GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Technical Mouse-Click by Mouse-Click Walk-thrus #886052
05/07/13 01:28 AM
05/07/13 01:28 AM
San Francisco, Czl
A
Antoinetta Offline OP
Shy Boomer
Antoinetta  Offline OP
Shy Boomer
A

San Francisco, Czl
After following the advice on the Windows 7 thread, I was able to successfully install and play the first two Draculas, and Messenger.

However, when I attempted to install Mummy Tomb of the Pharaoh, I was not so lucky. Going to the same file on the disk that worked for the other games, I elicited a window that contained links to various file repair sites.

I went to one of these called REGSERVO, and it did a scan and came up with something approaching 2000 errors. (This I don't understand because the weekly file scan my machine does indicates I have zero errors.)

Anyway, when I clicked on the "Fix Errors" button, instead of fixing anything, I got a window asking me to register. I did this. I then got a window asking me to subscribe to some kind of updates for $10.00 Since the site was billed as free, I didn't think I needed to do this, but I found no way to get back to the page with the "Fix Errors" button or otherwise commence this activity.

Being at a dead end, I gave up, deciding to come here to Gameboomers, to look for advice. As soon as I returned to my desktop, I noticed that REGSERVO had placed an ikon there. When I went on-line to come here, I found that my Google homepage had been replaced by the Ask homepage. This probably has no practical effect, but totally unanticipated stuff like this seems to be the norm whenever I try to download stuff or work with "techie" things on the machine. Often I have downloaded things only to have them vanish somewhere in the bowels of my machine. I am told at the end that the download has been successful, the window disappears and I am at my desktop, but nothing has changed, and I have no way to activate whatever it was I downloaded (This is a primary reason I won't buy games that are only available by download; no disk, no game), and on two occasions I have done some serious damage to my machine.

So what I am asking is there anyplace I can get detailed Mouse-click by Mouse-click walk-thrus for these kind of issues? The fatal problems I have with virtually all instructions is that they tell me WHAT I need to do, but they don't tell me HOW to do it.

Antoinetta

Re: Technical Mouse-Click by Mouse-Click Walk-thrus [Re: Antoinetta] #886062
05/07/13 03:51 AM
05/07/13 03:51 AM
Michigan
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
The only thing I know to do is to go to "Start",then"Search", and type in the file name.It will find anything close and show where it is.

Re: Technical Mouse-Click by Mouse-Click Walk-thrus [Re: Antoinetta] #886091
05/07/13 07:25 AM
05/07/13 07:25 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Antoinetta
After following the advice on the Windows 7 thread, I was able to successfully install and play the first two Draculas, and Messenger.

Mummy: Tomb of the Pharoah is 5 years older than the Draculas, and uses an early version of QuickTime 2. It almost certainly uses 16-bit code, which means it won't work on a 64-bit version of Windows outside of an emulator (VirtualPC with Windows 95/98 installed or DOSBox with Windows 3.1 installed). The file repair links would have been for programs that were made for Windows 95. Even if you got the 2001 reissue version of Mummy, the links would have been for a computer with a version of Windows from 12 years ago. If you have the original 1996 version, the links would have been for a computer from 17 years ago.

Quote:
However, when I attempted to install Mummy Tomb of the Pharaoh, I was not so lucky. Going to the same file on the disk that worked for the other games, I elicited a window that contained links to various file repair sites.
I went to one of these called REGSERVO, and it did a scan and came up with something approaching 2000 errors. (This I don't understand because the weekly file scan my machine does indicates I have zero errors.)

This is what I consider a type of malware. It claims you have all these errors, when in fact there are none. Regservo may have been a legitimate registry cleaner at the time the game was released (1996 or possibly 2001), but it clearly isn't any more. If you do a Google search for Regservo, you'll see what I mean.

Quote:
Anyway, when I clicked on the "Fix Errors" button, instead of fixing anything, I got a window asking me to register.

Yes they want your money. There's nothing wrong with your computer -- at least there wasn't before you ran Regservo. If you need a registry cleaner, Ccleaner is free.

If you have a System Restore Point from not long before you installed Regservo, you might want to go back to it.

Quote:
Being at a dead end, I gave up, deciding to come here to Gameboomers, to look for advice. As soon as I returned to my desktop, I noticed that REGSERVO had placed an ikon there. When I went on-line to come here, I found that my Google homepage had been replaced by the Ask homepage. This probably has no practical effect, but totally unanticipated stuff like this seems to be the norm whenever I try to download stuff or work with "techie" things on the machine.

Generally it's a bad idea to try to access software from websites provided by 17-year-old game discs (or even 12-year-old game discs). The original site is probably not there anymore and who knows what sort of company has taken over their website. A game disc should include everything you need to play the game -- assuming it's playable on your version of Windows.

Quote:
Often I have downloaded things only to have them vanish somewhere in the bowels of my machine.

If you didn't change the download location, your downloads will be in your Downloads folder. Click your Start button, then Computer. You should see where to click to find your downloads folder. Here's a picture.
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/6479/win7librariesdownloads.png

Quote:
So what I am asking is there anyplace I can get detailed Mouse-click by Mouse-click walk-thrus for these kind of issues?

No. We had something pretty close with Inferno's XP website.

Quote:
The fatal problems I have with virtually all instructions is that they tell me WHAT I need to do, but they don't tell me HOW to do it.

You'll have to ask for more detailed instructions on a per game basis in a forum like this one.

Re: Technical Mouse-Click by Mouse-Click Walk-thrus [Re: Antoinetta] #886092
05/07/13 07:32 AM
05/07/13 07:32 AM
M
mj2c Offline
Addicted Boomer
mj2c  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

Rule of thumb, never ever ever ever use sites like this. If your AV is saying you have no problem but a site is telling you you have hundreds or thousands then you can be virtually 100% certain money will be involved.

Last edited by mj2c; 05/08/13 12:52 PM.
Re: Technical Mouse-Click by Mouse-Click Walk-thrus [Re: Jenny100] #886350
05/08/13 02:43 PM
05/08/13 02:43 PM
San Francisco, Czl
A
Antoinetta Offline OP
Shy Boomer
Antoinetta  Offline OP
Shy Boomer
A

San Francisco, Czl
Jenny, thanx for the info. Since the original window stating my game wouldn't run on the two Draculas was identical to the one that came up on Mummy, I figured that it was the same issue, and what worked for one would also work for the other.

Also, I didn't realize that the repair site links were activated by the disk itself; there were something like half a dozen sites linked to, and I thought they were all contemporary stuff.

I will take everyone's advice and delete all these bogus repair sites from my machine

Thanx again, Antoinetta

Re: Technical Mouse-Click by Mouse-Click Walk-thrus [Re: Antoinetta] #886357
05/08/13 03:21 PM
05/08/13 03:21 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Antoinetta
Also, I didn't realize that the repair site links were activated by the disk itself; there were something like half a dozen sites linked to, and I thought they were all contemporary stuff.

Now I'm not sure I understood what you meant.
I thought you meant the game gave you a list of repair sites when it failed to open.

Re: Technical Mouse-Click by Mouse-Click Walk-thrus [Re: Antoinetta] #886362
05/08/13 03:37 PM
05/08/13 03:37 PM
M
mj2c Offline
Addicted Boomer
mj2c  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

No and repair sites will not come from or be activated by a game disk.

Re: Technical Mouse-Click by Mouse-Click Walk-thrus [Re: Antoinetta] #886384
05/08/13 05:19 PM
05/08/13 05:19 PM
Denmark, Europe
Karsten Offline
Addicted Boomer
Karsten  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Denmark, Europe
As for changing your start page in windows explorer here's how you might do it. You'll need to go your google home page first, though.

Quote:
Your home page is the page that appears every time you open Internet Explorer. Choose a page that you want to view frequently, or one that you can customize to get quick access to all the information you want, such as the msn.com home page.

1. Go to the page you want to appear when you start Internet Explorer.

2.On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

3.Click the General tab.

4.Under Home page, click Use Current.

This info is taken from here.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/docum...e.mspx?mfr=true

To get rid of Regservo, you can download
C Cleaner or you can go back to a restore point before you downloaded Regservo - as Jenny suggests.

As for downloads, all of my downloads automatically go to My Downloads folder. However you can change where the downloads go, click in the arrow next to the file you want to download and choose a location.

I always choose to have my downloaded files in the desktop; I know where they'll be wink - I can quickly find them as well.

Adventure gaming is fun smile

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Orion, OrleansBelle, soot, connie), 261 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users