GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage    
Topic Options
#896071 - 06/21/13 12:57 PM Saving problem with "Pompeii: Legend of Vesuvius" (aka Timescape) DVD
RichAlexis Offline
Shy Boomer

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I'm into classic adventure games.

I just got the multilingual DVD from Amazon of the "Pompeii: The Legend of Vesuvius" adventure game from 2000, also known as "Timescape: Journey to Pompeii".

I'm playing this Windows 95/98 compatible game on a Windows XP Home Edition system. I had hardly any installation problems, though you do get that familiar old Cryo/Dreamcatcer "no disk space left" message when only, in this case, 262 MB are required! Old school limited disk space, I guess.

In the past, I used to install it on a 1 GB USB flash drive to avoid this, but this time straight installation to the C-drive turned out fine.

So, the game works fine, even without a switch to Windows 98/Windows ME compatibility mode for the executable, no choppy audio, good 3D panning, fluent cutscenes, accessible menu options.

But there's one major glitch: I can't save the game! This is frustrating when you can get killed in this game, and you have to start all over again.

This is what I get: just an endlessly blinking cursor in the lower lefthand corner, not resolving into anything.

User "char" in this old review on Amazon appears to have had the same problem, but I've been looking all over the place for a solution.

Amazon.com review

Does someone recognize this, and know what can be done? Emulation does not appear to work. Patch?

Thanks!

Rich

Edited by RichAlexis (06/21/13 01:05 PM)

#896074 - 06/21/13 01:00 PM Re: Saving problem with "Pompeii: Legend of Vesuvius" (aka Timescape) DVD [Re: RichAlexis]
Marian Online   content
True Blue Boomer

Loc: near Yosemite in California
Hi RichAlexis and welcome to GameBoomers. I have moved your post over to our Glitches forum where the techies should be able to give you some advice. smile

#896076 - 06/21/13 01:05 PM Re: Saving problem with "Pompeii: Legend of Vesuvius" (aka Timescape) DVD [Re: Marian]
RichAlexis Offline
Shy Boomer

Oh thanks, still finding my way around!

Rich

#896109 - 06/21/13 03:34 PM Re: Saving problem with "Pompeii: Legend of Vesuvius" (aka Timescape) DVD [Re: RichAlexis]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
If you installed to the default location, then it went in C:\Program Files and Windows may be preventing changes (like making saves). Try installing the game to your My Documents folder.

#896124 - 06/21/13 04:24 PM Re: Saving problem with "Pompeii: Legend of Vesuvius" (aka Timescape) DVD [Re: Jenny100]
RichAlexis Offline
Shy Boomer

Thanks, Jenny.

I see what you mean, but I doubted this would be the solution, as I've never had any problems writing to Program Files. I tried it anyway.

I've found what it's about: the bar at the bottom of the save screen is not a sliding bar filling up during the saving action, as I'd thought, but a form where you're supposed to enter a filename!

Gee, I feel like an idiot, but I hadn't expected this 'manual labour' after years of automatic saving!

I have to work out, though, if I have to keep track of sequential file numbers, because otherwise I feel I could overwrite existing saves.

Rich

Edited by RichAlexis (06/21/13 04:27 PM)

#896136 - 06/21/13 05:05 PM Re: Saving problem with "Pompeii: Legend of Vesuvius" (aka Timescape) DVD [Re: RichAlexis]
lanlynk Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Alaska
Hi, Rich. wave

I've recently spent some time installing a few of my "semi-older" games on Win7 systems. It's been an exercise in troubleshooting! So far, I've had luck though.

First I installed realMyst (download version), trying to work with compatibility and widescreen resolutions. Then I put Ankh (disc) on my laptop. Had to patch it using Google translate (the readme was in French!). Then I installed the 4 disc version of Secret Files: Tunguska on my desktop. I had to install the Tages drivers for that one. Each game requires a different tweak!

Anyway, just wanted to say I understand how you feel about getting used to the mechanics of older games. But GameBoomers is a great place to search for answers or ask for help.

#896147 - 06/21/13 06:21 PM Re: Saving problem with "Pompeii: Legend of Vesuvius" (aka Timescape) DVD [Re: lanlynk]
RichAlexis Offline
Shy Boomer

Thanks, Lanlynk! wave

You get a wave back from me!

Yes, I had the same thing trying to get Atlantis II (aka Beyond Atlantis) running on Windows XP.

It took me ages, got it running in a Qemu Windows 95 emulation after much tweaking of DirectX settings, hardware acceleration, compatibility settings and the like.

Then I found a patch to get it running without all this tinkering.....

Still, a valuable learning experience - which I could share with others too!

As I haven't found the exact saving procedure for Pompeii anywhere yet, I will report on possible file naming conventions and the risk of overwriting later on.

Rich

P.S. At least I can read French and German reasonably well, being a fan of these mostly French-originated games wink

#896152 - 06/21/13 06:45 PM Re: Saving problem with "Pompeii: Legend of Vesuvius" (aka Timescape) DVD [Re: lanlynk]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
Originally Posted By: lanlynk
Anyway, just wanted to say I understand how you feel about getting used to the mechanics of older games. But GameBoomers is a great place to search for answers or ask for help.

Some of the most confusing older games I played were those that were early 16-bit Windows games. You had to type in the name you wanted for your save, but it couldn't be more than 8 digits long and you had to add whatever extension the game wanted, be it .txt, .sav, or whatever. One game gave almost no clues at all -- it filled in ********.txt for me, but wouldn't accept that. Eventually I figured out I needed to replace the *'s with letters -- and no more than 8 of them. All the readme said was to type in the name of your save -- no details.

Another confusing one required you to click the picture of the screen, then type in a name before it would save. The trick was figuring out you had to give it a name. There was no box or anything to indicate you had to name it. Since some other games from around the same time only had a picture for a save, it wasn't obvious that you had to name it or do anything other than OK the picture of the save.

#896504 - 06/23/13 01:31 PM Re: Saving problem with "Pompeii: Legend of Vesuvius" (aka Timescape) DVD [Re: Jenny100]
RichAlexis Offline
Shy Boomer

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for letting me in on this!

So many games, so many customs, apparently. wink

I think it would make a valuable addition to walkthroughs, cheat sheets and the like. It's important to know how the controls of the game work before you start. It has very little to do with your intelligence or problem solving skills, which is what the game should be about.

Now I just read hints like "save as often as you can, but don't overwrite", while it would be great getting the exact details how to go about this.

Rich

Moderator:  InlandAZ, Jenny100 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
12 registered (Marian, mj2c, Draclvr, Pokey, BrownEyedTigre, joanie39, colpet, Karsten, Mad, rmelone), 94 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Amberdrop, binnykinz, scarend, JALind, maggieann
8524 Registered Users