GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Before The Last Crown is Discovered - The Halloween Haunting - Updated [Re: TJL] #922190
11/03/13 10:49 AM
11/03/13 10:49 AM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
Well I don't feel scammed or tricked..

I feel more work had to be done to make the game work well on all computers...

I will wait cause I still have all my Halloween lights up, and I will light them when the game is released. ghost2

Love You.. Jonathan

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
"Games Are More Enticing Because Of Our "MaG"nificent Efficient Radiant Site"
Re: Before The Last Crown is Discovered - The Halloween Haunting - Updated [Re: Darleen03] #922216
11/03/13 11:56 AM
11/03/13 11:56 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
There are so many reasons why a game release might have to be delayed and I hardly think "tricks or scams" by Jonathan Boakes is one of them !!

And I, too, am one of those happy to wait for any game of his for it will surely be good yes

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Before The Last Crown is Discovered - The Halloween Haunting - Updated [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #922223
11/03/13 12:12 PM
11/03/13 12:12 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Online content OP
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Online Content OP
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
I have been in contact with Jonathon and to use scammed or tricked on something that he is working on or promised is offending to me. He said it was called Halloween Haunting and was coming soon. You are not out money (there were no preorders) and he is working on making it great, because that is what he does. No where did it state a firm release date and even it did, things happen.

So many are requesting updates on the games they are waiting for, yet when we do get some word and post it, it gets negative comments from naysayers. It isn't a wonder that developers and publishers are silent or don't want us to post the info they give us on progress. Have you never done a home improvement project, or knitting or anything else in your life that you thought would be done in a certain amount of time and unforeseen things came up and it took longer? No different for these people.

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Before The Last Crown is Discovered - The Halloween Haunting - Updated [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #922227
11/03/13 12:22 PM
11/03/13 12:22 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Very well said, Ana. wave

Re: Before The Last Crown is Discovered - The Halloween Haunting - Updated [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #922232
11/03/13 12:33 PM
11/03/13 12:33 PM
Germany
seagul Offline
Settled Boomer
seagul  Offline
Settled Boomer

Germany
Ana, you said it wonderfully.
I may add: why are the games of Jonathan Boakes so exceptional?
Because he creates them in a special kind of way. And he only releases them when he feels they are "round", perfect or whatever word you want to use. When it feels right to him, it feels right to us. I am sure that his games would be normal games, if he would not let them grow in this kind of way.
Sorry. I'm very bad at phrasing this.

Re: Before The Last Crown is Discovered - The Halloween Haunting - Updated [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #922233
11/03/13 12:39 PM
11/03/13 12:39 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Unless a game is already finished, there is no way to predict when it will be released. There's these things called bugs that crop up at inopportune times, and which have to be dealt with.

You can release a buggy game, and have gamers unable to play it, or you can delay the release and try to get rid of the bugs. Bugs can take the form of game crashes, invisible graphics, dead ends, games not starting at all, and pretty much anything you can imagine and then some.

I'm sure no one is more disappointed than Jonathan that he wasn't able to get The Halloween Haunting finished and ready to distribute by Halloween.

Anyone who thinks a delay in a game's release is a "scam" is welcome to create their own games and learn about the realities of coding games first hand. Each game is different, and will require unique solutions for eliminating bugs. Fixing one bug may cause a new one. You can't predict how long it will take to get rid of them. If the game isn't finished, the release date can only be a "best guess."

Like everyone else, I hope The Halloween Haunting is released soon. But don't ever trust release dates unless the game is finished and debugged and just waiting around for the release date. Play something else in the meantime instead of slamming the developer, who is doing his best and is probably working 24 hours a day trying to get his game ready.

Re: Before The Last Crown is Discovered - The Halloween Haunting - Updated [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #922236
11/03/13 12:50 PM
11/03/13 12:50 PM
Texas
T
Terri824 Offline
Addicted Boomer
Terri824  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

Texas
Wow, I'm in shock by the attitudes. It's only a game, it will be released when it's completed, take a chill pill. I'm sure you can find something else to occupy your time, so lay down the torches and the pitchforks.
I for one am willing to wait because I know when it is released it's going to be a great game!!
Terri
Jonathan Boakes urock

When you live in the past, it costs you the present.
Re: Before The Last Crown is Discovered - The Halloween Haunting - Updated [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #922240
11/03/13 01:49 PM
11/03/13 01:49 PM
Plymouth, Devon,UK
G
gruffy Offline
Settled Boomer
gruffy  Offline
Settled Boomer
G

Plymouth, Devon,UK
Id rather wait for the game to be ready, bug free and late than rushed out too soon like Rome total war 2 (which is one of the most troublesome, bugged and patched game ive ever played!)

Lost crown / halloween haunting will be out soon just be patient!

If you want trouble, get yourself a redhead!
Re: Before The Last Crown is Discovered - The Halloween Haunting - Updated [Re: gruffy] #922241
11/03/13 02:14 PM
11/03/13 02:14 PM
Finland
T
TJL Offline
Settled Boomer
TJL  Offline
Settled Boomer
T

Finland
It feels so ridiculous to even say this but wouldn't it have been best to surprise us with a/the finished game(s) ready to be published and not even mention it/them before that point? While we have had enough patience to wait for years already, what had couple of months more been? Or even more years if needed? As already told here several times by different persons we all know how complicated things in this business can be, or turn, shouldn't we have learnt something already?

Re: Before The Last Crown is Discovered - The Halloween Haunting - Updated [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #922242
11/03/13 02:25 PM
11/03/13 02:25 PM
San Francisco area, Calif.
Carrie Offline
Settled Boomer
Carrie  Offline
Settled Boomer

San Francisco area, Calif.
For the years I've been here, my experience is that we're all --pretty much-- a group of patient & kindly people... almost childlike in our anticipation of a game's release. Some of us (myself pacify included) might get a little 'pouty' when we don't get what we want when we expect it, but that's been the extent of it. And anything said is said in jest.

Never, ever would I ascribe negative terms to the people who work so hard to bring us the games that transport us into fantastical, other-worldly places... away from our (maybe) hum-drum lives.

happydance Anticipation is half the fun. I hope Jonathan & team take the time they need and bring us the best games possible.

Although I always say, "I can't wait".... I certainly can. And will! grin

catrub
Re: Before The Last Crown is Discovered - The Halloween Haunting - Updated [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #922246
11/03/13 02:44 PM
11/03/13 02:44 PM
Wales
meryl Offline
Settled Boomer
meryl  Offline
Settled Boomer

Wales
Hello Terri
I think there has been only one poster ascribing negative terms to the developers. As you mention "attitudes" in the plural may I make it clear that my post merely describes my enthusiasm "going off the boil" (a personal and harmless statement of fact) and that I do not share the attitude that there are any scams or tricks involved by the developers, or that they are in any way at fault for delays.
I, too, believe the game will probably come out in its own time but I am no longer holding my breath in the way I have been; that's all.
Meryl

Re: Before The Last Crown is Discovered - The Halloween Haunting - Updated [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #922254
11/03/13 04:29 PM
11/03/13 04:29 PM
Texas
T
Terri824 Offline
Addicted Boomer
Terri824  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

Texas
Not a problem Meryl. I did not realize that I was accusatory toward you. My apologies!

When you live in the past, it costs you the present.
Re: Before The Last Crown is Discovered - The Halloween Haunting - Updated [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #922270
11/03/13 08:26 PM
11/03/13 08:26 PM
C
CountZero Offline
Settled Boomer
CountZero  Offline
Settled Boomer
C

I, like a lot of people, have been playing computer games since pong came out. For many years games have been announced, released months, years later or not at all. Today, I just play the games that are released and pay very little attention to the hype of game announcements. Its easier that way smile

Re: Before The Last Crown is Discovered - The Halloween Haunting - Updated [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #922278
11/03/13 10:31 PM
11/03/13 10:31 PM
Hicksville, NY USA
S
sanford Offline
Addicted Boomer
sanford  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Hicksville, NY USA
My thanks to all of you "positive thinkers". Somebody posted that "it's only a game", and there are many other games that we could be playing in the meantime. With all of the troubles in this world, is a GAME so important in the whole scheme of things? Let's be patient and let Jonathan "get it right" according to HIS high standards----- And he WILL, because of who is is in this business.
It will be worth the wait, believe me.
Sandy

Re: Before The Last Crown is Discovered - The Halloween Haunting - Updated [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #922287
11/04/13 12:34 AM
11/04/13 12:34 AM
Northeast Pa.
S
SCOTTY Offline
Settled Boomer
SCOTTY  Offline
Settled Boomer
S

Northeast Pa.
The way I see it there are 2 options......

OPTION A..... Rush to release the game before it's completed to it's full potential so you don't upset or anger people. Then you play the game & it's not what you expected & you're upset anyway.

OPTION B.... Take as much time as needed to put out a GREAT finished product & when you've finished the game & the credits roll...you sit back in your chair with a smile on your face & anticipation begins to build as you think about what's coming next.

NUFF SAID

Re: Before The Last Crown is Discovered - The Halloween Haunting - Updated [Re: SCOTTY] #922293
11/04/13 01:31 AM
11/04/13 01:31 AM
Hicksville, NY USA
S
sanford Offline
Addicted Boomer
sanford  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Hicksville, NY USA
SCOTTY, my thoughts exactly. When Jonathan SAYS it's ready, you can be SURE that it WILL be ready for us to enjoy the game to it's fullest extent. HAPPY GAMING!
Sandy

Re: Before The Last Crown is Discovered - The Halloween Haunting - Updated [Re: Terri824] #922304
11/04/13 03:49 AM
11/04/13 03:49 AM
Wales
meryl Offline
Settled Boomer
meryl  Offline
Settled Boomer

Wales
No worries Terri. Just wanted to make things clear.
Apologies for the time delay in response. Different time zone!

Re: Before The Last Crown is Discovered - The Halloween Haunting [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #922440
11/04/13 07:34 PM
11/04/13 07:34 PM
The Sweetheart Town
Trisha Offline
Settled Boomer
Trisha  Offline
Settled Boomer

The Sweetheart Town
I was offended to read someone state that we were scammed and to say that the trailer Jonathan published for us for Halloween was lousy that is a terrible thing to say. I love all of Jonathan's games and they make take awhile for him to finish but when they are done,they are awesome games without bugs and issues for us players to deal with. I am and will continue to wait patiently for the Halloween Haunting no matter how long it takes to finish. urock Jonathan!!!

Re: Before The Last Crown is Discovered - The Halloween Haunting [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #922525
11/05/13 04:43 AM
11/05/13 04:43 AM
Finland
T
TJL Offline
Settled Boomer
TJL  Offline
Settled Boomer
T

Finland
I notice my (TJL) first post on this thread has waken up strong feelings. Did you also read my second one? Please read them both with some care and not just pick up some loose words. You must also understand some cultural differences. I am aware of those differences but it is often so easy to forget them and not to soften your opinion especially when you've got something negative to say. I come from a culture where people dare to say their honest opinion face to face when things go not so fine. Those words are not to mock anyone but give some honest feedback that something did not go fine this time and I'm not happy. In my culture people can also take such feedback. It is no bigger than life thing. Because english is not my native language I may also accidentally use terms that give stronger impression than actually meant to. I apologize if some of you feel offended.

Since playing the first time a game by Jonathan Boakes I have been a fan of his. I have played the all and find them from good to brilliant. I find "The Lost Crown" the most gripping adventure ever. After playing it I felt kind of empty for a long time because it was such a masterpiece that other games could not raise even close to it. When there is time to praise his work I'll do it. But I also tell when I'm not happy.

I don't know reasons behind giving a schedule for "The Last Crown" to be ready by Halloween last April. Jonathan himself told a month ago the process had taken unexpectedly long for "The Last Crown" and it was not going to be finished by Halloween. Fine, no problem. But with the same breath he promised us "The Halloween Haunting" and we had no reason not to believe to that schedule, especially when he was considering such a minor nuance as which cover art to use in his blog October 15th. The official home page gave a frame to the story and talked about a game to be published soon, not any teaser. That was what we all believed in. But what we actually got was an "interactive" teaser. Why bother making it "interactive"? I "played" it through three times and it didn't actually react to the choices you made. I had been happier to just watch a cut scene. Should we just be happy for that? By my opinion not. Something must have happened behind the scenes. This was not something Jonathan nor Darkling Room wanted to give us. This didn't go well and they know it better than any of us. I have nothing against either, I just tell how I honestly felt. My recipe to keep customers happy is: never give promises you can't keep, no matter for what reason. Designing such brilliant games, experiences to be true, is work of art. An artist always needs his time and let us all give it for him.

Re: Before The Last Crown is Discovered - The Halloween Haunting [Re: TJL] #922562
11/05/13 09:01 AM
11/05/13 09:01 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
"I could never believe to this kind of scam we see now."

That is the last sentence of your first post, TLJ, and probably helped fire up the reactions your post has met with.

I doubt Jonathan Boakes ever "scammed" anyone.
Or does "scam" have a different meaning in Finland ??

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Before The Last Crown is Discovered - The Halloween Haunting [Re: Mad] #922576
11/05/13 09:43 AM
11/05/13 09:43 AM
Finland
T
TJL Offline
Settled Boomer
TJL  Offline
Settled Boomer
T

Finland
Dear Mad,

"Plot, story, ploy, story line, ruse, chicane, caper, canery, dodge, gimmick, ...". Google translate gives many "synonyms" for scam.

Like in finnish language there are several words that can be used. Some better, some worse, depending on situation.

But feel free to throw the first stone if you think you manage any better "translating" your thoughts to my language.

Re: Before The Last Crown is Discovered - The Halloween Haunting [Re: TJL] #922587
11/05/13 10:31 AM
11/05/13 10:31 AM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
I just hope he is OK on a personal level..

There are no post on his blog or twitter..

The last post was on Oct 30th.

My prayers Jonathan your alright.. kissy

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
Re: Before The Last Crown is Discovered - The Halloween Haunting [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #922598
11/05/13 11:05 AM
11/05/13 11:05 AM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Online content OP
BrownEyedTigre  Online Content OP
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Darleen, Jonathan is fine and working on getting the games done. No worries there. grin

TJL, please do not use your culture to explain why you used your words as you did. There is a difference of being honest and direct in your reaction and that has nothing to do with using flammatory words to describe Jonathan's intent.

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Before The Last Crown is Discovered - The Halloween Haunting [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #922601
11/05/13 11:08 AM
11/05/13 11:08 AM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
Thanks, Ana

Glad to hear he is ok... I appreciate that update...

woot

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
Re: Before The Last Crown is Discovered - The Halloween Haunting [Re: Darleen03] #922603
11/05/13 11:10 AM
11/05/13 11:10 AM
qadventuregames Offline
Settled Boomer
qadventuregames  Offline
Settled Boomer

Gosh folks, I hate when we get in a he said, you said, they said frame of mind.

Even if you don't agree with a post, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Please let's just let this go, and get back to doing what we do best, playing and enjoying games.

Jonathan whenever you are ready with any of your games my wallet is there.

Till then I'll dig out an old favorite and play my little brain out.

Q

You do not get Harmony, if you all sing the same note.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (BrownEyedTigre, Draclvr, manxman), 279 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users