GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
New computer specs #947691
03/31/14 05:13 PM
03/31/14 05:13 PM
Ohio
N
Newgames Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Newgames  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
N

Ohio
Thank you all for the help to buy a new computer !! They said it was a good system specs that you gave me

I went into fry's electronics and put the specs in for a new computer and here is what they gave me
Please tell me if this is ok for adventure gaming and time management games NO RPG and of course office work
Thank you..

Price - item
$25 2X LG OEM DVDRW 24x INTERNAL SATA – GH24NS95
$140. 240GB PNY XLR8 SSD SSD9SC240GMDA-RB
90 ASUS B85M-E / CSM MOBO INTEL B85 MATX 1150
30 MBB 3 YEARS
100 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SEAL ATA/600 OR 1TB IS $80
20 HDD WARRANTY SEAGATE
100 MS WINDOWS 8.1 64-BIT OEM
140 MICROSOFT HOME & STUDENT 2013
170 DDR3 16GB 1600MHZ DUAL (2X8GB MODULES CL9
220 INTEL I5 4670 BOXED 4TH GEN SOCKET 1150 3.40 GHZ + 6MB CACHE
340 ASUS GEFORCE GTX770 2TGB
36 ASUS XONAR DG 5.1 GX2.5 SUPPORT
50 TT TR2 500W PSU SMART 120MM FAN
45 ENERMAX OSTROG BR CASE – INTERNAL USB 3.0 PORT -
2 USB 3.0 PORT – BACK, 4 USB PORTS – BACK, 2 USB PORT – FRONT
ROOM space FOR A FLOPPY DRIVE(don't need it but could I put the old one in)
OR $100 CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES 400R CASE
50 COMPLETE SYSTEM BUILD
3 YEAR WARRANT + THREE YEAR FREE PICKUP AND RETURN

Re: New computer specs [Re: Newgames] #947694
03/31/14 05:43 PM
03/31/14 05:43 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
With a 2TB Geforce GTX 770 it will play adventure games and a whole lot more.
I wouldn't put the floppy in unless you need one for something -- for example if you have a collection of old DOS games on floppy and you enjoy playing them in DOSBox.

Re: New computer specs [Re: Newgames] #947697
03/31/14 05:57 PM
03/31/14 05:57 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Online content
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Online Content
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Looks good... You can play all the most demanding shooters and RPGs with that video card. I threw away all my old floppies a long time ago. Flash drives are SO much better!

That ASUS Xonar sound card if pretty high end sound... you should have some very high end computer speakers to take advantage of it. 16 GB of Ram is a lot of memory for you kind of usage, but it won't hurt anything.

How are you going to be using the solid state drive? If it's as a boot drive, you will have to make some adjustments to how you download items and install games and programs so they go to the hard drive. 240 GB is a nice size, but depending on how much you put on it, it could fill up quickly.

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: New computer specs [Re: Newgames] #947700
03/31/14 06:15 PM
03/31/14 06:15 PM
Ohio
N
Newgames Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Newgames  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
N

Ohio
I was going to use it for a boot drive and microsoft programs. I am having a problem now when I turn on the computer. It seems that it takes forever. I am only used to 2 drives - C and D Any suggestions??

I love the flash drives rather than a DVD but it came with a small disk drive space in the case. Sorry wrong one - disk
$45 was not bad of a price and room to add things. Do you have another suggestion?

I just have system speakers that came with the Gateway GM5076E

I like the case because it has the 2 USB ports on the top of the case.

Last edited by Newgames; 03/31/14 06:22 PM.
Re: New computer specs [Re: Newgames] #947730
03/31/14 09:09 PM
03/31/14 09:09 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Online content
Draclvr  Online Content
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
It's fine that your have a solid state boot drive for the operating system and some programs. It's just that you will have to pay attention to where you install things and be sure you are making use of that huge hard drive. I have a similar setup on my Windows 7 system and it's not a big deal - you just have to pay a bit of attention to things.

We were talking about not putting in a floppy drive. You should definitely put in a DVD drive.

The motherboard you have selected already has on-board sound. If you are a real audiophile, it's fine to put in a 5.1 sound card like the Xonar. However, that kind of sound quality is kind of lost on a pair of low-end speakers. Most of the time, on-board sound is pretty good and would probably pair up just fine with your old speakers. If you go with the Xonar, to get the most out of a sound card like that, you should definitely invest in some good speakers.

Most all good computer cases have USB ports on the front or the top. But I also like the looks of the Enermax. It's a lower end case, but gets pretty good reviews at Newegg. One thing you might want to think about if you put in a big higher end video card is that this case only comes with one 120 mm rear exhaust fan. The case has options for more fans and I would definitely ask your builder about adding another fan or two.

The Corsair case is a better case and already has enough case fans. It's very highly rated at Newegg.

Re: New computer specs [Re: Draclvr] #947743
03/31/14 10:30 PM
03/31/14 10:30 PM
Ohio
N
Newgames Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Newgames  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
N

Ohio
Thank you for your suggestions.

With this one is 2 dvd drives for copy DVD's and 8 USB ports 2 front and 6 back.
While the corsair has only 7 ports. Is there a case with 2 fans and 8 USB ports. For a low price
I need the ports for the printer, external hard drive, wireless keyboard and mouse, etc.
I am already over my budget of $1600. This one is $2000.

All I really what is a high speed computer with 7 usb ports, 2 DVD drives, SDD drive for gaming.
I am used to a C drive and D drive. What do I have worry about to place operating files? D drive
I am novice on hardware. The simply the better. wave

Re: New computer specs [Re: Newgames] #947744
03/31/14 10:48 PM
03/31/14 10:48 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Online content
Draclvr  Online Content
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
The Corsair has two USB 3.0 ports on the top and the Enermax has one USB 2.0 and two USB 3.0 ports on the top. You should consider getting more fans if you choose the Enermax.

Your mother board has four USB 2.0 ports and two USB 3.0 ports. So your motherboard already has 6 USB ports (USB 3.0 is backwards compatible to USB 2.0) and the cases have either two or three. So you've already got a minimum of 8 USB ports no matter which case you choose.

If you have more than 8 things you need to plug in, you can always buy an inexpensive USB hub and plug in as many things as you want.

If your budget is pressed, I would suggest dropping back on the video card. It is already way more than you need for your usage. See what a GTX 760 would be or maybe a 750Ti... You can always drop back to 8 GB of RAM too. 16 GB of RAM is also more than you will ever need. I play high demand shooters and RPGs and never come close to using all of my 8 GB.

Virtually no computers come with two DVD drives any more - most people are no longer using DVDs for burning from one DVD to another. Most people are using flash drives or external drives. That might be another place you could save a few bucks.

What I mean with the two drives is that if you have your operating system on the SSD and some of your most used programs and games it won't take long to fill up that 250 GB drive. You also have a huge 2 TB hard drive where you should put files like pictures and documents. If your SSD starts getting full, then when you install a game or a program, you will have to make sure to tell it to install to the hard drive. Otherwise it will install to your SSD (which will be the C drive by default). It's not a big deal - you just have to pay attention to your SSD and make sure you use that huge hard drive for everything but your most used programs. If you have a lot of games, it won't take long to use up that 250 GB SSD.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Koala, Uncle Reg), 71 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users