GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Strange CAB files #880242
04/11/13 08:24 PM
04/11/13 08:24 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Hope you guys can help me with something I find very strange. I have a game that has several "CAB" files. The game installs and runs fine on 3 of my XP computers but my main XP computer (this one). 2 of the computers open those CAB files with Windows Explorer and 1 opens them with WinRAR. This computer sees the files but does not show a program with them. So consequently the Setup will not even run. What is it with this computer that is different? I tried to force them to open with WinRAR but they wont. Not sure if it has anything to do with a RAR archive and regular RAR. Funny thing is I can't find a Windows Explorer to use.

EDIT:
Also this same computer has never Auto run any disk on either DVD optical drive. I have always had to open My Computer, explore the drive and manually run setup programs. Could these issues be related?

Any help...Ideas?

Last edited by GreyFuss; 04/11/13 08:49 PM.

"Don't Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful...There Are Many Other Reasons!"
Re: Strange CAB files [Re: GreyFuss] #880252
04/11/13 09:07 PM
04/11/13 09:07 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
.Cab files are compressed files that the installer uses in order to install. You're not supposed to extract them to install the game. The game Setup is supposed to do that.

It's possible that the game Setup file is a hidden file on your game disc -- or that you have hidden files set to not show. Or the Setup file might be called something other than Install or Setup.

Which game is this?

To display hidden files,
Quote:
1. Open Folder Options in Control Panel.
• Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
• Click Appearance and Themes, and then click Folder Options.

2. On the View tab, under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

Also, your antivirus may be hiding exe files from you to "protect" you.

Originally Posted By: GreyFuss
Also this same computer has never Auto run any disk on either DVD optical drive.

That's probably due to your Windows configuration. Autorun can be disabled for security reasons.

Re: Strange CAB files [Re: GreyFuss] #880257
04/11/13 09:28 PM
04/11/13 09:28 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Hi Jenny

I am not trying to open the CAB files, because I was having trouble with this computer and not the others I explored the disk while it was in each computer and that was the difference, Right clicking those CAB files and the Icon that was present is why I know what each computer was using to open them. After right clicking the CAB files on this computer it showed no program to open them and asked what I wanted to use. The other 3 computer Autorun the Setup when inserting the disk and they show using Windows Explorer (2) and WinRAR (1) when I right click the exact same files. I may have forgot to mention that this is the same disk inserted into each computer.

I don't have an "Appearance and Themes in the Control Panel, but I do have the Folder Options right there and that had already been checked as Show Hidden Files. Know of any way to change the Windows Configuration so the
Autorun will work on the optical drives for this computer?

Jenny...for someone who is a Mac user you sure know a lot about Windows computer ( I sure am glad you do) smile

EDIT:

Fixed the problem with no program associated with opening a CAB file. WinRAR was not set to recognize CAB files. Went into Options and checked the box for CAB files in the Integration window. Now still trying to figure out what is preventing the optical drive to automatically run any Setup type files when a disk is inserted and start installing games on its own.

Last edited by GreyFuss; 04/12/13 12:52 AM.

Re: Strange CAB files [Re: GreyFuss] #880317
04/12/13 06:40 AM
04/12/13 06:40 AM
M
mj2c Offline
Addicted Boomer
mj2c  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

From http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/configure-autoplay-for-pc-optical-drives-and-media.html

------------
In Windows XP, you control the AutoPlay feature by following these steps:

Open the My Computer window.

Right-click the optical drive icon.

Choose Properties from the pop-up menu.

In the drive’s Properties dialog box, click the AutoPlay tab.

Use the dialog box’s drop-down list to choose a disc type.

Choose the action to take from the Actions area.

Click the OK button when you’re done.

One AutoPlay option is Take No Action. When you choose it and insert a disc, the AutoPlay dialog box doesn’t visually assault you.

One disc type is Software and Games. If you choose the Take No Action item for this type of disc, your software doesn’t automatically install.

Another option is Ask Me Every Time or Prompt Me Each Time to Choose an Action. It’s the opposite of the Take No Action option in that every time you insert a disc, you see the AutoPlay dialog box.

The AutoRun command on the optical drive’s shortcut menu automatically runs whichever program is specified in the autorun.inf file.
----------

Are you sure you want to do this? I thought MS recommended keeping this switched off for safety (antivirus) reasons. The last thing you want is for an infected disk to run automatically.

Last edited by mj2c; 04/12/13 09:00 AM.
Re: Strange CAB files [Re: GreyFuss] #880328
04/12/13 08:57 AM
04/12/13 08:57 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: GreyFuss
I am not trying to open the CAB files, because I was having trouble with this computer and not the others I explored the disk while it was in each computer and that was the difference, Right clicking those CAB files and the Icon that was present is why I know what each computer was using to open them. After right clicking the CAB files on this computer it showed no program to open them and asked what I wanted to use. The other 3 computer Autorun the Setup when inserting the disk and they show using Windows Explorer (2) and WinRAR (1) when I right click the exact same files.

I understand that, but you shouldn't WinRAR or any other program that can open cabs to run the installer. The Install (or Setup) file itself should be able to extract what it needs from the cab files without help.

Quote:
I may have forgot to mention that this is the same disk inserted into each computer.

I assumed that it was the same disc, and that it worked properly on your other XP computers and that you were able to see the Setup file on those.

Quote:
I don't have an "Appearance and Themes in the Control Panel, but I do have the Folder Options right there and that had already been checked as Show Hidden Files.

That's fine. The instructions assumed you were using the ***Category View*** of Control Panel (which is the default view), while you'd changed it to use the Classic View. The result is the same. I always use the Classic View myself.
Quote:
Know of any way to change the Windows Configuration so the Autorun will work on the optical drives for this computer?

Try what mj2c suggested.

Quote:
Jenny...for someone who is a Mac user you sure know a lot about Windows computer ( I sure am glad you do) smile

I own a 5-year-old iMac, and use it for Internet and eMail. But I started with Win95 and still have Windows computers. I just don't have many current games running on Win 7, and none on Win 8.
Quote:
Now still trying to figure out what is preventing the optical drive to automatically run any Setup type files when a disk is inserted and start installing games on its own.

Isn't the problem that the Setup or Install file doesn't show up when you browse the CD on that computer (while it shows up when you look at the CD on your other computers). At least that's what I understood the main problem to be.

If all you want is to enable Autorun, and mj2c's suggestion doesn't work, you could try this Autorun repair wizard
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Windows-XP-autorun-repair-wizard.shtml

Re: Strange CAB files [Re: Jenny100] #880594
04/13/13 01:18 PM
04/13/13 01:18 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Oh....Geesh...I am a little embarrassed.

While puttering with trying to figure this out I discovered a couple of things along with what I have learned here.

First while searching around this computer in order to find out why this game disk has a problem only with this PC........ahem.......I discovered that the game was already installed on this computer.. Once I uninstalled it, the game disk worked perfectly. So perfectly that it in fact it AutoRan when I inserted it in the PC. (at least that part was fixed) It never dawned on me that nothing would happen with the disk if the game was already installed. Isn't it normal for at least a window to open saying the game was already installed or would you like to overwrite it....or something. Good grief slapforehead

At least I have fixed the CAB file issue and the Autorun on this computer. But while I was looking around I noticed this program which I don't recall I installed but I am not sure. Is anyone familiar with this program called ProtectDisc ? Could this have been preventing the Autorun feature for security reasons? I haven't uninstalled it in case it is something I may want.

BTW....the name of the game was Secrets of Atlantis: The Sacred Legacy and thank you all for helping me out with you suggestions and opinions. They are most appreciated.

Re: Strange CAB files [Re: GreyFuss] #880602
04/13/13 01:34 PM
04/13/13 01:34 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Seems it might be something left over from a copy protected disk.

Bleeping Computer What is ProtectDisk

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Strange CAB files [Re: Draclvr] #880606
04/13/13 01:48 PM
04/13/13 01:48 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Originally Posted By: Draclvr
Seems it might be something left over from a copy protected disk.

Bleeping Computer What is ProtectDisk

Thanks Tomato Lady
That says a lot. Since it looks to be related to GmbH I am assuming that you are right and that it may have been installed by a game made in Germany. I think I will uninstall it and see if anything happens.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Kaki's Sister), 301 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users