GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#299193 - 03/24/08 06:00 AM Re: GK3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned [Re: syd]
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: london uk
Thanks Syd for a good review. This was the 1st GK game I played which I nearly didn't bother persisting with because of the controls! - but thankfully I did end up getting totally immersed in the story & just had to have the 1st 2 games which are now amongst my favourites. The Templar theme in GK3 was a real treat as my interest in the subject had already been provoked by Broken Sword 1. The only puzzle I really hated was the end one which I thought was inconsistent with the rest of the game.

Some other books not mentioned are:

Secrets Of The Code (The Unauthorised Guide to the Mysteries Behind The Da Vinci Code)
Edited by Dan Burstein
Published by: Wiedenfeld & Nicolson (GB 2004)
CDs Books (USA 2004)

The Templars
Piers Paul Read
Published by: Wiedenfeld & Nicolson (GB 1999)

This is quite a heavy read which starts off with pages of very detailed accounts of the 'political & religious climates' preceding & leading to the rise of the Templars & then their eventual downfall - gleaned from a variety of historical sources. It contains many interesting & surprising facts.

#304360 - 04/02/08 03:14 PM Re: GK3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned [Re: chrissie]
oldmariner Offline
Reviewer
Addicted Boomer

Originally Posted By: chrissie
The only puzzle I really hated was the end one which I thought was inconsistent with the rest of the game.

The ending puzzle may have been inconsistent with the rest of the game but it was consistent with GK1 & GK2. Each of the three games ended with a difficult puzzle that did not fit with game play through the game. The puzzles were not difficult in terms of figuring out the how or what. They were difficult because of quick reaction or timing required to execute them. Which was a total change in game play required to get to that point. You might come to think it is a GK or JJ tradition. Makes you wonder if this trend ( trait?) will be carried over to Gray Matter.

#304725 - 04/03/08 07:26 AM Re: GK3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned [Re: oldmariner]
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi smile

I think of it as a "Sierra" tradition !!

Several of their adventures had "drive you mad" endings scared

Cheers.

Mad wave

#304909 - 04/03/08 12:29 PM Re: GK3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned [Re: Mad]
Tomer Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Tel Aviv, Israel.
Funny, it seems as though almost everybody in this thread agree that the SIDNEY puzzles were boring.
I have to admit that when I think of comparing a puzzle to something - the Le serpent rouge puzzles are definitely some of my examples for the best puzzles out there in the adventure genre.
The way they were integrated with the plot, the way they gave the player a sense of really solving something by his own, the way they were scattered throughout Gabriel's practical investigation - I just thought it was made so brilliantly!
I didn't like the beginning of the game much, nor the ending, and still, I rank this game, out of all the GK's, my first. I think the research made in it, and the depth this game has reached, is far beyond the others, not to mention other games.
It's amazing how much details were inserted to the game.

Anyway, Sidney is my idea of a puzzle - complex and justified, based on pure historical facts, and on the plot. Grace was always in charge of "theoretical research" (also in GK2 and 1), and the fact is, she always saved the day.
So Mad, you said: "In previous GK games, Gabe and Grace both went out and about and investigated for goodness sake - they didn't sit in an hotel room computerin' half the day". That's not true! Grace was wondering in libraries and museums in GK2, and in 1, she kept making researches for Gabriel!

#305372 - 04/04/08 09:33 AM Re: GK3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned [Re: Tomer]
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer

Hi Tomer smile

We all have different slants on what makes a good game and which puzzles are the best for US grin

GK1 was my personal favourite of the series - and still is - dated though it might be - and I must admit that Grace didn't venture out of the office in it much. In fact not until near the end of the game. But Gabriel certainly did !!

And In GK2, as you say, "Grace was wondering in libraries and museums" which in my book is NOT sitting in the hotel room glued to the computer .... wink

And whilst you thoroughly enjoyed the SYDNEY aspect of GK3 - we will never all enjoy the same kind of puzzle.
How boring would THAT be for developers ??

Cheers.

Mad wave

#306175 - 04/05/08 04:27 PM Re: GK3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned [Re: Mad]
Tomer Offline
Settled Boomer

Originally Posted By: Mad

And whilst you thoroughly enjoyed the SYDNEY aspect of GK3 - we will never all enjoy the same kind of puzzle.
How boring would THAT be for developers ??

Cheers.

Mad wave

Why is it impossible to share an opinion without getting this feedback every time? I didn't generalize anything, I honestly respect your tastes and views, and I obviously spoke ideas that are mine. I think it's trivial and crucial that we'd all have our different opinions.
I said I was surprised that so many dislike the puzzle, and I explained why. That's all.

And regarding the game - I know visiting museums and libraries isn't exactly the same as sitting in an hotel, but what's really the difference?
The fact is, Grace is mostly busy doing research. In GK2 she had no Sidney and no technology so she went to libraries. Moreover, I think GK3's Grace is the most adventurous of them all - all the vinyard bit? sneaking into closets and basements? driving Gabe's motorcycle around the vally? She definitelly did a lot more wondering around than in GK2, where she mostly snooped around Rittersberg.
However, I personally don't care much for how much exploring she's making. May sound cheezy but for me Grace explores the realm of the mind and theory, and she represents for me the pure beauty of wisdom.

#306359 - 04/05/08 11:20 PM Re: GK3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned [Re: Mad]
Phoebe Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Brazil
Great Review Syd

I love de series GK, but for me the most weakling of series it is GK3, but still a great game.

Love Maria hearts

Edited by Phoebe (04/05/08 11:21 PM)

#307541 - 04/08/08 08:25 AM Re: GK3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned [Re: Tomer]
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer

Hi Tomer ..... You ask ....

"Why is it impossible to share an opinion without getting this feedback every time?"

I don't understand your question.
We are at a "forum" : a place for open discussion ....

Our Moderator Becky says :

"you can post a review of any game you choose in the Boomer Reviews forum here. Others who have played the game can then comment -- it becomes part of a data base of opinion then that's been helping adventure gamers for years"

Cheers.

Mad think

#307572 - 04/08/08 09:13 AM Re: GK3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned [Re: Mad]
Tomer Offline
Settled Boomer

Mad, I wrote this regarding the post I quoted of yours.... I don't understand your question.

#307591 - 04/08/08 10:00 AM Re: GK3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned [Re: Tomer]
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer

Hi Tomer smile

I am mystified now.

We are in a forum.
In a forum we can offer opinions - which may generate feedback.

As you don't seem to want feedback I won't give any more to your posts on this thread. OK ??

Cheers.

Mad wave

#307627 - 04/08/08 11:59 AM Re: GK3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned [Re: Mad]
Tomer Offline
Settled Boomer

Mad, you can feedback as much as you'd like - did you carefully read my post above?! I only wondered why is it that almost every time someone disagrees, there's always a post saying "well, that's only your opinion!". I just said that's trivial, and that I obviously realize that what I write is my opinion.

Don't be mystified, just read, and don't jump to conclusions.

Cheers!

Tomer smile

#307738 - 04/08/08 05:50 PM Re: GK3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned [Re: Tomer]
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Loc: Stony Brook, New York, USA
Tomer -- this form of communication we use is difficult in that we can't see other people's faces to read clues as to how they are feeling when they are communicating. This sometimes leads to people getting upset when something they say is contradicted or someone disagrees with them.

As we try hard at GameBoomers to stay "kind and friendly" as we communicate, it's not wrong to reiterate that something is just your opinion. It's a bit like saying "excuse me" or perhaps "with all due respect." laugh

Asking someone if they have carefully read your post can be interpreted as asking them if they are careless and haphazard or perhaps not capable of understanding what you just said. Would you want someone to ask this question of you?

#307905 - 04/09/08 05:35 AM Re: GK3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned [Re: Becky]
Tomer Offline
Settled Boomer

Becky, if you don't want me to post in these forums, I won't!

Now if that was my reaction to what you just wrote, how would you respond? :-)

I know it's not "wrong" to post what Mad wrote (that it's my opinion etc...), but I just felt a need to question the reason for posting it. I re-read my original post, regarding the Sidney puzzles. I tried to explain my opinions, and I did so without any aggresions or hard feelings. I even bothered to remark (though theoratically it's not nessecary) that it's only my take and my opinion...
And still, I get a reply saying "Well, that's only your opinion". That's why I had an urge to question the relavence of Mad's post. However, I also realized I don't want to make this whole discussion surround this particular "drama", so I just wrote a few lines, and got back to my take on the game.
It seems I have failed smile It's amazing how these little things grow on threads!

Anyway, I wasn't trying to hurt anybody of course, if I did so, accept my appology.

Tomer.

#307973 - 04/09/08 08:18 AM Re: GK3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned [Re: Tomer]
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer

Loc: Alabama
Sometimes posts which were made innocently acquire a life of their own. I think everyone has had their say now.

Let's get back to the "regularly scheduled" topic--GK3wavepuppy

#307994 - 04/09/08 09:03 AM Re: GK3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned [Re: looney4labs]
Jehane Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Vienna, Austria
Nice topic smile I love GK3, perhaps because it was the second adventure game I ever played and the story really sucked me in. I've always had an interest in the Templars and had done some research on them for my master's thesis, stumbling across Baigent/Leigh/Lincoln as well and reading part of the book. So I was somewhat familiar with their theories when I started to play GK3. It just blew me away and was a real challenge; I, too, enjoyed the Sidney puzzles although they were pretty difficult for an adventure newbie, and I admit that I couldn't solve all parts without resorting to a walkthrough. The last puzzle (if you can call it a puzzle) was somewhat annoying because it took me a while to figure out where to stand in order to finish off that demon but it worked alright. I can understand, though, that the puzzles were not to everybody's liking but I found them intruiging - basically because I lacked adventuring experience and had only played Broken Sword before smile I just didn't have the chance to compare the puzzles in GK3 with those in its predecessors.

GK3 still is my favourite game although since then I've played lots of other adventure games. Only the prequels came close to dethroning GK3; Beast Within runs a very, very close second in my personal list of all-time favourites smile

As for the posting containing the spoiler: You gotta be kidding eek Now that would make an interesting twist for GK4... but can you imagine
Click to reveal..
Gabe changing diapers and feeding the baby? Or humming lullabys to make it go to sleep?

Oooh, the possibilities... lol

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Jenny100, looney4labs 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
3 registered (Sherlock, CanukDenis, Pandora), 136 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Zorkmid57, StuDapples, SweetLulu, Lion_1251, phimestudio
8978 Registered Users