GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
First Look - Prominence by gremlin #891563
06/02/13 12:06 AM
06/02/13 12:06 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline OP
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline OP
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Here's gremlin's First Look at the upcoming sci-fi adventure, Prominence.

First Look - Prominence by gremlin

What have we here?
A solar prominence is a stunning sight in astronomical imagery; an eruption of amazingly hot material from the surface of the Sun. One would assume, the laws of physics being constant across the observable universe, that such events also take place on other stars.
So knowing all this, I was already suspicious of what the situation was going to be in a game of the same name: Prominence.

Notes from a short journey
Prominence is a point and click adventure game in a first person perspective. It's a while since I've come across one of those where the locations are 360 degree bubbles, but that's what the developers have chosen for this one. However, in contrast with older games in this style, the locations are rendered in high resolution, and they're generally closer together than before too. It didn't take long for me to forget about the bubbles and think of them as stepping stones instead.
The story of Prominence begins with an explanation that you're part of a Letarri mission to establish a colony on a new world. However, the game begins when you wake up, seemingly alone, in the medical bay of high tech, futuristic space base, but the lights are dim, and things aren't working well.
As every good sci-fi geek knows, the first priority in any high tech disaster zone is to get power, life support and communications up and running. That's certainly the way I approached the beginning of the game. Whilst trying to avoid spoiling what happens, once the base's systems are in better condition, the game interface gets some interesting additions. To put it simply, Google Glass has nothing on what the Letarri can do with their computers!
The look of Prominence sticks quite closely to the smooth lines and holographic graphic aesthetic of the Star Trek family of science fiction. We're not in the Wild West of space (like Firefly) or a slightly Steam-Punkish Mid West (like Star Wars). However, not everything can be fixed by asking the computer to do it for you. There's real work to be done.
The puzzles in the early part of the game include inventory puzzles, and logic puzzles. This game is about more than 'find key card A' and 'get the spanner from B'. You need to pay attention to how things work, and think ahead.
Having said that you're alone in the beginning of the game does not tell the whole story of course, and though I've not played more than a few hours of Prominence, there are other voices in the story.

Jumping to conclusions?
First of all, this First Look is based upon a pre-release, press demo, which came with notes on how the game will contain more interactive content, as well as telling a much longer story. However, the content I did see left me in no doubt that Prominence will be a very intriguing game, and I hope there will be more twists and surprises along the lines of those in this demo. (Oh how I want to say more about those, but I won't).
Finally, I have to say, I'm looking forward to the eventual release of Prominence; it's a very promising game.

Re: First Look - Prominence by gremlin [Re: Jenny100] #891564
06/02/13 12:08 AM
06/02/13 12:08 AM
MaG Offline
Sonic Boomer
MaG  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Thanks, Jenny and Gremlin! thumbsup

Re: First Look - Prominence by gremlin [Re: Jenny100] #891565
06/02/13 12:11 AM
06/02/13 12:11 AM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Online content
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Online Content
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Great First Look! Thanks Gremlin and Jenny. yay

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: First Look - Prominence by gremlin [Re: Jenny100] #891568
06/02/13 12:24 AM
06/02/13 12:24 AM
GreyFuss Offline
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Thanks Gremlin

But what are "360 degree bubbles" I have never heard this terminology used before?

"Don't Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful...There Are Many Other Reasons!"
Re: First Look - Prominence by gremlin [Re: Jenny100] #891577
06/02/13 03:22 AM
06/02/13 03:22 AM
Greece
Haroula Offline
Adept Boomer
Haroula  Offline
Adept Boomer

Greece
Thanks, Jenny and Gremlin bravo

I change all my passwords to "incorrect". So whenever I forget, it says, "your password is incorrect".

Re: First Look - Prominence by gremlin [Re: GreyFuss] #891579
06/02/13 03:30 AM
06/02/13 03:30 AM
Isle of Man
gremlin Offline
Addicted Boomer
gremlin  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Isle of Man
The "360 degree bubbles" method is where you don't have full movement in the environment, but you have locations at which you can look all around, including up and down. I suppose it's the half way house between the fixed views of Myst and the full motion of realMyst.

Re: First Look - Prominence by gremlin [Re: Jenny100] #891585
06/02/13 04:46 AM
06/02/13 04:46 AM
Marlborough USA
Kaki's Sister Offline
Sonic Boomer
Kaki's Sister  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Marlborough USA
Thanks Jenny and gremlin. Sounds and looks like a great game!

Gerry
Re: First Look - Prominence by gremlin [Re: gremlin] #891684
06/02/13 01:32 PM
06/02/13 01:32 PM
GreyFuss Offline
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Originally Posted By: gremlin
The "360 degree bubbles" method is where you don't have full movement in the environment, but you have locations at which you can look all around, including up and down. I suppose it's the half way house between the fixed views of Myst and the full motion of realMyst.

Thanks for the explanation Gremlin. I still couldn't picture in my head exactly what the 360 degree bubble looked like so I took a look as this in game video...is this what you mean?

Prominence in-game footage

"Don't Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful...There Are Many Other Reasons!"
Re: First Look - Prominence by gremlin [Re: Jenny100] #891746
06/02/13 06:51 PM
06/02/13 06:51 PM
Isle of Man
gremlin Offline
Addicted Boomer
gremlin  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Isle of Man
Yes, that's the right game, and it does show what I described. Basically, when you click to walk in a direction, it is not up to you how far you walk, you automatically walk to the next 'bubble'.

Re: First Look - Prominence by gremlin [Re: Jenny100] #891748
06/02/13 07:23 PM
06/02/13 07:23 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
I wish you had said more because the in-game footage is about as interesting as watching paint dry to me, gremlin. I'll admit I'm not one for having no one to talk to but Hal, or solitary exploration, and figuring out logic puzzles a la Myst, though I realize plenty of people love games like that. Is that what this is?

Gil.

"Best not to think about it. I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought."
Re: First Look - Prominence by gremlin [Re: Jenny100] #891754
06/02/13 07:39 PM
06/02/13 07:39 PM
MaG Offline
Sonic Boomer
MaG  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Gil,

This is a First Look from a game that is not a finished and/or polished. It is even a pre-demo so it's a rough and possibly short peek of the game only.
Let's see if the game hold to the same thoughts when a complete game is played.

Let's see from gremlin if he had any other interaction with another character aside from "wake up seemingly alone".

Re: First Look - Prominence by gremlin [Re: MaG] #891794
06/03/13 02:55 AM
06/03/13 02:55 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Thank you, Jenny100 and Gremlin thumbsup thumbsup

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: First Look - Prominence by gremlin [Re: Jenny100] #891807
06/03/13 04:20 AM
06/03/13 04:20 AM
Alaska
lanlynk Offline
Settled Boomer
lanlynk  Offline
Settled Boomer

Alaska
Nicely written, gremlin. And based on the footage that GreyFuss shared, I can see what you're talking about. The movement felt smooth--as if I'd just naturally taken a couple of steps and then stopped to look around. The integrated sound of walking helped, I think. I didn't feel as though I'd been flung down the hallway after one step! And the panning views weren't jerky or spinning.

The graphics looked great too, in the video and the pics you gave us. It has a feel of another game I've played. Can't think now which one ... ??

Thanks gremlin, GreyFuss, and Jenny100.

"Dragons were never gone. They were just invisible and very, very quiet." ~ M'aiq the Liar (Skyrim)
Re: First Look - Prominence by gremlin [Re: Jenny100] #891888
06/03/13 11:15 AM
06/03/13 11:15 AM
Illinois
BubbaJake Offline
Settled Boomer
BubbaJake  Offline
Settled Boomer

Illinois
I have been waiting for this game for YEARS . I 'm so anxious to 'go there' and experience it. Please, let it be soon.

Re: First Look - Prominence by gremlin [Re: traveler] #891924
06/03/13 03:32 PM
06/03/13 03:32 PM
Isle of Man
gremlin Offline
Addicted Boomer
gremlin  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Isle of Man
Originally Posted By: traveler
I wish you had said more because the in-game footage is about as interesting as watching paint dry to me, gremlin. I'll admit I'm not one for having no one to talk to but Hal, or solitary exploration, and figuring out logic puzzles a la Myst, though I realize plenty of people love games like that. Is that what this is?

As Mag mentioned, my comments are based upon a very pre-release demo that covers perhaps the first couple of hours of the game. I didn't want to comment too much upon the couple of surprises that come in that time because they would definitely be spoilers.

As far as I can tell (but I may be wrong), Prominence won't feature long and complex dialogue trees (as were found in your favourite game, from the looks of your location and signature ;)), but does contain mechanical and computer-based logic puzzles. If that's not your thing, walk on by.

There seems to be quite a bit of anticipation about Prominence, which is always encouraging with an indie production. I think we should leave the developers to finish their work before judging any further.

Re: First Look - Prominence by gremlin [Re: Jenny100] #891941
06/03/13 06:56 PM
06/03/13 06:56 PM
Long Island, NY
cg_mike Offline
Shy Boomer
cg_mike  Offline
Shy Boomer

Long Island, NY
Thanks for the preview, Gameboomers! smile

Originally Posted By: gremlin
Originally Posted By: traveler

As far as I can tell (but I may be wrong), Prominence won't feature long and complex dialogue trees (as were found in your favourite game, from the looks of your location and signature ;)), but does contain mechanical and computer-based logic puzzles. If that's not your thing, walk on by.

That's correct. There are no dialog trees in Prominence.

However, there are more than two dozen characters in the story, and most have quite a bit to say via voice and/or text (depending on how you set the in-game options wink ).

So despite a lack of dialog trees, we still try to have characters who bring some of the triumphs, tragedies, comedy, and drama of the story. The player also uses the various character dialogs and texts to help unravel key events in the story, and sometimes to help solve puzzles.

Mike M. // Prominence development team
Re: First Look - Prominence by gremlin [Re: cg_mike] #892018
06/04/13 02:44 AM
06/04/13 02:44 AM
Isle of Man
gremlin Offline
Addicted Boomer
gremlin  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Isle of Man
Thanks for the input cg_mike. From your avatar, I'm going to guess that you're involved in Prominence, if so, excellent work, keep it up. smile

Re: First Look - Prominence by gremlin [Re: Jenny100] #892026
06/04/13 04:18 AM
06/04/13 04:18 AM
Long Island, NY
cg_mike Offline
Shy Boomer
cg_mike  Offline
Shy Boomer

Long Island, NY
Glad to help! I've added a sig now. smile Thanks for the kind words.

Mike M. // Prominence development team
Re: First Look - Prominence by gremlin [Re: cg_mike] #892079
06/04/13 11:42 AM
06/04/13 11:42 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Thank you, cg_mike smile Really looking forward to the game thumbsup

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: First Look - Prominence by gremlin [Re: Jenny100] #892222
06/05/13 05:19 AM
06/05/13 05:19 AM
Marlborough USA
Kaki's Sister Offline
Sonic Boomer
Kaki's Sister  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Marlborough USA
I checked out the "in game footage" and it looks fantastic! This is my kind of exploring game! I can't wait for this one to be completed. It's looking likes a true exploring adventure game! You've got my vote Mike M.! bravo

Gerry
Re: First Look - Prominence by gremlin [Re: Jenny100] #892760
06/06/13 10:00 PM
06/06/13 10:00 PM
Singleton, Australia
C
Callista Offline
Shy Boomer
Callista  Offline
Shy Boomer
C

Singleton, Australia
I have also played this demo game. The full game when it is released will consist of 4 acts. The demo only consists of 2 acts. Within the first 2 acts, the game is still only partially functional. In the final release, there will be quite a few additions to the pre-release.
The game as mentioned by Jenny is slow to begin where the medical Bay is dimly lit due to low power. After restoring power and you can see clearly where you are going,more things are revealed. The game evolves logically and methodically. Without revealing any spoilers, you will be surprised who you are when you meet ANNIE, the central computer.
The puzzles are logical and are well integrated into the game. They are not contrived in that a puzzle is placed for the sake of having a puzzle to solve.
I can only assume that there are survivors somewhere else in the space vessel. You can find out from several communication points after power is restored and you solve a couple of necessary problems, who some of the crew members are and their titles.
The graphics are really great and I am sure most players will love this game. Hats off to Mike Morrison and his team in developing this amazing game.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (oldbroad, BrownEyedTigre), 233 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users