GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Game video walkthroughs #914942
09/22/13 09:27 AM
09/22/13 09:27 AM
london uk
chrissie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

london uk
What do you think about them?
I confess to using one for a game (I can't remember which one now) where there seemed to be no text walkthrough for or maybe it wasn't detailed enough? It was so hard to pinpoint the bit I needed!

Out of interest I've just looked at a couple of You Tube videos for The Cat Lady (it's an example but what I'm about to say could apply to many other game walkthroughs presented there!)

In both cases the presenter had never played the game before so here you are watching someone struggling through the game! My thought was that I can do that myself! lol

The worst was the one with the inset of the poster with headphones throughout! - I couldn't work out the point of that & even worse, while I don't mind thoughtful dialogue pertinent to the game I really don't care for 'crass' comments, swearing & verbal diarrhoea! For me, for a video play through to work the person has to have played the game before so it's direct, know all the angles & present a commentary that's sensitive to the game. I don't mind personal views as long as it's not self-indulgent warbling!

Re: Game video walkthroughs [Re: chrissie] #914970
09/22/13 10:35 AM
09/22/13 10:35 AM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
It varies from one genre to another, but it seems to me that a fair number of YouTube playthroughs are only intended by the presenters as entertainment for their subscribers, rather than any great motivation to guide the casual viewer-in-need-of-a-hint through a stuck point. You're watching the vid for the presenter's personality, rather than their know-how. (I subscribe to a fair few myself, and they are usually outside of the adventure genre.)

There are (of course) exceptions to that generalisation. Arglefumph, for one, who records informative walkthroughs for every Nancy Drew game.

If a presenter is playing a game through for the first time, and they have no idea what's what or where or how, then to title that series as a "Walkthrough" is grossly misleading.

"Bleat, Watson -- unmitigated bleat!" ~ Sherlock Holmes
Re: Game video walkthroughs [Re: chrissie] #914974
09/22/13 10:55 AM
09/22/13 10:55 AM
MaG Offline
Sonic Boomer
MaG  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Th Sherlock Holmes walkthrough by gewurzuk are well done.

Re: Game video walkthroughs [Re: chrissie] #914976
09/22/13 11:12 AM
09/22/13 11:12 AM
Connecticut
Ewil02 Offline
Settled Boomer
Ewil02  Offline
Settled Boomer

Connecticut

Like Rushes said, in a lot of cases you have to deal with the presenter's personality, which can be obnoxious. I usually try to watch the walkthrough with the sound muted only to where I'm stuck.
However, there are quite a few walkthrough presenters who are very knowledgeable and insightful. It's happened a few times where I couldn't get through a spot in a game with a text walkthrough, and with an audio/visual explanation from the Youtube walkthrough, was able to get past it.

Re: Game video walkthroughs [Re: Rushes] #914980
09/22/13 11:26 AM
09/22/13 11:26 AM
london uk
chrissie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Originally Posted By: Rushes
...but it seems to me that a fair number of YouTube playthroughs are only intended by the presenters as entertainment for their subscribers, rather than any great motivation to guide the casual viewer-in-need-of-a-hint through a stuck point.

I don't know what to say here Rushes as in my experience of the handful of video play throughs I've watched I'm just not interested in the presenters (most of them talk far too much!) - do people really watch them for the personality of the presenter? - that's such a bizarre idea to me but then again on the rare occasion I've used them it's for either a hint or a screenshot! lol

Quote:
There are (of course) exceptions to that generalisation. Arglefumph, for one, who records informative walkthroughs for every Nancy Drew game.
That's what I like to see!

Quote:
If a presenter is playing a game through for the first time, and they have no idea what's what or where or how, then to title that series as a "Walkthrough" is grossly misleading.
The ones I sampled Rushes were called "gameplay" so perhaps not misleading but I guess I need to avoid those in the future!

MaG, I only ever use a video walkthrough as an absolute last resort for a hint, or to find a screenshot but it's good to know that there are some sincere ones for the Sherlock Holmes games!

Originally Posted By: Ewil02

However, there are quite a few walkthrough presenters who are very knowledgeable and insightful. It's happened a few times where I couldn't get through a spot in a game with a text walkthrough, and with an audio/visual explanation from the Youtube walkthrough, was able to get past it.
I think the video walkthroughs are a great idea Ewil if you're lucky enough to come across good ones as you did! How can you tell between the good & the bad without investing too much time first?

Last edited by chrissie; 09/22/13 11:34 AM. Reason: Just saw Ewil's post
Re: Game video walkthroughs [Re: chrissie] #914999
09/22/13 12:35 PM
09/22/13 12:35 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
Adventuregamefan8 does a nice playthrough though he seems to be doing a lot of casual games now.
Still, he has a lot of playthroughs of adventure games up on YouTube.

Gil.

Last edited by traveler; 09/22/13 04:40 PM. Reason: added a link

"Best not to think about it. I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought."
Re: Game video walkthroughs [Re: chrissie] #915036
09/22/13 04:05 PM
09/22/13 04:05 PM
Lost in the Arizona Desert
oldman Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldman  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Lost in the Arizona Desert
I kind of like the trend of youtube walkthroughs and the more help the better. Some of the individuals that post video walkthroughs are hard to swallow and I just turn them off but for the most part I think they are trying to help as well as get noticed.

I have used them on occasion mostly when I run into a pixel hunt and can't find a location of where to find a particular switch etc. The drawback being that you have to go through a lot of video just to get to the point you are looking for.

You laugh because I'm different
I laugh because you're all the same

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

John
Re: Game video walkthroughs [Re: chrissie] #915061
09/22/13 07:04 PM
09/22/13 07:04 PM
Connecticut
Ewil02 Offline
Settled Boomer
Ewil02  Offline
Settled Boomer

Connecticut

I guess it's one of those situations where too much information is better than not enough. With the video walkthroughs, at least you have an option (besides Gameboomers) to go to if you're stuck and the text walkthrough doesn't cut it.

As far as the time investment, I think it's worth the time to do a complete search before giving up and not completing the game.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 230 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users