GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Sothink Software #893234
06/09/13 08:56 AM
06/09/13 08:56 AM
Michigan
Geo Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
I downloaded the free version of Sothink's dvd maker.It works fine except that the dvd only plays on a player that is divx compatible. The website says the dvd's will play on any player but I am having trouble with that statement.It isn't the fact that it is the free version because after investigating I found that the only difference is that the paid version removes the watermark that the free version puts on. I am looking for someone who may be familiar with this software and may be able to help me out.I have one player that is divx compatible and one that isn't so the disk only plays on the divx one.I cannot find anything about this problem on the internet so I am kind of stuck.
Edit: To experiment a little more I took the disk over to my neighbors. He has a Blu-ray and a portable dvd player. It didn't work on either one.Neither is divx compatible.

Re: Sothink Software [Re: Geo] #893290
06/09/13 12:24 PM
06/09/13 12:24 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
It sounds like you burned as divx instead of to the format movie DVD's usually use. Burning movies is not something I'm familiar with, so you may want to check the instructions and make sure any divx files are converted to the proper format before burning. I think they're supposed to be .vob files or something.

Re: Sothink Software [Re: Geo] #893292
06/09/13 12:30 PM
06/09/13 12:30 PM
Michigan
Geo Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
Well that sounds reasonable,but I don't know how to change things. I couldn't find anything like that in the tutorial.

Re: Sothink Software [Re: Geo] #893370
06/09/13 07:15 PM
06/09/13 07:15 PM
Alaska
lanlynk Offline
Settled Boomer
lanlynk  Offline
Settled Boomer

Alaska
Originally Posted By: Geo
I couldn't find anything like that in the tutorial.

I've burned DVDs, but not with this software. Are you making backups of movies from other discs or from digital copies? Or are you just trying to put your own videos on discs to share? The processes might be different. In the first instance, you could run into DRM issues.

I took a look at the online help for this product and couldn't see any setting for choosing output format, just disc size. But here is a link to the support page. I guess the thing to do would be contact Sothink Help directly:

Sothink Movie DVD Maker Online Help

Last edited by lanlynk; 06/09/13 07:25 PM.

"Dragons were never gone. They were just invisible and very, very quiet." ~ M'aiq the Liar (Skyrim)
Re: Sothink Software [Re: Geo] #893378
06/09/13 07:37 PM
06/09/13 07:37 PM
Michigan
Geo Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
Hello,
Thanks for the response. I already have a request in but I am also trying to find out on my own because I have not had a good record of getting answers from tech support.

Re: Sothink Software [Re: Geo] #893386
06/09/13 08:51 PM
06/09/13 08:51 PM
Alaska
lanlynk Offline
Settled Boomer
lanlynk  Offline
Settled Boomer

Alaska
Originally Posted By: Geo
... I am also trying to find out on my own because I have not had a good record of getting answers from tech support.

Well, I can certainly understand that. I just recently solved an issue with a game myself while waiting for help. It never came, BTW!

Sorry, not being familiar with your product, I can't be much help.

"Dragons were never gone. They were just invisible and very, very quiet." ~ M'aiq the Liar (Skyrim)
Re: Sothink Software [Re: Geo] #893809
06/11/13 06:29 PM
06/11/13 06:29 PM
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

I am not familiar with Sothink but you do not want anything that gives you a watermark. The paid version is likely your only option. At $35 bucks it pretty cheap regarding video editors/ and producing programs. Before spending any money check out this site.

Video Reviews

I tried at least fifteen programs before settling on the one I have been using for many years (at least five years ) Not only is DVIX hard to use because many players do not recognize the format it lacks the detail of DVD quality.

I am using the top rated one the linked site reviewed. Primarily because the interface is not too difficult to learn. Some are frustrating. I know reviews can be opinionated it was trial and error that had me settle on their top selection.

The Cyber link Power Director allows you to determine which format you wish your end product to be. Anything from DVD quality down to pretty weak formats. It allows you to make slide shows from still pictures to full movies. You can also cut sections from longer videos using clips from several making a greatest hits version of your home videos. You can edit out sound replacing it with home recordings or songs from CDs. You can add sound and video effects supplied with the program. Such as your kids birthday videos you can block several minutes of audio in the video and replace that section only with a prerecorded song or whatever. You can also add typed comments that will show on the screen on your video. The Cyber link also offers several front end menus for your videos. some are neat, some are lame.

I found for most these programs this review site was spot on in their assessment. I will also suggest at least with Cyber link you have the option of burning your project to the hard drive or a disc. I found burning to the hard drive allows reviewing the final project and saves fried discs. Once on the hard drive you can reload your project to make changes if you did not like how the final looked. Most of these video programs can go nuts on you and ruin disc. So burning to hard drive first can save frustration. It allows you to see the end result before burning to disc. You have the option of using any software burning program to burn the final project to the disc instead of using the video creater program for that purpose

Also you need a lot of memory to run any video creator/editor. My older computer with four Gigs of ram took eight hours or more to create a two hour movie. Quite often after running several hours video programs have a tendancy to shut down forcing you to start over. My Win7 pc with 16 gigs of ram that two hour movies burns in twenty minutes.

Make sure you have enough ram it makes a world of difference and can actually run a program that otherwise you could not. Before spending money take a look at the reviews to see what your are getting. Go to the program's website and download their manual if they offer one. The info may help you decide among programs.

Of course no legitimate editor will allow you to copy drm disc. But to create home video and still slide shows these things can do a stellar job. I found the free stuff problematic, water marks, spyware and all kinds of stuff you do not want.

Last edited by oldmariner; 06/11/13 06:36 PM.
Re: Sothink Software [Re: Geo] #893843
06/11/13 10:09 PM
06/11/13 10:09 PM
Michigan
Geo Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
oldmariner: That is my whole point,I don't want to use divx and I am trying to figure out why I am getting that format when the website says otherwise. The watermark is not imbedded throughout but a 7 second ad at the start so its not too bad.I have lots of ram so I will check out that Cyberlink.

Re: Sothink Software [Re: Geo] #894374
06/14/13 02:52 AM
06/14/13 02:52 AM
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Geo

I got that you did not want DVIX I don't blame you. Personally I prefer DVD quality, though I have not tried blueray. I'm guessing it is better but DVD quality is good enough for me.

What I like about the Cyberlink is the ability to cut and splice pieces of video and create "movies" with snipits taken from many other sources.

I once took a mountain climbing video where I had gone alone and edited in my hiking buddies voice answering questions I had asked in the original. I was able to paste the audio of his voice to the video soundtract so the finished video made it appear he was there answering me. When I finally showed it to him a year after the hike. It drove him crazy because he could not remember being there. Of course he wasn't.

I have thousands of slides and this program allows you to create slide shows and add music and sound effects along with fancy fade ins between slides. When burned to dvd format they look great on your tv.

Be sure to read all the reviews on that site I linked because you may find one that offers stuff better suited to your needs. Quite a few of those reviewed allow downloads of program trials. some the last I looked allowed downloads of the full program features.

A big part of picking one is the program's interface. Some are not too easy to use others are. For me the Cyber link was the most intuitive that may not be true for you.

Last edited by oldmariner; 06/14/13 02:55 AM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Orion, oldbroad, manxman, curly, jboliver), 258 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users