GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Best place to buy DRM-free adventure games for Linux? #965002
06/28/14 05:56 AM
06/28/14 05:56 AM
Finland
T
TJL Offline OP
Settled Boomer
TJL  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
T

Finland
Hi,

one friend of mine would like to start playing adventure games but her family has only computers with Linux operating system.

I know there are even hundreds of adventure (related) game titles for Linux at Steam, but what it comes to DRM-free games I'm a bit lost to recommend any site for her.

Any good hints to give?

Thanks is advance,
Timo

Re: Best place to buy DRM-free adventure games for Linux? [Re: TJL] #965043
06/28/14 10:44 AM
06/28/14 10:44 AM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
The Humble store has Linux - Humble Store. Just be sure to select the DRM-Free button when browsing.

Shiny Loot Store also has DRM-Free and Linux games. When browsing select those options to narrow your search. There is also a button on top of the forum to link you there.

Last edited by BrownEyedTigre; 06/28/14 10:47 AM. Reason: Added Shiny Loot

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Best place to buy DRM-free adventure games for Linux? [Re: TJL] #965059
06/28/14 11:35 AM
06/28/14 11:35 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Wyrmkeep has made Linux versions of Inherit the Earth and Labyrinth of Time
http://www.wyrmkeep.com/

Many of the Wadget Eye games can be played on Linux, but they seem to require configuration because they're not exactly "Linux versions." Here's a thread where this is discussed:
http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/forum/index.php?topic=1508.0

Phoenix Online offers Linux versions of a couple of their games if you buy through their website
(***The Last Door***, ***Quest for Infamy***). Quest for Infamy is more of a hybrid adventure/RPG though, the humor may be a problem, and it isn't even available yet.

Many older games can be played in ScummVM, and there are some freeware versions that can be downloaded from ScummVM. Games like "Beneath a Steel Sky" and "Flight of the Amazon Queen" may even install by default on some versions of Linux. There are a few other freeware games that can be downloaded from the Scumm website
http://scummvm.org/games/
ScummVM now supports many games besides LucasArts games, including many Sierra games. It does not matter if you're using the Linux version of ScummVM as opposed to a PC or Mac version, and the list of games includes some Windows games -- not just DOS games.
http://scummvm.org/compatibility/

Many older PC games will work in WINE, however it's not as easy to use as ScummVM. Depending on the expertise of your friends, they may want to stick with ScummVM to start out with.

If you are interested in Humble Bundle, the Wikipedia has an article on it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humble_Bundle
I tend not to trust things where I can't understand the purchasing system, and words like "unlock" in the purchase description don't sound DRM-free to me.
Also, when something claims to be "DRM-free" but requires some sort of client, it isn't truly DRM-free in my opinion. YMMV

I'm glad to see ShinyLoot is offering some adventure games for Linux, like The Raven and The Journey Down. Note that they have two versions of The Raven -- the regular version, and the Collector's (for $5 more).

Re: Best place to buy DRM-free adventure games for Linux? [Re: TJL] #965247
06/29/14 02:40 AM
06/29/14 02:40 AM
Finland
T
TJL Offline OP
Settled Boomer
TJL  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
T

Finland
Thanks for your advice.

The Raven was something I intended to suggest for her to begin with. A classic adventure that is not too difficult. Unfortunately the third chapter isn't as polished as the first two were.

It looks that financially what you spare by using Linux for ideological or other reasons you lose when you have to buy your games mostly at full price, not much sales or campaigns for them.

In future that may be a subject to change. Many have asked why GOG doesn't sell Linux versions of games that originally support it and having read some forums it seems possible that starting this autumn they will start supporting Linux too.

My family has an iMac as an allround computer mainly for browsing the web and using email. It has been running day and night from late 2006 without a single problem. I have played couple of games like Machinarium on it.

For heavier games me and my son have Windows computers. Mine is already behind current standards and still running XP but it runs well all those 100+ adventure games I own. My other love in games is race simulations and I mean real simulations like GT Legends, not any arcade games. For those I have a specific racing seat, wheel, H-shifter and pedals including clutch.

Compared to Macs I believe Windows computers are for masochists, you always have to patch this and that. I'm happy to see there are more and more games for other operating systems than just Windows these days. For my next computer there may be more realistic choices than back in 2007.

Timo

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (ergggo, 1 invisible), 329 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users