GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
First Look at Broken Age #941507
02/22/14 11:08 AM
02/22/14 11:08 AM
Isle of Man
gremlin Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
gremlin  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Isle of Man

Quote:

What have we here?
Kickstarter is a new way of raising finance for all sorts of projects, physical, electronic or in software. It means that the old way of selling games via publishers who put the money up front to fund development is no longer the only way to get things done. People and companies that do crowd-funding well (for this is what this new way is known as) can get their project out in front of a buying public long before the game is made. But reputation is a fantastically important part of the gig. If you have a good one, raising funds from the public is relatively easy; they know they can trust the project to deliver, more often than not. But if you don't have a good reputation, funding is harder to achieve.
Some really big companies (in terms of reputation, if not necessarily size) have done this well: Cyan's next game, Obduction, is Kickstarter funded for example (disclaimer: I backed this one), as well as the next stories in the Longest Journey and Divinity series. (the second is a Darkside game that is well known on that board, but less well known amongst 'Boomers in general).
So, who's next? Tim Schafer, of various Monkey Island games, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, and Psychonauts fame, that's who. Double Fine (the company run by Schafer) have run a Kickstarter project to raise $400,000 for an untitled 'adventure game' and obtained over £3.3 MILLION as a result... no pressure then, though it's clear what people think of Schafer, et al, as a bet in terms of game development!
The upshot of this is that we now have Broken Age; the aforementioned 'adventure game'. Act 1 is currently available on Steam, with a free update for Act 2 when it's released later in 2014.

Notes from a short journey
Being an adventure game means certain tropes are almost inevitable: point and click interface, puzzles, an inventory and plenty of dialogue. Broken Age has all these. What it also has is two story lines. One for a boy named Shay, and one for a girl named Vella. They live in very different worlds, that you can switch between at any time via a button in the bottom right corner of the screen. I took the simple route of playing as far as possible through Shay's story before switching to Vella. In retrospect, I would probably benefit from trying again, but switching between the lines at different points. I'm not sure if there will be any difference, but the experiment should be carried out. (No small animals will be harmed during this experiment)
Vella and Shay both live animated lives in pre-rendered scenes, but with plenty going on in them. Shay lives on a space ship where he is completely molly-coddled by the automated systems, where Vella is much more free to roam in a world blessed or threatened (opinions appear to differ on this subject) by Mog Chothra.
Puzzles revolve around inventory items (as we've come to expect in adventure games) and devices. There's a teleported puzzle for Shay, and a inventory weight management puzzle for Vella - she's walking in the clouds, believe me, it makes sense in the circumstances. Really! It does.

Jumping to conclusions?
Tim Schafer's ability to create two contrasting worlds with compelling stories and leading characters is clearly undiminished since the time of Grim Fandango (considered by many, including me, to be something of a magnum opus in gaming), etc. I enjoyed Act 1 of Broken Age, and I'm certainly looking forward to Act 2, later this year. My only note of disappointment is that Act 1 only took about four hours to play, and I don't think I'm the world's fastest puzzler.

Re: First Look at Broken Age [Re: gremlin] #943811
03/08/14 02:44 PM
03/08/14 02:44 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Thanks, Gremlin wave

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: First Look at Broken Age [Re: gremlin] #947209
03/29/14 02:53 PM
03/29/14 02:53 PM
Lower Mainland, BC
mission Offline
Settled Boomer
mission  Offline
Settled Boomer

Lower Mainland, BC
Looks good. Nice graphics too.

Re: First Look at Broken Age [Re: mission] #947905
04/01/14 09:03 PM
04/01/14 09:03 PM
ipad_Lover Offline
Settled Boomer
ipad_Lover  Offline
Settled Boomer

I like this review. I'm getting this game as a day one release purchase. Thanks for getting me motivated to get this game.

I love playing adventure games like Gemini Rue on my ipad mini and Gray Matter on my PC Netbook.

Re: First Look at Broken Age [Re: gremlin] #948032
04/02/14 02:56 PM
04/02/14 02:56 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Come back and let us know what you think of it wave

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: First Look at Broken Age [Re: gremlin] #948184
04/03/14 03:32 PM
04/03/14 03:32 PM
Plymouth, Devon,UK
G
gruffy Offline
Settled Boomer
gruffy  Offline
Settled Boomer
G

Plymouth, Devon,UK
Good review! I like the graphics !

If you want trouble, get yourself a redhead!
Re: First Look at Broken Age [Re: gremlin] #950298
04/16/14 05:22 AM
04/16/14 05:22 AM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Thanks for the review gremlin! The graphics look gorgeous & your description of the 1st part of the game has tempted me to think about buying it in the future. smile

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (flotsam), 259 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users