GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage    
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#889469 - 05/23/13 05:17 PM The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
lanlynk Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Alaska
I happened to see this game on Steam. Released May 22, 2013. There's a 10% discount right now on Steam, making the new game $13.49, a "Promotional Price" good until May 28. It's an Action/RPG, along the lines of Diablo 3 and Torchlight. There's a Co-Op feature (multiplayer) that is in the midst of being patched for bugs, but the single player game is said to be working great.

You play as the son of the original Bram Stoker character in a fictional Steampunk-style world of 19th century Europe. Most of the game-play is in the open world rather than cramped dungeons. You're accompanied by a beautiful ghost-companion, Katarina, who fights along with you.

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing on Steam

Here are some Pre-Release game reviews:
Review at GamingNexus
Review at Gaming Euphoria
Review at Softpedia

Good grief, can I justify ANOTHER game purchase? yes

PS: Here's a link to the Forum, which is buzzing. lol
Forum on Steam

Edited by lanlynk (05/23/13 06:03 PM)

#889473 - 05/23/13 05:31 PM Re: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing [Re: lanlynk]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

Loc: In Missouri near St. Louis
Curses upon you, lanlynk! I think I will have to figure out a way to justify it for me too! Gaaaaa!

#889482 - 05/23/13 06:02 PM Re: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing [Re: Draclvr]
lanlynk Offline
Settled Boomer

It's a different theme for an RPG, which is a nice diversion. I've been watching the videos. Love the Steampunk look. Apparently in the beginning of Act 2, you get a Secret Lair for forging, enchanting, and storage.

There's suppose to be two more follow-up games coming out in 6 and 12 months.

#889493 - 05/23/13 06:36 PM Re: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing [Re: lanlynk]
looney4labs Offline
GB Reviewer Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: Alabama
I love steampunk! I may have to look into this one puppy

#889530 - 05/23/13 09:42 PM Re: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing [Re: looney4labs]
lanlynk Offline
Settled Boomer

Well guys, I wasn't trying to tempt anyone here! whistle LOL But the game does intrigue me. I enjoyed playing the Dracula adventure games, and though this isn't exactly like those, the theme is unique. Most RPGs are fantasy or space.

Anyway, I'm keeping an eye on the forum discussions over at Steam. I usually don't buy brand new games because there are always bugs to work out. It's just a fact and doesn't necessarily say anything about the quality of the game--unless the bugs don't get fixed in a timely manner.

In the case of this game, what I'm seeing is that most of the issues have to do with the multiplayer mode, not the single player. They've already come out with a patch today, and the devs are still working like crazy to help everyone and deal with the problems. I imagine there'll be another patch out in the next couple of days. In the meantime, I'll cool my heels and let the Gamer Scouts explore the terrain. smile

#889534 - 05/23/13 10:01 PM Re: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing [Re: lanlynk]
looney4labs Offline
GB Reviewer Moderator
Sonic Boomer

It's always good to hear that the developers are responding to the players. A little temptation now and again is good for us. It lets us exercise our willpower....or not! puppy

#889538 - 05/23/13 10:19 PM Re: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing [Re: lanlynk]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

I just upgraded my computer with a new motherboard, snazzy overclocked video card, processor and RAM. I'm thinking it REALLY needs to flex its muscles a bit with a new game!!

Oh, dear. Get thee behind me, Satan!

#889723 - 05/24/13 08:08 PM Re: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing [Re: lanlynk]
maryjo Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: New Jersey USA
Hi, this game seemed so good I want to buy it !!!
I went to Steam's website. I created a acct. Now it's time to install thier downloader.They are giving me 5 choices: Modem 56K, DSL>768k,
DSL>768k They have checked DSL/cable2m + Cable Fiber 10mn
I do have Comcast cable. But I'm afraid to choose one. Help Thanks maryjo

#889736 - 05/24/13 09:34 PM Re: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing [Re: maryjo]
Marian Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: near Yosemite in California
Hi maryjo, if you have some idea of the speed of your cable, that would be the best way to determine which option you should pick. But if I were to choose without knowing what your speed is, I would think it would be okay to choose the option that says DSL/cable2m + cable fiber 10mn. wave

I hope you enjoy the game - I've been reading about it, and it sounds good. smile

#889744 - 05/24/13 10:03 PM Re: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing [Re: lanlynk]
looney4labs Offline
GB Reviewer Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Thanks Marian wave

Maryjo, I'm clueless, but if you have cable that is what I would pick. Let us know how it works wave

#889822 - 05/25/13 10:50 AM Re: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing [Re: lanlynk]
maryjo Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: New Jersey USA
Thanks for answering me. I don't know what the heck is going on crazy.
1st. It was a pain in the arce getting to the acct.
The 1st. downloader I choose was DSL/cable2m It downloaded ok-then said it could not open because another program was in use So I uninstalled that.
Then I installed thier choise DSL>768k That installed
Then I got this message Steam.exe [main expeption]: error:copying steam new exe to steam exe failed. Win32 erro 32
The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process mad Much like the 1st. message
Oh it finally confirmed my email address. Then I noticed the steam icon on the desktop. When I clicked on it it did lots of updates then it seemed I could acutaly buy the game threw paypal. But I don't know if the game would work.After they get the money. I'm very worried about shuting down the anti virus program. Just had a huge virus problem. Think I should just skip this whole steam thing ? It seems alot of hassel for 1 game. Hate to go threw this song and dance evertime I want to play / buy something from them Thanks maryjo

#889848 - 05/25/13 01:20 PM Re: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing [Re: lanlynk]
looney4labs Offline
GB Reviewer Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Maryjo, I have used Steam with no problems in the past. But I haven't used it for awhile. Son uses Steam often though.

I don't remember shutting down my virus program to use Steam. Son is not home and won't be until late tonight but I will ask him when he gets home.

#889855 - 05/25/13 02:00 PM Re: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing [Re: lanlynk]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

I've never had to shut down my anti-virus to download a game from Steam either. In fact, I'm downloading a game right now and didn't have any problems at all. I just start my Steam client from the program on my computer and it takes me directly to my account.

I know lots of other people have issues with not being recognized though.

#889860 - 05/25/13 02:44 PM Re: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing [Re: lanlynk]
looney4labs Offline
GB Reviewer Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Thanks Drac wave

I was pretty sure I'd have remembered shutting down my virus protection as I normally refuse to do that for anything. puppy

#889988 - 05/26/13 01:07 AM Re: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing [Re: maryjo]
lanlynk Offline
Settled Boomer

I haven't had any real problems with Steam either. I only started using it a few months ago, though. There's never been a conflict with my anti-virus. Eventually, with some help, you'll probably get Steam running just fine. Getting used to the interface makes a difference too. That takes a little time.

Heads-up on the Van Helsing game, though. It's been through 3 patches since it came out on the 22nd. Most of the fixes have been for the multiplayer mode. The good news is that the patches mean the developers are hard at work. However, several people are saying that when a patch comes out, their download for the game starts completely over. Others say the patches affect their current game saves.

This looks like a great game with lots of potential, but it is brand new, and most new games need to have bugs worked out. If you're already having headaches with Steam, I would suggest waiting at least a little while longer before downloading this game. Many players are loving it, but you might not want to deal with the frustration of new-game glitches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  looney4labs 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
0 registered (), 54 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Newest Members
ryan_khatam, BabyBloomer, denton9, TheProphet, Innervision
8566 Registered Users