GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
myst uru complete chronicles #913778
09/15/13 01:17 AM
09/15/13 01:17 AM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Hi,

I am playing this in Win 7. When I go to Teledahn (and try to use the mouse), I get the following error:

Main Branch Build 5/26/2004 at 5:19 PM has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close etc.

I googled and found some problem with Win 7 but am not sure it is the same thing. One person wrote this:

"I don't know about the Steam version, but if you have the CD version of Uru Complete Chronicles, this can be fixed by right clicking on the shortcut and setting compatibility mode to Windows XP SP3. However, this changes the location of save files (at least with the CD version) and resets the settings. There is a way to recover pre-compatibility saves though."

So, two things. I have the CD version. My first question really was going to be about the save files mentioned above. Does that mean that I would have to restart the game if I change compatibility mode? (The instructions that followed for recovering pre-compatibility saves were too involved for me to follow.)

The other thing though is that I cannot right click on the shortcut and change compatibility even if I want to. I get this message:

The folder "C\Program Files (x86)\Ubi Soft\Cyan World\Myst Uru Complete Chronicles" specified in the Start In box is not valid. Make sure that the folder exists and that the path is correct.

????? What does all of this mean?

If I try to run compatibility testing or play as administrator it wants me to enter a new profile.

Re: myst uru complete chronicles [Re: oldbroad] #913788
09/15/13 05:27 AM
09/15/13 05:27 AM
Marlborough USA
Kaki's Sister Offline
Sonic Boomer
Kaki's Sister  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Marlborough USA
Oldbroad maybe you can get into Teledahn from a saved game from someone else. Dadguy helped me more than once when my game froze and crashed . I sent him a saved game and he played past my "trouble" spot and I was able to continue. Maybe you can send him a pm and see if he can help. Good Luck!

Gerry
Re: myst uru complete chronicles [Re: oldbroad] #913847
09/15/13 01:38 PM
09/15/13 01:38 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: oldbroad
One person wrote this:

"I don't know about the Steam version, but if you have the CD version of Uru Complete Chronicles, this can be fixed by right clicking on the shortcut and setting compatibility mode to Windows XP SP3. However, this changes the location of save files (at least with the CD version) and resets the settings. There is a way to recover pre-compatibility saves though."

So, two things. I have the CD version. My first question really was going to be about the save files mentioned above. Does that mean that I would have to restart the game if I change compatibility mode?

Yes -- unless you copy the save files to the location where the game expects them to be.

According to the person at the Steam forum, when you play without compatibility mode,
the game thinks the save folder to be in

C:\Users\*user*\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Ubi Soft\Cyan Worlds\Myst Uru Complete Chronicles\

(where *user* is whatever your username is)

and when you play using compatibility mode, the game thinks the save folder should be in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubi Soft\Cyan Worlds\Myst Uru Complete Chronicles

At least that's what the person said, though I think he may have gotten it backwards. You may want to check both locations and see where your save folder actually is.

(The instructions that followed for recovering pre-compatibility saves were too involved for me to follow.)

Assuming you found the instructions ***here***, they simply amount to copying the save folder to the location where the game expects it to be if you use compatibility mode.

The other thing though is that I cannot right click on the shortcut and change compatibility even if I want to. I get this message:

The folder "C\Program Files (x86)\Ubi Soft\Cyan World\Myst Uru Complete Chronicles" specified in the Start In box is not valid. Make sure that the folder exists and that the path is correct.

If I try to run compatibility testing or play as administrator it wants me to enter a new profile.

That problem may clear up if you copy the save folder to both locations. Otherwise when you change the compatibility the game will be looking for a save folder in the place where it isn't, and will think you're just starting the game.

Re: myst uru complete chronicles [Re: oldbroad] #913870
09/15/13 06:56 PM
09/15/13 06:56 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Well, I managed to do move the Save folder. I still cannot do compatibility mode. I did a Test Compatibility Setting which came up with XP Service Pack 2 which got me going but when I tried to save the settings it said "Incompatible Application detected". However, when I went back in under "run as administrator" I was able to continue playing.

So, other than the fact that I think I hate this game, I am back in business.

Thank you Jenny100 and for your suggestion Kaki's Sister.

Re: myst uru complete chronicles [Re: oldbroad] #913912
09/16/13 05:16 AM
09/16/13 05:16 AM
Marlborough USA
Kaki's Sister Offline
Sonic Boomer
Kaki's Sister  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Marlborough USA
It's a wonderful game oldbroad. I hope you get to finish without anymore mishaps! Good Luck! Enjoy!

Gerry
Re: myst uru complete chronicles [Re: oldbroad] #913947
09/16/13 10:11 AM
09/16/13 10:11 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Good luck, Oldbroad.
Hope you enjoy the game.

Re: myst uru complete chronicles [Re: oldbroad] #914031
09/16/13 10:45 PM
09/16/13 10:45 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I'm trying to, I'm trying to.
Thanks!!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (manxman, Urban Worrier, Orion), 171 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users