GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level [Re: jeff] #949720
04/12/14 03:02 PM
04/12/14 03:02 PM
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
judith Offline
Addicted Boomer
judith  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Oh! that would be great. Your timing is wonderful, because I just tried to install ROTS yesterday, but it wouldn't work. Big Fish has the game for download, so I tried the demo of it, alas it wouldn't work either, so I will certainly be buying this. Thank you.

A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.
Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level [Re: judith] #949721
04/12/14 03:49 PM
04/12/14 03:49 PM
Moselle, MO 63077
jeff Offline OP
Shy Boomer
jeff  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

Moselle, MO 63077
Originally Posted By: judith
Oh! that would be great. Your timing is wonderful, because I just tried to install ROTS yesterday, but it wouldn't work. Big Fish has the game for download, so I tried the demo of it, alas it wouldn't work either, so I will certainly be buying this. Thank you.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble installing the old ROTS, but it's not a surprise. Thanks for your vote of confidence. We are close (days away) from launching now, and feel as though the overwhelming response is positive.

If you can hold on a little while, the new experience will outweigh what you would've played yesterday. Although the original was the best we could do at the time, my jaw keeps dropping at what we're able to do with the 15th anniversary real-time 3d edition!

Thanks again for your support... to all of you! laugh

Jeff Tobler
LifeTree Games

Developer of Riddle of the Sphinx
Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level [Re: jeff] #949776
04/13/14 05:19 AM
04/13/14 05:19 AM
Marlborough USA
Kaki's Sister Offline
Sonic Boomer
Kaki's Sister  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Marlborough USA
I'm holding Jeff as long as it takes. thumbsup

Gerry
Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level [Re: jeff] #949871
04/13/14 10:55 PM
04/13/14 10:55 PM
Hicksville, NY USA
S
sanford Offline
Addicted Boomer
sanford  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Hicksville, NY USA
Hi Jeff,
I think it would be advisable for you to put out an actual DEMO of the updated game so we could all try it on our individual computers. That way, each of us would know if it WILL or if it WON'T work on our computers. I can tell you that if it runs on MY computer, I will be the first one on line to purchase it.
Sandy

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level [Re: jeff] #949955
04/14/14 11:46 AM
04/14/14 11:46 AM
Kiev, Ukraine
Iurii Offline
Addicted Boomer
Iurii  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Kiev, Ukraine
jeff, those are great news indeed, thanks a lot! "Riddle of the Sphinx" is one of my favorite games, and I am anxiously waiting for your Kickstarter campaign and for 'The Scroll' to be unrolled!

However, I am a little bit cautious about the ROTS 3D-remake. First, I am very fond of its Russian version (as well as that of 'Omega stone'), and I am afraid it would be too much to ask for a decent translation of the remake into many other languages.

And second, after playing the new Real Myst remake in Unity, well, I just went back to good old 2D Myst smile While Cyan did make an option to choose between 'free roaming' WASD and point-and-click interfaces, both ways of playing Unity-Myst were rather uncomfortable for me. I hope your remake would be better! Anyway, I still have the original Russian version of ROTS, and it runs just fine on my Windows 7 x64.

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level [Re: sanford] #950084
04/15/14 03:37 AM
04/15/14 03:37 AM
Moselle, MO 63077
jeff Offline OP
Shy Boomer
jeff  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

Moselle, MO 63077
Originally Posted By: sanford
Hi Jeff,
I think it would be advisable for you to put out an actual DEMO of the updated game so we could all try it on our individual computers. That way, each of us would know if it WILL or if it WON'T work on our computers. I can tell you that if it runs on MY computer, I will be the first one on line to purchase it.
Sandy

Hi Sandy, I wish we could put out a demo before the KS campaign, but I just don't think it will be feasible. Not even sure I will have the time during... BUT If I can, I will. While we are utilizing the latest in technology, we are not living on the bleeding edge with this one either - all in the hopes that more will be able to enjoy the game. If you can PM or post your specs, I can try to give you an answer as to whether or not you would be able to play ROTS 3D.

Originally Posted By: Iurii
jeff, those are great news indeed, thanks a lot! "Riddle of the Sphinx" is one of my favorite games, and I am anxiously waiting for your Kickstarter campaign and for 'The Scroll' to be unrolled!

However, I am a little bit cautious about the ROTS 3D-remake. First, I am very fond of its Russian version (as well as that of 'Omega stone'), and I am afraid it would be too much to ask for a decent translation of the remake into many other languages.

And second, after playing the new Real Myst remake in Unity, well, I just went back to good old 2D Myst smile While Cyan did make an option to choose between 'free roaming' WASD and point-and-click interfaces, both ways of playing Unity-Myst were rather uncomfortable for me. I hope your remake would be better! Anyway, I still have the original Russian version of ROTS, and it runs just fine on my Windows 7 x64.

Hi Iurii smile I think I can address both of these. I will review the russian localization (I'm the one who programmed the localizations as they came), but we are planning (if we can meet a stretch goal that would cover these add'l costs) on localizing the game to as many languages as possible. This was an afterthought with the original ROTS, but now we are pre-planning how to localize.

To your second point, in my opinoin, the 3d version is MUCH better than the original, graphically and environmentally speaking. And I have a generally low view of real-time 3D. But it's finally getting really, really good and accessible to gamers with "everyday" computers these days as opposed to the few in the past who had to have a NASA control center of a gaming setup. wink

Plus, we are not just plopping ROTS in a real-time 3D engine, but actually improving upon models, textures, adding detail that we either didn't or couldn't at the time, and the list goes on. Right now, we are examining the old models and textures, talking through the enhancements as we look at each chamber. I'm personally excited about the few chambers I've been working on in our initial feasibility R&D. So, I think - HOPE - you'll like it

But in another sense, we understand that the original will still have a certain look and feel that is worth keeping around for sentimental reasons and preference. Because of that, we are also planning on an enhanced edition of the original - point-n-click and everything the way it was, but higher-resolution graphics, richer colors, and support to play on iPad (possibly iPhones), too. This may come during or after ROTS 3D. It all depends on the campaign. And ironically, the iPad version was going to be the KS campaign, but we were more and more convinced ROTS needed to go 3D. I hope we don't disappointed you smile

Last edited by BrownEyedTigre; 04/15/14 10:13 AM. Reason: combined stacked posts

Jeff Tobler
LifeTree Games

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level [Re: jeff] #950093
04/15/14 05:57 AM
04/15/14 05:57 AM
Marlborough USA
Kaki's Sister Offline
Sonic Boomer
Kaki's Sister  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Marlborough USA
"But in another sense, we understand that the original will still have a certain look and feel that is worth keeping around for sentimental reasons and preference. Because of that, we are also planning on an enhanced edition of the original - point-n-click and everything the way it was, but higher-resolution graphics, richer colors,...."

Jeff keeping the redo like the original with the better graphics is the way to go in my opinion. Better graphics for me means a visually more enjoyable game

Gerry
Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level [Re: jeff] #950141
04/15/14 10:12 AM
Kiev, Ukraine
Iurii Offline
Addicted Boomer
Iurii  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Kiev, Ukraine
Jeff, thanks for your answer! Of course, I am not 'disappointed'. I think I will like any kind of your remake smile

Just one more thing about localizations to make my doubts more clear - you see,15 years ago there were not so many games out there so that to translate one into another language was quite more serious deed than it is now. For several years already I have not seen a single adventure game with a decent localization into Russian - I mean with all the voices, not just subtitles. Somehow a full localization is considered to be too expensive now. And ROTS with its many tape recordings (and no subtitles for them) makes rather difficult target for non-complete localization.

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level [Re: jeff] #950142
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: jeff
But in another sense, we understand that the original will still have a certain look and feel that is worth keeping around for sentimental reasons and preference. Because of that, we are also planning on an enhanced edition of the original - point-n-click and everything the way it was, but higher-resolution graphics, richer colors, and support to play on iPad (possibly iPhones), too. This may come during or after ROTS 3D.

I'm getting confused here.
Do you mean the point-and-click version will be a separate game?
Are you making a point-and-click version that is not 3D, while the 3D version will have options for either point-and-click or keyboard/gamepad control.

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level [Re: Jenny100] #950189
04/15/14 01:24 PM
04/15/14 01:24 PM
Moselle, MO 63077
jeff Offline OP
Shy Boomer
jeff  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

Moselle, MO 63077
Originally Posted By: Jenny100
But in another sense, we understand that the original will still have a certain look and feel that is worth keeping around for sentimental reasons and preference. Because of that, we are also planning on an enhanced edition of the original - point-n-click and everything the way it was, but higher-resolution graphics, richer colors, and support to play on iPad (possibly iPhones), too. This may come during or after ROTS 3D.

I'm getting confused here.
Do you mean the point-and-click version will be a separate game?
Are you making a point-and-click version that is not 3D, while the 3D version will have options for either point-and-click or keyboard/gamepad control.

Jenny, I'm glad you asked. I'll try to clear things.

ORIG SLIDE-SHOW BASED GAME FORMAT UPDATED FOR TABLETS AND NEW OS:
At some point, we are wanting to update and enhance the original point-n-click version - still graphics, same interface, same limitations though - but so that it would both play on todays Win and OS X as well as on iPad and tablets. This version would probably/hopefully have higher-res stills (retina support), but it would not have anything more than exists today. This version will most likely not happen if we don't fund for ROTS 3D, however, I've begun some work toward this, too. The new enhanced images are really beautiful for what they are.

NEW REAL-TIME 3D ROTS WITH ADDED DETAILS, LEVEL, AND GAMEPLAY:
The 15th anniversary edition is going to be totally redone in real-time 3D. It's a whole different experience - better in my opinion. Were the confusion may lie is in us providing a point-n-click "experience" within the 3D environment for those who get motion sick with real-time 3d navigation. But the user could at anytime decide to look wherever they so choose. There is so much that we wanted ROTS to be in the beginning that just wasn't possible then, but will be in the new version.

Our intention in the end is to offer both versions to the world: the classic version and the total immersion version.

Does this further muddy or clear up the Nile waters? smile

Originally Posted By: Iurii
Jeff, thanks for your answer! Of course, I am not 'disappointed'. I think I will like any kind of your remake smile

Just one more thing about localizations to make my doubts more clear - you see,15 years ago there were not so many games out there so that to translate one into another language was quite more serious deed than it is now. For several years already I have not seen a single adventure game with a decent localization into Russian - I mean with all the voices, not just subtitles. Somehow a full localization is considered to be too expensive now. And ROTS with its many tape recordings (and no subtitles for them) makes rather difficult target for non-complete localization.

Well, I think I have those recordings (I'll have to dig around to find them). But if I do, that makes our job much easier. I just have no idea how our KS will be received. If we can reach our ultimate stretch goals, there will be no problem doing all of this.

Last edited by BrownEyedTigre; 04/15/14 01:38 PM. Reason: combined stacked posts

Jeff Tobler
LifeTree Games

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level [Re: jeff] #950291
04/16/14 04:59 AM
04/16/14 04:59 AM
Marlborough USA
Kaki's Sister Offline
Sonic Boomer
Kaki's Sister  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Marlborough USA
Both version you propose sound great Jeff. I think I would like the 15th anniversary edition for that new experience!

Gerry
Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level [Re: jeff] #950355
04/16/14 11:46 AM
04/16/14 11:46 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
NEW REAL-TIME 3D ROTS WITH ADDED DETAILS, LEVEL, AND GAMEPLAY:
The 15th anniversary edition is going to be totally redone in real-time 3D. It's a whole different experience - better in my opinion. Were the confusion may lie is in us providing a point-n-click "experience" within the 3D environment for those who get motion sick with real-time 3d navigation. But the user could at anytime decide to look wherever they so choose.

Is the point-and-click 3D version going to be snapshot/slideshow style?
I hope any transitions between nodes can be either slowed down or turned off.

Perceived height off the ground seems to have an effect too -- the higher off the ground my point-of-view, the less the motion sickness. For example, in Uru -- the point-of-view is higher up when you have Uru set to see your character on the screen and I didn't have much problem playing in that mode. However I wasn't able to play Uru in 1st person mode (character not visible onscreen) where the point-of-view is lower to the ground. Once I tried playing an action/adventure, where the point-of-view was VERY low to the ground, and within seconds I got motion sickness so severe I couldn't continue -- and that was several years ago, when I was less prone to motion sickness in games.

I guess different things may provoke motion sickness in different people, but the ability to change your perceived height from the ground might help some people. I don't know how difficult it would be to implement with the game engine you're using though.

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level [Re: jeff] #951409
04/21/14 01:36 PM
04/21/14 01:36 PM
Hicksville, NY USA
S
sanford Offline
Addicted Boomer
sanford  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Hicksville, NY USA
Thanks for your reply, Jeff. I do realize that it would be too EARLY in the process to put out a DEMO right now. As far as the "specs" of my computer, in the past I've been told that a particular game will NOT work on my computer, but I tried the DEMOS, and they DID work after all. I hope that you WILL put out a demo in the future after you get the game developed to YOUR satisfaction. GOOD LUCK!
Sandy

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level [Re: sanford] #951495
04/22/14 02:24 AM
04/22/14 02:24 AM
Moselle, MO 63077
jeff Offline OP
Shy Boomer
jeff  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

Moselle, MO 63077
Well, a big THANK YOU to all of you for your input, encouragement to move forward, and the love you've always shown us smile If everything goes as planned, we are launching our Kickstarter campaign for Riddle 3d tomorrow. We have a video demo of one of the chambers in real-time 3d so you can see the detail and quality compared to the original. We're very excited by this and can't wait for you to experience Riddle of the Sphinx in real-time 3D! Thanks again laugh

Jeff Tobler
LifeTree Games

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level [Re: jeff] #951546
04/22/14 09:39 AM
04/22/14 09:39 AM
Palouse country
3dobermans Offline
Adept Boomer
3dobermans  Offline
Adept Boomer

Palouse country
Just have to add my two bits; ROTS was the first adventure game I ever played and was mesmerized by it. It was also the game that led me to GB for help.
I'll be waiting for whatever you decide to put forth.
Thank you.

Reading is to the mind, what exercise is to the body - Joseph Addison
Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level [Re: jeff] #951586
04/22/14 01:03 PM
04/22/14 01:03 PM
GreyFuss Offline
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Count me in Jeff. I am anious for the Kickstarter kick=off and to take a look at that video. thumbsup

"Don't Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful...There Are Many Other Reasons!"
Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level [Re: GreyFuss] #951638
04/22/14 05:48 PM
04/22/14 05:48 PM
Moselle, MO 63077
jeff Offline OP
Shy Boomer
jeff  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

Moselle, MO 63077
Well, it's official!! happydance

The Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D 15th Anniversary Edition Kickstarter page is LIVE at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jefftobler/riddle-of-the-sphinx-an-egyptian-adventure-in-real

Hope you enjoy what we've put together thus far. Please spread the word and help us re-build Riddle of the Sphinx smile

And THANK YOU all so much for your support!

Jeff, Karen, Charlie, and Christian (Riddle 3D Team)

Jeff Tobler
LifeTree Games

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level [Re: jeff] #951639
04/22/14 05:55 PM
04/22/14 05:55 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Exciting! I just watched the videos and it all looks great. I hope your Kickstarter meets its goal, and beyond. thumbsup

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level [Re: jeff] #951643
04/22/14 06:27 PM
04/22/14 06:27 PM
MaG Offline
Sonic Boomer
MaG  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Done! and luck Jeff.

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level [Re: jeff] #951659
04/22/14 08:45 PM
04/22/14 08:45 PM
Hicksville, NY USA
S
sanford Offline
Addicted Boomer
sanford  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Hicksville, NY USA
WOW! What a GREAT video demo, Jeff. Quite a difference from the original. Can't wait to get it. I will be first on line to purchase it. GOOD LUCK on your campaign.
Sandy

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level [Re: sanford] #951746
04/23/14 09:37 AM
04/23/14 09:37 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
What a difference in 3D !! Absolutely stunning !! Love it yay

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level [Re: jeff] #951761
04/23/14 10:36 AM
04/23/14 10:36 AM
Indiana
marie Offline
Addicted Boomer
marie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Indiana
I'm backing you Jeff, luck with the goal, I've got your back lol

Marie wave

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level [Re: marie] #951806
04/23/14 01:49 PM
04/23/14 01:49 PM
Ontario, Canada
colpet Offline
Addicted Boomer
colpet  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Ontario, Canada
Just backed the project. Hope to see some of the stretch goals.

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level [Re: jeff] #951882
04/23/14 11:39 PM
04/23/14 11:39 PM
Colorado
ssgamer Offline
Addicted Boomer
ssgamer  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Colorado
Just backed the project hoping for a great turn out. The Riddle was the first game I ever played, as I spent time working on a computer, and didn't want to take work home, but after spending a couple of times in Egypt with the Archaeology Institute Of America, great tours by the way, I bought the game after I came back in 2001 and have been hooked ever since. Archery paid the way, but Egypt was the dream.
Charllotte

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D - new level [Re: Marian] #951926
04/24/14 08:14 AM
04/24/14 08:14 AM
Moselle, MO 63077
jeff Offline OP
Shy Boomer
jeff  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

Moselle, MO 63077
Originally Posted By: Marian
Exciting! I just watched the videos and it all looks great. I hope your Kickstarter meets its goal, and beyond. thumbsup

Thanks for looking it over with another set of eyes smile We're working hard on getting the word out. Yes, we need to meet as much of the stretch goals as possible.

Originally Posted By: MaG
Done! and luck Jeff.

Thank you so much, MaG, for your support! Everyone here shouts a little "hooray!" when the backer bell goes off smile

Originally Posted By: sanford
WOW! What a GREAT video demo, Jeff. Quite a difference from the original. Can't wait to get it. I will be first on line to purchase it. GOOD LUCK on your campaign.
Sandy

Thank you, Sandy, for your vote of confidence. It is amazingly deeper, richer, and REAL smile This is how we envisioned it all along.

Originally Posted By: Mad
What a difference in 3D !! Absolutely stunning !! Love it yay

Mad, you said it. I'm sure I'm biased, but as objective as we can be, we can't believe how the whole visual and virtual experience is so familiar but as though the veil as been lifted with this version. I can't wait to finish the Giza Plateau area!!

Originally Posted By: marie
I'm backing you Jeff, luck with the goal, I've got your back lol

Marie wave

Marie, you're awesome! Thank you for your support smile We're "pressing" into the media these next few days to get the word out. Let us know if you have any suggestions.

Originally Posted By: colpet
Just backed the project. Hope to see some of the stretch goals.

Colpet, THANK YOU for helping us meet our goals. Every little and big pledge is one step closer to funding Riddle in real-time 3D. We are hopeful it will happen, but we also know we will be laboring during this time to get the word out. Really appreciate your help!

Originally Posted By: ssgamer
Just backed the project hoping for a great turn out. The Riddle was the first game I ever played, as I spent time working on a computer, and didn't want to take work home, but after spending a couple of times in Egypt with the Archaeology Institute Of America, great tours by the way, I bought the game after I came back in 2001 and have been hooked ever since. Archery paid the way, but Egypt was the dream.
Charllotte

Charllotee, Riddle was more than just a game for us. We had that archaeology, Egyptology, and all things mystery bug in as we began to develop the ROTS. I think this time around, with the virtual exploration that much more realistic and fully accessible via real-time 3D, just the first part of the game will be an asset to those who've never visited the Sphinx and been inside the Great Pyramid. I spent so much effort getting every little detail in there just so (except for the graffiti - lol!). Thanks again. smile

Last edited by MaG; 04/24/14 09:09 AM.

Jeff Tobler
LifeTree Games

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 249 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users