GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Delaware St. John The Curse of Midnight Manor #88619
07/06/05 01:45 PM
07/06/05 01:45 PM
Chehalis, Washington
tinagoss Offline OP
Settled Boomer
tinagoss  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Chehalis, Washington
I just finished the new release Delaware St. John, The Curse of Midnight Manor. Beginning this game I set the scene . . . lights out, headphones on and cranked up. It started out as I expected and was a nice spooky treat. The premise is very intriguing with Delaware being a clairevoyant and being aided by a parasychologist. The game progressed very quickly and the story unveiled nicely. I quickly reached the end of story 1 and it transitioned nicely into story 2. I was disappointed though at how short the game was, the lack of inventory item puzzles and not as many clairevoyant sessions and scenes by Delaware.

The second half of the game was about finding the source of the evil that inflicted itself on the first stories victims. There was not much character development, and the explanation of how the evil started was a little sketchy.

The ending quickly came and left me wanting more, but also wondering why the sudden ending and no real solution as to the evil of Midnight Manor.

Considering this to be a one-man operation and I'm sure all the funding, marketing, development, etc. has been an uphill battle for him, I think this game rates about 3.5 BAAGS out of 5. I think the story idea and graphics are great as well as the eerie aspect of it all. (I caught myself looking at "shadows" out of the corner of my eye all evening and taking off my earphones because I thought I "heard something"). As gamers, we all know a good, scary ghost story are hard to come by anymore and I think Big Time Games should be very proud of a nice product.

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." Lao Tzu
Re: Delaware St. John The Curse of Midnight Manor #88620
07/06/05 04:14 PM
07/06/05 04:14 PM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Hey tinagoss --

Thanks for this most timely review! I'm still waiting for this one to arrive in the mail, and I was dying to know more about it.

What did you think of Delaware as a character? Was it easy to empathize with him? Did you admire him? Is he a traditional hero-type?

Re: Delaware St. John The Curse of Midnight Manor #88621
07/06/05 04:53 PM
07/06/05 04:53 PM
Chehalis, Washington
tinagoss Offline OP
Settled Boomer
tinagoss  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Chehalis, Washington
Unfortunately, I don't think they developed him as a character very much. I would put him in the category of Nancy Drew, I think. Very aloof and cracking jokes every once in a while. The game opened making you think his gift is a curse, but during the game he's very nonchalant about it. I wouldn't say I admire him like a character like Kate Walker, but he does try to help these souls and that's his main goal.

I'll be interested in seeing what you think. That was my first attempt at a review - terribly green at it as you can tell. It's been kind of fun giving hints on the forums instead of being the one who's stuck. : )

Thanks!
Tina

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." Lao Tzu
Re: Delaware St. John The Curse of Midnight Manor #88622
07/06/05 07:52 PM
07/06/05 07:52 PM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

It was a terrific first attempt! Please write more reviews. happydance

Re: Delaware St. John The Curse of Midnight Manor #88623
07/08/05 01:17 AM
07/08/05 01:17 AM
Los Angeles
S
socaliguy Offline
Junior Boomer
socaliguy  Offline
Junior Boomer
S

Los Angeles
I agree with Tina..... I enjoyed the game for the most part. For a starter project I think they did a pretty good job. Im pretty new to the forum thing but llewton seems pretty bitter. Though I suppose that what forums are for. If I had to rate it on a scale to 5... I would probably give it a 3.5.... It was fun... the one puzzle annoyed me but I finally figured it out.. I liked the story and the sound and music was good.

Re: Delaware St. John The Curse of Midnight Manor #88624
07/10/05 03:43 PM
07/10/05 03:43 PM
qadventuregames Offline
Settled Boomer
qadventuregames  Offline
Settled Boomer

I was disappointed in the game. The ghostly characters' stories were not developed and you didn't care whether their spirits were released or not.

If you played Inherent Evil The Haunted Hotel, you quickly realized that you were in a reused floor plan of the "Haunted Hotel" instead of a new floor plan of "Midnight Manor". This further shortened an already short game, cause you had no need to learn your way around the "Manor".

I thought Delaware and Kelly were likeable characters, and the game engine was fine. If he works on character development and more game puzzles I think the next "Volume" could be much better. I have hope that he will, and would purchase the next "Volume".

I could only give it a 2.5 out of 5. By the way, check out Inherent Evil a much better game, at least in my opinion.

"Q"

You do not get Harmony, if you all sing the same note.
Re: Delaware St. John The Curse of Midnight Manor #88625
07/10/05 04:33 PM
07/10/05 04:33 PM
Texas
nickie Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
nickie  Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
Adept Boomer

Texas
Nice job, Tina! Hope you do continue to write, and a great first effort.

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Re: Delaware St. John The Curse of Midnight Manor #88626
09/08/05 04:55 PM
09/08/05 04:55 PM
England
tigger Offline
Graduate Boomer
tigger  Offline
Graduate Boomer

England
For an indie, a super game! One thing which really grabbed me was the voice acting. Spot on for each of the characters. You feel there is so much more to be developed in future games, like opening a box of chocolates, theres just Got to be another layer underneath!!!

A bounce a day keeps the doctor away!!
Playing Sims2, Sherlock, Phantom of Venice
Reading Storm Breaking
Re: Delaware St. John The Curse of Midnight Manor #88627
12/05/05 10:06 AM
12/05/05 10:06 AM
Illinois
cbrogan Offline
Settled Boomer
cbrogan  Offline
Settled Boomer

Illinois
I really enjoyed the game. Some times it is nice to have something short and enjoyable to play. (Although the maze was enough to make one dizzy.) I get frustrated on most timed sequences, but these were pretty forgiving and quite attainable. I am looking forward to Volume II - has anyone played it yet?

Re: Delaware St. John The Curse of Midnight Manor #88628
12/05/05 10:15 AM
12/05/05 10:15 AM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Hey cbrogan -- I'm glad you enjoyed the first game in the series.

Volume 2: The Town with No Name will most likely be appearing in the mailboxes of those who preordered late this week (about December 8 or 9) or early next week.

Re: Delaware St. John The Curse of Midnight Manor #88629
02/21/06 05:58 PM
02/21/06 05:58 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Well, I just finished this wonderful little game--no one can say I'm not right on top of things lol

I had a wonderful time playing this and am now really looking forward to playing Vol 2--

thanks Big Time Games for a few hours of great entertainment!

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Delaware St. John The Curse of Midnight Manor #88630
02/21/06 06:50 PM
02/21/06 06:50 PM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
Vol 2 is even better than the first, looney, so you're going to have some scarifying fun! bravo

"Bleat, Watson -- unmitigated bleat!" ~ Sherlock Holmes
Re: Delaware St. John The Curse of Midnight Manor #88631
04/12/06 08:13 PM
04/12/06 08:13 PM
Rockford, Illinois
S
sierramindy Offline
Addicted Boomer
sierramindy  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Rockford, Illinois
I'm playing the game right now and I have a GameBoomers walkthrough by catsmom2. Having read these comments on the game I have mixed feelings about continuing it. I've recently started Story 2 after having a heck of a time using the doll on the ghosts in Story 1. I'd hear all those ghostly sounds but couldn't find the ghost, at least in time! Then came that moment when I settled down and emptied my brain and totally concentrated (maybe a zen moment?) on just looking for the ghosts, ignored sounds and everything else, no thinking this is too hard in another part of my brain, and I aced it. What a relief, what a high. Not too happy about reading there's a maze as that sounds like even a harder challenge!

To love is to be happy with!
Re: Delaware St. John The Curse of Midnight Manor #88632
04/12/06 10:00 PM
04/12/06 10:00 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Sierra, there is a maze, but there are clues to solve it--though I confess to using the walk through-

After someone explained the clues, I 'got' it!

Have fun wave

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Delaware St. John The Curse of Midnight Manor #88633
04/13/06 07:07 AM
04/13/06 07:07 AM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Sierra -- there's a trick to the maze (isn't there always?) but it doesn't involve timing the way the "doll" sequence does.

Your first instinct in the maze will probably be wrong. Analyze why the obvious thing isn't working and go from there.

(Hope that helps and doesn't hinder!)

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (oldbroad), 257 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users