GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Unexpected sex scenes in games -Are not welcome #878988
04/07/13 07:43 AM
04/07/13 07:43 AM
St Albans, UK
vic Offline OP
Settled Boomer
vic  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

St Albans, UK
I am playing a game at the moment and there is a sudden sex scene in it which totally spoiled the mood of the game. It was not an actual image of nudity but one of the characters obviously was performing a sex act on the other without any parts being shown.

It broke the spell of the story for me as it was out of character for the people and was a total shock. I am upset about it and wanted to share that with you. I don't feel like mentioning the name of the game as I am so annoyed about it I don't want to give them publicity nor if there are minors looking at this site to encourage them to buy it.

If any developers are out there looking at this post please note if I am playing a game that is not meant to be x-rated / publicised as containing sex references/scenes I don't want a sex scene in there it doesnt matter if its not an actual graphic of nudity etc, the fact that a story suddenly changes to one like that is enough to ruin the story and it is highly tasteless and it is not funny.

vic
Re: Unexpected sex scenes in games -Are not welcome [Re: vic] #879020
04/07/13 10:44 AM
04/07/13 10:44 AM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
They have to be marked and rated vic so that these things are not totally unexpected. Have you checked the box to see what the rating is? It does not bother me any when they do that and it rarely occurs especially in Adventure games. The only ones I can think of is Culpa Innata the uncut version and Al Emmo.

It is far more frequent in the Darkside games.

I personally do not want them to cut them out because I do not mind adult content in my games. They rarely put them in though because they prefer not to have a rating that limits who can purchase them.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Unexpected sex scenes in games -Are not welcome [Re: vic] #879042
04/07/13 11:10 AM
04/07/13 11:10 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Although it's rare in adventure games, it's not uncommon at all in Darkside games like Ana says. I also don't mind adult content in my games and would not want it cut out. There should be a rating on the box somewhere that indicates the game is for 18 or over or something like that.

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Unexpected sex scenes in games -Are not welcome [Re: vic] #879050
04/07/13 11:24 AM
04/07/13 11:24 AM
GreyFuss Offline
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline
Addicted Boomer

There was one at the begining in Phantasmagoria: Prey its only a Nightmare with a little nudity, but you were given a choice at the beginning of the game to play without that scene. The game was marked "M" for Mature. I won't even mention all the sex innuendo in Phantasmagoria: A Puzzle of Flesh but then again it was rated "M" for Mature.

Like Ana I don't mind the sex as long as I know I am playing a Mature game and know prior to playing its in the game. What I dislike to no end is the excessive swearing that seems to be creeping more and more into adventures. Yes, I will name a few, I am talking about you Cognition and you Secret Files especially 3. Good writers can write emotions and feelings without the unnecessary swearing. It is embarrassing when you are playing the game and an unexpected "F" bomb is being thrown out loud within earshot of others. Believe me, I am no prude or an angel by any means but to me if you can't find a good writer for a game that has enough talent to write emotion then don't make the game.

That is all

"Don't Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful...There Are Many Other Reasons!"
Re: Unexpected sex scenes in games -Are not welcome [Re: vic] #879056
04/07/13 11:36 AM
04/07/13 11:36 AM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
I have to agree about the swearing Greyfuss. I am no angel when it comes to using colorful language but it usually does not fit in games or Tv (the series Deadwood comes to mind). It seems thrown in, as though you have a script and they pick randomly where you will throw in gratuitous bad words. I believe it's to attract younger people, but quite honestly the majority of them can hold a conversation quite fine without throwing in swear words and maybe those that can't would learn to communicate more effectively if they did not hear it all over.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Unexpected sex scenes in games -Are not welcome [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #879058
04/07/13 11:44 AM
04/07/13 11:44 AM
GreyFuss Offline
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
I have to agree about the swearing Greyfuss. I am no angel when it comes to using colorful language but it usually does not fit in games or Tv (the series Deadwood comes to mind). It seems thrown in, as though you have a script and they pick randomly where you will throw in gratuitous bad words. I believe it's to attract younger people, but quite honestly the majority of them can hold a conversation quite fine without throwing in swear words and maybe those that can't would learn to communicate more effectively if they did not hear it all over.

Ana wave

Agreed

"Don't Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful...There Are Many Other Reasons!"
Re: Unexpected sex scenes in games -Are not welcome [Re: GreyFuss] #879080
04/07/13 12:24 PM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
I agree with ,Vic....

I am no angel either, but to me there is no place in adventure games for nudity, obscene language, or sexual performances.

Its just not necessary.. shame

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
"Games Are More Enticing Because Of Our "MaG"nificent Efficient Radiant Site"
Re: Unexpected sex scenes in games -Are not welcome [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #879081
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
The only ones I can think of is Culpa Innata the uncut version and Al Emmo.

I notice that The Adventure Shop gave ***Culpa Uncut*** an E rating and ***Al Emmo*** a C rating. Could this have to do with different attitudes toward sex between North America and Europe?

Phantasmagoria and Indigo Prophecy had sex scenes, but they also had the M rating for them. Runaway 2 at least had a teen rating.

Re: Unexpected sex scenes in games -Are not welcome [Re: vic] #879091
04/07/13 12:53 PM
04/07/13 12:53 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
I beta tested Culpa Innata and they had some great intimate scenes in there that fit quite well with the story and Phoenix's life. I was rather disappointed that they had to cut it out to sell here. I am not sure how much of the scenes from the beta went into the final uncut version but if they were all put in it surely was not an E rating. lol

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Unexpected sex scenes in games -Are not welcome [Re: vic] #879133
04/07/13 02:57 PM
04/07/13 02:57 PM
St Albans, UK
vic Offline OP
Settled Boomer
vic  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

St Albans, UK
Thanks all for your comments, I am glad I shared my experience with you.

I have played adventure games that have sex scenes or sex references in them and this was fine as they had something to do with the games story and there was some warning. I was not upset about them as they were in context and did not destroy the story.

Because the one I posted about had no warning and did not fit the story at all it was a horrid shock. It was download so no box but there was no mention anywhere when I started the game, no mention when I read reviews of it, nor a choice of level to choose.

Thanks again for all your comments.

vic
Re: Unexpected sex scenes in games -Are not welcome [Re: vic] #879140
04/07/13 03:07 PM
04/07/13 03:07 PM
Alaska
lanlynk Offline
Settled Boomer
lanlynk  Offline
Settled Boomer

Alaska
I agree with what's been said here. I think it's the "gratuitous" aspect of violence, swearing, and sex that is the most provoking. I can live with these things if not overdone or just thrown in for shock value. Give me a good story, and I won't need all that extra sensationalism. They do the same thing in movies and books. Feels very contrived.

"Dragons were never gone. They were just invisible and very, very quiet." ~ M'aiq the Liar (Skyrim)
Re: Unexpected sex scenes in games -Are not welcome [Re: lanlynk] #879265
04/07/13 10:03 PM
04/07/13 10:03 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
The swearing in Adventure games does go back quite a way though because I remember being rather shocked when I encountered some pretty crude swearing in "The Longest Journey" frown

[Personally I'm not in favour of swearing or sexual content/innuendo in any games.]

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Unexpected sex scenes in games -Are not welcome [Re: vic] #879267
04/07/13 10:43 PM
04/07/13 10:43 PM
London, UK
rmt Offline
Settled Boomer
rmt  Offline
Settled Boomer

London, UK
I never thought I would hear myself say this, but I too didn't like the swearing in the Longest Journey. It felt gratuitous and unjustified. Does she say it when when she sinks the boat? Perhaps there it was justified and even funny.

I don't particularly want sex scenes either in adventures but I don't regret the one sex scene in the uncut version of Culpa Innata. As it was a nightmare and we were meant to feel discomforted by it, just like Phoenix was when she woke up. I would not have minded a sex scene between Phoenix and Jean-Michel though. Hard to say, I guess it depends on the adventure and circumstances, and in Culpa Innata it was justified, their whole social society is based on one night stands.

But I would not have found it appropriate for April Ryan or Zoë Castillo to have a sex scene in the Longest Journey. But I did enjoy the romantic scene of Zoë with that guy in Japan in Dreamfall.

And the scene when Gabriel Knight jumped into bed with Grace in GK3 was well done.

What I like though are sexy characters, I see nothing wrong with that and I enjoy it. As long as it is not too obvious and that it is done with taste. It must also be balanced, if a girl is sexy, well the guy should be too, otherwise I feel something is not right.

As for Phantasmagoria a puzzle of flesh, my mental state after playing that incredible game was more worrying to me than any sex scene or innuendo which I can't even remember. Which reminds me, I must play that powerful game again... smile

Re: Unexpected sex scenes in games -Are not welcome [Re: vic] #879471
04/08/13 02:00 PM
04/08/13 02:00 PM
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
judith Offline
Addicted Boomer
judith  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Edmonton, Alberta Canada
There was quite a bit of colorful language in Still Life, but it was used when Victoria was very angry, so for me it was more realistic.

A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.
Re: Unexpected sex scenes in games -Are not welcome [Re: vic] #879477
04/08/13 02:38 PM
04/08/13 02:38 PM
Wales
meryl Offline
Settled Boomer
meryl  Offline
Settled Boomer

Wales
I seemed to be one of the few people who didn't enjoy The Longest Journey as a game.
Thinking back and having read this thread I realise the crude swearing scenes were one of the major off-putting factors for me.
I can remember being really shocked because it was so unexpected and I'd never encountered it in a game before; and it seemed so superfluous - just unnecessary.

I've never yet come across a sexual scene in a game, but I know I'd hate it. I can't be bothered with sexual scenes in films; it slows down the action and the plot and my attention wanders. I'm sure it would have a similar effect in a game. I play mostly first person games so I'm unlikely to come across it, I guess.

Re: Unexpected sex scenes in games -Are not welcome [Re: vic] #879506
04/08/13 04:46 PM
04/08/13 04:46 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
Honestly, what bothers me is not sex scenes, it's the stupid remarks that developers put in their characters mouths. I played Still Life not long ago and when our rather crude heroine looked out through a missing wall at the snow (I'm directed there by a hotspot), she made some snarky comment about just loving what they'd done with the place. This thread reminded me of that and of the other times a character I was supposed to like made me want to do some cussing of my own.

Gil.

"Best not to think about it. I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought."
Re: Unexpected sex scenes in games -Are not welcome [Re: vic] #879535
04/08/13 06:27 PM
04/08/13 06:27 PM
Hillegom, ZH, NL
J
Jarkeld Offline
Settled Boomer
Jarkeld  Offline
Settled Boomer
J

Hillegom, ZH, NL
If the scenes are within the context of the story (Fahrenheit, Heavy Rain) it doesn't bother me. But it is not ok if it ruins the flow of the narrative or is not in line with the character developement.

Re: Unexpected sex scenes in games -Are not welcome [Re: vic] #880757
04/14/13 07:27 AM
04/14/13 07:27 AM
London, UK
rmt Offline
Settled Boomer
rmt  Offline
Settled Boomer

London, UK
I am finally playing Cognition, it is weird to hear the lovely Raleigh Holmes from Scarlet Furies swear, but so far it does not bother me like it did in the Longest Journey. So I guess it really depends on the game, the context and the circumstances. This said, why swear in adventure games when there is no need to? I would prefer not, but I can live with it.

Oh, and that comment in Still Life where she says that she loves what they've done with the place, while it is a wreck, I thought was very funny. I enjoyed that comment, funny how we all react differently to different things.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (LadyKestrel, 1 invisible), 251 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users