GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Steam [Re: Mary] #902477
07/20/13 10:41 AM
07/20/13 10:41 AM
florida
bigmamma1 Offline
Settled Boomer
bigmamma1  Offline
Settled Boomer

florida
bravoInteresting discussion
I too signed up for Steam because a few games Ive wanted were on sale. However I've had a few problems signing in and getting some of them into my "library". Havn't even tried to downnload any of them yet.
The frustrating thing is: They don't have any way of problem solving except via email, which they seem not to respond to very quickly from what I've read on other forums. (I solved my problem by googling it-finally, after wasting untold amts. of time) It would be nice if they at least had a "chat" ability.
Anyway, I see the whole game buying world changing from disk to download very rapidly.
Theres nothing we can do to change it except vote with our feet-I for one am going to do business with GOG and any who dont require 3rd party.No more Steam.
I can see a future where games will be "rented" for a fee each time you play,which would be OK as long as fee was small and game easy to access when you want to play it.
What do you think?

People do not remember how much you know,only how you make them feel
finished Gray Matter, playing Alice Madness returns and Deponia
Re: Steam [Re: bigmamma1] #902484
07/20/13 11:15 AM
07/20/13 11:15 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: bigmamma1
I can see a future where games will be "rented" for a fee each time you play,which would be OK as long as fee was small and game easy to access when you want to play it.
What do you think?

It's not acceptable for me, and I doubt it would be acceptable for anyone with limited playing time -- and who very likely wouldn't be able to finish the game within the time limit. It doesn't make sense to put other responsibilities on the back burner because you have to finish a game within the alloted time -- and yes there are ways to make a game stop working after a certain period of time.

Fortunately I have many older games on disc, and one of the few good things about a bad memory is that an old game is like a brand new game when you replay. And as long as DRM-free shops like GOG and DotEMU exist there's no need to give up on newer games anyway.

But if the choice was between rented games and no games at all, I'd choose no games at all. I don't like being cheated. Nor do I appreciate essentially being told I have to adapt to the convenience (or moneymaking scheme) of the publisher. Not going to happen.

Originally Posted By: Mad
Yes, a conundrum indeed !! And I'm all for "sticking it out" too.
But not if my taking that action would be misunderstood by Developers in the way you suggest,

You can always write to the developer and clarify the matter. If they don't care enough to provide contact information, that's their loss, but most of them do -- even if it's only posting a message on their forums.

Re: Steam [Re: Mary] #902495
07/20/13 12:21 PM
07/20/13 12:21 PM
Cassadaga, FL
C
cassadaga Offline
Shy Boomer
cassadaga  Offline
Shy Boomer
C

Cassadaga, FL
I agree with Jenny100 and I also agree with bigmamma1. Many years ago, or many video cards ago, I had a problem with Steam that never got resolved due to their lack of communication. If I recall I joined because they were one of the first sites that offered a good variety of adventure downloads.
I also had a problem with signing in that never got resolved.
I always felt it was my lack of computer knowledge that created the problem. Unlike other sites, Steam didn't have the patience for the unsavvy. Now there are so many sites that offer great downloads at great prices that I've never had the need to purchase from Steam again.
I also have a wonderful collection of games on disc that I bought before downloads took over. Back then, finding sources for a game was a game in itself.
Every once in a while I blow the dust off one and slip it into my computer and just am thankful that it's not on a floppy!

Re: Steam [Re: cassadaga] #902523
07/20/13 03:46 PM
07/20/13 03:46 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Nearly all my games are on disk - old games AND new ones.
I have very few downloaded ones (apart from my GOG purchases) and I would like it to stay that way laugh

I simply didn't know until this game arrived (disk version) that I had to register with Steam in order to be able to play it - or I wouldn't have ever bought it !!
[I bought it from Amazon and there was just NO mention of Steam in the game details at Amazon.]

I don't have any other Steam games.

And (Jenny100) when new games in development start to get publicity I am one of the first to make contact and ask if a disk version will be available smile

Obviously, choice is the thing. It's my choice whether I buy a download or a disk version or neither !! lol

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Steam [Re: Mad] #902527
07/20/13 04:17 PM
07/20/13 04:17 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Mad
I simply didn't know until this game arrived (disk version) that I had to register with Steam in order to be able to play it - or I wouldn't have ever bought it !!
[I bought it from Amazon and there was just NO mention of Steam in the game details at Amazon.]

Sometimes they'll list "Internet connection" in the system requirements of a single player game. If they do, you'll know it has some form of online DRM attached to it.

Quote:
And (Jenny100) when new games in development start to get publicity I am one of the first to make contact and ask if a disk version will be available.

Unfortunately, as you found out, a disc version doesn't ensure a game doesn't have online authentication (which can mean Steam or limited installs). The company might tell you if their game uses Steam, but they won't tell you what type of DRM it uses.

Re: Steam [Re: Jenny100] #902636
07/21/13 09:52 AM
07/21/13 09:52 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi Jenny100 smile

Although such a thing no doubt exists, I've never seen "Internet connection" listed in the advertised requirements of any game I would be interested in buying.

And as for DRM stuff.
Yes, I do now have several (disk versions) games that require using an "activation code" before being allowed to play.
But I only need to use the code on installation.
I don't have to log-in to a particular site every time I just want to play further - as I do with Steam rolleyes

Unfortunately, as we are all aware, none of the DRM stuff brought out to date appears to be preventing piracy. But it certainly can upset genuine customers like me !! mad

However, I've no wish to start yet another thread on THAT subject so I'll shut up now !!!! lol

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Steam [Re: Mary] #902850
07/22/13 09:35 AM
07/22/13 09:35 AM
Denmark, Europe
Karsten Offline
Addicted Boomer
Karsten  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Denmark, Europe
Many new games (from nearly every publisher and developer) require activation over the internet, in the (now) old days we used a cd-code. Today, many publishers require the use of Steam for activation purposes. EA has their own online system (Origin) for activation of games.

The old game I knew of where you needed to be connected to the internet all the time was Bioshock 2, and boy, did this game hit the bargain very quickly. (Ok, maybe Settlers 7 as well).

Adventure gaming is fun smile

Re: Steam [Re: Mary] #904194
07/28/13 12:42 AM
07/28/13 12:42 AM
Hicksville, NY USA
S
sanford Offline
Addicted Boomer
sanford  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Hicksville, NY USA
Hi, fellow Boomers.
I recently purchased "The Raven" pre-order download from AMAZON. In their description of the game, they added "Online Code Needed". Since I didn't know what that meant, I e-mailed Amazon Support with my question and they promptly replied explaining that it was a "Steam" game that would be downloaded FROM Steam when the game would be ready to be accessed. Since I am a Steam "member", I had no problem with that. They also told me that I could cancel my order if I chose to do that. So on July 23, I did download this game by receiving a CODE KEY from Amazon and followed their instructions on how to download through STEAM. I followed their clear instructions, and now I own another Steam game.
BTW, Also included in the instructions was a step by step description about activating a NEW Steam account for non-Steam members.
Sandy
Oh yes, the reason I didn't buy the game from Steam directly was because I had an Amazon Gift Certificate that I could use.

Re: Steam [Re: Mary] #904242
07/28/13 10:26 AM
07/28/13 10:26 AM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Thanks for the info Sandy. That is great to know.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Koala), 147 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users