GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror #88098
04/17/02 08:30 PM
04/17/02 08:30 PM
Body in California/Heart in Ha...
syd Offline OP
Adept Boomer
syd  Offline OP
Adept Boomer

Body in California/Heart in Ha...
Broken Sword: The Smoking Mirror
1997 - Revolution Software/Virgin Games
3rd Person point and click cartoon adventure
W95/W98

I remember clearly when I first saw this game. It was during lunch back in 1997 and I was at my favorite lunchtime hangout - Computer City. I had already looked over the selection in the adventure isle and couldn't see anything new from the day before, so I meandered over to where they put the misc. games. There I saw this dark brown box with a guy raising a knife ready to stab some poor soul tied down. Thankfully I picked it up anyway or I'd have never known that this was the sequal to Circle of Blood (as it's known in the states)/Shadows of the Templars everywhere else. Well, as soon as I read George and Nico's names I hightailed it up to the checkout counter and bought it. Took it home, popped it into the rom drive and got lost again with George and Nico [sigh]

George is once again in Paris (sure wish I had his money) and he has found Nico who has somehow gotten her hands on an ancient mayan stone. So before George even has time to have lunch they set off to a Professor Oubier's house (he is the resident expert on all things Mayan). Of course the minute the door is opened all heck breaks loose. Nico finds herself kidnapped by some big uglies and George gets himself tied to a chair, in a firey room and to make matters worse there is this big, ugly poisonious spider ready to pounce if he moves. So your first job is to escape the burning house. Then you need to find and rescue Nico and in the process save the world from an ancient Mayan curse. Oh and you meet up with Duane and Pearl again <g>

The interface is almost identical to the first game - they made the conversation trees a bit easier this time around. I didn't find myself stuck in a loop trying to get something from a character (anyone remember the red ball???) like I did in the first game. Inventory control is the same as is the map feature - if you've been there - you click and whoosh there you are.

The best feature in the game IMHO was the fact that you got to play both characters ala GK2. I so enjoyed that and wish more games implimented that feature.

I spent a good two to three weeks totally absorbed by this little gem and am looking forward to the next installment [keeping fingers and toes crossed here that there will be a next installment without ruining it with action]

A very definite thumbs up

Dark Side : Risen
Light Side:

I can only please one person a day. Today isn't your day. Tomorrow's not looking good either.
Re: Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror #88099
04/18/02 07:42 AM
04/18/02 07:42 AM
gatorlaw Offline
Adept Boomer
gatorlaw  Offline
Adept Boomer

What - we didn't have a review on this great game! eek

Well thank you - Syd for rectifying that omission. Whew.

Sydders what can I say - Another great review smile More importantly - you review those games that gamers just can't miss.

I love the whole circle of blood series. I am hoping that the newest game coming out - doesn't mess with the characters too badly.

Laura

Re: Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror #88100
04/18/02 02:42 PM
04/18/02 02:42 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi Syd.

Enjoyed your review, thanks, and I'm with you re Broken Sword III too laugh

Really, really looking forward to it and really, really hoping that action hasn't taken over from adventure TOO much eek

Cheers.

Mad wave

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror #88101
04/20/02 03:04 AM
04/20/02 03:04 AM
Northern New Jersey, USA
kat165 Offline
Addicted Boomer
kat165  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Northern New Jersey, USA
wave Hey, Syd, another great review. And I agree with Gator, you're going with the classics. One of things I was impressed with in BS 2 was the opening scene. Really starts off with a bang and makes you jump right in. I was even happy to see Pearl and Duane again (think he's really with the FBI?). And what about that smooth police chief? The whole scene in his apartment was hilarious. I also really liked the scene with the old woman and the chess piece and her gardener and his hose!!

Can't wait for #3. This is really a good series, right up there with Gabe and Grace. What does George do for a living anyway that he can travel like this? And here's something I've always wondered: why is this series called Broken Sword? I haven't seen a sword yet. laugh

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 338 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users