So, I got my gas and electric bill. It was DOUBLE what it was last month. So I tried to think what the heck I was using double of to make it so much higher. Went to our local SDGE website where they graph each day of usage so you can see it immediately. May 28th, my electricity usage shot up from 9kwh a day to 25kwh a day! AND it stayed up there until June 16th when surprise, surprise, I had the sump pump problem fixed. Oh yes! Now I know, that the pump had been working 24/7 for all those days, which also explains why the switch burned out!
Oh, how mad I am at those tenants. They can HEAR the pump running inside the bedroom and they never said a thing. Would have been great if they said, 'hey, the pump thing seems to be running and running all day and night'. Nope. Not a word until I discover the malfunction.
The only good thing is that the pump itself must be a grand thing because it's working just fine even after being ON all that time. 20 days of constant running, a lot of the time with NO water in it and it keeps on ticking. Wow!
400 bucks later and the purchase of a 'spare' switch, just in case, and all is well.
So I'm going to finish typing my little 'nasty note' to them and will resist the urge to staple it to their foreheads.