GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Paranormal Adventure Game "Moebius: Empire Rising" Now Available for PC/Mac - Live Launch Party 4/15 [Re: Jenny100] #950415
04/16/14 03:56 PM
04/16/14 03:56 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Thanks Jenny100 for the links to the reviews - I've read through some of them just for now but will get around to reading the rest!

I think it's going to be one of those games BrownEyedTigre that you either love or hate? already reflected in some of the reviews!

Re: Paranormal Adventure Game "Moebius: Empire Rising" Now Available for PC/Mac - Live Launch Party 4/15 [Re: chrissie] #950450
04/16/14 06:24 PM
04/16/14 06:24 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
Originally Posted By: chrissie

I'm really not interested in self-indulgent & opinionated views from a reviewer who can't leave them out & can't just get on with using their excellent writing skills to present the pros & cons of a game in balance!

Well, you know, reviews are opinions and subjective by their very nature.
It is the player's experience of the game you get in a review.
I can't really figure out why you called this review "self-indulgent".
In what way?
Could it be that he was so hot because he had expected so much more than he evidently got?

You are predisposed to like Moebius from the sound of things.
From my encounter with the demo (which I didn't finish because it was really so bad, IMO) I am not.
We all have our outlooks on things, our opinionated views.
From what I saw in the demo, mine just happens to be closer to John Walker's.

And now I'm off to play through Part 1 of The Serpent's Curse again, so I can get on with Part 2 and see if Revolution is going to bring it off after a rather tepid (IMO) start.
I backed them because I thought they could create a fun and worthy sequel to BS 1 and 2.
I hope they did and I'll know before too long.

Gil.

"Best not to think about it. I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought."
Re: Paranormal Adventure Game "Moebius: Empire Rising" Now Available for PC/Mac - Live Launch Party 4/15 [Re: traveler] #950523
04/17/14 03:53 AM
04/17/14 03:53 AM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Originally Posted By: traveler

It is the player's experience of the game you get in a review.
I can't really figure out why you called this review "self-indulgent".
In what way?
Could it be that he was so hot because he had expected so much more than he evidently got?

Yes, I do agree that it is the player's experience that you get in a review & for the most part the review included a good description of the game. But there is a difference between having an opinion, a personal point of view & being opinionated where the blinkers are on to any others which shouldn't turn up in a professional review. I found the review self-indulgent in that it contained quite a few spoilers obviously included to add more (unnecessary) weight to his 'argument' against the game with no thought for anyone who wants to play the game (maybe he thought no-one would want to after reading his review!) and the choice of words used + the lack of any positive points included in the closing paragraph! I think that's sad after all of the thought, time & effort that's gone into the game.

Only the reviewer can answer that last question but I found the negative review on GameSpot more balanced & much fairer!

Originally Posted By: traveler
You are predisposed to like Moebius from the sound of things.
From my encounter with the demo (which I didn't finish because it was really so bad, IMO) I am not.
We all have our outlooks on things, our opinionated views.
From what I saw in the demo, mine just happens to be closer to John Walker's.

Yes, I am predisposed to like Moebius as I am for most AGs that I choose to buy - there's very few that I end up not liking!

I haven't got very far with Moebius yet but to be honest I was truly shocked at the poor character modelling in the 1st playable scene & how they stood out from what I thought was a lovely background. But from that scene on I found a big improvement in that the characters gelled more with the backgrounds, a lot of attention had been paid to gestures & poses & a certain stylization of them became apparent (to me).

No, not everyone is going to like this game!

Last edited by chrissie; 04/17/14 05:15 AM.
Re: Paranormal Adventure Game "Moebius: Empire Rising" Now Available for PC/Mac - Live Launch Party 4/15 [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #950588
04/17/14 10:07 AM
04/17/14 10:07 AM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline OP
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline OP
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
A list of reviews can be found here.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Paranormal Adventure Game "Moebius: Empire Rising" Now Available for PC/Mac - Live Launch Party 4/15 [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #950596
04/17/14 10:41 AM
04/17/14 10:41 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Thanks, BrownEyedTigre thumbsup

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Paranormal Adventure Game "Moebius: Empire Rising" Now Available for PC/Mac - Live Launch Party 4/15 [Re: chrissie] #950601
04/17/14 11:20 AM
04/17/14 11:20 AM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
chrissie,

Thank you for a fair and courteous answer. I've seen the comments in another forum and they brought home to me how easy it is to get defensive (or offensive) about this game...or any game you have a strong opinion about...and say things you may not have meant to put so strongly.
Not that some people don't mean every bit of what they say and I'll admit I've been guilty of it myself.

I'll grant you that Walker went overboard in some of the words he used and I probably liked the review despite that because it tickled my (often odd) sense of humor.
However, if you read his previous thoughts about Moebius in July of last year (here:http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/07/17/hands-on-jane-jensens-moebius/), where he says things like this, you might be tempted to cut him a little slack. "...while the puzzles were absolutely contrived, and the circumstances daft, it was the right sort of contrived and daft, and delivered with a deft hand that reminds why Jensen has such a huge reputation (if you pretend Gabriel Knight 3 didn’t happen)."

And again: "It took me a while to put my finger on what it was that felt different about playing the first couple of chapters of Moebius. ...What about all the traditional point-n-click elements being exactly where you’d expect them to be makes this feel different from its peers?

"It’s good!

"It was this that was eluding me. I love adventure games, and as such, I’ll put up with an awful lot. It’s testament to how bad so many are that I still find myself mostly complaining in most reviews. It was peculiar to be experiencing all the silly tropes of the genre, but realising I wasn’t fighting against it to have a good time. It was just letting me."

Does that sound like someone who wanted this game to be awful and was just waiting to pounce on it?
I think you'll agree that it doesn't.
It seems to me that he did what some have accused me of in another instance: set his expectations too high.
For someone who knows who Jane Jensen is, what she's done in the past and his experience of the early build, I suppose that isn't surprising.

Actually, with the exception of some words that could have been left out of that review, I like a strong opinion like his.
I suppose I want a reviewer to "tell me what you really think".
If my interest in a game is high, I might play a game despite a spate of negative reviews but from GK3 onward (which I did play through completely and not only found the graphics awful but the ending the most farcical I can remember, never mind the cat mustache puzzle), I've had little interest in Jane Jensen's games.
Walker, on the other hand, seems to have expected a heck of a lot and when he, in his view, didn't get it, he expressed a heck of a lot of unhappiness about it.
I might have done, too, in his shoes.

Best to you.
I'm glad you're enjoying Moebius and, for the sake of future games JJ might make for her fans, I sincerely hope it does well.

Gil.

"Best not to think about it. I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought."
Re: Paranormal Adventure Game "Moebius: Empire Rising" Now Available for PC/Mac - Live Launch Party 4/15 [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #950616
04/17/14 12:50 PM
04/17/14 12:50 PM
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Traveler

Thank you for the link to that juvenile rant of Mr Walker's. He should tell us what he really feels. I find his rant quite unprofessional, not because I have a strong opinion about the game in either direction. It is his smug superior attitude that I found quite humorous. For instance in this quote below he attempts to impress readers with his superior vocabulary. Someone should point out that Misdirector is not a word. When you nit pic out of pure meanness, as he did with the character's name, he should at least use a real word

"But here’s what I can safely tell. You mostly play as the ludicrously named Malachi Rector (I couldn’t tell if the homonym of “Mr Rector”/”Misdirector” was deliberate, but considering everything else in the plot this would seem an optimistic reach), a New York-based British antiques expert with a purported IQ of 170, a photographic memory, and the personality of a spoilt turd."

Now that we mere civilians are duly impressed with Mr. Walker's intellect in his hit job on an accomplished creative writer we feel compelled to point out Walker's obvious failure to pay attention to detail. Please Mister Walker, when criticizing someone's work double check your own. The quote below is very sloppy.

"Is it any good? Spoiler: No, it’s astonishingly terrible. Here’s wot I think:"

Ah, but you say it was a typo and the error is not yours. Really, that is your defense? Sorry, that's nothing more than a ”Misdirector.” I suggest you use your superior intellect to proof read those servants below you before putting you name on it, for others to read. This is especially important when you write a full scale attack against someone who actually created something.

I've not decided if I will offer a review of my own. It has been awhile since my last. I prefer not to insult your intelligence by suggesting I know more than you, or what you should like. I describe the nuts and bolts believing the reader is intelligent enough to decide if they want to play it or not.

Thank you Mr. Walker for demonstrating how not to write a review and illustrating how easy it is to offend your self important ego. Your review does tell us an awful lot about you.

Re: Paranormal Adventure Game "Moebius: Empire Rising" Now Available for PC/Mac - Live Launch Party 4/15 [Re: traveler] #950617
04/17/14 01:01 PM
04/17/14 01:01 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
It's interesting how John Walker's opinion changed so drastically between his hands on preview and his review.
In one of his comments further down the review page, he says
Originally Posted By: John Walker
As the review says, it began being mildly interesting and charming. And from that, I had hopes. The premise, as I noted back in the preview, was extremely daft in those first two chapters, but there was something pleasingly competent about it all. And it had so much promise. It felt like the beginning of a big, interesting story.

It really wasn’t.

Everything in that preview that evoked, “Gosh, I’m excited about where this is heading!” ended up going nowhere, or just to awful, stupid places. The daftness just becomes utter gibberish. As I said back then, “What I’ve played is far too little to give an impression on whether the story and concept will hold up.” And sadly, it didn’t. At all.

According to "Castledoque" at Adventuregamers forum (post #703 in the Moebius thread)
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/1319/P690
Originally Posted By: Castledoque
there is a drastic change in pace and atmosphere mid-point that might possibly alienate someone. I found the change interesting, but someone else might interpret it otherwise.

So maybe John Walker interpreted it otherwise.
I'm only 3 chapters into the game -- apparently not far enough into it to say whether it all goes bad in the 2nd half.

Re: Paranormal Adventure Game "Moebius: Empire Rising" Now Available for PC/Mac - Live Launch Party 4/15 [Re: Jenny100] #950620
04/17/14 01:35 PM
04/17/14 01:35 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
This is all (posters and reviews alike) making for very interesting reading. I'm going to play the game with an open mind, and see what I think. wave

Re: Paranormal Adventure Game "Moebius: Empire Rising" Now Available for PC/Mac - Live Launch Party 4/15 [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #950621
04/17/14 01:55 PM
04/17/14 01:55 PM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
I finished the game last night. On the whole, I did rather enjoy it. The character animation was fairly awful, and the plot cheerfully preposterous. What did keep me gripped and glued was the burgeoning relationship between Malachi and Walker. It was a constant thrum throughout the game, and an evolving, positive one, I felt. It's good to see LGBTAI relationships addressed in a way such as this, in any gaming genre. thumbsup

"Bleat, Watson -- unmitigated bleat!" ~ Sherlock Holmes
Re: Paranormal Adventure Game "Moebius: Empire Rising" Now Available for PC/Mac - Live Launch Party 4/15 [Re: Rushes] #950622
04/17/14 02:08 PM
04/17/14 02:08 PM
In the Naughty Corner
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Originally Posted By: Rushes
It's good to see LGBTAI relationships addressed in a way such as this, in any gaming genre. thumbsup

Amen to that!

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Paranormal Adventure Game "Moebius: Empire Rising" Now Available for PC/Mac - Live Launch Party 4/15 [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #951400
04/21/14 12:53 PM
04/21/14 12:53 PM
United Kingdom
maggsie Offline
Addicted Boomer
maggsie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi I have tried to buy this game on Amazon they don't have it where do I buy it ?
Regards
maggsie

maggsie
Re: Paranormal Adventure Game "Moebius: Empire Rising" Now Available for PC/Mac - Live Launch Party 4/15 [Re: maggsie] #951405
04/21/14 01:21 PM
04/21/14 01:21 PM
Hicksville, NY USA
S
sanford Offline
Addicted Boomer
sanford  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Hicksville, NY USA
Hi Maggsie,
You can download the game from GOG (my favorite) or from Phoenix Online Studios, and a few others. I'm fairly sure that a BOXED version of this game is NOT available. I hope this info helps you, and ENJOY this game when you DO get it.
Sandy

Re: Paranormal Adventure Game "Moebius: Empire Rising" Now Available for PC/Mac - Live Launch Party 4/15 [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #951408
04/21/14 01:35 PM
04/21/14 01:35 PM
In the Naughty Corner
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Maggsie, per the press release in the first post:

Quote:
Phoenix Online Publishing™ has today released the critically acclaimed paranormal mystery adventure game Moebius: Empire Rising for PC and Mac. Players can enjoy this all-new tale by Jane Jensen, creator of the Gabriel Knight® video game series (and hailed as "the Agatha Christie of adventure games"), for just $29.99 via Phoenix Online's website (http://www.POStudios.com), Steam, GOG and other online stores.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Paranormal Adventure Game "Moebius: Empire Rising" Now Available for PC/Mac - Live Launch Party 4/15 [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #951423
04/21/14 03:10 PM
04/21/14 03:10 PM
United Kingdom
maggsie Offline
Addicted Boomer
maggsie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

United Kingdom
Thanks I have an account with GOG I will go there now.
I have just finished BS 5 so I need something to get me going LOL
Thanks
Regards
maggsie

maggsie
Re: Paranormal Adventure Game "Moebius: Empire Rising" Now Available for PC/Mac - Live Launch Party 4/15 [Re: sanford] #951459
04/21/14 06:38 PM
04/21/14 06:38 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: sanford
I'm fairly sure that a BOXED version of this game is NOT available.

Yup. If anyone wanted a boxed version they had to contribute $100.00 or more during the Kickstarter.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1005365109/jane-jensens-pinkerton-road-2012-2013-csg
I don't see them ever producing a reasonably priced boxed version.

Re: Paranormal Adventure Game "Moebius: Empire Rising" Now Available for PC/Mac - Live Launch Party 4/15 [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #952654
04/27/14 03:17 PM
04/27/14 03:17 PM
Quebec, Canada
C
cyanne Offline
Shy Boomer
cyanne  Offline
Shy Boomer
C

Quebec, Canada
Thanks Anna.

Just finished the game Moebius. It is by far my favorite game this year. Intelligent scenario with lots of analysis, almost no violence compare to games of war and living deads that invades the market this year. I was really desperate to find a game to suit my taste. I love the character of Malachi, intelligent, antisocial and extremely knowlageable and cultivated. Enjoyed the complicity of a "savant and a warrior". The story is most fascinating with the analitic puzzles, a bit like Sherlock Holmes games. I hope there will be a suite to the story.

Cyanne43
Re: Paranormal Adventure Game "Moebius: Empire Rising" Now Available for PC/Mac - Live Launch Party 4/15 [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #952673
04/27/14 04:54 PM
04/27/14 04:54 PM
In the Naughty Corner
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Glad you enjoyed it cyanne!

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 181 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users