GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage    
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#961484 - 06/09/14 09:59 PM Grim Fandango remastered announced!
plswdth Offline
Settled Boomer

During the Sony Keynote at E3, they just announced that a remastered version of Grim Fandango is in the works! They didn't show any in-game graphics and only said that it will be on PS4 and Vita, but hopefully a PC release is also in the works! I'm excited no matter what though, it's my favorite adventure game ever!

#961486 - 06/09/14 10:01 PM Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! [Re: plswdth]
Marian Online   content
True Blue Boomer

Loc: near Yosemite in California
Very interesting. Let's hope for a PC version. smile

#961487 - 06/09/14 10:03 PM Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! [Re: plswdth]
plswdth Offline
Settled Boomer

Edited by plswdth (06/09/14 10:05 PM)

#961488 - 06/09/14 10:04 PM Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! [Re: plswdth]
Marian Online   content
True Blue Boomer

Loc: near Yosemite in California
Looks promising. smile

#961500 - 06/10/14 12:35 AM Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! [Re: plswdth]
Melia Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Texas
I was thinking of Grim Fandango just today, wishing it would work on my computer. This is great news!

#961502 - 06/10/14 12:58 AM Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! [Re: plswdth]
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Rivellon
I just hope that Sony doesn't screw it up by changing the controls IF they've managed to buy Grim from Disney, which seems highly doubtful to me, though I suppose anything's possible.
(It goes without saying that messing with the graphics other than to smooth out the obvious problems with 3D, or the best voices ever in a game would be disastrous.)
I have an extremely hard time making sense of anything on Twitter.

Edit: Well, it looks like it's true.
Here's the announcement on YouTube.
I'm not sure I trust Tim Schafer not to make a botch of it but we'll see.

Gil.
Grim Nut

#961518 - 06/10/14 06:08 AM Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! [Re: traveler]
mj2c Offline
Settled Boomer

Originally Posted By: traveler
I just hope that Sony doesn't screw it up by changing the controls...

Wasn't it the controls that most people complained about? Tank controls as he calls them.
Not sure why he would botch it either:-)

Originally Posted By: Melia
I was thinking of Grim Fandango just today, wishing it would work on my computer. This is great news!

Why doesn't it work?

Edited by BrownEyedTigre (06/10/14 09:56 AM)
Edit Reason: combined stacked posts

#961529 - 06/10/14 07:15 AM Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! [Re: plswdth]
mbday630 Offline
Settled Boomer

What wonderful news! I loved Grim Fandango, but as so many others, hated the clunky navigation/controls. So many things could be improved on; but, the story line is one of the best. I sure am keeping my fingers crossed that this happens.

#961548 - 06/10/14 09:31 AM Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! [Re: mj2c]
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer

Originally Posted By: mj2c
Originally Posted By: traveler
I just hope that Sony doesn't screw it up by changing the controls...

Wasn't it the controls that most people complained about? Tank controls as he calls them.
Not sure why he would botch it either:-)

Well, I just crawled out of bed so my answer may not be as coherent as I'd like but I'll give it a go.

Yes, it was the controls most people complained about.
You use the arrow keys rather than pointing and clicking your way through.
In minutes, you master them and there is no pointy little cursor on the screen reminding you that you are only playing a game.
You have to pay attention to Manny, to stop and look when he does instead of having important things to investigate pointed out to you.
It immensely enhances the immersion so what on earth is the beef?
Isn't that what gamers want?
Immersion?
To feel as if they're there?
I do not understand why gamers can't see that the "tank controls" are perfect for Grim Fandango and a part of why it is the great game that it is.

As far as my not trusting Tim Schafer, here's why and my answer is twofold.
First, there was a saying of sorts back when I studied art: it takes two to make a painting, the artist himself and one to hit him over the head when it's time to stop.
I witnessed the truth of that once when a friend who was wonderful with pen and ink, a difficult and unforgiving medium, drew a ship under full sail and was honestly done but he saw something he thought needed more work and he overworked it.
From then on, the viewer's eye kept coming back to that inconsequential spot.
He realized it too late and tore up what would have been a beautiful example of work with ink and pen if he had just known when to stop.

Well, it's been years since Grim Fandango was released.
Tim Schafer has probably noticed many small details about it he'd like to change, so he's given permission to start tinkering...if Sony agrees.
He fixes this to his liking, he changes that, and suddenly the game loses its brilliance and is just another game because he tinkered too much.
The trouble is, you can't tear up a game, not when so much of other people's money has been thrown into it, so it gets released and the upshot is that gamers are suddenly asking themselves why that is considered a classic and possibly the best adventure game ever made.
It can happen.
I hope not but I see that it easily could.

My second thought is this: if it ever gets into Tim Schafer's hands and is "remastered" for PC - its original platform, once they've finished making it right for Vita and the PS4, and what sense does that make? - I'll likely be pushing up daisies long before he finishes it, whatever kind of job Double Fine might do.
I backed Broken Age in the beginning of 2012.
Two and a half years later, only the first half of the game is finished and playable but he and his team are already working on another game and he had the temerity to say in an email to backers on January 28th: "We're already hard at word on Act 2.... We're not sure exactly when Act 2 will be out, but we promise to release it the second it's awesome."
Not awesome yet, it seems.

Gil.

#961561 - 06/10/14 09:59 AM Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! [Re: plswdth]
BrownEyedTigre Online   happy
The Sassy Global Moderator PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

Loc: In the Naughty Corner
mj2c, it does work with the proper installers. Melia, please see the stickied threads in Glitches forum on how. For any other questions on getting the game to run, please post in glitches.

#961566 - 06/10/14 10:17 AM Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! [Re: plswdth]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

Loc: In Missouri near St. Louis
I'm just the opposite - I thought the clunky controls took attention away from the game and ruined the immersion. And I play shooters and RPGs using a Cyber Snipa gaming keyboard. Some games require me to put a a dozen keys into my brain to use with my left hand instantly. But the keyboard controls for Grim are awkwardly placed and not intuitive at all.

This is very exciting news and I'm glad to hear that one of the world's best games is being remastered!

And, Melia, Grim plays just fine on Windows 7 if you use the installers. I have it on my Windows 8.1 computer and it's working great. Check out the Windows 7 and Games thread in Glitches.

#961570 - 06/10/14 10:27 AM Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! [Re: mbday630]
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer

Originally Posted By: mbday630
I hope that they make it that you can go up the mountain faster and also fix it that you can move faster when you are trying to capture that native.

Mountain?
Native?
I'm afraid you've lost me.
Why would you want to move faster?
Move faster and you are going to overshoot something vital, that's guaranteed.
Impatience does not pay off in Grim Fandango.

Originally Posted By: Draclvr
I'm just the opposite - I thought the clunky controls took attention away from the game and ruined the immersion. And I play shooters and RPGs using a Cyber Snipa gaming keyboard. Some games require me to put a a dozen keys into my brain to use with my left hand instantly. But the keyboard controls for Grim are awkwardly placed and not intuitive at all.

Could that be because you use the arrow keys with your right hand?
What if they allowed you to remap the keys?

Gil.

#961574 - 06/10/14 10:44 AM Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! [Re: plswdth]
mj2c Offline
Settled Boomer

I posted a link (I think last week) of him playing through Grim and he gives an explanation why they made the game and the controls the way they did.

#961579 - 06/10/14 11:01 AM Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! [Re: mj2c]
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
"In minutes, you master them and there is no pointy little cursor on the screen reminding you that you are only playing a game.
You have to pay attention to Manny, to stop and look when he does instead of having important things to investigate pointed out to you.
It immensely enhances the immersion so what on earth is the beef?
Isn't that what gamers want?
Immersion?
To feel as if they're there?
I do not understand why gamers can't see that the "tank controls" are perfect for Grim Fandango and a part of why it is the great game that it is.
"

Oh, it definitely feels like you are there alright !!
The pain from banging into everything whilst trying to master navigation makes sure of that !! lol

Nope. I'm afraid I'm with Draclver on the very clumsy controls.

[In fact a re-mastered point & click version would suit me down to the ground, thank you very much snicker]

#961585 - 06/10/14 11:15 AM Re: Grim Fandango remastered announced! [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
mj2c Offline
Settled Boomer

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
mj2c, it does work with the proper installers. Melia, please see the stickied

I was going to say as I'm almost certain I've played it on Win7.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BrownEyedTigre, Marian, Rushes 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
10 registered (shroeder, Marian, samuel, Pandora, boidsonly, gymcandy1, Laurette, Ewil02, BrownEyedTigre, manxman), 83 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Elentgirl, tiathyme, Mr_Underhill, Lani, Rachissa
8581 Registered Users