GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! #893803
06/11/13 05:57 PM
06/11/13 05:57 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Part 3: Build Me A New Computer!!!

bravo At Last! Now for the fun part. I hope to learn even more than I did in Parts 1 & 2.

Keeping in mind the results of Part 1 ... Windows 7, Home Premium 64 Bit & Part 2 ... ASUS VG248QE 24-Inch Screen LED Monitor, Lets build GreyFuss a computer.

First, before the details, a question...Which place is preferable?

EcollegePC or CyberPowerPC somewhere else?

Now onto some of the things I think I want/need...

* I am not looking for a budget configuration, nor am I looking to break the bank. I would hope this PC will last past the 2020 Windows 7 support expiration date and not have to be constantly upgrading because I choose to save a few dollars now. Its one of those, you can pay me now or pay me later things. I rather pay it now.

* I play mostly Adventure games but that doesn’t mean that my 6 year old Grandson might want to play an action game or flight simulator. I won’t let him play the shoot-em up, bloody zombie stuff but I don’t mind him dropping a few bombs from planes on unsuspecting people or strafing a convoy LOL.

* I do like to do some Photo editing and just a little grapic design for fun.

* I do a lot of Internet research and do downloading, in fact, for this new PC, I just ordered a super fast Internet through my Cable company, 60mbps download, 5mbps upload so I would want any new configuration be powerful enough to handle that if that makes sense.

*Don’t need any Mice, Keyboards or Monitor (See Part 2)

* Big enough case to allow for any future upgrades, air circulation and enough space extra fans to never have a heating problem but not so many as to alert the Air Traffic Controllers.

* Speedy Processor

* I am old school about Hardrive space so I don’t keep a lot of unnecessary stuff. For example I have 320 GB now but have 195GB free. So that being said at least a 500GB fast Hard Drive

* Load me up with RAM, 8GB of the fastest type memory????

* Beefy Power Supply, Plenty enough for this configuration and enough for any potential upgrades in the future. Would rather have too much Power than just enough.

* I like Nvidia Graphics cards. Would like one that would have no problems with the most demanding Adventure games with all settings set to high and also powerful enough to play some not so intensive action games and have plenty of onboard memory and fan..I think

* Fast DVD/CD Optical drive that will do it all like read and write dual layer.and Rewritables

* Sound Card, of course. I have a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi now

dance So lets have some fun and Build my computer

"Don't Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful...There Are Many Other Reasons!"
Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893806
06/11/13 06:06 PM
06/11/13 06:06 PM
M
mj2c Offline
Addicted Boomer
mj2c  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

For what you use a comp for you dont seem to really need a powerful system. Am I missing summat here?

I would advise don't spend a lot of dosh on setup that has the power you wont use because computers depreciate in value rather rapidly.

Lol, just reread this and I sound like a bit of a killjoy. Sorry about that:-)

Last edited by mj2c; 06/11/13 06:07 PM.
Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: mj2c] #893823
06/11/13 07:38 PM
06/11/13 07:38 PM
Creeping_Doom Offline
Settled Boomer
Creeping_Doom  Offline
Settled Boomer

Your budget terms are a bit vague , but here goes . Ecollege has very good ratings , slightly better than Cyberpower , but. , Cyberpower has a much better selection of parts . An AMD based system will cost less than an Intel based system . Personal preferences being what they are . If you utilize your current keyboard , mouse , you will potentially save a couple hundred dollars . If you decide to purchase a sound card , make it an Asus Xonar or HT Omega . Both sound vastly better than anything Creative . The sound quality is better , the drivers are less bloated , & customer/driver support & updates are better & more frequent . A set of good speakers will bring out the best in a sound card. A headset may factor in as well if you prefer . A good stereo headset from Razer or Logitech would be a good choice . Maybe even a trip to a local Best Buy or a place like that could produce a good headset choice .

So many options or directions to go . I would say this though . Based on what you have already stated , I would wager that a nice rig could be built around $800-$1200 (AMD based) . Add approximately $200-$400 for an Intel based rig .

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893825
06/11/13 07:57 PM
06/11/13 07:57 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Online content
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Online Content
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I like the "build your computer" at eCollegePC and the personal service, but I'm sure that CyberPower would also build you a great PC. I would just go to each website and play around.

Just for fun, I put this one together at eCollegePC for $1,155. I didn't add a separate sound card because the on-board sound on the new motherboards is really excellent. You can always do that too. This is very similar to the computer upgrade I just did a couple of weeks ago. I did a lot of research on the Core i5 3570 vs. a Core i7 and all the benchmarks at Tom's Hardware give it a "best bang for the buck" CPU. If you look at a CPU with a K behind the number, that just means it's unlocked for overclocking. I got a 3 GB Superclocked GeForce 660Ti and 8 GB of RAM. And I am playing some of the latest shooters on high settings with nary a hiccup. I got Metro Last Light as a freebie with the video card and it's rumored to make many video cards weep. My 660Ti is rocking this game...

In this quest, you should also get a very cool case you will love. I grabbed this Storm Scout, but they have many other ones. Get one with adequate fans. Storm Scout Newegg Reviews

Another thing you could add is a small SSD to use as a cache drive to really speed things up. eCollegePC will set up the Intel Smart Response Technology.

Intel Core i5-3570 3.4 Ghz 6MB Cache Quad-Core Stock Intel LGA1155 Heatsink and Fan
GIGABYTE GA-Z77-HD3 (Intel Z77, 2xPCI-E, 6xSATA, 4xDDR3)
8GB (4GBx2) PC3 10666 DDR3 1333Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty
500GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATA3 6Gbps (Major Brand)
24X LiteON Label Tag Dual Layer DVD+/-RW DVD-RAM w/Nero
2GB GeForce GTX 660Ti GDDR5 PCI-E Dual-DVI/HDMI (Major Brand)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
CoolerMaster Black Storm Scout (5 5.25, 5 3.5) 2 Fans, Audio/USB/eSATA
650watt Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W 80 PLUS CERTIFIED
Onboard LAN included
Onboard Sound included
Wires and Cables neatly tied up away from fans
3 Year Parts and Labor Warranty

Edit: Good thoughts on the sound card, Creeping Doom. An Asus Xonar is a mere extra $99 for this rig.

Last edited by Draclvr; 06/11/13 08:14 PM.

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: Draclvr] #893837
06/11/13 09:13 PM
06/11/13 09:13 PM
Creeping_Doom Offline
Settled Boomer
Creeping_Doom  Offline
Settled Boomer

Much appreciated , Draclvr . Speaking from personal experience , I can attest to the sound quality of an Asus Xonar DX . I have it's "big brother" , the Xonar D2X . I have coupled that with a set of Klipsch ProMmedia Ultra 5.1 speakers . Lots of volume to make the neighbors angry ! :-) Not a bad setup at all that you have listed !

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893839
06/11/13 09:29 PM
06/11/13 09:29 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Online content
Draclvr  Online Content
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
It's just a starting point. I am lusting over your sound setup!

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: Draclvr] #893842
06/11/13 09:48 PM
06/11/13 09:48 PM
Creeping_Doom Offline
Settled Boomer
Creeping_Doom  Offline
Settled Boomer

Originally Posted By: Draclvr
It's just a starting point. I am lusting over your sound setup!

That's only a part of it . I actually have another 5.1 speaker set , the Logitec Z5500 . I think I have a 2.1 speaker set in my closet as well . My current headphones are the Sony MDR V6 . I have 3 other sound cards also .

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893845
06/11/13 10:39 PM
06/11/13 10:39 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Online content
Draclvr  Online Content
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Can I come live with you! I have a Logitech Z523 sound system and it's pretty good, but you have me beat by a long way!

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893848
06/11/13 11:18 PM
06/11/13 11:18 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

yay Oh Boy...this is really fun I am having a blast looking into the details on every device.

Thanks for all your interest and input. It gives me different angles & perspectives to look at and different research for learning.

I love the fact that there is a "View Details" button at ECollegePC which opens up a separate window that takes you to the manufactures site get get exactly the details on a device chosen. I don't see this great feature or a way to do it at CyberPower. In fact I like the whole way to configure it page at ECollege. Its just so easy to see and choose. Especially with the drop down menus.

Question:
Do you get all manuals, paperwork, disks, spare parts/cables or boxes for each device you choose? I have never looked at manual for a Mother Board but I was easily able to see the one for Draclvr's suggested board above from the "View Details" button at ECollege.

* Putting more thought into your suggestions and because Draclvr stating that Mother Boards and the one she suggested put out decent sound now a days. I am leaning towards no Sound Card, at least not at this time. I am not as much into sound as I once was, besides my once excellent hearing is certainly not what it use to be but I do like to pick up good separation that surround provides. My system was the best that Dell offered at the time years ago and they do fine for me still [url=Oh Boy...this is really fun I am having a blast looking into the details on every device. Thanks for all your interest and input. It gives me different angles & perspectives to look at and different research for learning. I love the fact that there is a "View Details" button at ECollegePC which opens up a separate window that takes you to the manufactures site get get exactly the details on a device chosen. I don't see this great feature or a way to do it at CyberPower. In fact I like the whole way to configure it page at ECollege. Its just so easy to see and choose. Especially with the drop down menus. Question: Do you get all manuals, paperwork, disks, spare parts/cables or boxes for each device you choose? I have never looked at manual for a Mother Board but I was easily able to see the one for Draclvr's suggested board above from the "View Details" button at ECollege. Putting more thought into your suggestions and because Draclvr stating that Mother Boards and the one she suggested put out decent sound now a days. I am leaning towards no Sound Card, at not at this time. I am not as much into sound as I once was, besides my once excellent hearing is certainly not what it use to be but I do like to pick up good separation that surround provides. My system was the best that Dell offered at the time years ago and they do fine for me still, Altec Lansing ADA995 THX Speakers, and they will hook up perfectly to the Mother Board Jacks. Looking at the Mother Board Manual it looks like the software for the sound system is very user friendly. Later, if I don't care for the sound it is really easy to add a Sound Card then.

* That Graphic Card looks Awesome! and look at the connections, something for everyone.
1 Dual Link DVD-I
1 Dual Link DVD-D
1 HDMI
1 Display Port

* On the Lite On Optical Drive I can't find what "Label Tag" means in its title. Also in its specs it doesn't list Win 7 just XP and Vista. Is it simply a matter of an update for Win 7?

* That Case is also Awesome. Maybe I am showing my age but why must they always be black...I hate dusting. duh

Keep it coming...I think I have goose bumps lol

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893850
06/11/13 11:25 PM
06/11/13 11:25 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Online content
Draclvr  Online Content
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Click on some of the other cases - there are white ones too. Make sure you pick a really cool one!

That's the good thing about having one built for you like this - you get ALL the disks, cables etc. as though you were building it yourself. No more creating backup disks or recovery disks - YOU own the Windows 7 DVD and all the driver disks for the motherboard etc. In fact, you may have a pile of stuff. Very few components come with manuals any more - they are either included as a PDF on the driver disk or you get them from the manufacturer's website.

I'd have to look at that with the optical drive - I may have goofed up on the editing. Optical drives are plug and play - no worries about compatibility with any operating system.

A sound card and more RAM and other options are something you can always add later if you want.

Someone else may come up with an even better combination of components for you...

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893852
06/11/13 11:32 PM
06/11/13 11:32 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

LOL...just so many choices with the cases. What I like about the one you chose is there are 4 USB (2.0 or 3.0?) Ports right on the front top.

I am still looking at all the options so please keep all suggestions coming.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893856
06/12/13 12:24 AM
06/12/13 12:24 AM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

What is a eSATA Port, what is it for and why would you need it on the front of the case? Apevia Case

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893860
06/12/13 12:56 AM
06/12/13 12:56 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Online content
Draclvr  Online Content
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
It's an exterior connection for a SATA hard drive or other peripheral. With the advent of USB 3.0, I don't know how useful they really are. I've never used mine...

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893873
06/12/13 03:44 AM
06/12/13 03:44 AM
Michigan
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
I prefer Cyberpower myself but you have to be aware of one thing,they seem to consider liquid cooled the norm now. So if you want a fan cooled cpu you actually have to choose it as a liquid cooled is standard.I always learn a lot when I visit their site.I also really like getting all the disks as mentioned before.When I choose a case I try to make sure some usb ports are available on the front.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: Geo] #893899
06/12/13 07:50 AM
06/12/13 07:50 AM
Creeping_Doom Offline
Settled Boomer
Creeping_Doom  Offline
Settled Boomer

Liquid cooling for a cpu is more quiet than air cooling , and does a better job for those out there who are major overclockers . I'm sure that doesn't apply here . Liquid cooling is quite safe , & depending on the setup , comparable in cost .

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893935
06/12/13 10:44 AM
06/12/13 10:44 AM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Who would have thought that the most time consuming aspect of Part 3 is choosing a Case? And of course the one I most like visually at ECollege is one of the most expensive....Good Grief slapforehead

Corsair Graphite Series 600T Special Edition White
The above Corsair also has a feature that I always thought was a good idea but never ask anyones opinions on it. It has filters on the intake fans and also for the PSU to help filter out dust before entering the case. Any opinions on having Case filters...good, bad?

In addition to the one Draclvr sugested I also like this one but I am going to have to go over all my options again. Also so far I have only been playing at ECollege so next up I am going to play over at CyberPower.

CM Storm Enforcer

EDIT:
Is it advisable to upgrade from any stock Intel Heatsink/fan?

Last edited by GreyFuss; 06/12/13 12:06 PM.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893955
06/12/13 12:27 PM
06/12/13 12:27 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Online content
Draclvr  Online Content
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Go to Newegg and read user reviews about the cases to see what people think of them. Definitely go for the fan filters - they really help with the dust intake. My Antec 900 doesn't have them and I have to open up the case and blow it out at least every 3 months.

That Corsair Graphite series is very cool looking and also very highly rated. Personally, I find picking out a case I love to be the most fun part!

I don't upgrade from the stock heatsinks and my CPU always runs nice and cool. If you overclock, then you definitely need to upgrade. But if you don't plan on overclocking, it's more of a personal preference.

I notice eCollegePC still has the 5% discount if you enter BLACKFRIDAY at checkout.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893956
06/12/13 12:28 PM
06/12/13 12:28 PM
Creeping_Doom Offline
Settled Boomer
Creeping_Doom  Offline
Settled Boomer

It is always advisable to use an aftermarket heatsink/fan . They do a better job of cooling . I like the cooler master case myself . As for a dust filter for the psu , that is a good idea . It would definitely come in handy if the psu was mounted with the fan facing down . With the fan facing up , not a whole lot you can do .

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893960
06/12/13 12:31 PM
06/12/13 12:31 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Online content
Draclvr  Online Content
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Posting at the same time, I see! And the heatsink upgrades aren't all that expensive - it's only another $25 - $50 unless you get the really high-powered ones.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #893970
06/12/13 12:51 PM
06/12/13 12:51 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Quote:
That Corsair Graphite series is very cool looking and also very highly rated.
And not only does it filter the dust but you don't notice it as much on the white Case thumbsup The fan speed dial looks to be very handy but I am not sure...what do you-all think about it?

Quote:
Draclvr
Personally, I find picking out a case I love to be the most fun part!
I have seen you talk about cases alot here in the past and I knew you enjoyed it. I get the feeling that even though a case might have much more room for options I won't need it still helps in air circulation.

Quote:
Draclvr
I don't upgrade from the stock heatsinks and my CPU always runs nice and cool. If you overclock, then you definitely need to upgrade. But if you don't plan on overclocking, it's more of a personal preference.

Quote:
Creeping_Doom
It is always advisable to use an aftermarket heatsink/fan . They do a better job of cooling . I like the cooler master case myself . As for a dust filter for the psu , that is a good idea . It would definitely come in handy if the psu was mounted with the fan facing down . With the fan facing up , not a whole lot you can do

Quote:
Draclvr
I see! And the heatsink upgrades aren't all that expensive - it's only another $25 - $50 unless you get the really high-powered ones.

Yes it is inexpensive and I guess it could only help right?

Quote:
Draclvr
I notice eCollegePC still has the 5% discount if you enter BLACKFRIDAY at checkout.

Oh boy, thanks for this info, might make it easier to accept the Corsair Case with the 5% extra money.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894089
06/12/13 11:03 PM
06/12/13 11:03 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

After researching the Corsair Graphite some more I didn't realize how massive in size it is and will have to choose something else. This is getting to be harder than I thought especially after playing around over at CyberPower. I would really like more opinions from all of you on system components and/or whole computer configuration. Others suggestions on cases would be great and any more input as to why some of you prefer CyberPower over ECollege and vice versa would be helpful.
HELP I am drowning in information

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894092
06/12/13 11:20 PM
06/12/13 11:20 PM
Creeping_Doom Offline
Settled Boomer
Creeping_Doom  Offline
Settled Boomer

As perhaps you noticed , Cyberpower has a better selection of parts to choose from . Better , in that it is more varied . How about this case : Coolermaster HAF 912

Looksxlike a nice enough case , although it would need a side fan and top fan .

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894098
06/13/13 12:42 AM
06/13/13 12:42 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Online content
Draclvr  Online Content
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
If you are looking at a mid-tower case, it is definitely going to be MUCH bigger than what you're used to. The Graphite series isn't all that much bigger than most other mid-tower cases. But a decent video card can be quite large and may not even fit into a small case.

Personally, I'd just pick out a case that appeals to you and go from there. The choices out there are dizzying for sure. You just have to pick a budget and go from there. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to get one built for around $1000 that will last you for a very long time.

I always tell people the first step is to decide what your budget it and then go from there.

Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894138
06/13/13 07:23 AM
06/13/13 07:23 AM
The Country
Winfrey Offline
BAAG Specialist
Winfrey  Offline
BAAG Specialist

The Country
I don't know a lot about cases GreyFuss...but with the Googling I have done I really like that. Corsair that you picked out...I think I would deal wilth the weight considering all that it has and how roomie it is :-)

Would that I could be the peacemaker in your soul that I might turn the discord and the rivalry of your elements into oneness and melody
Gibran
Re: Part 3: Build GreyFuss a Computer!!! [Re: GreyFuss] #894155
06/13/13 08:34 AM
06/13/13 08:34 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I like the Corsair too.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (oldbroad, manxman), 241 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users