GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#907658 - 08/13/13 04:58 PM american mcgee's alice
oldbroad Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Chicago
I've had this game for ages but am just now seriously attempting to play it. (Dabbled with it years ago.)

Played for an hour and a half that flew by. Playing in Easy Mode as I have never actually played a Darkside game yet. I have to keep looking at the booklet to see what key/mouse I should be using. So far, fun but nerve wracking. I had to exit the game after several attempts trying to get from one portal doorway to another.

That's it. Not asking for any suggestions or helpful hints/info at the moment (although they would be welcome). Just making conversation!

#907660 - 08/13/13 05:06 PM Re: american mcgee's alice [Re: oldbroad]
Draclvr Online   content
Adept Boomer

Loc: In Missouri near St. Louis
And a great conversation it is! American McGee's Alice is one of my all time favorites - I think I've played it 3 times. It can get frustrating, but if you persevere, it's worth it. I remember trying to get from one place to another by jumping across a checkerboard that appeared and disappeared and it taking me at least 3 days!

#907662 - 08/13/13 05:19 PM Re: american mcgee's alice [Re: oldbroad]
oldbroad Offline
Addicted Boomer

I know you like it and was surprised that neither it nor Zanzarah show up on your top 13 list.

Even though I had never played this game (Alice)and didn't know if I ever really would, I did purchase the sequel (Madness Returns) when it came out also.

#907674 - 08/13/13 08:21 PM Re: american mcgee's alice [Re: oldbroad]
Draclvr Online   content
Adept Boomer

I needed a Top 20 list to include several of my other favorites like The Hobbit!

#907859 - 08/14/13 06:40 PM Re: american mcgee's alice [Re: oldbroad]
oldbroad Offline
Addicted Boomer

This game is going to make me crazy! I was only able to play for 20 minutes so far today and had to get out. I did get past the place where I was yesterday but not much further. Am now in the Fortress of Doors (or trying to get there I guess).

#907861 - 08/14/13 07:12 PM Re: american mcgee's alice [Re: oldbroad]
looney4labs Online   content
GB Reviewer Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: Alabama
bravo for making some progress! Each step is a victory wave

#907868 - 08/14/13 09:19 PM Re: american mcgee's alice [Re: oldbroad]
oldbroad Offline
Addicted Boomer

Well 30 more minutes and not any progress to speak of. I am getting motion sick. I killed somebody and went up the stairs and jumped across the boards (whatever) but am not sure what I am supposed to do next. I tried unsuccesfully to try another jump several times to a bridge with a revolving portal door that doesn't actually look like it leads anywhere. Is that where I need to go? I wish the game would actually let me save where I want to save. I will have to start that section over and kill that flying thing again!

Shoot. I am so dumb! I think I could have saved where I was but forgot to click on a save slot. I saw the pic of the beginning of that section and thought that was what would save. ARGH!!! I don't know if I can kill that flying thing again.

Edited by oldbroad (08/14/13 09:24 PM)

#907869 - 08/14/13 09:28 PM Re: american mcgee's alice [Re: oldbroad]
Draclvr Online   content
Adept Boomer

oldbroad, let me load up the game and see if I can figure out where you are. In the meantime, try these video walkthroughs to help you out.

Alice Video Walkthrough

#907871 - 08/14/13 10:17 PM Re: american mcgee's alice [Re: oldbroad]
oldbroad Offline
Addicted Boomer

Thanks for that link Draclvr. I am in Part 2 and I see that yes, I do have to make the jump that I had been trying unsuccesfully to do. It's about at 6:33 into the video.

#907873 - 08/14/13 10:22 PM Re: american mcgee's alice [Re: oldbroad]
Draclvr Online   content
Adept Boomer

Well, good luck! The first time I played this one, it really tried my patience!

#908058 - 08/16/13 12:13 AM Re: american mcgee's alice [Re: oldbroad]
Dreamer1990 Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Pennsylvania
Ah, I just played this game a few weeks ago.

For that jump, you want to wait for the board to tilt as far back/upward as possible, then run forward and jump just as you're hitting the end. If the board is too far down, she'll miss.

Also, for those flying banshee things, I use the cards--about 3-4 throws gets them, I think.

Later on in the game, the jacks are very effective, FYI.

The game does get rather frustrating. I save very often, every other minute or so, even less if I'm in a very hard platforming area.

Have fun! smile

#908059 - 08/16/13 12:27 AM Re: american mcgee's alice [Re: oldbroad]
oldbroad Offline
Addicted Boomer

Thanks Dreamer1990. I didn't make it into the game today but will use your suggestions when I play tomorrow.

#909890 - 08/24/13 11:04 PM Re: american mcgee's alice [Re: oldbroad]
oldbroad Offline
Addicted Boomer

Okay, I cannot make the jump into the skool. Any helpful suggestions?

#909895 - 08/24/13 11:40 PM Re: american mcgee's alice [Re: oldbroad]
looney4labs Online   content
GB Reviewer Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: Alabama
Oldbroad, I haven't played this. I know that several of our members have. wave

#909912 - 08/25/13 01:11 AM Re: american mcgee's alice [Re: oldbroad]
oldbroad Offline
Addicted Boomer

Well, I managed to get in the Skool. I was in the wrong place for jumping. Somehow I had jumped over the wall so I had to climb back up onto the wall and make my way over to the window.

I think I was supposed to pick up a billy club somewhere but I missed that and got the dice, however, I then was killed and don't have them anymore. I've played all I can for tonight!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  looney4labs 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
11 registered (colpet, Space Quest Fan, Sorta Blonde, robert gray, Draclvr, granny, Marian, Upsydaisy, Mad, InlandAZ), 57 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Newest Members
antonfelinsky, Amberguessa, Katmcd, zzs, peggysue
8643 Registered Users