GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! #893803
06/11/13 05:57 PM
06/11/13 05:57 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Part 3: Build Me A New Computer!!!

bravo At Last! Now for the fun part. I hope to learn even more than I did in Parts 1 & 2.

Keeping in mind the results of Part 1 ... Windows 7, Home Premium 64 Bit & Part 2 ... ASUS VG248QE 24-Inch Screen LED Monitor, Lets build GreyFuss a computer.

First, before the details, a question...Which place is preferable?

EcollegePC or CyberPowerPC somewhere else?

Now onto some of the things I think I want/need...

* I am not looking for a budget configuration, nor am I looking to break the bank. I would hope this PC will last past the 2020 Windows 7 support expiration date and not have to be constantly upgrading because I choose to save a few dollars now. Its one of those, you can pay me now or pay me later things. I rather pay it now.

* I play mostly Adventure games but that doesn’t mean that my 6 year old Grandson might want to play an action game or flight simulator. I won’t let him play the shoot-em up, bloody zombie stuff but I don’t mind him dropping a few bombs from planes on unsuspecting people or strafing a convoy LOL.

* I do like to do some Photo editing and just a little grapic design for fun.

* I do a lot of Internet research and do downloading, in fact, for this new PC, I just ordered a super fast Internet through my Cable company, 60mbps download, 5mbps upload so I would want any new configuration be powerful enough to handle that if that makes sense.

*Don’t need any Mice, Keyboards or Monitor (See Part 2)

* Big enough case to allow for any future upgrades, air circulation and enough space extra fans to never have a heating problem but not so many as to alert the Air Traffic Controllers.

* Speedy Processor

* I am old school about Hardrive space so I don’t keep a lot of unnecessary stuff. For example I have 320 GB now but have 195GB free. So that being said at least a 500GB fast Hard Drive

* Load me up with RAM, 8GB of the fastest type memory????

* Beefy Power Supply, Plenty enough for this configuration and enough for any potential upgrades in the future. Would rather have too much Power than just enough.

* I like Nvidia Graphics cards. Would like one that would have no problems with the most demanding Adventure games with all settings set to high and also powerful enough to play some not so intensive action games and have plenty of onboard memory and fan..I think

* Fast DVD/CD Optical drive that will do it all like read and write dual layer.and Rewritables

* Sound Card, of course. I have a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi now

dance So lets have some fun and Build my computer

"Don't Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful...There Are Many Other Reasons!"
Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893806
06/11/13 06:06 PM
06/11/13 06:06 PM
M
mj2c Offline
Addicted Boomer
mj2c  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

For what you use a comp for you dont seem to really need a powerful system. Am I missing summat here?

I would advise don't spend a lot of dosh on setup that has the power you wont use because computers depreciate in value rather rapidly.

Lol, just reread this and I sound like a bit of a killjoy. Sorry about that:-)

Last edited by mj2c; 06/11/13 06:07 PM.
Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: mj2c] #893823
06/11/13 07:38 PM
06/11/13 07:38 PM
Creeping_Doom Offline
Settled Boomer
Creeping_Doom  Offline
Settled Boomer

Your budget terms are a bit vague , but here goes . Ecollege has very good ratings , slightly better than Cyberpower , but. , Cyberpower has a much better selection of parts . An AMD based system will cost less than an Intel based system . Personal preferences being what they are . If you utilize your current keyboard , mouse , you will potentially save a couple hundred dollars . If you decide to purchase a sound card , make it an Asus Xonar or HT Omega . Both sound vastly better than anything Creative . The sound quality is better , the drivers are less bloated , & customer/driver support & updates are better & more frequent . A set of good speakers will bring out the best in a sound card. A headset may factor in as well if you prefer . A good stereo headset from Razer or Logitech would be a good choice . Maybe even a trip to a local Best Buy or a place like that could produce a good headset choice .

So many options or directions to go . I would say this though . Based on what you have already stated , I would wager that a nice rig could be built around $800-$1200 (AMD based) . Add approximately $200-$400 for an Intel based rig .

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893825
06/11/13 07:57 PM
06/11/13 07:57 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I like the "build your computer" at eCollegePC and the personal service, but I'm sure that CyberPower would also build you a great PC. I would just go to each website and play around.

Just for fun, I put this one together at eCollegePC for $1,155. I didn't add a separate sound card because the on-board sound on the new motherboards is really excellent. You can always do that too. This is very similar to the computer upgrade I just did a couple of weeks ago. I did a lot of research on the Core i5 3570 vs. a Core i7 and all the benchmarks at Tom's Hardware give it a "best bang for the buck" CPU. If you look at a CPU with a K behind the number, that just means it's unlocked for overclocking. I got a 3 GB Superclocked GeForce 660Ti and 8 GB of RAM. And I am playing some of the latest shooters on high settings with nary a hiccup. I got Metro Last Light as a freebie with the video card and it's rumored to make many video cards weep. My 660Ti is rocking this game...

In this quest, you should also get a very cool case you will love. I grabbed this Storm Scout, but they have many other ones. Get one with adequate fans. Storm Scout Newegg Reviews

Another thing you could add is a small SSD to use as a cache drive to really speed things up. eCollegePC will set up the Intel Smart Response Technology.

Intel Core i5-3570 3.4 Ghz 6MB Cache Quad-Core Stock Intel LGA1155 Heatsink and Fan
GIGABYTE GA-Z77-HD3 (Intel Z77, 2xPCI-E, 6xSATA, 4xDDR3)
8GB (4GBx2) PC3 10666 DDR3 1333Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty
500GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATA3 6Gbps (Major Brand)
24X LiteON Label Tag Dual Layer DVD+/-RW DVD-RAM w/Nero
2GB GeForce GTX 660Ti GDDR5 PCI-E Dual-DVI/HDMI (Major Brand)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
CoolerMaster Black Storm Scout (5 5.25, 5 3.5) 2 Fans, Audio/USB/eSATA
650watt Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W 80 PLUS CERTIFIED
Onboard LAN included
Onboard Sound included
Wires and Cables neatly tied up away from fans
3 Year Parts and Labor Warranty

Edit: Good thoughts on the sound card, Creeping Doom. An Asus Xonar is a mere extra $99 for this rig.

Last edited by Draclvr; 06/11/13 08:14 PM.

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: Draclvr] #893837
06/11/13 09:13 PM
06/11/13 09:13 PM
Creeping_Doom Offline
Settled Boomer
Creeping_Doom  Offline
Settled Boomer

Much appreciated , Draclvr . Speaking from personal experience , I can attest to the sound quality of an Asus Xonar DX . I have it's "big brother" , the Xonar D2X . I have coupled that with a set of Klipsch ProMmedia Ultra 5.1 speakers . Lots of volume to make the neighbors angry ! :-) Not a bad setup at all that you have listed !

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893839
06/11/13 09:29 PM
06/11/13 09:29 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
It's just a starting point. I am lusting over your sound setup!

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: Draclvr] #893842
06/11/13 09:48 PM
06/11/13 09:48 PM
Creeping_Doom Offline
Settled Boomer
Creeping_Doom  Offline
Settled Boomer

Originally Posted By: Draclvr
It's just a starting point. I am lusting over your sound setup!

That's only a part of it . I actually have another 5.1 speaker set , the Logitec Z5500 . I think I have a 2.1 speaker set in my closet as well . My current headphones are the Sony MDR V6 . I have 3 other sound cards also .

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893845
06/11/13 10:39 PM
06/11/13 10:39 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Can I come live with you! I have a Logitech Z523 sound system and it's pretty good, but you have me beat by a long way!

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893848
06/11/13 11:18 PM
06/11/13 11:18 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

yay Oh Boy...this is really fun I am having a blast looking into the details on every device.

Thanks for all your interest and input. It gives me different angles & perspectives to look at and different research for learning.

I love the fact that there is a "View Details" button at ECollegePC which opens up a separate window that takes you to the manufactures site get get exactly the details on a device chosen. I don't see this great feature or a way to do it at CyberPower. In fact I like the whole way to configure it page at ECollege. Its just so easy to see and choose. Especially with the drop down menus.

Question:
Do you get all manuals, paperwork, disks, spare parts/cables or boxes for each device you choose? I have never looked at manual for a Mother Board but I was easily able to see the one for Draclvr's suggested board above from the "View Details" button at ECollege.

* Putting more thought into your suggestions and because Draclvr stating that Mother Boards and the one she suggested put out decent sound now a days. I am leaning towards no Sound Card, at least not at this time. I am not as much into sound as I once was, besides my once excellent hearing is certainly not what it use to be but I do like to pick up good separation that surround provides. My system was the best that Dell offered at the time years ago and they do fine for me still [url=Oh Boy...this is really fun I am having a blast looking into the details on every device. Thanks for all your interest and input. It gives me different angles & perspectives to look at and different research for learning. I love the fact that there is a "View Details" button at ECollegePC which opens up a separate window that takes you to the manufactures site get get exactly the details on a device chosen. I don't see this great feature or a way to do it at CyberPower. In fact I like the whole way to configure it page at ECollege. Its just so easy to see and choose. Especially with the drop down menus. Question: Do you get all manuals, paperwork, disks, spare parts/cables or boxes for each device you choose? I have never looked at manual for a Mother Board but I was easily able to see the one for Draclvr's suggested board above from the "View Details" button at ECollege. Putting more thought into your suggestions and because Draclvr stating that Mother Boards and the one she suggested put out decent sound now a days. I am leaning towards no Sound Card, at not at this time. I am not as much into sound as I once was, besides my once excellent hearing is certainly not what it use to be but I do like to pick up good separation that surround provides. My system was the best that Dell offered at the time years ago and they do fine for me still, Altec Lansing ADA995 THX Speakers, and they will hook up perfectly to the Mother Board Jacks. Looking at the Mother Board Manual it looks like the software for the sound system is very user friendly. Later, if I don't care for the sound it is really easy to add a Sound Card then.

* That Graphic Card looks Awesome! and look at the connections, something for everyone.
1 Dual Link DVD-I
1 Dual Link DVD-D
1 HDMI
1 Display Port

* On the Lite On Optical Drive I can't find what "Label Tag" means in its title. Also in its specs it doesn't list Win 7 just XP and Vista. Is it simply a matter of an update for Win 7?

* That Case is also Awesome. Maybe I am showing my age but why must they always be black...I hate dusting. duh

Keep it coming...I think I have goose bumps lol

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893850
06/11/13 11:25 PM
06/11/13 11:25 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Click on some of the other cases - there are white ones too. Make sure you pick a really cool one!

That's the good thing about having one built for you like this - you get ALL the disks, cables etc. as though you were building it yourself. No more creating backup disks or recovery disks - YOU own the Windows 7 DVD and all the driver disks for the motherboard etc. In fact, you may have a pile of stuff. Very few components come with manuals any more - they are either included as a PDF on the driver disk or you get them from the manufacturer's website.

I'd have to look at that with the optical drive - I may have goofed up on the editing. Optical drives are plug and play - no worries about compatibility with any operating system.

A sound card and more RAM and other options are something you can always add later if you want.

Someone else may come up with an even better combination of components for you...

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893852
06/11/13 11:32 PM
06/11/13 11:32 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

LOL...just so many choices with the cases. What I like about the one you chose is there are 4 USB (2.0 or 3.0?) Ports right on the front top.

I am still looking at all the options so please keep all suggestions coming.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893856
06/12/13 12:24 AM
06/12/13 12:24 AM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

What is a eSATA Port, what is it for and why would you need it on the front of the case? Apevia Case

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893860
06/12/13 12:56 AM
06/12/13 12:56 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
It's an exterior connection for a SATA hard drive or other peripheral. With the advent of USB 3.0, I don't know how useful they really are. I've never used mine...

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893873
06/12/13 03:44 AM
06/12/13 03:44 AM
Michigan
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
I prefer Cyberpower myself but you have to be aware of one thing,they seem to consider liquid cooled the norm now. So if you want a fan cooled cpu you actually have to choose it as a liquid cooled is standard.I always learn a lot when I visit their site.I also really like getting all the disks as mentioned before.When I choose a case I try to make sure some usb ports are available on the front.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: Geo] #893899
06/12/13 07:50 AM
06/12/13 07:50 AM
Creeping_Doom Offline
Settled Boomer
Creeping_Doom  Offline
Settled Boomer

Liquid cooling for a cpu is more quiet than air cooling , and does a better job for those out there who are major overclockers . I'm sure that doesn't apply here . Liquid cooling is quite safe , & depending on the setup , comparable in cost .

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893935
06/12/13 10:44 AM
06/12/13 10:44 AM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Who would have thought that the most time consuming aspect of Part 3 is choosing a Case? And of course the one I most like visually at ECollege is one of the most expensive....Good Grief slapforehead

Corsair Graphite Series 600T Special Edition White
The above Corsair also has a feature that I always thought was a good idea but never ask anyones opinions on it. It has filters on the intake fans and also for the PSU to help filter out dust before entering the case. Any opinions on having Case filters...good, bad?

In addition to the one Draclvr sugested I also like this one but I am going to have to go over all my options again. Also so far I have only been playing at ECollege so next up I am going to play over at CyberPower.

CM Storm Enforcer

EDIT:
Is it advisable to upgrade from any stock Intel Heatsink/fan?

Last edited by GreyFuss; 06/12/13 12:06 PM.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893955
06/12/13 12:27 PM
06/12/13 12:27 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Go to Newegg and read user reviews about the cases to see what people think of them. Definitely go for the fan filters - they really help with the dust intake. My Antec 900 doesn't have them and I have to open up the case and blow it out at least every 3 months.

That Corsair Graphite series is very cool looking and also very highly rated. Personally, I find picking out a case I love to be the most fun part!

I don't upgrade from the stock heatsinks and my CPU always runs nice and cool. If you overclock, then you definitely need to upgrade. But if you don't plan on overclocking, it's more of a personal preference.

I notice eCollegePC still has the 5% discount if you enter BLACKFRIDAY at checkout.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893956
06/12/13 12:28 PM
06/12/13 12:28 PM
Creeping_Doom Offline
Settled Boomer
Creeping_Doom  Offline
Settled Boomer

It is always advisable to use an aftermarket heatsink/fan . They do a better job of cooling . I like the cooler master case myself . As for a dust filter for the psu , that is a good idea . It would definitely come in handy if the psu was mounted with the fan facing down . With the fan facing up , not a whole lot you can do .

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893960
06/12/13 12:31 PM
06/12/13 12:31 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Posting at the same time, I see! And the heatsink upgrades aren't all that expensive - it's only another $25 - $50 unless you get the really high-powered ones.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893970
06/12/13 12:51 PM
06/12/13 12:51 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Quote:
That Corsair Graphite series is very cool looking and also very highly rated.
And not only does it filter the dust but you don't notice it as much on the white Case thumbsup The fan speed dial looks to be very handy but I am not sure...what do you-all think about it?

Quote:
Draclvr
Personally, I find picking out a case I love to be the most fun part!
I have seen you talk about cases alot here in the past and I knew you enjoyed it. I get the feeling that even though a case might have much more room for options I won't need it still helps in air circulation.

Quote:
Draclvr
I don't upgrade from the stock heatsinks and my CPU always runs nice and cool. If you overclock, then you definitely need to upgrade. But if you don't plan on overclocking, it's more of a personal preference.

Quote:
Creeping_Doom
It is always advisable to use an aftermarket heatsink/fan . They do a better job of cooling . I like the cooler master case myself . As for a dust filter for the psu , that is a good idea . It would definitely come in handy if the psu was mounted with the fan facing down . With the fan facing up , not a whole lot you can do

Quote:
Draclvr
I see! And the heatsink upgrades aren't all that expensive - it's only another $25 - $50 unless you get the really high-powered ones.

Yes it is inexpensive and I guess it could only help right?

Quote:
Draclvr
I notice eCollegePC still has the 5% discount if you enter BLACKFRIDAY at checkout.

Oh boy, thanks for this info, might make it easier to accept the Corsair Case with the 5% extra money.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894089
06/12/13 11:03 PM
06/12/13 11:03 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

After researching the Corsair Graphite some more I didn't realize how massive in size it is and will have to choose something else. This is getting to be harder than I thought especially after playing around over at CyberPower. I would really like more opinions from all of you on system components and/or whole computer configuration. Others suggestions on cases would be great and any more input as to why some of you prefer CyberPower over ECollege and vice versa would be helpful.
HELP I am drowning in information

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894092
06/12/13 11:20 PM
06/12/13 11:20 PM
Creeping_Doom Offline
Settled Boomer
Creeping_Doom  Offline
Settled Boomer

As perhaps you noticed , Cyberpower has a better selection of parts to choose from . Better , in that it is more varied . How about this case : Coolermaster HAF 912

Looksxlike a nice enough case , although it would need a side fan and top fan .

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894098
06/13/13 12:42 AM
06/13/13 12:42 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
If you are looking at a mid-tower case, it is definitely going to be MUCH bigger than what you're used to. The Graphite series isn't all that much bigger than most other mid-tower cases. But a decent video card can be quite large and may not even fit into a small case.

Personally, I'd just pick out a case that appeals to you and go from there. The choices out there are dizzying for sure. You just have to pick a budget and go from there. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to get one built for around $1000 that will last you for a very long time.

I always tell people the first step is to decide what your budget it and then go from there.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894138
06/13/13 07:23 AM
06/13/13 07:23 AM
The Country
Winfrey Offline
BAAG Specialist
Winfrey  Offline
BAAG Specialist

The Country
I don't know a lot about cases GreyFuss...but with the Googling I have done I really like that. Corsair that you picked out...I think I would deal wilth the weight considering all that it has and how roomie it is :-)

Would that I could be the peacemaker in your soul that I might turn the discord and the rivalry of your elements into oneness and melody
Gibran
Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894155
06/13/13 08:34 AM
06/13/13 08:34 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I like the Corsair too.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894181
06/13/13 10:15 AM
06/13/13 10:15 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Take another look at the Corsair White Carbide series... It is very close to the size of my Antec 900 and is also great looking. I like the black mesh front and top with the white sides. The Graphite is definitely 2 inches wider and about 4 inches longer than mine, but I would love it if mine were wider just for cable management.

If you are concerned with portability, I got a base on wheels for mine as it is really heavy. I can roll it around and dust underneath it.

As I said before, any of these mid-sized cases are going to look huge compared to what you have now. I'll grant you the White Graphite is big, but unless you are cramped for space, it's still an amazing high-end case. You should never put these higher end computers in small enclosed computer desk slots anyway - unless you use water cooling. I like mine out because it just looks great!

Here should be your thought process with the emphasis on the "KISS" method. Going with AMD or Intel or Nvidia is mostly a matter of preference; one is not necessarily better than the other.

Case
AMD or Intel CPU
Pick a CPU
Motherboard
Video Card, Nvidia or AMD
Pick a video card
RAM
Power supply

DONE!

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: Creeping_Doom] #894194
06/13/13 11:08 AM
06/13/13 11:08 AM
Arizona
InlandAZ Offline
BAAG Specialist
InlandAZ  Offline
BAAG Specialist

Arizona
Originally Posted By: Creeping_Doom
As perhaps you noticed , Cyberpower has a better selection of parts to choose from . Better , in that it is more varied . How about this case : Coolermaster HAF 912

Looks like a nice enough case , although it would need a side fan and top fan .

My son pruchased this case a while back when we put together a new rig. It's actually quite nice to work with; you've got a lot of "hand" room on the inside.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894256
06/13/13 04:07 PM
06/13/13 04:07 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Newegg has pictures of the Coolermaster HAF 912
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

Nowhere near as pretty as the Corsair (IMO), and no front port for USB 3.0, but it's quite a lot cheaper, 1.3" skinnier, and about 10 pounds lighter.

Both put the power supply on the bottom.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894284
06/13/13 05:31 PM
06/13/13 05:31 PM
The Country
Winfrey Offline
BAAG Specialist
Winfrey  Offline
BAAG Specialist

The Country
NZXT Phanton

and a review

review

more stuff

Still like the Corsair

Last edited by Winfrey; 06/13/13 05:46 PM.

Would that I could be the peacemaker in your soul that I might turn the discord and the rivalry of your elements into oneness and melody
Gibran
Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894286
06/13/13 05:41 PM
06/13/13 05:41 PM
New York
cazziejoe Offline
Settled Boomer
cazziejoe  Offline
Settled Boomer

New York
I got an incredible system from ecollege 1.5 year ago and can play/do anything and haven't had any issue. And it cost about $800 (about half of what I'd pay from a bigname company). In fact I think I posted it back then.

As for case I got a elite Cooler Master.
caz

Last edited by cazziejoe; 06/13/13 05:43 PM.
Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894293
06/13/13 06:08 PM
06/13/13 06:08 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Thank you guys very much. I really do love all your opinions and suggestions and take everyone into account.

First, let me say that I love the Corsair White Graphic more than any other and I have gone over and over it figuring out a way to make it work. Its not the weight, the width or the height that is the problem...its the depth. At about 23.5 inches deep that just about puts it against the wall with no room for wires in my Man Cave. It seems like that always happens, after finally finding something you like you can't have it. Most of the cases I have been looking at and the ones suggested are 19.5 to 20.5 in depth which are perfect and 3 to 4 inches shorter than that beautiful Graphite Case. cry I am bummed.

All my computer towers are on a cart next to my desk out in the open

Thanks Creeping_Doom, InlandAZ and Jenny100 with the info for the Coolermaster HAF 912. It is a very nice case for sure, but....and don't you guys laugh...all those little nooks and crannies on the edges look great but they would just hold the dust and it being black....OH MY am I being anal about dust or what? rolleyes

Wow, Winfrey, that sure is a beautiful white case, isn't it? Kind of space age like. I don't see it being offered at CyberPower or ECollege though. Thanks for the suggestion thumbsup

Draclvr
We think alike. I have been checking out the Carbide Series® 500R White Mid-Tower Case It does seem to have enough fans, the size is doable, I wanted a couple more USB Ports on the front but the 2 are 3.0 so beggars can't be chooser. Here is something that concerns me...
Quote:
Supports graphics cards up to 452mm in length (with hard drive cage removed)
Is that going to be a problem with the NVidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti that you suggested earlier?

Thanks Cazziejoe. The best opinions on a store are those from people that buy from them. Did they send you all the disks manuals, cable and extra parts that would have come with each component and did they send you the Operating System disk like Windows 7 or whatever you got?

Finally, what the heck happened to Best Buy? Went there today to look at their Monitors and to pick up a Display Port cable and check on adapters. Half the store is now Gardner White Furniture. Couple that with the appliance section there isn't much left for the electronics. In fact they don't even have displays anymore of computer monitors. Just a few in boxes. They only had a few PCs for sale. Where once they had all cables they didn't even carry DVI or Display cables. They did have VGA but geesh! Apparently the reason they don't have display monitors are for the exact reason I was there lol To look at the monitors then go home and but it Online cheaper LOL.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894298
06/13/13 06:35 PM
06/13/13 06:35 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
When I look up the 660Ti, it says it is 241.3 mm. The GTX 660 is also 9.5 inches or 241.3 mm. The 660Ti is actually massive overkill for the kind of gaming and computing you do! I was just throwing in higher end components to see how much it all came up to. There are less expensive cards that will do just fine for you.

I tried to find the length of the AMD 7850, but it wasn't listed either on the website or at Newegg. Kind of strange???

You can always do what I did and install a card reader that included some USB ports on the front. Depending on which motherboard you get, there will probably be at least 6 - 8 USB ports on the back plus the two on the front of the case.

Even if you go with your second choice, I guarantee you will love it. That one is also a very nice case and will be great for all your components.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894301
06/13/13 06:49 PM
06/13/13 06:49 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
This one is 9.5" long
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150609

which would be 241.3 mm.
If eCollege or CyberPower is building it for you, you don't have to worry about the size of the card because they'll take care of it for you.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: Draclvr] #894304
06/13/13 07:00 PM
06/13/13 07:00 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

When I look up the 660Ti, it says it is 241.3 mm. The GTX 660 is also 9.5 inches or 241.3 mm. The 660Ti is actually massive overkill for the kind of gaming and computing you do! I was just throwing in higher end components to see how much it all came up to. There are less expensive cards that will do just fine for you.

OK...before I come over and squash all your tomato plants, what would you suggest? sad

Quote:
If eCollege or CyberPower is building it for you, you don't have to worry about the size of the card because they'll take care of it for you.
Thanks Jenny, thats a relief

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894309
06/13/13 07:32 PM
06/13/13 07:32 PM
Arizona
InlandAZ Offline
BAAG Specialist
InlandAZ  Offline
BAAG Specialist

Arizona
Originally Posted By: GreyFuss
OK...before I come over and squash all your tomato plants, what would you suggest?

If you do that, there'll be no Bloody Mary’s for you scared

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: InlandAZ] #894311
06/13/13 07:39 PM
06/13/13 07:39 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
lol lol lol

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894313
06/13/13 07:51 PM
06/13/13 07:51 PM
The Country
Winfrey Offline
BAAG Specialist
Winfrey  Offline
BAAG Specialist

The Country
Looking at my WOMAN cave... looks like I can not use the Corsair either....it would stick out of the right side of my built in cabinet desk about 2 1/2 inches.... darn... it sure is pretty.

Gibran
Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894344
06/13/13 10:44 PM
06/13/13 10:44 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
You should never put these higher end computers in a built in desk anyway, Winfrey! It does not give them enough airflow for cooling. So you will just have to get your new computer built with this case and show it off NEXT to your cabinet desk! (You know that you're next, don't you?!)

Greyfuss, I can only tell you what video card I went for after doing a lot of reading and considering that I play very demanding shooters and RPGs and my budget. Since you do NOT play those kinds of games, you really don't need something like that. New adventure games are getting more demanding for sure, but definitely not to that level. It's all up to you!

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894347
06/13/13 11:02 PM
06/13/13 11:02 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

But I have no idea of what I need, thats why I am here asking for help. Ouch...just when I thought I was nearing completion I feel I am back to the drawing board... cry

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894376
06/14/13 03:28 AM
06/14/13 03:28 AM
Michigan
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
Winfrey: I am designing my own line of computers for women. All the cases are pink and the internet only connects to on-line shoe stores.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: Geo] #894398
06/14/13 07:47 AM
06/14/13 07:47 AM
The Country
Winfrey Offline
BAAG Specialist
Winfrey  Offline
BAAG Specialist

The Country
Originally Posted By: Geo
Winfrey: I am designing my own line of computers for women. All the cases are pink and the internet only connects to on-line shoe stores.

I will get you for that Geo!!!! :-)

Yes, Drac I know...I am paying close attention to this thread. :-)
Look at link to a picture of my desk space.. it is an open area underneath .. is this ok it is not closed in.
Second... if I want to play games like Tomb Raider.. Witcher... and be prepared for more demanding games.. would the 670Ti be the way to go?
Please excuse the messy cables in back :-)

built in desk area

Last edited by Winfrey; 06/14/13 08:25 AM.

Gibran
Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894409
06/14/13 09:44 AM
06/14/13 09:44 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
No, the knee-hole is fine, Winfrey. I thought you were talking about the narrow built-in spaces they have for computers. I have my XP computer in mine, but it doesn't need much cooling.

One of my goals in life is to do something about all the cables under my desk! Hah!

I was able to play all the Tomb Raider games and Witcher 1 on my old GTX 260. It was Witcher 2 that finally made the GTX 260 cry out for mercy. The upgrade to the 660Ti was the result of a lot of reading at Tom's Hardware comparing video cards and trying to match my budget with my needs. I got Metro Last Light as a freebie with it, a game that is said to be very demanding and it's smoking the game on all the highest settings. Of course, in just a few years the same thing will happen!

Geo, Winfrey and I are both going to get you for that one! grin

Greyfuss, I'm not real comfortable in actually telling you what to get for a video card - I thought you were asking for suggestions and opinions. There are a lot of choices including AMD cards. You said you preferred Nvidia, so I mentioned the one I just got. It's $300 and is more than you need. But, I don't know if that doesn't matter to you or if you want to go down in price to a less powerful card.

The bottom line is that however you put this computer together or which company you have do it, it's going to be wonderful!

Last edited by Draclvr; 06/14/13 09:59 AM. Reason: Forgot one of Winfrey's questions.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894415
06/14/13 09:59 AM
06/14/13 09:59 AM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Thanks Draclvr, you know I still love ya (sorry about all the smashed tomato plants)

I thought that your suggestions were for me with the criteria I gave. Forgive me the misunderstanding. Since I had no other suggestions to compare it to it was the only one I could go by. My concern is, and I have seen it here on Glitches a lot, is if I chose a card that I thought was good and I come back here with a problem I am told I have a low end card in that line. I have seen people think they have a high end card and looking at the number I thought so too and they were extremely disappointed when told that they didn't have as much card as they though.

You see all the bandwidth, clock speed, etc, is all to confusing for me to make a choice. Now, I don't really mind Overkill because that is what I would prefer but if its Massive Overkill maybe thats too much.

Let me ask you this. If the GeForce 660Ti 2gb is Massive Overkill what do you all think of going down a notch to the Geforce 650Ti 2gb? How is the ratings on that and is that the best of the 650 line and would that be just Overkill and not Massive Overkill? Would the 650Ti fit with my choice of Montitor previously discussed in Part 2?

Miss Winfrey, where do your legs go under that desk? It is a beautiful unit and I know that we can't see the real, presidents, desk that you must be sitting on to take that picture.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894428
06/14/13 10:22 AM
06/14/13 10:22 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I was wondering where Winfrey's legs went too!

Greyfuss, I'm going to link to some charts that are not meant to confuse, just to show some of the benchmarks on these high end video cards and how they stack up against each other.

The first on ranks them on performance only, but check out some of those prices on the right!

High End Video Cards Performance

This one ranks them as best performance for the price. You can see that the 650 Ti ranks pretty high here.

Performance/Price

This website is a great one to compare video cards. Most of the information is Greek to me, but you can still get a good feeling for how the cards compare to each other. I plugged in the GTX 650 and the GTX 650Ti and there was quite a difference in performance. Of course, plugging in the 660Ti was another huge jump.

GPU Boss

Like I said, it's a matter of balancing your budget with the best card you can afford. Will adventure games require DX11? How much performance do you really need if you're not going to be playing Metro Last Light or Witcher 3 when it comes out? Just don't overthink it...

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894432
06/14/13 10:38 AM
06/14/13 10:38 AM
The Country
Winfrey Offline
BAAG Specialist
Winfrey  Offline
BAAG Specialist

The Country
LOL... my legs can fit under and between the pc and bass..... but I usually sit with them under my chair :-)
Ok, I'm thinking about LittleFuss.... even though he won't be playing the let's kill everyone games.. in a few years he might be playing some like perhaps.. airplanes flying..doing tricks... trucks doing things that might require more video card?? Maybe... I think I would be safe and do overkill Mr. Fuss

Last edited by Winfrey; 06/14/13 10:44 AM.

Gibran
Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894434
06/14/13 10:56 AM
06/14/13 10:56 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Overkill is not a bad thing, Winfrey! Perhaps we should ask Mrs. GreyFuss!

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894439
06/14/13 11:06 AM
06/14/13 11:06 AM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

I think you may be right Miss Winfrey. Also I see you have a place to lay down next to your computer when you get tired.

Draclvr
Thank you for the links, most helpful especially the last one. And keeping in mind what InlandAZ said in Part 2 Monitors "Find one with the highest memory bandwidth and a minimum of 2GB of VRAM" there seems to be a lot more with the 660Ti. I leaning on going ahead with Massive as opposed to just plain old ordinary Overkill. And thinking about what LittleFuss and what he may want to try in the coming years I think more is better and I wont have to post in Glitches asking why something won't play. besides its only about $100 difference. Lets see if it where 1970 that would only be about $10.

Now if there aren't any more surprises from Draclvr. I still would be looking for more suggestions and opinions. This is what I have so far...What do you think?

Quote:
Intel Core i5-3570 3.4Ghz 6MB Cache Quad-Core |
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Fan/Heatsink |
GIGABYTE GA-Z77-HD3 (Intel Z77, 2xPCI-E, 6xSATA, 4xDDR3) |
8GB (4GBx2) PC3 10666 DDR3 1333Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty |
500GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATA3 6Gbps (Major Brand) |
24X LiteON Label Tag Dual Layer DVD+/-RW DVD-RAM w/Nero |
2GB GeForce GTX 660Ti GDDR5 PCI-E Dual-DVI/HDMI (Major Brand) |
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit |
Corsair White Carbide Series 500R (4 5.25, 6 3.5) 4 Fans, Audio/USB 3.0 |
650watt Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W 80 PLUS CERTIFIED |
Onboard LAN included |
Onboard Sound included |
Wires and Cables neatly tied up away from fans |

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894448
06/14/13 11:52 AM
06/14/13 11:52 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Hit the buy button and don't forget to use that BLACK FRIDAY discount if you're ordering from eCollegePC! Mike is absolutely great to work with there.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: Draclvr] #894454
06/14/13 12:06 PM
06/14/13 12:06 PM
The Country
Winfrey Offline
BAAG Specialist
Winfrey  Offline
BAAG Specialist

The Country
Posting at the same time, I see! And the heatsink upgrades aren't all that expensive - it's only another $25 - $50 unless you get the really high-powered ones.

Perhaps he should upgrade the heatsink?

Gibran
Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894456
06/14/13 12:09 PM
06/14/13 12:09 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
He did, Winfrey - to the Cooler Master Hyper 212, a good choice.

So, when are you taking the plunge!? grin

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894462
06/14/13 12:16 PM
06/14/13 12:16 PM
The Country
Winfrey Offline
BAAG Specialist
Winfrey  Offline
BAAG Specialist

The Country
Question: Quote
"Another thing you could add is a small SSD to use as a cache drive to really speed things up. eCollegePC will set up the Intel Smart Response Technology."
how does this work?

Soon.....maybe a xmas present... expect to see a cut down version of Build by Winfrey... although GreyFuss has done most of the work

Gibran
Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894468
06/14/13 12:31 PM
06/14/13 12:31 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Check this out... there may be better explanations, but this one is OK.

What is Intel SRT

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894477
06/14/13 12:54 PM
06/14/13 12:54 PM
The Country
Winfrey Offline
BAAG Specialist
Winfrey  Offline
BAAG Specialist

The Country
On GF's build...don't you need a wireless network card?

Gibran
Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: Draclvr] #894478
06/14/13 12:56 PM
06/14/13 12:56 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Hit the buy button and don't forget to use that BLACK FRIDAY discount if you're ordering from eCollegePC! Mike is absolutely great to work with there.

hehe....this configuration came to $1200 even and with the BlackFriday discount $1140 no taxes and free delivery I am happy.

Cable Guy just left after hooking my Super Duper High Speed Internet set up which include wireless routing throughout the house. Look at these speeds...are they good?
69.07mbps Download
5.90mbps Upload

Now I have to go through the ordeal of changing email sad

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894479
06/14/13 12:59 PM
06/14/13 12:59 PM
The Country
Winfrey Offline
BAAG Specialist
Winfrey  Offline
BAAG Specialist

The Country
Those are fantastic... me in the country... I think they have one of the horses delivering my internet.

You still need a card in your computer... right?

Gibran
Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: Winfrey] #894480
06/14/13 01:02 PM
06/14/13 01:02 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Originally Posted By: Winfrey

You still need a card in your computer... right?

I don't think so. He hooked up the modem on this computer and just put a USB receiver upstairs on LittleFuss's computer. Installed some software from a disk and he is now hooked up. Will have to check if my Norton account includes another computer or I will have to use some of the free virus protection for that one.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894482
06/14/13 01:06 PM
06/14/13 01:06 PM
The Country
Winfrey Offline
BAAG Specialist
Winfrey  Offline
BAAG Specialist

The Country
Don't mean to takeover your post GreyFuss... but question Drac.. if I were to go with the Intel SSR my mother board would be like a Asus-Z87 and I would then need 2 hard drives... the second one being like a 64 gb Sanddisc.SDSSDDP? and I did not see an option for them to do the intel SRT connection.

Gibran
Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894491
06/14/13 01:33 PM
06/14/13 01:33 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Why do you need to change your email, Greyfuss? You certainly don't have to because of a new computer. I haven't changed mine through Windows 7 or Windows 8.

GreyFuss doesn't need a wireless network card if he's connecting his new computer to the new router with an ethernet cable. I must have wireless in my computer because my router is 20' away in another room. But I don't use a card; I use USB wireless adapters.

And, ummm... can I come live with you, GreyFuss? I would sell my firstborn for those kinds of speeds!

If your Norton doesn't include another computer, there is always Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, AVG etc. I use Microsoft Security Essentials along with Malwarebytes Pro and it's a great combination.

Winfrey, what your motherboard is depends on what kind of processor you get. EcollegePC is offering the brand new Haswell processors which have a different socket than the Ivy Bridge processors. But if you want to take advantage of the Intel SRT, then, yes, you get the small SSD which is put into a RAID 0 configuration with your hard drive. The software only uses the SSD as a cache drive to store frequently used information to speed things up.

I can't remember who it was, but someone here went with that configuration and through an email with Mike, was told eCollegePC would set it up.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: Draclvr] #894514
06/14/13 02:49 PM
06/14/13 02:49 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

GreyFuss doesn't need a wireless network card if he's connecting his new computer to the new router with an ethernet cable. I must have wireless in my computer because my router is 20' away in another room. But I don't use a card; I use USB wireless adapters.

I really never got into what Routers and such were but I don't have that. All the Cable guy did was put in the new Super High speed modem which has wireless already. He then just put the USB receiver on the upstairs computer and it now has the super speed Internet when it wasn't even hooked up before. He said that I can run any other wireless device in the house like a laptop, Ipad, etc by just using the User ID and password he gave me. Hurray...now I can take my laptop in the back yard and surf the web.

Quote:
And, ummm... can I come live with you, GreyFuss? I would sell my firstborn for those kinds of speeds!
Sure, but you will have to bring loads of tomatos, home made Salsa, chilli and more. And you can keep the first born, just another mouth to feed.

Quote:
If your Norton doesn't include another computer, there is always Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, AVG etc. I use Microsoft Security Essentials along with Malwarebytes Pro and it's a great combination.
Thanks for this as it was my next question

I have to change my email addresses because I no longer use Earthlink as this Super speed Internet is Road Runner and boy is it fast. No more yelling at the computer when I am in a hurry researching.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894522
06/14/13 03:26 PM
06/14/13 03:26 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Ah, I see. Yup, you'll have to change it then. When the time comes, you will have to install an email client on Windows 7. Outlook Express has been upgraded to be Windows Live Mail and is a separate download. Unless you use some other program like Thunderbird...

But, let me know and I can walk you through it! Won't take but a few minutes.

Just came in from walking the 140 tomato plants and they all look very happy!

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: Draclvr] #894545
06/14/13 05:32 PM
06/14/13 05:32 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
But if you want to take advantage of the Intel SRT, then, yes, you get the small SSD which is put into a RAID 0 configuration with your hard drive.

I wouldn't advise using RAID 0. It may be faster, but if either drive has a problem, you lose all the data on both of them.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894553
06/14/13 06:19 PM
06/14/13 06:19 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
When they are set up in Intel SRT, the SSD is not used across both drives like in the normal Raid 0 setup. No data is stored on it. It is strictly used as a cache drive. The SRT manages the SSD differently than if it were in a normal Raid 0 configuration.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894564
06/14/13 07:32 PM
06/14/13 07:32 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Well, I went ahead and did it...Part 3 Build GreyFuss a computer is now complete and ordered. I want to thank each and every one of you for all the help, support and patience you have shown through Parts 1 - 2 & 3. I really had a lot of fun and a lot of learning although the I feel that school will be back in session once the new computer is set up and I have to learn Windows 7. I hope that others who were following the threads silently gleaned some information too.

Thanks all wave thumbsup praise bravo

Intel Core i5-3570 3.4Ghz 6MB Cache Quad-Core |
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Fan/Heatsink |
GIGABYTE GA-Z77-HD3 (Intel Z77, 2xPCI-E, 6xSATA, 4xDDR3) |
8GB (4GBx2) PC3 10666 DDR3 1333Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty |
500GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATA3 6Gbps (Major Brand) |
24X LiteON Label Tag Dual Layer DVD+/-RW DVD-RAM w/Nero |
2GB GeForce GTX 660Ti GDDR5 PCI-E Dual-DVI/HDMI (Major Brand) |
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit |
Corsair White Carbide Series 500R (4 5.25, 6 3.5) 4 Fans, Audio/USB 3.0 |
650watt Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W 80 PLUS CERTIFIED |
Onboard LAN included |
Onboard Sound included |
Wires and Cables neatly tied up away from fans |

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894567
06/14/13 07:44 PM
06/14/13 07:44 PM
The Country
Winfrey Offline
BAAG Specialist
Winfrey  Offline
BAAG Specialist

The Country
bravo dance

Congrat's GreyFuss!! How exciting... a big new toy!
Carol and a friend have win 7 and I was surprised that I did not have as much trouble figuring it out. I think the hardest part for me is they made finding the root of something harder to find... instead of just going to My Documents.. it is something like.. user name\local\roaming\documents...lol you will be pleasantly surprised. Now win 8 is a whole different ball game. :-)

Gibran
Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: Winfrey] #894611
06/15/13 03:44 AM
06/15/13 03:44 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hurrah !!!! And enjoy your new "Beastie" to the max,GreyFuss !! dance dance dance

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894628
06/15/13 07:06 AM
06/15/13 07:06 AM
Virginia
Jema Offline
Adept Boomer
Jema  Offline
Adept Boomer

Virginia
Congratulations, GreyFuss! I've been following all the threads - very interesting
and informative.

Enjoy your new system. wave

Wouldn't that jar your mustard!
Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894678
06/15/13 11:46 AM
06/15/13 11:46 AM
Arizona
InlandAZ Offline
BAAG Specialist
InlandAZ  Offline
BAAG Specialist

Arizona
That should get the job done Greyfuss. About the only thing I'd opt for is a 1 or 2TB hard drive, the price difference is minimal.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894807
06/16/13 07:49 AM
06/16/13 07:49 AM
Michigan
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
InlandAz tell me what you think of my reasoning. I think one should get a small local harddrive,say a 500gb and keeping all the mass storage on a external harddrive with the reasoning that if one would ever get a killer virus that requires a format and start over scenario,it wouldn't take that long and all the important stuff is safe on the external hd.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: InlandAZ] #894818
06/16/13 09:59 AM
06/16/13 09:59 AM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Originally Posted By: InlandAZ
That should get the job done Greyfuss. About the only thing I'd opt for is a 1 or 2TB hard drive, the price difference is minimal.

Thats sounds good InlandAZ, thank you for that advice....I could have used it sooner as I already ordered it on Friday but I emailed Mike at ECollegePC and he made the change and its the weekend. Already I like the service. And you were right, the difference was only $10 for the 1 TB.
thumbsup

@Geo
Interesting question Geo. I am no expert but I always thought that you lose some speed or something through the cable to the external drive or have they advanced in cabling and connections? Or maybe I just didn't understand that technology.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894822
06/16/13 10:13 AM
06/16/13 10:13 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
It's a better option now that there is USB 3.0 and many USB 3.0 external drives. It's a bit of a pain to direct everything you download or install to a separate hard drive, but can be worth it. I have my Windows 7 set up that way. I've reinstalled the OS a couple of different times on the 60 GB SSD boot drive and it's nice to not lose any programs and any of the huge downloads from GOG or Steam.

Even though CyberPower has more options to choose from, one of the reasons I always lean towards eCollegePC is the customer service.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894826
06/16/13 10:24 AM
06/16/13 10:24 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
In ***this thread*** (post #639277) Inland noted that Windows starts to slow down after your drive has less than 40% free space. So unless you expect to use less than 300 GB in the coming years, you should get a larger hard drive than 500GB.

Originally Posted By: Geo
I think one should get a small local harddrive,say a 500gb and keeping all the mass storage on a external harddrive with the reasoning that if one would ever get a killer virus that requires a format and start over scenario,it wouldn't take that long and all the important stuff is safe on the external hd.

If you keep all your stuff on one drive, it isn't backed up. What happens if your external drive fails? It's better to have your stuff in more than one place. And keeping your stuff on an external drive doesn't necessarily prevent it from being infected. Arguably the worst malware is the stuff you don't know about. It could have a time delay from the date of infection, or it could steal personal information rather than causing a performance degradation -- so you could transfer infected files to the external drive without knowing it.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894828
06/16/13 10:37 AM
06/16/13 10:37 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
That's why I've been using Carbonite. It's save my bacon a couple of times.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894831
06/16/13 10:45 AM
06/16/13 10:45 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Carbonite is an alternative backup method if your Internet is reliable and your upload speed is fast enough. At $99 per year per computer, it may be an affordable alternative to a second hard drive or external hard drive.
http://www.carbonite.com/online-backup/pricing-plans/homeplus

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894842
06/16/13 11:54 AM
06/16/13 11:54 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Since all my drives are in my computer, I use the Home option for $59 a year. If I renew for 3 years, they have normally knocked it down to $39 a year. Might not do that next time around though. The initial backup is the only time it takes forever - like 2 weeks for me because my upload speed is dreadful. After that, it's just a minute or two a day.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894856
06/16/13 12:19 PM
06/16/13 12:19 PM
Arizona
InlandAZ Offline
BAAG Specialist
InlandAZ  Offline
BAAG Specialist

Arizona
I don't personally back up my hard drive routinely. I do image it after a fresh install, but that's about it.

Data files, such as spread sheets and word documents are backed up to external drives on a weekly basis (at least on the work PC's). Downloadable content is burned to DVD's and kept in a filing cabinet.

So long as you’ve got the install media for program applications, there’s just no need to backup everything.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894875
06/16/13 01:46 PM
06/16/13 01:46 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I always had good intentions to do all the things you do... Unfortunately, they never seemed to get done! I finally went to the lazy, no brainer "let Carbonite do it" method!

Windows 8 does have a nifty feature called File History that backs up my files to an exterior drive every day. Windows 7 had something similar, but it didn't work nearly as well.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #896661
06/24/13 11:03 AM
06/24/13 11:03 AM
Florida
J
JeanK Offline
Settled Boomer
JeanK  Offline
Settled Boomer
J

Florida
Congratulations, Greyfuss!! I'm looking at early next year to getting my new computer. I got carried away and bought an Ipad the other day which reduced my savings, lol.

I'll be following theses threads up till the time I make my decision. I'm currently looking at the Cyperpower Black Pearl. I really want an Apple iMac, but there still aren't many games out for it. Sigh.

Last edited by JeanK; 06/24/13 12:21 PM.

"So, Holmes. What are we doing now?"
Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #900792
07/12/13 09:33 PM
07/12/13 09:33 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Time for an update for you to know what has been happening since last we spoke. From my first lessons in Part 1: Windows 7 Support & Security Updates ??? to Part 2: Computer Monitors??? , and finally here in Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! The Finale!!!

I must say that, because I have changed everything its like starting all over. From the new computer, new operating system, new wide screen monitor, new super high speed Internet which, btw, is running at 68.29Mbps download & 5.95Mbps upload as we speak, required me to learn a new email program, change all my Email addresses, which required address changes to close to 100 sites I have accounts at. With the new super speed Internet came a free WiFi set up which I knew nothing about so I now have LittleFusses computer, my laptop and one of the XP desktops hooked up to the Internet Wireless in addition to this new one. Of course with that I had to download and install the Free AVG and MalwareBytes on those PC's to make sure they are secure. Updating drivers and seeing if my programs and the printer will work in Windows 7 64 bit.

Let me start off with the monitor...I love it. One of the reasons I wanted at least a 24” was that the height of the screen was not sacrificed for the widescreen aspect. The screen height is about exactly the same as my existing 20” 4:3 I have been using for the last 9 years. And boy...I remember how much I loved the extra desk space when upgrading from the CRT monitor to a flatpanel way back but now, since I have this new monitor mounted to the wall my entire desk is free and clear. The picture on this LED monitor is beautiful, clear and vivid did I say I love it?

This Computer Case is AWESOME!!!! Its fan-tastic and I mean that. This computer has more fans than any other I have owned and......I can't hear a thing. They are virtually silent including the huge 200mm one on the side of the case. These fans do a fantastic job as there is no heat coming from the back of the computer at all. The 2 XP PC's next to it are blasting out warm air while the new PC is silent and cool. Love the blue LED lights showing on the fans through the case also. There is an easily accessible switch on the front to turn them off and on. Didn't think I would like new fangled stuff like that but I was wrong. Inside the case is both massive and beautiful with all the wires away from view. Both side panels remove for easy access. Any upgrades in the future will be easy with all this room. This huge Nvidia 660ti graphics card is a monster compared to the others I have had. I haven't had the chance to put it through any strenuous tasks but that will come with time. It looks like a plumber put it together as there is tubing running through and around it. I have since installed a Sound Card and it was so easy because my big hands fit easily into this case and because the wires are nearly invisible I had no trouble. The surround sound that came on the MotherBoard was very good but didn't have a lot of adjustments like I have been use to. I have been using Creative Labs Soundblaster Cards for a long time and like the adjusting and tuning features. Did I say how much I love this case?

Although I was quite prepared to be frustrated with learning the new Windows 7 64bit OS it has turned out to be painless. Sure, its different to the XP's I have been so use too but I have been surprised at how much easier it has been for me to catch on. I have also been pleasantly surprised that some of my old and trusted software installed and work easily on Windows 7 64bit using just the XP compatibility mode. I thought I would have to spend lots of cash buying new, updated versions of my favorite programs. I couldn't have done this without all of you who helped here, at Game Boomers Glitches Forum. With the suggestions, interest, questions and research from you made for a more confident selection on my part and for this I am truly appreciative. .

Thanks all for your help and interest.
GF

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #900800
07/12/13 10:32 PM
07/12/13 10:32 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
The sounds you hear are Drac jumping up and down and yelling, "Nicely done, Greyfuss! Woo hoo!"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Susie07, 1 invisible), 304 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users