GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
2 new problems in WinXP and/or IE8 #952054
04/24/14 08:41 PM
04/24/14 08:41 PM
Virginia
Jema Offline OP
Adept Boomer
Jema  Offline OP
Adept Boomer

Virginia
I hope y'all aren't too tired of my messes to help me again. smile

While trying to get IE to download the roots certificates update (discussed in my other thread), I decided to let Windows Update offer again the updates I didn't install the first time, hoping that update would be one of them. It didn't list them all at once – it presented them in dribbles.

In one of the first dribbles was an update for .NET. I decided to install it. Very bad choice!

Problem 1: After the install, I tried to print a document – it wouldn't print. I opened the Printer and Fax folder and found that the update had installed the Microsoft XSS Document Writer and it had ensconced itself as my default printer and my HP printer was no longer working.

I used System Restore to roll back my system prior to installing the .NET update, thinking it would restore my system to its prior state and all would be right with my world again – NOT! It did get rid of the XSS Document Writer, but my Deskjet 682C printer still would not print. In addition to that, I now had

Problem 2: I can't access my ATI Catalyst Control Center! When I try, I get the following error message: "Catalyst Control Center: Monitoring program has encountered a problem and needs to close." At that point, the only option I have is to click on "Close".

More info on the printer: When this XP system was built, HP didn't have (and probably still doesn't) XP drivers for the Deskjet 682C. I had to buy a cable to convert (is that the correct term?) from LPT to USB in order to connect the printer to the computer. Then the XP drivers were installed for the printer, which has worked just fine until the .NET update.

Not having HP drivers, I don't have access to the printer's Toolbox, so I used the Troubleshooter in XP's Help and Support. I did everything it said up to the point where it wants me to uninstall and reinstall the USB port.

That's when I decided it was time to consult all you knowledgeable people. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

wave Jema

Wouldn't that jar your mustard!
Re: 2 new problems in WinXP and/or IE8 [Re: Jema] #952058
04/24/14 09:09 PM
04/24/14 09:09 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
When you try to print something, does Windows give an option to choose your default printer?
If you are able to choose your HP printer and it doesn't print, you might try uninstalling and reinstalling your printer.
The drivers are online ***here***. The 680C and the 682C seem to use the same drivers. When I downloaded from this link, I got a file without an extension, so you might have to add .exe to the end of the file. However ***according to HP***, XP already has drivers for the printer. So uninstalling and reinstalling by letting XP find the drivers may work.

I don't know if your LPT to USB adapter cable requires drivers. I've never used one. You could try plugging it into a different USB port if it doesn't work in the one where it's currently plugged in.

You should be able to uninstall and reinstall the Catalyst drivers. Catalyst drivers do use some version of .NET -- at least the ones I've sued do. But they should prompt to install the .NET version they need.

Re: 2 new problems in WinXP and/or IE8 [Re: Jenny100] #952431
04/26/14 03:17 PM
04/26/14 03:17 PM
Virginia
Jema Offline OP
Adept Boomer
Jema  Offline OP
Adept Boomer

Virginia
Jenny100, thank you for your help.

It turns out the .NET update was not the main problem with the printer. With the jumble of cables under and behind my computer desk, I didn't notice at first that the converter cable and its extension cable had become disconnected from each other.

Once the cables were reconnected, the printer worked. I reinstalled the .NET update to see if that would resolve the problem with the Catalyst Control Center.

I now had the XSS Document Writer back and it wouldn't let me select the HP printer as default. After some research, I deleted the XSS Writer, which restored the HP printer as default and the printer is fine.

The .NET update must have changed one or more files of .NET 2.0 that the Catalyst Control Center originally installed. When I rolled the system back, apparently those changes did not revert to their original state.

Reinstalling the .NET update solved the problem with the CCC.

Thank you again for your help.

wave Jema

Wouldn't that jar your mustard!
Re: 2 new problems in WinXP and/or IE8 [Re: Jema] #952462
04/26/14 04:44 PM
04/26/14 04:44 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Glad you were able to fix it.
Good job!

Re: 2 new problems in WinXP and/or IE8 [Re: Jema] #952487
04/26/14 05:42 PM
04/26/14 05:42 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Online content
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Online Content
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I love persistent people! Nicely done, Jema!

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (manxman, Draclvr, Lex, 1 invisible), 226 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users