GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Finished Ratchet & Clank #88719
11/05/03 05:06 PM
11/05/03 05:06 PM
Chalk River, Ontario, Canada
vik Offline OP
Settled Boomer
vik  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Hey all,

I know that platformers are not the most popular thing around here (except for Tomb Raider which has just been getting worse and worse as the series progresses), but this one is definitely worth playing.

First, this is a game for the Playstation 2. It is also now available as a Greatest Hits selection meaning it is available at a reasonable cost. It's not available for any other system.

This is a fast (but not too fast) and sometimes difficult (but not too difficult; after all, I finished it) and fun game involving Ratchet, a dog-like alien, and Clank, a tiny and amazingly-not-annoying robot. As Ratchet you set out to help Clank stop a interplanetary conspiracy forged by the evil Chairman Drek who wants to make a replacement world for his race by taking pieces from other worlds. You start by helping Clank to find the superhero Captain Qwark but eventually you end up being the one to save the day (I'll leave the storyline out of it, no plot spoilers). As you go from planet to planet, you pick up a variety of weapons and gadgets which help you progress through the game.

The weapons are some standard fare, such as blasters and bombs but there are a few neat ones. A morph ray which turns your enemies into chickens is kinda fun, as is the "glove of doom" which tosses out little robots which seek out and destroy nearby enemies. Each of these have only a certain amount of ammo which can be replenished by finding random ammo or by purchasing it.

The gadgets are things like the trespasser (which helps open locked doors after you solve a small light puzzle), the hologuise (which makes you look like a robot so that you can sneak past difficult guard-bots) and magnaboots (which let you walk along metal surfaces, even upside-down).

Weapons and gadgets are either bought (using bolts which are the common currency of the game) or earned (by reaching a certain point in the game or getting something for someone, occasionally from a different planet).

The gamuts you must run on each planet are, each in their own way, a challenge which is accomplished by using a few common elements and sometimes specific weapons and gadgets. They, of course, get progressively more difficult, leading to the eventual "final boss battle". Running and jumping are the standard with special jumps that you learn being the additional help for some of those hard-to-reach spots. As well, there are hidden gold bolts (which help you buy advanced "golden" versions of some weapons when you replay the game) as well as skill points for accomplishing certain mystery tasks. The voice acting is excellent and the cut-scene cinematics are fun.

Overall, one of the best platformers that I have played. Scorewise, I give it a 9 out of 10. As well, I eagerly await Ratchet & Clank 2 - Going Commando which is supposed to be out either late this year or early next year.

Now playing: Too bloody many (sigh)
Now reading: Year's Best Fantasy and Horror 9th edition (1995)
Re: Finished Ratchet & Clank #88720
11/06/03 06:01 PM
11/06/03 06:01 PM
Toronto, Canada
T
TooManyHours Offline
Settled Boomer
TooManyHours  Offline
Settled Boomer
T

Toronto, Canada
Vik, have you ever played Jak and Daxter for the PS/2 ? And if you have, how would you compare it to Ratchet and Clank ? (easier / harder, shorter / longer etc.)

Thanks...

fact is merely that which enough people believe, and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it
Re: Finished Ratchet & Clank #88721
11/06/03 07:08 PM
11/06/03 07:08 PM
vik Offline OP
Settled Boomer
vik  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

I have Jak & Daxter but I haven't played it yet. My 12 yr-old son, when asked which one he thinks is better, says "they're both great!", having not finished either of them (though he is frantically working on R & C now that I have finished it. I'm sure I'll get to it but I had been finishing Ratchet & Clank with Sly Cooper in sight (I only really play one platformer at a time). Jak will be after that.

There are a lot more neat things in this game (way too many to list them all) like getting little robots which follow you around to help with opponents or which you can direct to certain areas to help open doors. A lot of work went into this game as well as a lot of imagination and it definitely paid off.

Now playing: Too bloody many (sigh)
Now reading: Year's Best Fantasy and Horror 9th edition (1995)
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Orion), 264 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users