GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Saving problem with "Pompeii: Legend of Vesuvius" (aka Timescape) DVD [Re: Andiox] #1110419
05/14/17 11:40 AM
05/14/17 11:40 AM
The Netherlands
R
RichAlexis Offline OP
Settled Boomer
RichAlexis  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
R

The Netherlands
Hi Andiox,

I tried to install the game (from my multilingual single DVD) on my Windows 8.1 desktop, and I get the exact same error message. The Setup.exe couldn't copy the *.bdl, *.dll and install.exe files to C:\Windows\Temp, whatever compatibility options I tried, such as set Setup to Administrator rights, and change the compatibility mode to Windows 98/Windows ME.

I then tried to manually copy all *.bdl and *.dll files from the installation directory on the disk to C:\Windows\Temp, but while this worked, it broke down at attempts to install the 'install.exe' to Temp. When I had copied it manually, the installation failed, because the program again tried to overwrite 'install.exe'.

I then followed Iurii's instructions, and they worked perfectly! Thanks, Iurii! thumbsup

I copied all the files from the DVD straight to a C-directory, copied the 'NQ_ATGSF.exe' to the same drectory, and started the game from there. It ran astonishingly well: proper low screen resolution of 640x480 at once (I think), cinematics displayed properly, no audio echo or stutter, no spinning 3D image, and saves end up in the same location, in a subdirectory '_backup', and can easily be loaded from inside the game. He really did a fine job!

Generally speaking though, I only install these vintage games inside a virtual machine (emulator) on my desktop host system now, in my case VMware Player (free version). Virtual PC would work as well, as per Jenny's instructions.

The emulator itself takes some time to tweak, but once you have mounted the appropriate old operating system inside it, like Windows 98 or Windows XP, if you still have them, it's nearly always plain sailing installing all the Arxel Tribe, Cryo or DreamCatcher games on these guest systems. It may be worth it, if you plan to play more of these games!

Best,

Rich

Re: Saving problem with "Pompeii: Legend of Vesuvius" (aka Timescape) DVD [Re: RichAlexis] #1143354
03/02/18 03:48 AM
03/02/18 03:48 AM
P
paskdigia Offline
Junior Boomer
paskdigia  Offline
Junior Boomer
P

Hi guys,

Yesterday I installed Pompeii on my PC (OS: Win7). Since it didn't work because of the .bdl files, I searched the web and found this forum, so I downloaded the Russian patch and followed Iurii's instructions. Now the game works, but there's a big problem: I can't save! When I enter the Menu and try to save, writing a file-name in the bar, an error box appears:

[img]https://ibb.co/jh4bxc[/img]

I'm Italian, so I'm playing the game in my language. The message says: "It's impossible to save the game".

RichAlexis told that the game "saves end up in the same location, in a subdirectory '_backup'", but there's no '_backup' subdirectory in the folder which contains the game.

What can I do? I tried to play without saving, but it's so frustrating when you die and must restart the game from the beginning.

Please, help me!

Thanks

Re: Saving problem with "Pompeii: Legend of Vesuvius" (aka Timescape) DVD [Re: paskdigia] #1143370
03/02/18 09:10 AM
03/02/18 09:10 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: paskdigia
Now the game works, but there's a big problem: I can't save!

Does it make a difference if you start the game by right-clicking the game shortcut and choosing "Run As Administrator" ?

If that doesn't help, try uninstalling the game and reinstalling it. But before reinstalling, change the compatibility mode on the game's setup.exe file (on the DVD) to Windows 98 compatibility before reinstalling. Once installed, patch it and see how it works.

Re: Saving problem with "Pompeii: Legend of Vesuvius" (aka Timescape) DVD [Re: RichAlexis] #1143375
03/02/18 09:40 AM
03/02/18 09:40 AM
P
paskdigia Offline
Junior Boomer
paskdigia  Offline
Junior Boomer
P

Thank you for the answer. I didn't install the game by using the Setup.exe file: I followed RichAlexis's instructions, so I copied the files contained in the two CDs in the folder I created (C:/POMPEI).

I tried to run the game as administrator, but it didn't work.

Re: Saving problem with "Pompeii: Legend of Vesuvius" (aka Timescape) DVD [Re: RichAlexis] #1143455
03/02/18 11:50 PM
03/02/18 11:50 PM
Kiev, Ukraine
Iurii Offline
Addicted Boomer
Iurii  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Kiev, Ukraine
paskdigia, the problem is that the patch was created for Russian and English versions only - we did not have the Italian version of the game to test it with, so I am totally not sure if it is supported!

Do you run nq_atgsf.exe before launching the game? What does it say? Does it recognize the game?

Re: Saving problem with "Pompeii: Legend of Vesuvius" (aka Timescape) DVD [Re: RichAlexis] #1143480
03/03/18 09:03 AM
03/03/18 09:03 AM
P
paskdigia Offline
Junior Boomer
paskdigia  Offline
Junior Boomer
P

Hi Iurii. Yes, I ran nq_atgsf.exe before launching the game, but the patch is in Russian.
When I open the patch, I see this:

https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo/full?photo_id=500624649422

Clicking on the green button, I see this:

https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo/full?photo_id=500624648731

Now, when I click again on the green button, the patch shows this message:

https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo/full?photo_id=500624648945

Clicking on the green button, I come back to the games list (the second screenshot I linked); so I try clicking on the title "Pompeii: The Legend of Vesuvius (EN 2 CD)", and I see this message:

https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo/full?photo_id=500624650058

I can't translate Russian texts, so I don't know if the patch really works. In your posts I read that the patch usually shows many white buttons, but in my case it doesn't: it shows only the green and the red buttons. Maybe the problem is that, as you wrote, I own the Italian version of the software. In any case, I'll play also without saving the game: I love Pompeii, it's a great game.

Thanks for your help (and sorry for my bad English).

paskdigia

Re: Saving problem with "Pompeii: Legend of Vesuvius" (aka Timescape) DVD [Re: RichAlexis] #1143483
03/03/18 09:28 AM
03/03/18 09:28 AM
Michigan
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan

Re: Saving problem with "Pompeii: Legend of Vesuvius" (aka Timescape) DVD [Re: RichAlexis] #1143487
03/03/18 09:51 AM
03/03/18 09:51 AM
P
paskdigia Offline
Junior Boomer
paskdigia  Offline
Junior Boomer
P

Thank you Geo, but I can't copy the Russian text from the patch: it's locked, you can not select it. So, in order to translate I should manually copy the full text, letter by letter, in Microsoft Word, using the cyrillic alphabet.
Before doing such a big work, I'd like to understand if there's another way to fix the bug.

Thanks anyway smile

Last edited by paskdigia; 03/03/18 09:52 AM.
Re: Saving problem with "Pompeii: Legend of Vesuvius" (aka Timescape) DVD [Re: RichAlexis] #1143550
03/04/18 03:12 AM
03/04/18 03:12 AM
Kiev, Ukraine
Iurii Offline
Addicted Boomer
Iurii  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Kiev, Ukraine
Hi paskdigia.

Sorry, but I can't see your pictures! All links lead me to the main page https://www.photobox.co.uk frown
Can you please upload them somewhere else? Like Google Drive?

Re: Saving problem with "Pompeii: Legend of Vesuvius" (aka Timescape) DVD [Re: Iurii] #1143570
03/04/18 11:00 AM
03/04/18 11:00 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Iurii
Sorry, but I can't see your pictures! All links lead me to the main page https://www.photobox.co.uk

I have the same problem with the picture links re-directing to the main page. I wonder if paskdigia has to tell photobox to "share" the photos for the links to work properly.

Re: Saving problem with "Pompeii: Legend of Vesuvius" (aka Timescape) DVD [Re: paskdigia] #1143867
03/07/18 02:17 PM
03/07/18 02:17 PM
The Netherlands
R
RichAlexis Offline OP
Settled Boomer
RichAlexis  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
R

The Netherlands
Hi Paskdigia!

I felt intrigued, because I own the multilingual Pompei DVD, and Italian is one of the languages on it!

So I again copied all the DVD files to my C-directory on my Windows 8.1 desktop, copied the 'NQ_ATGSF.exe' patch to it, and when I started it, I got an ITA language option, as shown below in the lower left-hand corner. So I hit the green button:

(for bigger images, right-click on them and select 'View Image')

And lo and behold, it worked: I got the Italian menu, and was able to start playing the game. I could also save the game, and yes, there is a '_backup' subdirectory for it. See the screenshots below (images uploaded to TinyPic, by the way):

Italian menu:

In-game screenshots:

Saving the game:

Ti auguro buona fortuna!

Rich

P.S. I happen to really love Italian educational multimedia by companies like Capware, Altair4, Tipot Studio, De Agostini and Scala (in collaboration with L'Espresso magazine). Though I don't speak Italian, I manage to piece together enough Italian to find a number of those CDs, DVDs and books online, order them, and enjoy them.

Gentle warning about Kirill's script for Arxel Tribe/Cryo games: in all probability false alarm [Re: Jenny100] #1175521
01/23/19 03:36 PM
01/23/19 03:36 PM
The Netherlands
R
RichAlexis Offline OP
Settled Boomer
RichAlexis  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
R

The Netherlands
A week ago, I was running a trial version of EnigmaSoft's SpyHunter 5 anti-malware tool on my desktop PC, and I was shocked to find it detected a so-called backdoor virus (RAT: remote access trojan) in a script generated by Kirill's vintage Arxel Tribe/Cryo game program. As described in this thread, his script is designed to run these games on Windows Vista to 10:

http://nquest.ucoz.com/index/0-106#NQ_ATGSF

As you can see in the image below, SpyHunter signalled the DarkComet, or DarkKomet virus, which can bypass the operating system's authentication process to allow hackers remote, undetected access to your system. Once they are in, they can take control of your computer to install, change or delete programs, register entries and files, capture video and audio from your webcam or microphone, steal passwords (keylogging) and turn it into a client in a global botnet to attack other computers.

This RAT is mainly active in Russia:

https://threats.kaspersky.com/en/threat/Backdoor.Win32.DarkKomet/

Of course I had my regular internet security providers, in my case Kaspersky, check the script, and they assured me twice it was a false alarm, a so-called false positive. Because the script apparently contains a 'sandbox' (StubExe?) to run the game shielded from the host system, it is extremely likely that SpyHunter is designed to flag all of these as potential malware.

So I wouldn't worry, but since Kaspersky is a Russian firm, which sometimes has a hard time defending its nonpartisanship, you can check for yourselves using your own protection software, just to make sure.

Best,

Rich

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 334 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users