(¯`·._,.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~_ The Dark Eye: Memoria _~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸_.·´¯)

a First Look by flotsam
Daedalic Entertainment

I used to play Dungeons & Dragons an eon ago, and was so pleased when pc games got invented. It immediately took away the need for anyone else to have to know the intricate rules of these types of games, and I could happily feed my inner nerd all by my solitary self.

I mention this for no other reason than to say that the pen and paper game The Dark Eye (not to be confused with the adventure game The Dark Eye) is the progenitor of Memoria, as it was for Chains of Satinav, the former being the sequel to the latter.

If you played Chains of Satinav you will know what to expect. It's more of the same here; not in a bad way, just more. If you didn’t, read the Boomer review and you will know all you need to.

Like many Daedalic games, it looks fantastic. I did think though that the character modelling had more depth than the backgrounds. They seemed a little “flat” by comparison. But they do look good so perhaps it’s just me being picky.

It will help if you have played the first game, but if not, Princes Sadja will provide compelling newness. The greatest hero of all time is also an ambition deserving of your attention.

It was a little easy, but it’s just a first look, so it would be unfair to draw any definitive conclusions. As for the story, it promises much, and there is no reason to think it won’t deliver.

In short, if Satinav was your thing, I can’t imagine why this wouldn’t be. And if you haven’t played, then give Satinav a go, cos the whole thing could be very good indeed.