GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Scratches Review #88956
11/10/06 01:05 AM
11/10/06 01:05 AM
Central NJ
NJMysteryMan Offline
Shy Boomer
NJMysteryMan  Offline
Shy Boomer

Central NJ
I took the cowards way out LOL. Actually I enjoyed Scratches a lot and would recommend it. With my new PC, I actually dug out some old games I never finished for various reasons. I'm working on Post Mortem right now and having a great time, I didn't realize how great this game was. Hopefully I'll dust off some more classics soon. I'll keep you all posted!

"Do not allow evil into your heart, it will make a home there." - Hercule Poirot from "Death on the Nile."
Re: Scratches Review #88957
11/11/06 10:54 AM
11/11/06 10:54 AM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Isn't it fun to find something is way more fun than you remembered?

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Scratches Review #88958
11/12/06 02:43 PM
11/12/06 02:43 PM
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Reenie Offline
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Bruce, thanks for the review! I was lukewarm on this game, too, and wondered how others felts. Actually, I was looking forward to a big scare, and was delighted to be startled a few times. There were some areas of the house that frightened me when I had to explore them. But it is not a "monster" game in the same sense as Alien vs. Predator, and folks should not expect to be terrified by it.

Like you, I was put off by the linearity of play. I would investigate something, could not execute it (later learned because of the time issue), and then dismiss it as a possible branch of exploration. It took me a while to realize that I had to go BACK to things that had not worked before, in order to do these things when "it was time." I got bored with checking the phone just to see if it was time for more info to come from that source, and I got bored with going outside and walking all around the place to see if "it was time" to get into the other buildings or pick up some mail. Way too much senseless wandering around.

There were some pretty obscure things/actions to figure out. For instance, scratching on a small patch of wallpaper with a knife -- there are LOTS of walls to scratch on, how are you supposed to know you need to scratch it and where? This is a game where I had to resort to a WT several times in order to get unstuck, something that kind of spoils a game for me. Makes me feel like I cheated.

I enjoyed "Scratches" overall, though. It was clever, different, complex, and well done -- and it did NOT rely on any of the old game chiches such as 1) Mummies, 2) Druids, 3) Nazis, 4) Atlantis, 5) Aliens, 6) Secret Agents, 7) Robots, etc...... Definitely worth the price, given some of the less-than-stellar Adventure games out these days.

Re: Scratches Review #88959
01/19/07 04:33 PM
01/19/07 04:33 PM
R
Redhed Offline
Shy Boomer
Redhed  Offline
Shy Boomer
R

I love reading the reviews of games that I have played.

I just started playing adventure games in the past six months and Scratches is a favorite so far.

There were two or three parts of that game that really gave me a scare!

Re: Scratches Review [Re: Sierra Rat] #658886
10/04/10 05:19 PM
10/04/10 05:19 PM
Tel Aviv, Israel.
T
Tomer Offline
Settled Boomer
Tomer  Offline
Settled Boomer
T

Tel Aviv, Israel.
Does anyone here agree that "the last visit" is totally unnecessary and just ruined possible branching of theories?

There's definitely definitely definitely no logic to human behaviour.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 278 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users