GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
The Adventure Shop Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#902115 - 07/18/13 07:30 PM Re: Steam [Re: Mad]
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer

Originally Posted By: Mad
In the few weeks since I registered with Steam there have already been two occasions when a connection was "not available" and I couldn't play my game.

I had to reboot my computer (both times) before a log-in was possible frown

I come from a place and time where the customer is always right. If someone wants to present a game for me to purchase the conditions are, here is my money, the game is mine.

I will play it and install it when and where I want without grovelling for your permission or become dependent upon your website to activate, install or play----ever.

You don't like those terms then sell to somebody else. You need me the customer, I don't need you.

It is a simple concept and I'm a suscriber.

#902142 - 07/18/13 09:43 PM Re: Steam [Re: Mary]
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Rivellon
"I will play it and install it when and where I want without grovelling for your permission or become dependent upon your website to activate, install or play----ever."

Lol! I'll move over and make room for you on the battlements, oldmariner.

Gil.

#902159 - 07/19/13 12:53 AM Re: Steam [Re: Mary]
Uncle Reg Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Virginia Beach, VA
Make room for me too, traveler. I'm with you and oldmariner 100%.

#902265 - 07/19/13 11:47 AM Re: Steam [Re: Uncle Reg]
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
Yes. I hear what you are saying grin

However, I do only have the one "Steam" game, AND, as I said, there was no mention of Steam when I bought that.

[And I hope not to get caught that way again rolleyes]

However, sites like Steam are certainly on the increase and if, eventually, they do become the only way to play, I will just have to use them as I don't intend to give up the pleasure my computer games provide whistle

#902288 - 07/19/13 12:34 PM Re: Steam [Re: Mary]
Rushes Offline
The Three Pipe Moderator
True Blue Boomer

Loc: UK
However, sites like Steam are certainly on the increase and if, eventually, they do become the only way to play, I will just have to use them as I don't intend to give up the pleasure my computer games provide

And therein lies the conundrum, for those (great many) of us who prefer boxed games as opposed to the download-only varietal. We can stick it out, in the hope that developers will eventually roll back and return to producing boxed versions. Or we can accept the trend, and those conditions and download. Refusing to accept the conditions means missing out on a number of great games. Developers might not necessarily understand/appreciate that the consumer still wants boxed copies. They interpret the reduced sales as general disinterest in the adventure genre. They switch to Casual or Action. And so it goes. Gah. I prefer boxed copies too. But it's double-edged, as technology develops. And it will continue to develop -- look at the rise in popularity of eBooks, and the dramatic slump in sales of CDs/DVDs.

#902307 - 07/19/13 01:15 PM Re: Steam [Re: Mary]
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer

But the choice is not between downloaded games and boxed.
It is between ownership and a form of rental.
Downloaded games do not have to have the "gotcha" of a game manager.
They don't have to have hoops to jump through if you want to play them.
Developers do not have to market their games through a company that sells you games with "conditions".

Maybe it's generational but I do not understand anyone who doesn't care if they're sold something but don't really own what they buy and find gimmicks like Achievements valid compensation for not having total ownership of what they paid good money for.
And I certainly don't understand people not being furious when a boxed game comes with limiting "conditions", especially if you're not informed of it upfront.

As for automatic updates, GOG updates my games and informs me there are updated versions when I bounce by the website.
I go to the excruciating trouble of downloading them myself, knowing they are still DRM free and I don't have to be ask anyone's permission to play them.
I can live without a box though they're nice.
I am not about to pay for something and then, as oldmariner says, have to ask permission to use it.

Where's that icon? Aha. steamed

Gil.

#902312 - 07/19/13 01:26 PM Re: Steam [Re: Mary]
Rushes Offline
The Three Pipe Moderator
True Blue Boomer

Yes, I think it is generational. The younger set don't seem to think twice about this sort of thing. They've grown up with it, they're used to it. Us olduns tag along, complaining and foaming at the udders. lol

#902317 - 07/19/13 01:38 PM Re: Steam [Re: Mary]
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer

"Uncle" Reg might take offense at that last comment, Rushes. rotfl

Gil.

#902318 - 07/19/13 01:43 PM Re: Steam [Re: Mary]
Rushes Offline
The Three Pipe Moderator
True Blue Boomer

I'd lay odds that he has a set of metaphysical udders tucked away in case of emergencies. yes

#902322 - 07/19/13 01:52 PM Re: Steam [Re: Rushes]
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Originally Posted By: Rushes
And therein lies the conundrum, for those (great many) of us who prefer boxed games as opposed to the download-only varietal. We can stick it out, in the hope that developers will eventually roll back and return to producing boxed versions. Or we can accept the trend, and those conditions and download. Refusing to accept the conditions means missing out on a number of great games. Developers might not necessarily understand/appreciate that the consumer still wants boxed copies. They interpret the reduced sales as general disinterest in the adventure genre. They switch to Casual or Action. And so it goes. Gah. I prefer boxed copies too. But it's double-edged, as technology develops. And it will continue to develop -- look at the rise in popularity of eBooks, and the dramatic slump in sales of CDs/DVDs.

Yes, a conundrum indeed !! And I'm all for "sticking it out" too.
But not if my taking that action would be misunderstood by Developers in the way you suggest, Rushes frown

#902477 - 07/20/13 10:41 AM Re: Steam [Re: Mary]
bigmamma1 Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: florida
bravoInteresting discussion
I too signed up for Steam because a few games Ive wanted were on sale. However I've had a few problems signing in and getting some of them into my "library". Havn't even tried to downnload any of them yet.
The frustrating thing is: They don't have any way of problem solving except via email, which they seem not to respond to very quickly from what I've read on other forums. (I solved my problem by googling it-finally, after wasting untold amts. of time) It would be nice if they at least had a "chat" ability.
Anyway, I see the whole game buying world changing from disk to download very rapidly.
Theres nothing we can do to change it except vote with our feet-I for one am going to do business with GOG and any who dont require 3rd party.No more Steam.
I can see a future where games will be "rented" for a fee each time you play,which would be OK as long as fee was small and game easy to access when you want to play it.
What do you think?

#902484 - 07/20/13 11:15 AM Re: Steam [Re: bigmamma1]
Jenny100 Online   content
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
Originally Posted By: bigmamma1
I can see a future where games will be "rented" for a fee each time you play,which would be OK as long as fee was small and game easy to access when you want to play it.
What do you think?

It's not acceptable for me, and I doubt it would be acceptable for anyone with limited playing time -- and who very likely wouldn't be able to finish the game within the time limit. It doesn't make sense to put other responsibilities on the back burner because you have to finish a game within the alloted time -- and yes there are ways to make a game stop working after a certain period of time.

Fortunately I have many older games on disc, and one of the few good things about a bad memory is that an old game is like a brand new game when you replay. And as long as DRM-free shops like GOG and DotEMU exist there's no need to give up on newer games anyway.

But if the choice was between rented games and no games at all, I'd choose no games at all. I don't like being cheated. Nor do I appreciate essentially being told I have to adapt to the convenience (or moneymaking scheme) of the publisher. Not going to happen.

Yes, a conundrum indeed !! And I'm all for "sticking it out" too.
But not if my taking that action would be misunderstood by Developers in the way you suggest,

You can always write to the developer and clarify the matter. If they don't care enough to provide contact information, that's their loss, but most of them do -- even if it's only posting a message on their forums.

#902495 - 07/20/13 12:21 PM Re: Steam [Re: Mary]
cassadaga Offline
Shy Boomer

Loc: Cassadaga, FL
I agree with Jenny100 and I also agree with bigmamma1. Many years ago, or many video cards ago, I had a problem with Steam that never got resolved due to their lack of communication. If I recall I joined because they were one of the first sites that offered a good variety of adventure downloads.
I also had a problem with signing in that never got resolved.
I always felt it was my lack of computer knowledge that created the problem. Unlike other sites, Steam didn't have the patience for the unsavvy. Now there are so many sites that offer great downloads at great prices that I've never had the need to purchase from Steam again.
I also have a wonderful collection of games on disc that I bought before downloads took over. Back then, finding sources for a game was a game in itself.
Every once in a while I blow the dust off one and slip it into my computer and just am thankful that it's not on a floppy!

#902523 - 07/20/13 03:46 PM Re: Steam [Re: cassadaga]
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Nearly all my games are on disk - old games AND new ones.
I have very few downloaded ones (apart from my GOG purchases) and I would like it to stay that way laugh

I simply didn't know until this game arrived (disk version) that I had to register with Steam in order to be able to play it - or I wouldn't have ever bought it !!
[I bought it from Amazon and there was just NO mention of Steam in the game details at Amazon.]

I don't have any other Steam games.

And (Jenny100) when new games in development start to get publicity I am one of the first to make contact and ask if a disk version will be available smile

Obviously, choice is the thing. It's my choice whether I buy a download or a disk version or neither !! lol

#902527 - 07/20/13 04:17 PM Re: Steam [Re: Mad]
Jenny100 Online   content
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
I simply didn't know until this game arrived (disk version) that I had to register with Steam in order to be able to play it - or I wouldn't have ever bought it !!
[I bought it from Amazon and there was just NO mention of Steam in the game details at Amazon.]

Sometimes they'll list "Internet connection" in the system requirements of a single player game. If they do, you'll know it has some form of online DRM attached to it.

Quote:
And (Jenny100) when new games in development start to get publicity I am one of the first to make contact and ask if a disk version will be available.

Unfortunately, as you found out, a disc version doesn't ensure a game doesn't have online authentication (which can mean Steam or limited installs). The company might tell you if their game uses Steam, but they won't tell you what type of DRM it uses.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BrownEyedTigre, Marian, Rushes 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
12 registered (BrownEyedTigre, Koala, Iurii, luv2travel, Gimme, Pandora, CanukDenis, Jenny100, Draclvr, 1 invisible), 85 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Newest Members
RibaSoma, Gey, Moonbat, kooker1957, ctillis
8497 Registered Users