GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon on Windows 7 #881225
04/15/13 10:40 PM
04/15/13 10:40 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
What do you know, not a request for help!

I just installed this game, even though it's my least favorite of the Dracula games (had to put that in there - really the worst depiction of Dracula), and found that the cut scenes flickered. Annoying. At any rate, I found a solution here.

If you don't want to follow the link, the fix is simple. You just locate the Microids file, double click on the Config file in Dracula 3 to bring it up in Notepad, then change the line that mentions fullscreen to read zero instead of 1, so it would be: bFullScreen=0 (And save, of course.)

It's not the best solution in the world, it puts the game in a window, a decent sized window but off to the left of center on my wide-screen monitor. I may end up skipping the cut scenes to play it in full screen mode (changing that line back), but I didn't notice this under the Windows 7 and Games thread so I thought you might like to know, Draclvr.

Gil.

"Best not to think about it. I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought."
Re: Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon on Windows 7 [Re: traveler] #881230
04/15/13 11:14 PM
04/15/13 11:14 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I'm so excited to find this out, Gil! This is a similar fix that we had to use to play Scratches. For some odd reason, it isn't necessary for Scratches in Windows 8.

I have to agree that Dracula 3 is the worst depiction of Dracula EVER!

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon on Windows 7 [Re: Draclvr] #881235
04/16/13 12:03 AM
04/16/13 12:03 AM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
Talk to me! This Dracula in 3 looks as if Elliot Ness should be after him. He's a lowlife thug, not Evil Incarnate. Resurrection and Sanctuary's Dracula was a really good one. (Aside from the plastic hair. grin) But when his face filled the screen, you knew you were up against a monster.

Brrrr!

Gil.

"Best not to think about it. I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought."
Re: Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon on Windows 7 [Re: traveler] #881286
04/16/13 09:05 AM
04/16/13 09:05 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I've updated the Windows 7 and Games thread.
See if you want any alterations to it.

Originally Posted By: Draclvr
I have to agree that Dracula 3 is the worst depiction of Dracula EVER!

And it made no sense. If he was able to
Click to reveal..
fix the face of that woman so she was beautiful again, you'd think he could do something about his own face.

Re: Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon on Windows 7 [Re: traveler] #881381
04/16/13 02:42 PM
04/16/13 02:42 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Uncle Reg Offline
Settled Boomer
Uncle Reg  Offline
Settled Boomer

Virginia Beach, VA
This is not a Windows 7 problem. This same problem has existed for years. It is a conflict with a lot of Kheops games and newer Nvidia drivers.

Some of the games plagued with this problem in addition to Dracula 3 include:

Nostradamus
Secrets of Da Vinci
Cleopatra A Queens Destiny
Destination Treasure Island
Return To Mysterious Island 2: Mina's Fate
Safecracker (the newer 2006 version)

and I'm probably forgetting some others.

In the above games, this problem affected the entire game, not just cut scenes.

Last edited by Uncle Reg; 04/16/13 02:58 PM.
Re: Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon on Windows 7 [Re: traveler] #881405
04/16/13 04:20 PM
04/16/13 04:20 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Uncle Reg
This is not a Windows 7 problem. This same problem has existed for years. It is a conflict with a lot of Kheops games and newer Nvidia drivers.

It's still a problem that people are apt to run into with a new Windows 7 computer, Uncle Reg. So it's useful to include in the thread. The only question is whether we should include the same recommendation for all those other Kheops games as well. I think we should test them first.

Re: Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon on Windows 7 [Re: traveler] #881438
04/16/13 05:27 PM
04/16/13 05:27 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
If I hadn't gotten so mad at Nostradamus that I sailed it out the window after many frustrating attempts to fix it, I'd try this solution on it, Uncle Reg. That entire game was a mess of flickering.

When I played Path of the Dragon on XP, I did not have a problem with flicker. The game played flawlessly. The problem only showed up when I wanted to play in Win 7 and it only showed up in cut scenes.

Gil.

Re: Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon on Windows 7 [Re: traveler] #881449
04/16/13 06:05 PM
04/16/13 06:05 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Same here, but I was also playing on an old Nvidia video card on XP and when I tried to play on Windows 7, it was a much higher powered video card.

Re: Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon on Windows 7 [Re: traveler] #881484
04/16/13 10:42 PM
04/16/13 10:42 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
True about the better video card. My XP was an HP and it's probably a wonder it handled games at all.

Re: Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon on Windows 7 [Re: traveler] #881492
04/16/13 11:57 PM
04/16/13 11:57 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
My old XP was also an HP and the best thing that ever happened was the on-board video chip croaked! I put in an Nvidia GTX 7600 and was able to play all kinds of great games! That original hard drive is still chugging away in a low-end computer I built to house it.

Re: Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon on Windows 7 [Re: Jenny100] #881499
04/17/13 01:20 AM
04/17/13 01:20 AM
Virginia Beach, VA
Uncle Reg Offline
Settled Boomer
Uncle Reg  Offline
Settled Boomer

Virginia Beach, VA
Originally Posted By: Jenny100
It's still a problem that people are apt to run into with a new Windows 7 computer, Uncle Reg. So it's useful to include in the thread. The only question is whether we should include the same recommendation for all those other Kheops games as well. I think we should test them first.

I have tested all of those games that I listed and that "bFullScreen=0" workaround works for all of them, but it's not very enjoyable to play them like that.

This is a fairly well documented problem. Here's a link to an old thread: Return to Mysterious Island 2: graphics flickering all over the place
In that thread, you will find links to several other earlier GameBoomer threads on the subject. If you Google kheops nvidia , you will get hits to threads on the Nvidia forums, Big Fish forums and Just Adventure forum.

Originally Posted By: traveler
If I hadn't gotten so mad at Nostradamus that I sailed it out the window after many frustrating attempts to fix it, I'd try this solution on it, Uncle Reg. That entire game was a mess of flickering.

When I played Path of the Dragon on XP, I did not have a problem with flicker. The game played flawlessly. The problem only showed up when I wanted to play in Win 7 and it only showed up in cut scenes.

I re-installed Dracula 3 just to see, and the flickering is there all of the time, not just in the cut scenes. It's not the same constant flickering that you see in that opening cut scene, it only shows up when you're panning with the mouse, causing flickering distortions and double images. As soon as you stop the mouse, it quits and the screen looks normal. Go back to full screen mode and start a new game. When the cut scene ends, center your wiew on the train car, and pan your mouse back and forth from left to right repeatedly over the middle third of the screen, and you should see it. It might not be as pronounced as some of the other games, but it's still there. The speed and distance of the panning movement affects the degree of flickering.

Re: Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon on Windows 7 [Re: traveler] #881500
04/17/13 01:21 AM
04/17/13 01:21 AM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
Who needs ecollege? Next time, I'll get a Draclvr computer. grin

Gil.

Re: Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon on Windows 7 [Re: Uncle Reg] #881556
04/17/13 08:38 AM
04/17/13 08:38 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I have tested all of those games that I listed and that "bFullScreen=0" workaround works for all of them, but it's not very enjoyable to play them like that.

This is a fairly well documented problem. Here's a link to an old thread: Return to Mysterious Island 2: graphics flickering all over the place
In that thread, you will find links to several other earlier GameBoomer threads on the subject. If you Google kheops nvidia , you will get hits to threads on the Nvidia forums, Big Fish forums and Just Adventure forum.

Thanks, Uncle Reg. I just don't remember this, maybe because my XP computer has an ATI card and I didn't encounter the problem.

I re-installed Dracula 3 just to see, and the flickering is there all of the time, not just in the cut scenes. It's not the same constant flickering that you see in that opening cut scene, it only shows up when you're panning with the mouse, causing flickering distortions and double images. As soon as you stop the mouse, it quits and the screen looks normal. Go back to full screen mode and start a new game. When the cut scene ends, center your wiew on the train car, and pan your mouse back and forth from left to right repeatedly over the middle third of the screen, and you should see it. It might not be as pronounced as some of the other games, but it's still there. The speed and distance of the panning movement affects the degree of flickering.

What's interesting is that I'm seeing the same thing on the GOG version of 7th Guest on a fairly new Win7 computer with an Nvidia card. When I click and the screen pans, I can see the screen flicker or redraw between the start and stop points of the pan. Now this could just be something to do with whatever GOG is using for an emulator, but I wonder if it could be a general problem with other games that use a panning 2D interface as opposed to 3D (and not just Kheops). Have you seen the same thing in games like Scratches or Baron Wittard that use a panning 2D interface?

Also, do you see any difference playing on a widescreen monitor as opposed to a full screen monitor? If the games were originally 4:3 aspect ratio, maybe putting them in a widescreen aspect ratio puts extra work on the video card and slows down redrawing of the screen. Did you have a full screen monitor back when you first noticed the problem?

Re: Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon on Windows 7 [Re: Jenny100] #881660
04/17/13 05:55 PM
04/17/13 05:55 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Uncle Reg Offline
Settled Boomer
Uncle Reg  Offline
Settled Boomer

Virginia Beach, VA

What's interesting is that I'm seeing the same thing on the GOG version of 7th Guest on a fairly new Win7 computer with an Nvidia card. When I click and the screen pans, I can see the screen flicker or redraw between the start and stop points of the pan. Now this could just be something to do with whatever GOG is using for an emulator, but I wonder if it could be a general problem with other games that use a panning 2D interface as opposed to 3D (and not just Kheops). Have you seen the same thing in games like Scratches or Baron Wittard that use a panning 2D interface?

I went through my installed games, and I have a ton of panning games in addition to the aforementioned Scratches (I have the Director's Cut) and Baron Wittard:

Three Frogwares Sherlock games, Mystery of The Mummy, SH vs Arsene Lupin, and Testament of SH.

Four Myst games, Exile, Revelation, Complete Uru Chronicles, and GOG's RealMyst.

Microids Amerzone and Post Mortem.

From various other developers, Secrets Of Atlantis, Darkness Within, Outcry and The Omega Stone.

I also recently played GOG's Journeyman Project 3, although I no longer have it installed.

All of these games work with no problems.

In addition, I also have four other Kheops games that do work OK, Egyptian Prophecy, Crystal Key 2, Echo and the first Return to Mysterious Island, although Egyptian Prophecy and Crystal Key 2 both have patches that specifically address problems with Nvidia cards.

Also, do you see any difference playing on a widescreen monitor as opposed to a full screen monitor? If the games were originally 4:3 aspect ratio, maybe putting them in a widescreen aspect ratio puts extra work on the video card and slows down redrawing of the screen. Did you have a full screen monitor back when you first noticed the problem?

I did not notice this problem until I got my new ecollegepc computer 2 years ago last March. It has a wide screen monitor and a GTS 450 Nvidia card. My old XP computer had a 4:3 monitor, but it also had an old 6200 Nvidia card that ran perfectly on old drivers that predated this problem. As far as putting extra work on the video card, that seems extremely far-fetched. This GTS 450 has 1G of memory. That old 6200 only had 256M, and it played all 6 of those Kheops games that I mentioned in my first post perfectly. A few months back that old HP XP computer finally died after over 10 years, and I bought an old refurbished Dell XP for $100. It has an ATI card with only 128M and it also plays all of those Kheops games perfectly, so it's really hard to believe that this GTS 450 is being overworked in any way by these old games, especially when it plays all other games, even the latest ones, without even the slightest hiccup. Also, a lot of those older games from other developers that I listed above were originally 4:3, and none of them have any problems.

Re: Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon on Windows 7 [Re: Uncle Reg] #881691
04/17/13 08:32 PM
04/17/13 08:32 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I did not notice this problem until I got my new ecollegepc computer 2 years ago last March. It has a wide screen monitor and a GTS 450 Nvidia card. My old XP computer had a 4:3 monitor, but it also had an old 6200 Nvidia card that ran perfectly on old drivers that predated this problem.

Did you try running the game on the new computer using the old monitor? or on the old computer with the new monitor? That would tell you if there was a problem with converting the games to widescreen and higher resolutions. Otherwise comparing the performance of an old card on a low resolution monitor with the performance of a new card on a high resolution monitor while also requiring a change in aspect ratio isn't an equal comparison. But I wouldn't be too surprised if the old card still performed better on the new monitor, given the reputation of the newer Nvidia drivers.

Quote:
As far as putting extra work on the video card, that seems extremely far-fetched. This GTS 450 has 1G of memory. That old 6200 only had 256M, and it played all 6 of those Kheops games that I mentioned in my first post perfectly.

The memory is not the issue. Nor is the greater processing power of the new card, which is at least as important as the memory. Neither one can make up for drivers that are poorly optimized for a certain game engine. Displaying a 3D game in a higher resolution or different aspect ratio is relatively simple for a powerful card. But recalculating the entire screen for a 2D game in a different aspect ratio can be more difficult unless the drivers are written to cope with that sort of thing efficiently. There is most likely a problem with the Nvidia drivers because the supposedly equivalent ATI cards apparently do not have the problem.

Quote:
A few months back that old HP XP computer finally died after over 10 years, and I bought an old refurbished Dell XP for $100. It has an ATI card with only 128M and it also plays all of those Kheops games perfectly, so it's really hard to believe that this GTS 450 is being overworked in any way by these old games, especially when it plays all other games, even the latest ones, without even the slightest hiccup.

If the drivers are inefficient, the card can easily be "overworked." It has nothing to do with the specs of the card. An $800 card with specs through the roof will perform poorly if the drivers have poor compatibility. If the "solution" to the jerky or flickering graphics is to play in a window, then the video card isn't able to keep up with displaying the game smoothly in full screen.

Quote:
Also, a lot of those older games from other developers that I listed above were originally 4:3, and none of them have any problems.

...and doubtlessly used lower resolutions and often different game engines. Kheops no doubt used higher resolutions in their later games and may have tweaked their game engine too, adding visual effects and animations. Calculating how to display a 640x480 or 800x600 resolution game with few or no animations across a widescreen monitor is not going to use as much video processing power as calculating how to display a higher resolution across the same monitor. The difference may be the reason it's the newer games that show the flickering problem.

Re: Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon on Windows 7 [Re: Jenny100] #881729
04/18/13 12:46 AM
04/18/13 12:46 AM
Virginia Beach, VA
Uncle Reg Offline
Settled Boomer
Uncle Reg  Offline
Settled Boomer

Virginia Beach, VA
Did you try running the game on the new computer using the old monitor? or on the old computer with the new monitor? That would tell you if there was a problem with converting the games to widescreen and higher resolutions. Otherwise comparing the performance of an old card on a low resolution monitor with the performance of a new card on a high resolution monitor while also requiring a change in aspect ratio isn't an equal comparison. But I wouldn't be too surprised if the old card still performed better on the new monitor, given the reputation of the newer Nvidia drivers.

I can't use the old 4:3 monitor on the new computer. The 4:3 monitor only has a VGA input, and the GTS450 in the new computer doesn't have a VGA output, only DVI. I could hook the old computer up to the widescreen monitor, but that's not going to prove anything, because the "old computer" is now the old refurbished Dell with the ATI video card, and this problem has never been reported to occur on non-Nvidia cards. The old computer with the 6200 Nvidia card is sitting on the floor in the junk room, having died of old age.

This is undoubtedly a driver problem. Back when this problem first surfaced, they even tracked down the driver version where the problem first started, and people were able to fix the problem by reverting to an old driver that predated the problem. This was even listed as the recommended solution on one of the Big Fish forums. If you go back to those old threads that I linked to earlier, you might remember that you were successful in tracking down an old driver for me; but, sad to say, it was too old to work with the GTS450.

Re: Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon on Windows 7 [Re: Uncle Reg] #881803
04/18/13 08:45 AM
04/18/13 08:45 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I can't use the old 4:3 monitor on the new computer. The 4:3 monitor only has a VGA input, and the GTS450 in the new computer doesn't have a VGA output, only DVI.

I thought most video cards came with a DVI-to-VGA adapter. Mine always have. Not that I expect you to go out and buy one if you weren't supplied with one along with the computer. Maybe they don't always supply them with newer cards.

Quote:
The old computer with the 6200 Nvidia card is sitting on the floor in the junk room, having died of old age.

Oh well. So much for that test.

Quote:
This is undoubtedly a driver problem. Back when this problem first surfaced, they even tracked down the driver version where the problem first started, and people were able to fix the problem by reverting to an old driver that predated the problem. This was even listed as the recommended solution on one of the Big Fish forums. If you go back to those old threads that I linked to earlier, you might remember that you were successful in tracking down an old driver for me; but, sad to say, it was too old to work with the GTS450.

Yup. That's the problem with going back to older drivers from before the card was made. There IS a way to force an install of drivers that don't recognize a particular card by modifying the inf file of the drivers, but there's no guarantee those drivers would work properly with the much newer card. This is often done to adapt Nvidia drivers for laptops (***example***). However if the compatible drivers were for 32-bit Windows and you're currently using 64-bit, it might not work so well.

Re: Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon on Windows 7 [Re: Jenny100] #882204
04/20/13 01:27 AM
04/20/13 01:27 AM
Virginia Beach, VA
Uncle Reg Offline
Settled Boomer
Uncle Reg  Offline
Settled Boomer

Virginia Beach, VA
I thought most video cards came with a DVI-to-VGA adapter. Mine always have. Not that I expect you to go out and buy one if you weren't supplied with one along with the computer. Maybe they don't always supply them with newer cards.

You reminded me of a little bag of goodies that was left over after I got this computer hooked up two years ago; and, sure enough, there was a DVI-to-VGA adapter in there. I hooked up the 4:3 monitor to the GTS450, but the flickering was still there, exactly like on the widescreen monitor.

Yup. That's the problem with going back to older drivers from before the card was made. There IS a way to force an install of drivers that don't recognize a particular card by modifying the inf file of the drivers, but there's no guarantee those drivers would work properly with the much newer card. This is often done to adapt Nvidia drivers for laptops (***example***). However if the compatible drivers were for 32-bit Windows and you're currently using 64-bit, it might not work so well.

If I had known about that inf file trick 2 years ago when I was trying to find a solution to this problem, I might have tried it (the drivers that you found for me were listed as being Win7 64 bit compatible). But now, I have fixed the problem with the old refurbished Dell, which is running all 6 of those Kheops games perfectly. Best $100 I've spent in a long time. In addition to the Kheops games, I've got a handful of other old games working on it that wouldn't work on the Win7 computer. I just got finished playing Mystery Of The Druids, and I've also got running the DVD version of Traitor's Gate, and the DVD version of Dark Side Of The Moon, which up until 2 years ago wouldn't even work on XP, until Greyfuss found somebody who had got it to work. I've had that game for so long that I can't even remember where or when I bought it, and I've never played it.

I didn't really join in on this thread to try to find a solution to this problem. I only chimed in with my two cents worth to clear up an apparent misconception that this was a Windows 7 problem, although, I agree with you that anybody that's using an Nvidia card on Windows 7 is probably going to be stuck with drivers that are going to cause this problem, and the only known way to get around the problem is the "bFullScreen=0" workaround.

Re: Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon on Windows 7 [Re: traveler] #882301
04/20/13 11:55 AM
04/20/13 11:55 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
You reminded me of a little bag of goodies that was left over after I got this computer hooked up two years ago; and, sure enough, there was a DVI-to-VGA adapter in there. I hooked up the 4:3 monitor to the GTS450, but the flickering was still there, exactly like on the widescreen monitor.

So it's not a widescreen issue at all. Good to know.

Quote:
If I had known about that inf file trick 2 years ago when I was trying to find a solution to this problem, I might have tried it (the drivers that you found for me were listed as being Win7 64 bit compatible).

It's an interesting trick for people who don't mind tinkering with inf files. It's great for drivers that are compatible but not "officially" supported. If you ever try editing the inf file to install older drivers in order to play a game, let us know how it works.

Quote:
But now, I have fixed the problem with the old refurbished Dell, which is running all 6 of those Kheops games perfectly. Best $100 I've spent in a long time.

Sometimes using an old computer is the easiest.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (oldbroad, Kaki's Sister), 239 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users