GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
The Adventure Shop Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#894770 - 06/15/13 09:41 PM Re: Ripper [Re: gameho]
sanford Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Hicksville, NY USA
Hi fellow Boomers,
I have the original boxed version of RIPPER. The last time I played it, it was on my old WIN 98 computer. I'm going to try to install and play it on my WIN XP computer. I'll let you know what happens after I try it.
"Nothing ventured, nothing gained" LOL
Sandy

#894776 - 06/15/13 11:00 PM Re: Ripper [Re: gameho]
cazziejoe Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: New York
Funny I just got it here,
Anyone ever get this running in Windows 7'
caz

#894779 - 06/15/13 11:21 PM Re: Ripper [Re: gameho]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
If you want to try running the original version on XP, check Inferno's Setup Instructions
http://home.earthlink.net/~infernofilecabinet4/XpSetupsP_T/Ripper_Setup.htm

Note that it's very important to use the v1.03 patch (the larger patch) and not just the more recent v1.05 patch.

#895454 - 06/18/13 09:03 PM Re: Ripper [Re: Jenny100]
sanford Offline
Settled Boomer

Hi fellow Boomers,
I have the original boxed version and after three days, I finally got this game running well on my WIN XP PC. I followed Inferno's solution to getting it up and running, but without success. The game kept crashing and I had to manually shut down my computer because it "froze" after the game crash. I then found, doing a search, a link to "Metzomagic.com" run by "Steve". After following HIS solution, I finally was able to play the game in DOSBOX. He also had the links to the two patches needed to install and play the game.One thing he didn't mention that I read in the Patch Readme.txt in the game directory is that you have to start the game wth (in Dosbox 0.74), C:\Ripper "enter" and then the following: RIPPER /1 /v3 or the game WILL freeze.
You also have to know how to "mount" your cd drive in Dosbox and THEN start the game. Without this knowledge, you won't be able to play the game.
To find "Steve"s site, I googled "Ripper and Win XP".
I hope I have been of some help.
Sandy

Edited by sanford (06/18/13 09:08 PM)
Edit Reason: misspelling

#895463 - 06/18/13 10:11 PM Re: Ripper [Re: gameho]
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Global Moderator PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

Loc: In the Naughty Corner
Since the majority of this thread has become a topic of installation and running I will move this to Glitches.

#895474 - 06/18/13 11:31 PM Re: Ripper [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
sanford Offline
Settled Boomer

Thanks Browneyedtigre,

i hope my input has helped some of our frustrated Boomers in getting Ripper to work for them. It took me "ONLY" three days of research to "get it right". HAPY GAMING!
Sandy

#895524 - 06/19/13 08:24 AM Re: Ripper [Re: gameho]
Jenny100 Offline
Sonic Boomer

The Metzomagic setup is ***here***.
His setup uses DOSBox as well as the two patches.
Quote:
Then to run Ripper (make sure you are still in DOSBox) and execute:

ripper.exe /v /v3

That's it :-) Just for the record, the various VESA-related parameters are:

/V force 480 line mode
/V1 disable support for VESA 2.0
/V2 disable use of protected mode bank switching code
/V3 disable both

So Metzomagic's setup forces 480 line mode and disables VESA 2.0 and protected mode bank switching.

The reason games like Ripper from around 1995 used VESA 2.0 features was to make them "look" better. Modern video cards that use VESA 3.0 don't support undocumented VESA 2.0 features, even though they're considered "VESA compatible."

Inferno's setup uses VDMSound and a VESA 2.0 driver. Maybe the VESA 2.0 driver doesn't work in XP SP3 the way it did in the original XP. If you were able to get Inferno's setup to work, it might look better if you're playing full screen. But if you're playing in a window instead of full screen, you might not see much difference.

There is another Ripper how-to at VOGONS which uses both DOSBox and a different VESA driver from the one Inferno used.
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=20409
As the last poster there found out, you don't get any "high resolution" option when you disable the VESA support using RIPPER.EXE /v /v3

#895545 - 06/19/13 09:05 AM Re: Ripper [Re: gameho]
GreyFuss Offline
Addicted Boomer

Interesting, Thanks Jenny100, the Vesa question would be a good one to ask the seller at Ebay

#895607 - 06/19/13 03:35 PM Re: Ripper [Re: Jenny100]
sanford Offline
Settled Boomer

Hi again, Jenny
The way Ripper is playing in Dosbox looks very good to me. It's not "jerky" at all, and it IS in Full Screen as well.
BTW, I have the "uncensored" version. Lucky ME. LOL
Sandy

#895646 - 06/19/13 05:58 PM Re: Ripper [Re: sanford]
GreyFuss Offline
Addicted Boomer

Originally Posted By: sanford
I have the "uncensored" version. Lucky ME. LOL
Sandy
Another good question for the seller

#895658 - 06/19/13 07:19 PM Re: Ripper [Re: gameho]
Jenny100 Offline
Sonic Boomer

Sanford,
I wouldn't expect it to be "jerky" on a modern computer. The VOGONS thread I linked to was from 2006, almost 7 years ago.

How it looks is another matter. But unless you saw Ripper played with the VESA-disabled option side by side with the VESA-enabled option, I'm not sure you could tell a difference. And a tiny improvement in the graphics might not be worth the bother of getting a VESA driver working anyway. If it looks good to you, that's what matters most.

#895717 - 06/19/13 11:28 PM Re: Ripper [Re: Jenny100]
sanford Offline
Settled Boomer

Thanks, Jenny. After all that "work" to get the game working well, I'm really satisfied with the results. The first time I played this game, it was on my WIN 95 or WIN 98 computer MANY moons ago. There was NO DOSBOX then. (No cell phones,EITHER) LOL!
Sandy

#895782 - 06/20/13 08:47 AM Re: Ripper [Re: gameho]
Jenny100 Offline
Sonic Boomer

Same here. I played it on my Win 98 computer using a desktop shortcut that rebooted to DOS mode. It wouldn't work in Windows -- not on my computer anyway.

#896148 - 06/21/13 06:22 PM Re: Ripper [Re: gameho]
oldman Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Lost in the Arizona Desert
Well the game finally arrived. It installed from the DVD with no hitches. I started the game and played through the intro and every thing is fine. Looks like the game is going to be great.

It is still a DOS game but the installer takes care of everything for you. Graphics, of course, are not what they are today but that's to be expected.

The seller, Chris Newman, seems very sincere in his guarantee and sent me a letter of instructions and said to contact him if I had any problems/questions as that was part of his guarantee.

He also sent along with it a DVD to install Harvester as a Bonus.

All in all I am very pleased.

Funny I don't remember being absent minded.

John

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  InlandAZ, Jenny100 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
10 registered (auntiegram, Iurii, traveler, gymcandy1, stevefox, Koala, escakacs, 3 invisible), 66 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Moonbat, kooker1957, ctillis, GreenBoat, Spidermna133
8496 Registered Users