2nd hard drive.

Re: Ypur Expert Opinion ... Power Supply Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss] #878890
04/06/13 08:11 PM
04/06/13 08:11 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Drac

I don't see a video in that link.

Thanks Jenny for your input. It may be because I have the the new computer virus but instead of paying for a new PSU, Graphics Card, Windows 7 OS and new Harddrive it may be better to get a new rig with all that on it but its nice to hear you options.

I still don't know, is Win 7 64 bit better or worth it over 32 bit?

Is Win 7 Ultimate any different than Pro?

Since Win 7 has been out for a while when does support expire for it? Will support last longer for Pro like XP does Ultimate?

Oh my...there are just soo many choices to pick from at ecollege and cyberpower and compared to what I use to spend on computers in the past very reasonable.

Re: Ypur Expert Opinion ... Power Supply Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss] #878893
04/06/13 08:24 PM
04/06/13 08:24 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I still don't know, is Win 7 64 bit better or worth it over 32 bit?

Yes. Most new computers come with at least 8GB of system RAM, and a 32-bit operating system wouldn't even be able to use half of that. There's no point in using 32-bit unless you have an old system where the motherboard won't take more than 4GB anyway. The only advantage of 32-bit is that 64-bit operating systems won't use 16-bit code. But games that are so old they use 16-bit code are best played in an emulator anyway.

Quote:
Is Win 7 Ultimate any different than Pro?

Not for your purposes. As you can see here
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/compare#T1=tab01
you don't get Bitlocker and you can't switch between 35 different languages with Pro.

Quote:
Since Win 7 has been out for a while when does support expire for it?

2020 -- of course that may change in the future and it may be supported later than that.

Quote:
Will support last longer for Pro like XP does Ultimate?

Pro is the Professional version, which will be supported longer than the Home version. Ultimate is the same as Enterprise (the difference is that Enterprise uses a volume license) and will be supported the same as Pro.

Quote:
Oh my...there are just soo many choices to pick from at ecollege and cyberpower and compared to what I use to spend on computers in the past very reasonable.

Have fun.

Re: Ypur Expert Opinion ... Power Supply Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss] #878897
04/06/13 08:45 PM
04/06/13 08:45 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

All valuble lessons Jenny, thank you. If I am not mistaken Win XP support was extnded when it was first supposed to expire by Microsoft. Hopefully they will do that with Win 7 also. The Tomato Lady knows me well and if she says Win 8 would drive me crazy then I certainly wouldn't want to make myself crazy. Any push might send me over the kook-kew's nest

Re: Ypur Expert Opinion ... Power Supply Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss] #878905
04/06/13 09:33 PM
04/06/13 09:33 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Hope you find the computer you're looking for, GreyFuss.

Re: Ypur Expert Opinion ... Power Supply Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss] #878908
04/06/13 09:45 PM
04/06/13 09:45 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Greyfuss, there is a button on that page that says, "Watch the Video." You really should at least take a look at it so you know what Windows 8 looks like.

64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium will be exactly what you need and it will be supported until at least 2020.

This has been a fun discussion! Please feel free to come back here for help with the jungle of components to choose from if you decide to have one built for you.

Re: Ypur Expert Opinion ... Power Supply Upgrade [Re: Draclvr] #878914
04/06/13 10:20 PM
04/06/13 10:20 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
Greyfuss, there is a button on that page that says, "Watch the Video."

Where, Drac? I didn't see one on the Meet Windows 8 page. Not that I want it, I'd just like to see the hype. grin

Gil.

"Best not to think about it. I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought."
Re: Ypur Expert Opinion ... Power Supply Upgrade [Re: Draclvr] #878916
04/06/13 10:26 PM
04/06/13 10:26 PM
Alaska
lanlynk Offline
Settled Boomer
lanlynk  Offline
Settled Boomer

Alaska
Draclvr, I watched the video. Thanks. They make Win 8 look pretty cool. Everything seems to be moving toward touch. Maybe Win 8 is kind of a bridge OS, with both touch and keyboard/mouse?

When Win 8 was on sale at the first of the year, I thought about upgrading from Win 7. One of my sons said that unless I was using a touch screen, though, I might as well stick with Win 7 for now, even though Win 8 has some other features.

I love new technology, but I usually let the bravest users work through the bugs and glitches ... in games and devices. wink

"Dragons were never gone. They were just invisible and very, very quiet." ~ M'aiq the Liar (Skyrim)
Re: Ypur Expert Opinion ... Power Supply Upgrade [Re: Draclvr] #878918
04/06/13 10:48 PM
04/06/13 10:48 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Greyfuss, there is a button on that page that says, "Watch the Video." You really should at least take a look at it so you know what Windows 8 looks like.

64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium will be exactly what you need and it will be supported until at least 2020.

This has been a fun discussion! Please feel free to come back here for help with the jungle of components to choose from if you decide to have one built for you.

There isn't a "Watch the Video" on the screen I see. Could it be because I am using FireFox? Or maybe I need new glasses, new brain, both of which I should really be upgrading too.

I have been playing around with the different configuration at those computer sites and I know for sure that I will need help with things like Motherboard and such and of course I would not purchase anything without posting the configuration for all of you to help me with.

Re: Ypur Expert Opinion ... Power Supply Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss] #878924
04/06/13 11:34 PM
04/06/13 11:34 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
There isn't a "Watch the Video" on the screen I see. Could it be because I am using FireFox?

Well I see the button with Firefox -- but only if I block scripting from aspnetcdn.com
And whether I block aspnetcdn.com or not, the button doesn't work in Firefox on a Mac. However I see the button and it works in Safari. And I have to wonder how much they paid those people to act like such microbrains.

Here's a different Windows 8 video that answers a vital question
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL2i7MCb768

Re: Ypur Expert Opinion ... Power Supply Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss] #878931
04/06/13 11:50 PM
04/06/13 11:50 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Thanks for the link Jenny

Egad.....no way...Win 8 is not for computers and not for me for sure. That looks like its made for touchscreen stuff like Lanlynk says. Draclvr, you were right, I would never like that. Now I wonder if there is a good video on what Win 7 is like.

Re: Ypur Expert Opinion ... Power Supply Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss] #878933
04/06/13 11:53 PM
04/06/13 11:53 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I see the button in my Firefox, IE10 and Chrome. It is indeed some major hype with all these joyful people bouncing around drooling over Windows 8. But it's still an interesting watch if you have no idea what it's all about.

I've found the hoopla around the lack of a start button to be highly overrated. I've got my start screen customized to be exactly what I want just like the old start button. However, if I don't want to go there, I can right click in the lower left corner and there is everything I need in a nice little list.

Re: Ypur Expert Opinion ... Power Supply Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss] #878935
04/07/13 12:10 AM
04/07/13 12:10 AM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

I would like to watch it too Drac. Wonder why I can't see it. I am trying to find a good video for Win 7. Is there a Classic button on Win 7 or 8 like XP had? I never liked XP's so I chose the Classic look.

Re: Ypur Expert Opinion ... Power Supply Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss] #878937
04/07/13 12:28 AM
04/07/13 12:28 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
You might try going to the link in IE... maybe the Watch Video button will show up there. Or try this one at Youtube...

Lanlynk, this one also shows you how to use Windows 8 completely with mouse and keyboard. I'm telling people if you have Windows 7, there is no reason to upgrade to Windows 8 unless you want to.

Windows 8 in 3 Minutes

And here are a bunch of short videos about the new features in Windows 7. One compares it to XP.

Windows 7

Re: Ypur Expert Opinion ... Power Supply Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss] #878940
04/07/13 12:48 AM
04/07/13 12:48 AM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

This is really weird, I opened the link in IE 8 and I still don't see a video button. So far everything I have been looking at for Win 7 and 8 are a buzz kill for my "buy a new computer" excitement as neither floats my boat but 7 is closer...oh my god...keyboard controls....good grief...this is so disappointing...lol maybe I should just give up computing...is Bingo fun at the VFW?

Re: Ypur Expert Opinion ... Power Supply Upgrade [Re: Draclvr] #878942
04/07/13 12:58 AM
04/07/13 12:58 AM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon

Eep! I felt like someone had tossed me in the dryer and put it on spin watching this one. grin
Win 8 is plug ugly. Of course, I feel that way about the glass pyramid in front of the Louvre, too. I guess I'm officially a trilobite. (Crabby anyway if not quite extinct.)

Originally Posted By: Jenny100

Here's a different Windows 8 video that answers a vital question
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL2i7MCb768

Yah, and I see why comments are disabled on this video. That guy is obnoxious.

Gil.

"Best not to think about it. I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought."
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (soot), 267 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users