GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage    
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#894434 - 06/14/13 10:56 AM Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

Loc: In Missouri near St. Louis
Overkill is not a bad thing, Winfrey! Perhaps we should ask Mrs. GreyFuss!

#894439 - 06/14/13 11:06 AM Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss]
GreyFuss Offline
Addicted Boomer

I think you may be right Miss Winfrey. Also I see you have a place to lay down next to your computer when you get tired.

Draclvr
Thank you for the links, most helpful especially the last one. And keeping in mind what InlandAZ said in Part 2 Monitors "Find one with the highest memory bandwidth and a minimum of 2GB of VRAM" there seems to be a lot more with the 660Ti. I leaning on going ahead with Massive as opposed to just plain old ordinary Overkill. And thinking about what LittleFuss and what he may want to try in the coming years I think more is better and I wont have to post in Glitches asking why something won't play. besides its only about $100 difference. Lets see if it where 1970 that would only be about $10.

Now if there aren't any more surprises from Draclvr. I still would be looking for more suggestions and opinions. This is what I have so far...What do you think?

Quote:
Intel Core i5-3570 3.4Ghz 6MB Cache Quad-Core |
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Fan/Heatsink |
GIGABYTE GA-Z77-HD3 (Intel Z77, 2xPCI-E, 6xSATA, 4xDDR3) |
8GB (4GBx2) PC3 10666 DDR3 1333Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty |
500GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATA3 6Gbps (Major Brand) |
24X LiteON Label Tag Dual Layer DVD+/-RW DVD-RAM w/Nero |
2GB GeForce GTX 660Ti GDDR5 PCI-E Dual-DVI/HDMI (Major Brand) |
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit |
Corsair White Carbide Series 500R (4 5.25, 6 3.5) 4 Fans, Audio/USB 3.0 |
650watt Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W 80 PLUS CERTIFIED |
Onboard LAN included |
Onboard Sound included |
Wires and Cables neatly tied up away from fans |
3 Year Parts and Labor Warranty

#894448 - 06/14/13 11:52 AM Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

Hit the buy button and don't forget to use that BLACK FRIDAY discount if you're ordering from eCollegePC! Mike is absolutely great to work with there.

#894454 - 06/14/13 12:06 PM Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: Draclvr]
Winfrey Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: The Country
Originally Posted By: Draclvr
Posting at the same time, I see! And the heatsink upgrades aren't all that expensive - it's only another $25 - $50 unless you get the really high-powered ones.

Perhaps he should upgrade the heatsink?

#894456 - 06/14/13 12:09 PM Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

He did, Winfrey - to the Cooler Master Hyper 212, a good choice.

So, when are you taking the plunge!? grin

#894462 - 06/14/13 12:16 PM Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss]
Winfrey Offline
Addicted Boomer

Question: Quote
"Another thing you could add is a small SSD to use as a cache drive to really speed things up. eCollegePC will set up the Intel Smart Response Technology."
how does this work?

Soon.....maybe a xmas present... expect to see a cut down version of Build by Winfrey... although GreyFuss has done most of the work

#894468 - 06/14/13 12:31 PM Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

Check this out... there may be better explanations, but this one is OK.

What is Intel SRT

#894477 - 06/14/13 12:54 PM Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss]
Winfrey Offline
Addicted Boomer

On GF's build...don't you need a wireless network card?

#894478 - 06/14/13 12:56 PM Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: Draclvr]
GreyFuss Offline
Addicted Boomer

Hit the buy button and don't forget to use that BLACK FRIDAY discount if you're ordering from eCollegePC! Mike is absolutely great to work with there.

hehe....this configuration came to $1200 even and with the BlackFriday discount $1140 no taxes and free delivery I am happy.

Cable Guy just left after hooking my Super Duper High Speed Internet set up which include wireless routing throughout the house. Look at these speeds...are they good?
69.07mbps Download
5.90mbps Upload

Now I have to go through the ordeal of changing email sad

#894479 - 06/14/13 12:59 PM Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss]
Winfrey Offline
Addicted Boomer

Those are fantastic... me in the country... I think they have one of the horses delivering my internet.

You still need a card in your computer... right?

#894480 - 06/14/13 01:02 PM Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: Winfrey]
GreyFuss Offline
Addicted Boomer

Originally Posted By: Winfrey

You still need a card in your computer... right?

I don't think so. He hooked up the modem on this computer and just put a USB receiver upstairs on LittleFuss's computer. Installed some software from a disk and he is now hooked up. Will have to check if my Norton account includes another computer or I will have to use some of the free virus protection for that one.

#894482 - 06/14/13 01:06 PM Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss]
Winfrey Offline
Addicted Boomer

Don't mean to takeover your post GreyFuss... but question Drac.. if I were to go with the Intel SSR my mother board would be like a Asus-Z87 and I would then need 2 hard drives... the second one being like a 64 gb Sanddisc.SDSSDDP? and I did not see an option for them to do the intel SRT connection.

#894491 - 06/14/13 01:33 PM Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

Why do you need to change your email, Greyfuss? You certainly don't have to because of a new computer. I haven't changed mine through Windows 7 or Windows 8.

GreyFuss doesn't need a wireless network card if he's connecting his new computer to the new router with an ethernet cable. I must have wireless in my computer because my router is 20' away in another room. But I don't use a card; I use USB wireless adapters.

And, ummm... can I come live with you, GreyFuss? I would sell my firstborn for those kinds of speeds!

If your Norton doesn't include another computer, there is always Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, AVG etc. I use Microsoft Security Essentials along with Malwarebytes Pro and it's a great combination.

Winfrey, what your motherboard is depends on what kind of processor you get. EcollegePC is offering the brand new Haswell processors which have a different socket than the Ivy Bridge processors. But if you want to take advantage of the Intel SRT, then, yes, you get the small SSD which is put into a RAID 0 configuration with your hard drive. The software only uses the SSD as a cache drive to store frequently used information to speed things up.

I can't remember who it was, but someone here went with that configuration and through an email with Mike, was told eCollegePC would set it up.

#894514 - 06/14/13 02:49 PM Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: Draclvr]
GreyFuss Offline
Addicted Boomer

GreyFuss doesn't need a wireless network card if he's connecting his new computer to the new router with an ethernet cable. I must have wireless in my computer because my router is 20' away in another room. But I don't use a card; I use USB wireless adapters.

I really never got into what Routers and such were but I don't have that. All the Cable guy did was put in the new Super High speed modem which has wireless already. He then just put the USB receiver on the upstairs computer and it now has the super speed Internet when it wasn't even hooked up before. He said that I can run any other wireless device in the house like a laptop, Ipad, etc by just using the User ID and password he gave me. Hurray...now I can take my laptop in the back yard and surf the web.

Quote:
And, ummm... can I come live with you, GreyFuss? I would sell my firstborn for those kinds of speeds!
Sure, but you will have to bring loads of tomatos, home made Salsa, chilli and more. And you can keep the first born, just another mouth to feed.

Quote:
If your Norton doesn't include another computer, there is always Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, AVG etc. I use Microsoft Security Essentials along with Malwarebytes Pro and it's a great combination.
Thanks for this as it was my next question

I have to change my email addresses because I no longer use Earthlink as this Super speed Internet is Road Runner and boy is it fast. No more yelling at the computer when I am in a hurry researching.

#894522 - 06/14/13 03:26 PM Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

Ah, I see. Yup, you'll have to change it then. When the time comes, you will have to install an email client on Windows 7. Outlook Express has been upgraded to be Windows Live Mail and is a separate download. Unless you use some other program like Thunderbird...

But, let me know and I can walk you through it! Won't take but a few minutes.

Just came in from walking the 140 tomato plants and they all look very happy!

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  InlandAZ, Jenny100 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
14 registered (BobH, Coreoverload, ramona, looney4labs, Pandora, Marian, bermag45, Innervision, cailyn, connie), 78 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Newest Members
ViktorTheBoar, ryan_khatam, BabyBloomer, denton9, TheProphet
8567 Registered Users